Championship window is closing.

Related:
Create New Tag

12/8/2019 4:44 PM

With Marvin being lost for the season his chances of a SX title are pretty much over. I have some others that are on the way out or out. At one time Barcia could be considered a serious title threat but now he may win another race or two but his window is closed. The two that have the most to win or lose this year is Kenny and Eli. Both have been in the 450 class full time since the 2014 season so this year will be their 7th in the premier class. If neither win this year I think they missed their chance. No one has ever won their first title this deep into their career. You add that to the fact that the last two champions are still around and younger than Eli or Kenny. Add in that AC is a legit threat that will only get better along with fast 250 guys ready to move up, and 2020 is the last best chance for those two. I'm calling it now that at least one of those two will not win a SX title and if neither win this year they never will.

|

12/8/2019 6:49 PM

Harsh but very realistic.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

12/9/2019 5:15 AM

Sounds about right

|

12/9/2019 5:22 AM

Falcon wrote:

Harsh but very realistic.

X2.

Kenny and elis window is still open. Eli is a 3x mx champion. No reason that cant transfer to sx.

But i think the AC/Webb era is upon us.

|

12/9/2019 5:26 AM

I still put Eli and Ken above Webb and AC as the heavy hitters in the class.

|

12/9/2019 5:43 AM

Fair assessment.

|

12/9/2019 5:44 AM

Can't forget about Jason Anderson..If healthy and motivated defiantly has the speed to win another one

|

12/9/2019 6:02 AM

b_kowalsk wrote:

I agree. I am an AC fan first and foremost, but Eli and Kenny have the veteran skill set at this point. I’d love to see AC win a boat load of races and championships, but it may take a bit and that’s cool.

Webb is obviously right up there but raw speed Eli has him covered.

|

12/9/2019 6:24 AM

I read somewhere that no one has ever won their first championship after their 3rd year in the class.

Both Eli and Roczen are under secure long-term contracts, but these will likely be their last high-dollar deals, or last years before they retire period unless they finally deliver the SX #1.

In this field, I think Eli and Kenny have a very good chance at breaking that trend, but Webb isn't likely going to roll over and give it to them. Will be interesting to see if Anderson can regain his 2018 speed and intensity while staying consistent. We could also see Webb struggle the way Anderson struggled last year with the #1 so who knows.

It's a great time to be a fan.

|

12/9/2019 6:41 AM

TriRacer27 wrote:

I read somewhere that no one has ever won their first championship after their 3rd year in the class.

Both Eli and Roczen are under secure long-term contracts, but these will likely be their last high-dollar deals, or last years before they retire period unless they finally deliver the SX #1.

In this field, I think Eli and Kenny have a very good chance at breaking that trend, but Webb isn't likely going to roll over and give it to them. Will be interesting to see if Anderson can regain his 2018 speed and intensity while staying consistent. We could also see Webb struggle the way Anderson struggled last year with the #1 so who knows.

It's a great time to be a fan.

emig won it in his 5th or 6th year i think and anderson was atleast 3 years in right?

|

12/9/2019 6:44 AM

I think barcia is much younger than marvin. Either way they both have my respect.

|

12/9/2019 6:53 AM

I think the odds are getting a little long, but he could still pull it off.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

12/9/2019 6:54 AM

I think Osborne is gonna be up there also, fast and not scared to mix it up!

|

12/9/2019 6:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/9/2019 6:55 AM

b_kowalsk wrote:

I'm a big fan of KR94 and hope that dude can nab a title. Watching AC battle up front at the monster cup, I hope he will give Coop a run for his $.

|

12/9/2019 7:36 AM

makmcguire wrote:

With Marvin being lost for the season his chances of a SX title are pretty much over. I have some others that are on the way out or out. At one time Barcia could be considered a serious title threat but now he may win another race or two but his window is closed. The two that have the most to win or lose this year is Kenny and Eli. Both have been in the 450 class full time since the 2014 season so this year will be their 7th in the premier class. If neither win this year I think they missed their chance. No one has ever won their first title this deep into their career. You add that to the fact that the last two champions are still around and younger than Eli or Kenny. Add in that AC is a legit threat that will only get better along with fast 250 guys ready to move up, and 2020 is the last best chance for those two. I'm calling it now that at least one of those two will not win a SX title and if neither win this year they never will.

I know everyone loves Adam and hes the big fan favorite etc and many folks are calling him a serious title contender but that guy turned pro in '13, and I understand injuries are a big part of this sport, but he was never able to close the deal in a 250 SX regional series. Now he gets twice as many rounds, longer mains, and much tougher competition. Gone are the days of 8 rounds with Jimmy D and a group of 17yo's. I like Adam and he very well could be the next Ryan Dungey, but let's see if he can run the pace in the 450 mains all season without being pressured into mistakes 4 laps in. So far Joey hasn't been able to, perhaps AC will fair better. We shall see.

|

12/9/2019 7:42 AM

Monte122 wrote:

I think Osborne is gonna be up there also, fast and not scared to mix it up!

Yes, love Osbourne, that guy is a killer. He has had a different career trajectory than the average rider and is still a major player for sure. Bummer with him and Musquin is the age thing. Those guys are both 30, (MM will be this month), and 30 these days in moto isn't the same as 30 was in moto in 1987 but will certainly be groundbreaking if either of these guys can win a 450 title before they're done. Odds are against it but if anyone can do it its 16.

|

12/9/2019 7:53 AM

Jdawggg wrote:

Can't forget about Jason Anderson..If healthy and motivated defiantly has the speed to win another one

My thoughts exactly....El Hombre isn't some fluke, dude is serious threat

|

Kevin Windham‏ @kdub_14

Not 1factory racer hasnt been told that if ucan help teammate out, then do it 4 championship. Few r in a position like MM25 #partofthesport

12/9/2019 8:16 AM

Jdawggg wrote:

bultokid wrote:

To who? Reed?

|

12/9/2019 8:26 AM

Jdawggg wrote:

bultokid wrote:

Helda wrote:

To who? Reed?

Id happely wager a $50 that Anderson doesn't win a race next SX season

|

12/9/2019 8:51 AM

Helda wrote:

I am sure by the time JA21 wins his first SX in 2020 you won't pay to anyone this $50 bucks you are betting.

|

12/9/2019 9:05 AM

Helda wrote:

To who? Reed?

Helda wrote:

FerCzD wrote:

I am sure by the time JA21 wins his first SX in 2020 you won't pay to anyone this $50 bucks you are betting.

Isn’t $50 US about $250 Oz? laughing

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

12/9/2019 9:06 AM

bultokid wrote:

Helda wrote:

To who? Reed?

Helda wrote:

Barring injury, I'd probably take that bet. Terms?

|

12/9/2019 9:11 AM

kb228 wrote:

X2.

Kenny and elis window is still open. Eli is a 3x mx champion. No reason that cant transfer to sx.

But i think the AC/Webb era is upon us.

Eli's chances are sinking. His outdoors haven't transferred yet so I think he's running out of time. I would say with Marvin out it ups Eli's chances. I never really thought Marvin was a real strong title contender but played a huge role as a spoiler. I think AC will win a title before Webb wins another.
All this stuff is out the window if anyone gets hurt.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

12/9/2019 10:32 AM

Jdawggg wrote:

in my original post I mentioned him. Anderson is legit and a threat every time he is on the gate.

|

12/9/2019 10:33 AM

b_kowalsk wrote:

Can't say that Webb isn't a heavy hitter. He is the champ and the champ is the champ until he isn't the champ.

Eli is in real danger of being the greatest Supercross racer to have never won a title.

|

12/9/2019 12:02 PM

Helda wrote:

To who? Reed?

Helda wrote:

davis224 wrote:

Barring injury, I'd probably take that bet. Terms?

No terms to speak of, if he wins a race next season ill pay you $50 and if he doesnt win you pay me.

|

12/9/2019 12:03 PM

Helda wrote:

FerCzD wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:

Isn’t $50 US about $250 Oz? laughing

$50us TG, hey i remember when $1aud was worth more then $1US....good times ordering parts from over there... wont be long and it will be back there..

|

12/9/2019 12:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/9/2019 12:06 PM

Helda wrote:

To who? Reed?

Helda wrote:

FerCzD wrote:

If by some miracle he wins ill pay, his championship year he only won 4 races i dont see him getting a sniff next year unless roczen and tomac are hurt.

|

12/9/2019 12:40 PM

bultokid wrote:

Helda wrote:

To who? Reed?

Helda wrote:

You're on...$50 USD, loser pays Road2Recovery

|

Kevin Windham‏ @kdub_14

Not 1factory racer hasnt been told that if ucan help teammate out, then do it 4 championship. Few r in a position like MM25 #partofthesport

12/9/2019 12:50 PM

Done amd if i win $50us to beyond blue

|