Chad reed wouldn't sign my replica front plate

thereal87
Edited Date/Time 11/17/2017 10:22am
Went to AUS-x open on the Saturday just gone. Stood in the autograph light for an hour only for reedy to say "I'm so sorry I can't sign that" I had a heap of replica front plates of all the big name riders that showed up (RC4, Wilson, Anderson and Ronnie Mac) all of them gladly signed other than reedy, I was sorta bummed. Anyone know his deal?
|
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
11/12/2017 8:14pm
My best guess is he doesn't like to see people getting stuff like that signed and then ebaying it for their profits. Unfortunately, a few bad apples can ruin it for the genuine fans.
PJ205
11/12/2017 8:15pm
^what he said. At least he said "im so sorry" beforehand, which shows you that he wasn't trying to be a dick about it.
BobPA
11/12/2017 8:19pm
What a turd move.
MX Guy
Fantasy
668th
11/12/2017 8:29pm Edited Date/Time 11/12/2017 8:29pm
I get the whole "undeserved profit" thing...

To reject a fan whilst in Australia, though? Man... that's a doozy.

The Shop

thereal87
11/12/2017 8:32pm
I can understand about the whole onselling thing to make profit, but I just wanted to get it signed then stick it to a cycra plate and put it in the man cave
FARANG
11/12/2017 8:39pm
I don't see why it's any different to signing a jersey or a poster, you could Ebay that for a profit as well.

Autographs are worth money, if riders don't like that someone can buy something, queue up for an hour for a signature and then resell for a small profit then I guess they can refuse to sign anything but it seems a little petty to me for a guy worth millions to begrudge that of someone.

How do they know it's for profit and not for a personal display at home anyway? Weird.
agn5009
11/12/2017 8:40pm
My best guess is he doesn't like to see people getting stuff like that signed and then ebaying it for their profits. Unfortunately, a few bad...
My best guess is he doesn't like to see people getting stuff like that signed and then ebaying it for their profits. Unfortunately, a few bad apples can ruin it for the genuine fans.
Even so, who cares? Why does Chad care if one guy wants to sell an autographed item to another person who wants it? Two consenting people making a transaction is a bad thing??
jeffro503
11/12/2017 8:42pm
That's kinda screwed up. One signature and he could of been talked up on here as a good dude. Instead....he didn't sign , because he wouldn't get any money for it.....then looks like a dick. I'm a big fan of Chad....but that was kind of a dick move.
JM485
11/12/2017 8:53pm
Sounds like a lot of words are getting put in his mouth and thoughts put in his head in this thread. Is everyone certain that's why he didn't sign it, or is that just speculation people are jumping on? If that quote is direct it leads me to believe it might be for reasons other than just not wanting a plate on eBay.

I'm thinking there might be other reasons at play, but regardless it's a bummer for the OP and I can understand him being kind of of pissed.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
11/12/2017 9:29pm
Didn't want to flood the market, pure economics.
Hut
11/12/2017 9:31pm
Why is it always something weird with Reed?
I am not in his shoes though I'd probably be a even bigger dick and not sign anything but the paychecks... Laughing
Tonynz
11/12/2017 9:32pm
I remember going to a few V8 Super car meetings, a lot of the drivers would only sign a photo if they personalised to you, that was to stop you scanning photo with signature to resell it.
jemcee
11/12/2017 9:37pm
I don't really understand autographs so maybe I'm missing the point but this is why I'd hate to be a professional athlete or famous person these days.. You have to be exactly the person people want you to be or they'll go on the internet and tell everyone how disappointed they are..

No thread started about how good it was that the other guys signed just a negative one about the guy that didn't
BobPA
11/12/2017 9:41pm
jemcee wrote:
I don't really understand autographs so maybe I'm missing the point but this is why I'd hate to be a professional athlete or famous person these...
I don't really understand autographs so maybe I'm missing the point but this is why I'd hate to be a professional athlete or famous person these days.. You have to be exactly the person people want you to be or they'll go on the internet and tell everyone how disappointed they are..

No thread started about how good it was that the other guys signed just a negative one about the guy that didn't
Would you be belly aching this hard if it were about a rider from the States?
toomanykaws
11/12/2017 9:51pm
Years ago RC and Reed were at a Fox store signing. I took one those MXS Reed Kawi cycles in the case. And RC on a Honda. Gave the Kaw to my wife. She hands it to Reed to sign the look on his face was priceless. RC signed the Honda for me. They both looked at each other and laughed. Store had a drawing while this was going on. I won a Fox hat and shirt. So I get RC to sign them both. Reed says you want me to sign it also. I said no that's ok.
I ran into John Force at the APEX show. He was about to start signing for a companies booth. He still talking to me. Sees a guy in line with a huge bag full of die cast. He says to the guy " come on man, I don't have time for that its not fair to anybody." He says " pick out your favorite toy and I will sign it. " We were rolling. Guy prob 50. Then another in line stole Johns carboard cutout from the side of the booth as if its his own and wanted it signed. John says " you stole part of the booth?" He is a riot. Signed an alum rod and piston from his engine for me. Sits in my case at home. Anyone who sees it has to hold it.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
11/12/2017 9:52pm
What brand of plate was it? Maybe it was a manufacture thing, no more Yamaha.
thereal87
11/12/2017 10:01pm
What brand of plate was it? Maybe it was a manufacture thing, no more Yamaha.
That's exactly what I asked him and he sort of shrugged it off, but the poster he gave me and signed was of him on a Yamaha anyway ?
thereal87
11/12/2017 10:03pm
jemcee wrote:
I don't really understand autographs so maybe I'm missing the point but this is why I'd hate to be a professional athlete or famous person these...

Well myself I would say at least a couple of hundred fans had paid their local graphics company to print out a 22 plate to get signed to hang up in their man cave only for reed to turn is away, I'm still a reed fan just a bit bummed about it tbh
Ti
11/12/2017 10:14pm
jemcee wrote:

Post did not sound negative... OP sounded like he was curious as to the reason why Chad would not sign the plate. I can tell you this- Chad signed one for my daughters. The plate was one from his race bike, so he might only sign the real ones??? My girls also gave the plate away 15 minutes later to a little boy. Poor little guy had fallen down and skinned the whole side of his face and was crying up a storm right up till the time he was handed Chad's plate. Proud moment for my wife and I. Anyway I hope Chad has an INCREDIBLE year!!
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
11/12/2017 10:54pm
Years ago RC and Reed were at a Fox store signing. I took one those MXS Reed Kawi cycles in the case. And RC on a...
Years ago RC and Reed were at a Fox store signing. I took one those MXS Reed Kawi cycles in the case. And RC on a Honda. Gave the Kaw to my wife. She hands it to Reed to sign the look on his face was priceless. RC signed the Honda for me. They both looked at each other and laughed. Store had a drawing while this was going on. I won a Fox hat and shirt. So I get RC to sign them both. Reed says you want me to sign it also. I said no that's ok.
I ran into John Force at the APEX show. He was about to start signing for a companies booth. He still talking to me. Sees a guy in line with a huge bag full of die cast. He says to the guy " come on man, I don't have time for that its not fair to anybody." He says " pick out your favorite toy and I will sign it. " We were rolling. Guy prob 50. Then another in line stole Johns carboard cutout from the side of the booth as if its his own and wanted it signed. John says " you stole part of the booth?" He is a riot. Signed an alum rod and piston from his engine for me. Sits in my case at home. Anyone who sees it has to hold it.
When I was a kid(5-6years old) I was at a drag race with my dad and my he asked John Force to sign his poster and write, “To Joe”. John said no, wrote his name, handed it back and walked away. To this day my dad still doesn’t like him.
11/12/2017 11:22pm
jemcee wrote:

I agree, it's a little OT but we only get to interact with these riders on the most important day of the week for them and make our judgments of character based on that. It's a little unfair IMO, the rider is there to do a job and while part of it definitely consists of being personable to the fans, it mainly consists of whooping ass on the track.
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
11/12/2017 11:51pm
Pretty sure the same thing happend last year, a few friends tried to get plates signed by the Yamaha riders but they would not sign non genuine Yamaha plates.

Not sure what the deal was, just what I was told from those who lined up. They had no issue with any other teams or riders.
calcoast
11/13/2017 12:16am
I always have the person I’m getting an autograph from personalize it. Makes it more “personal” lol and they probably feel there’s less chance of me selling it.
Crush
11/13/2017 12:35am
jemcee wrote:

Ti wrote:
Post did not sound negative... OP sounded like he was curious as to the reason why Chad would not sign the plate. I can tell you...
Post did not sound negative... OP sounded like he was curious as to the reason why Chad would not sign the plate. I can tell you this- Chad signed one for my daughters. The plate was one from his race bike, so he might only sign the real ones??? My girls also gave the plate away 15 minutes later to a little boy. Poor little guy had fallen down and skinned the whole side of his face and was crying up a storm right up till the time he was handed Chad's plate. Proud moment for my wife and I. Anyway I hope Chad has an INCREDIBLE year!!
You're doing a great job with the kids man, that is awesome!
brash
11/13/2017 1:29am
I might be wrong but he has a deal with a collectable company here that's why.
fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
11/13/2017 1:35am Edited Date/Time 11/13/2017 1:36am
You should have seen his reaction when I asked him to sign my team22 table cover.
jemcee
11/13/2017 3:39am
jemcee wrote:

Ti wrote:
Post did not sound negative... OP sounded like he was curious as to the reason why Chad would not sign the plate. I can tell you...
Yeah shit, may have read a little more sting than was written haha but I stand by my first paragraph just a bit more as a general comment than directed at OP

Also ya little girl rules

Post a reply to: Chad reed wouldn't sign my replica front plate

The Latest