Championship window is closing.

davis224
Fantasy
165th
12/10/2019 11:28am
Helda wrote:
Id happely wager a $50 that Anderson doesn't win a race next SX season
davis224 wrote:
Barring injury, I'd probably take that bet. Terms?
Helda wrote:
No terms to speak of, if he wins a race next season ill pay you $50 and if he doesnt win you pay me.
I'm a bit too poor right now to also bet that he doesn't break a collarbone before A1 or the halfway point. I could be convinced to put $5 on him winning Anaheim. I'm pretty sure he's more than capable of winning in 2020, but I wouldn't have put money on Roczen not winning a main last year either.
12/10/2019 12:00pm
mxb2 wrote:
They were all healthy enough to win last year. No more excuses. Tomac,had 2 destroyed shoulders, injured before A1 last year. But we only hear about...
They were all healthy enough to win last year. No more excuses. Tomac,had 2 destroyed shoulders, injured before A1 last year. But we only hear about kroc injuries.
Exactly this. Tomac came in with a broken back last year and I believe he said he missed about a month of riding before A1 because of it.
SEE ARE125
12/10/2019 12:01pm Edited Date/Time 12/10/2019 12:05pm
“The window may be closing, BUT THE DOOR’S WIDE OPEN!” - Ralph probably.
WCRider
Fantasy
2287th
12/10/2019 12:29pm
Listen again The Whiskey Throttle Show with Eli to remember how bad his injury was.

The Shop

kage173
12/10/2019 12:30pm
I agree with the OP. It doesn't matter what the reasons are, there is a tight window. I think it's stunning that we are coming to the end of that and neither 3 nor 94 has a supercross championship. I thought each would have 2 by now. In my mind it was taken by Dungey extending his championship run. And that, in turn, speaks to how superior the Ryans were to both the current generation and the one before them.

In my mind Dungey cut the Reed/Stewart era short and ate a lot of clock on the Tomac/Roczen era. And when you consider that Villopoto beat him every time but once; it just speaks to how much better the Ryans were.
MelonFan123
12/10/2019 2:05pm
Pretty crazy the CRF450 hasn’t won a supercross title in its existence. And only one outdoor title. Maybe this is the year
Wow. Never thought about that but pretty mind boggling statistic.

Big Red is the only manufacturer to not win a SX title on a 450. Surprised this drought doesn't get more attention. Its mentioned here and there but this is like our sports version of the Boston Red Sox world series drought.

the CRF450 came out in 2002 so we're only talking 18 seasons, but when there are only 6 others involved..
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
12/10/2019 2:14pm
kage173 wrote:
I agree with the OP. It doesn't matter what the reasons are, there is a tight window. I think it's stunning that we are coming to...
I agree with the OP. It doesn't matter what the reasons are, there is a tight window. I think it's stunning that we are coming to the end of that and neither 3 nor 94 has a supercross championship. I thought each would have 2 by now. In my mind it was taken by Dungey extending his championship run. And that, in turn, speaks to how superior the Ryans were to both the current generation and the one before them.

In my mind Dungey cut the Reed/Stewart era short and ate a lot of clock on the Tomac/Roczen era. And when you consider that Villopoto beat him every time but once; it just speaks to how much better the Ryans were.
One thing that's interesting about the recent past is that we've had a lot of riders who end up dominant in their era, and keep others off the top of the box.

The part I've been enjoying about the last season or so are the number of potential winners. I also like going to the races and not knowing ahead of time who will make up the podium. During the Ryans area there were slight variances, but it was pretty predictable.
davistld01
12/10/2019 2:17pm
kage173 wrote:
I agree with the OP. It doesn't matter what the reasons are, there is a tight window. I think it's stunning that we are coming to...

GuyB wrote:
One thing that's interesting about the recent past is that we've had a lot of riders who end up dominant in their era, and keep others...
One thing that's interesting about the recent past is that we've had a lot of riders who end up dominant in their era, and keep others off the top of the box.

The part I've been enjoying about the last season or so are the number of potential winners. I also like going to the races and not knowing ahead of time who will make up the podium. During the Ryans area there were slight variances, but it was pretty predictable.
Ditto. Some of us here were fans back in the 80's and 90's...and until MC came into the spotlight and was so dominant, it was anybody's race for the winning pretty much. Yeah, Team Honda had a juggernaut of a team at one time that was hard to beat...but it's nice to have a little excitement now with so many riders who are capable of winning if they get a start and everything goes their way.
McG194
12/11/2019 4:58am
GuyB wrote:
One thing that's interesting about the recent past is that we've had a lot of riders who end up dominant in their era, and keep others...

I think that because SX is such a confidence sport it lends itself to a rider dominating a season and an era like the Ryans, RC, and MC have all done. These past couple years have been fun to watch.

Pretty safe to say that no one was picking Anderson and Webb for the last two championships so we have no idea what this year will bring. If AC doesn't win a single race I won't be surprised, if AC wins the tile I won't be surprised.

Bring on A1!!!!
seventeen
12/11/2019 5:23am
b_kowalsk wrote:
I still put Eli and Ken above Webb and AC as the heavy hitters in the class.
When Ken and Eli are on there is no way Webb, Anderson or anyone else has the speed to go with them; AC yet to be determined. Ken and Eli's biggest problem is themselves...inconsistency or injury...never the speed.
seventeen
12/11/2019 5:25am
kage173 wrote:

GuyB wrote:

That is why when a poll was done recently asking about the best era in mx/sx I answered NOW!!
McG194
12/11/2019 8:54am
WCRider wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/12/11/390656/s1200_79093214_1439557439543430_3005219274487758848_o.jpg[/img]

What could have been...……………………………..
tp4
12/12/2019 6:45pm
entertaining..thanks
McG194
12/13/2019 4:43am
WCRider wrote:
[embed][/embed]
That and a quarter will get you a steaming hot cup of jack shit.

If there were pre season power rankings the last 3 years Eli would be on top for every year.

Pre season rankings mean less than nothing.
kage173
12/13/2019 4:51am
kage173 wrote:

GuyB wrote:

davistld01 wrote:
Ditto. Some of us here were fans back in the 80's and 90's...and until MC came into the spotlight and was so dominant, it was anybody's...
Ditto. Some of us here were fans back in the 80's and 90's...and until MC came into the spotlight and was so dominant, it was anybody's race for the winning pretty much. Yeah, Team Honda had a juggernaut of a team at one time that was hard to beat...but it's nice to have a little excitement now with so many riders who are capable of winning if they get a start and everything goes their way.
I totally agree. I didnt like the MC or the RC era. It was boring.

But I think we are just in transition and sx wise 94 and 3 missed out. The 2 is about to break away from the pack and be the next guy.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
12/13/2019 9:48am
b_kowalsk wrote:
McG194 wrote:
Can't say that Webb isn't a heavy hitter. He is the champ and the champ is the champ until he isn't the champ. Eli is in...
Can't say that Webb isn't a heavy hitter. He is the champ and the champ is the champ until he isn't the champ.

Eli is in real danger of being the greatest Supercross racer to have never won a title.
Interesting take on Eli, and I agree. Who would you put in that #1 spot right now? Windham? Bradshaw?
I'm going with KW. If Ricky hadn't been around, he'd be a 7-time champion or something like that.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
12/13/2019 12:43pm
Falcon wrote:
Interesting take on Eli, and I agree. Who would you put in that #1 spot right now? Windham? Bradshaw? I'm going with KW. If Ricky hadn't...
Interesting take on Eli, and I agree. Who would you put in that #1 spot right now? Windham? Bradshaw?
I'm going with KW. If Ricky hadn't been around, he'd be a 7-time champion or something like that.
Bradshaw and Windham would be up there based on number of SX wins with no titles indoors or out, you would also have to include Glover. He won 6 National titles and no Supercross titles (missed 85 by 2 points) and he won a lot of races back when they didn’t have 17 Supercross races a year.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
12/13/2019 1:50pm
^I remember the year Glover lost to Ward. There was some controversy about JW riding backward on the track at one round, and also one really gnarly block pass. I don't remember the details, but I do remember Glover saying "That's racing." Class act.
McG194
12/16/2019 3:12pm
b_kowalsk wrote:
McG194 wrote:
Can't say that Webb isn't a heavy hitter. He is the champ and the champ is the champ until he isn't the champ. Eli is in...
Can't say that Webb isn't a heavy hitter. He is the champ and the champ is the champ until he isn't the champ.

Eli is in real danger of being the greatest Supercross racer to have never won a title.
Falcon wrote:
Interesting take on Eli, and I agree. Who would you put in that #1 spot right now? Windham? Bradshaw? I'm going with KW. If Ricky hadn't...
Well, if Eli never wins a title it is him hands down.

Between Bradshaw and Windham I would pick Bradshaw.

Windham was active during the time when 1-6 on the all times wins list were active. There really wasn't a lot of spare titles laying around when you have to deal with MC, RC, Bubba, Chad, and the Ryans. Getting 18 wins against those guys is quite an accomplishment.

As far as Bradshaw, he was the next big thing and he was expected to dominate the sport for years. Unfortunately he ran into a guy from Michigan that had other ideas.
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2582nd
12/17/2019 1:45pm
commenting on the above..

Soo if Tomac wins 1sx title... hes the best SX racer ever?
How does that work? its a series, not a sprint.

consistency is the whole part of a championship.
id rank Tomac top 10 SX racers. but not top 3.

Raw speed, one of the fastest guys we have seen in the past 7 years. But there is no way he is up as one of the greats in SX.
Motocross.. different story. he deserves all the credit in the world for that side of the sport.

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
12/17/2019 4:09pm
commenting on the above.. Soo if Tomac wins 1sx title... hes the best SX racer ever? How does that work? its a series, not a sprint...
commenting on the above..

Soo if Tomac wins 1sx title... hes the best SX racer ever?
How does that work? its a series, not a sprint.

consistency is the whole part of a championship.
id rank Tomac top 10 SX racers. but not top 3.

Raw speed, one of the fastest guys we have seen in the past 7 years. But there is no way he is up as one of the greats in SX.
Motocross.. different story. he deserves all the credit in the world for that side of the sport.

You missed the definition: "Greatest SX racer to have NEVER won a title." Among those riders who never took a title, he's the best. It doesn't mean he'd be the greatest among those who did win one (that honor belongs to MC.)
If he wins a championship, that gets him out of the class of greats who never won one, and thus he's no longer the greatest who never became champ.

Post a reply to: Championship window is closing.

The Latest