Chad Reed refused to sign replica front plate made by factory Fx

Lightning78
2/29/2020 9:36am
toroP wrote:
You talked to his people. Did you ask them?
All they said was “he can’t sign that and no one is supposed to sell them” I never got a straight answer as to why though.
That's a pretty dickish thing to do to a kid that had no idea and just wanted his autograph......replica or not, I'm sure the autograph was all the kid bbn probably wanted. Hell if it were me and he said that to my kid (if I had one) I'd pull out a post it like paper and say ask if he was allowed to sign this.

The least Reed could've done is grabbed one of HIS actual front number plates, sign it and give it to your kid. Sheesh....

It's not like some grown ass man walked up with a stack of replica plates hoping to get them signed clearly indicating he probably gonna turn around and sell them on ebay but if you walked up with your kid I think it's kind of salty of him to flat out say "no I can sign that"
kkawboy14
2/29/2020 9:38am
He should have just given you a fake/replica signature
Lightning78
2/29/2020 9:41am
OldPro277 wrote:
I can't understand all the 22 bashing going on. He has always been a cool, laid back dude in my experiences. . My daughter and son-in-law...
I can't understand all the 22 bashing going on. He has always been a cool, laid back dude in my experiences. . My daughter and son-in-law have gotten multiple number plates and a couple of jerseys signed by Chad. They even ran into him on vacation one year at Universal Studios in Orlando while he was with Elle and the kids and he even signed their hats and the shirt my daughter was wearing,took pics with them ,etc etc.
They were in line behind them for a ride and my daughter didn't want to bug them, but she leaned forward and whispered to him " Don't mean to bother you, but you look just like Chad Reed" lol.

There has to be a legit reason that he wouldn't sign that plate replica for the young dude, my daughter and her husband are 30yo and hes never had issues signing anything for them. And being that he offered to sign other items for the kid , I don't understand why all the hate spewing out here.
Hate spewing? In pretty sure "The Chad" has done this sort of thing before ....a couple of times. It was for the OP's kid and like I said in my comment above, if he didnt like the fact that it was a replica plate (if and only if that WAS the case) the cool thing to do would've been to give him one of his actual (used or not) plates and tossed the "replica"
bonseff
2/29/2020 9:43am
Maybe he'll sign a LCQ standing sheet.

The Shop

APLMAN99
2/29/2020 9:46am
Zaugg wrote:
If the OP wanted a signature for his nephew, why not have Chad sign the kid's T-shirt or a poster when he declined to sign the...
If the OP wanted a signature for his nephew, why not have Chad sign the kid's T-shirt or a poster when he declined to sign the number plate?

Sounds like getting the signature on a fake "trophy" piece (number plate) was more important to the OP than to the nephew.

OP - "Can you sign my nephew's number plate?"
Chad - "Sorry Mate...I can't sign that."
OP - "Right on...can you sign my nephew's t-shirt or a poster then?"
Chad's most likely response - "Sure"

I don't see why this is such an issue.

Because the OP didn't get what he wanted, he decided it was a better idea to put Chad on blast in the biggest MX forum on the planet. Smart move bud. If he had any remorse for not signing that number plate, I'm sure he DGAF now.

Yeah, it's an entitlement thing. "Give my kid/nephew what he wants or you are an asshole!" Training the next generation to be the next Veruca Salt...… (And NOT the kickass band either)

I've always tried to teach my kids that autographs are meaningless. For the most part I think they all have gotten it. The first National that I took my oldest son to at Washougal was fun because he would actually wait in some of the lines for the little posters that the riders were given out and when the rider would ask if he wanted it signed, he'd say "No thank you" and walk to the next spot. He just wanted the posters for his wall.

We ended up at the pits for Larry Ward and he was just sitting in a lawn chair up against the trailer. I had instructions from a friend's wife to tell him hello because they had grown up together near Snohomish/Monroe. It was hilarious because as we were talking Larry sort of grabbed my son by the shoulders and turned him around and signed the back of his shirt up near the shoulder, almost out of habit. My son had this really weird look on his face like "What the heck just happened?"

I wish I had a video of it.

The one autograph that I know that my son did get was on a snowboard by a guy who used to own a board/skate shop here. It was one of Joey's "signature" boards by Lib Tech I believe. But that isn't something with monetary value, it was just more of a sentimental thing because Joey had basically helped him with his riding for so many years and it's a very sentimental item fro somoene that he knew very well.
bonseff
2/29/2020 9:50am
I was at Al Lamb's Honda a couple years ago at their supercross event, I was outfitting my daughter with some gear, she was four years old. I had to buy whatever fit off the rack. We stood in line and the whole team signed the jersey. Give me a break.
OldPro277
2/29/2020 9:56am
OldPro277 wrote:
I can't understand all the 22 bashing going on. He has always been a cool, laid back dude in my experiences. . My daughter and son-in-law...
I can't understand all the 22 bashing going on. He has always been a cool, laid back dude in my experiences. . My daughter and son-in-law have gotten multiple number plates and a couple of jerseys signed by Chad. They even ran into him on vacation one year at Universal Studios in Orlando while he was with Elle and the kids and he even signed their hats and the shirt my daughter was wearing,took pics with them ,etc etc.
They were in line behind them for a ride and my daughter didn't want to bug them, but she leaned forward and whispered to him " Don't mean to bother you, but you look just like Chad Reed" lol.

There has to be a legit reason that he wouldn't sign that plate replica for the young dude, my daughter and her husband are 30yo and hes never had issues signing anything for them. And being that he offered to sign other items for the kid , I don't understand why all the hate spewing out here.
Hate spewing? In pretty sure "The Chad" has done this sort of thing before ....a couple of times. It was for the OP's kid and like...
Hate spewing? In pretty sure "The Chad" has done this sort of thing before ....a couple of times. It was for the OP's kid and like I said in my comment above, if he didnt like the fact that it was a replica plate (if and only if that WAS the case) the cool thing to do would've been to give him one of his actual (used or not) plates and tossed the "replica"
Dude-- I believe the OP even stated that Chad did offer to sign any other item. And again, all of my and my families experience has all been very positive with Chad. EVEN when he was with his family on vacation. So once again (for the reading comprehension impaired) there HAD to be a legitimate (whether it was legal/moral or whatever) reason to refuse to sign that particular replica piece.
CalRMX
2/29/2020 10:42am
Is the profit margin that great for a rider signature ?
mxdad92 wrote:
Hell no. Reed signature might be worth $50. So reed is really just being reed. I played a pro sport and i knew lots of guys...
Hell no. Reed signature might be worth $50. So reed is really just being reed. I played a pro sport and i knew lots of guys like reed
I didn't realise Tiddlywinks was a pro sport, or was it pocket pool?
MXMattii
2/29/2020 10:46am
mxdad92 wrote:
Memorabilia is a legit buisness. Bought and sold everyday. Reed has made millions off this country but seems it would belittle him to give $200 back?
GuyB wrote:
Maybe someone is making knock-offs of old FX backgrounds, offering them for sale, and that's what he's objecting to?

He's currently sponsored by FX.
I could definitely see that. Good point.
Front number plates are great to take to your local Monster Energy SuperCross or Lucas Oil MotoCross race to get autographed by your favorite racer. All graphics are the officially licensed by the exact graphic company of each racers.

If this is true then there would've been no problem I guess. But the question is, is this true?!
diz330
2/29/2020 10:51am
I have heard in the past that he does not like his stuff coming up on ebay. I asked him to sign some goggles for me in Detroit a couple years back and he kept walking as if I wasn't there. I guess they all have their good and bad days.
MelonFan123
2/29/2020 10:58am
The site in question selling rider plates is a fake. That guy is simply buying Acerbis/Cycra plastic front plates and printing up fake replicas with other people's logos. Factory Effex, Throttle Jockey, etc.

Reed is more savvy than most other riders when it comes to the business side of the sport. I see this as nothing more than him being loyal to a sponsor. He spots an obvious fake of a Factory Effex product and refuses to sign it.

Its known that Reed was very involved with his team looks and graphics back in the TwoTwo days so if the design of that "replica" plate is off just a pinch, he'll know. Sounds like his team people knew about that site already as well. So I really don't know what OP was confused about before coming on here with this story..

Then it turned into a 5 pager.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me lol
ProKawi24
2/29/2020 10:59am
Something just seems fishy about this whole thing.

1) The OP mainly just posts about memorabilia like GuyB said.
2) He first says it's for his nephew who stood in line waiting for Chad but then says it's just wall art memorabilia for the garage. Granted...it could be for the garage at the kids house which I'm sure you'll pick that option but come on dude. At 12 yrs old I'd want that in my bedroom on the wall.
3) I Don't know your age but you know a lot of high school kids??? And they're all ruining their futures by "smoking" CBD?
4) Maybe its just me but I'd assume common sense might have told you why he'd refuse to sign a counterfeit plate yet I'm sure he was totally fine with signing a number of other items.

Who knows maybe you're being honest and sincere but perception is reality and this just doesn't add up.
mb60
2/29/2020 11:01am
Did Chad offer to sign something else for his son ? Why put Reed on blast unless he just blew the child off all together.
BUTWHY?
2/29/2020 11:11am
Jmicmoto13 wrote:
Reed continuing to be a life long dbag. Wonder if an NBA or NFL star would refuse to sign shoes and jerseys for that little guy...
Reed continuing to be a life long dbag. Wonder if an NBA or NFL star would refuse to sign shoes and jerseys for that little guy? Sheesh.
GuyB wrote:
The more I hear from the OP, the more it was for him, and not the kid.
Good job detective! You earned a gold star on the mod board of stars!!!
TxGuy
2/29/2020 11:13am
GuyB wrote:
I completely get it. You’re never going to be happy with anything I post. I checked this morning. It’s bootleg stuff. I don’t blame him for...
I completely get it. You’re never going to be happy with anything I post.

I checked this morning. It’s bootleg stuff. I don’t blame him for not signing bootleg stuff.
look right above your post. Long term posters asking you to cool your jets.............again.

I'm happy with lots of things you post - I will just never understand your fixation on talking down to your customers. Never.
MXMattii
2/29/2020 11:38am
GuyB wrote:
I completely get it. You’re never going to be happy with anything I post. I checked this morning. It’s bootleg stuff. I don’t blame him for...
I completely get it. You’re never going to be happy with anything I post.

I checked this morning. It’s bootleg stuff. I don’t blame him for not signing bootleg stuff.
Do you know why people are buying this bootleg stuff and it has such great success, that sponsors are asking the riders to get involved. Do you know why?! Not because these are cheaper (65 dollar is much is you ask me). But it comes because our sport is lacking great merchandise. When I like a Belgian who plays NCAA I can go online and shop till I drop. When I watch NASCAR and wanna buy something from Kyle Busch I've so much things tho choose from that we can spend hundreds, even thousand(s) of dollars. MotoGP to British Superbike same ... When E-Sports players (you know those men who play videogames such as CS:GO, League of Legends, DOTA, ... for a living) have more merchs then our sport then you know that there is a unused market/ground in our sport. A market that is now wide open for opportunistic people who aren't afraid to put bootleg stuff out there.

This all makes our sport very vulnerable to fakes or unofficial merchs because the promoters, sponsors and riders involved in the sport aren't putting anything out there that real fans can buy.
DC
2/29/2020 11:39am
Jmicmoto13 wrote:
Reed continuing to be a life long dbag. Wonder if an NBA or NFL star would refuse to sign shoes and jerseys for that little guy...
Reed continuing to be a life long dbag. Wonder if an NBA or NFL star would refuse to sign shoes and jerseys for that little guy? Sheesh.
Michael Jordan hardly ever signed anything because his management company owned his autograph and sold licensed memorabilia. But he once took a tour of Walter Reed Hospital to visit soldiers while he owned the Sportbike team and signed any and everything the wounded soldiers had, including the basketballs Michael brought with him. When one of his agents stepped in to tell him he wasn't supposed to do that Jordan said, effectively, fire me. And he kept signing. Now look at what a Michael Jordan-signed basketball costs...

Reed is not the only rider that would not sign things that were effectively bootlegged knockoffs, and I don't blame him.

DC
Racer X

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/29/2020 11:40am
I never understood the idiots that get autographs just to turn around and sell them. Ruins it for the rest of us that just want to add to our collections. I have a handful of things signed by riders that came directly from them and selling has never and will never cross my mind. Those are mine and aren’t leaving my house!
diz330
2/29/2020 11:51am
Half or more than half of those number plates don’t even sell anyways. I’ve seen the same ones on there for years. You’d be pretty dumb to pay $250 for one of those on eBay when you can get a Signed poster for free and many times luck out to get plastic off the actual bike after races.
TxGuy
2/29/2020 11:59am
Jmicmoto13 wrote:
DC wrote:
Michael Jordan hardly ever signed anything because his management company owned his autograph and sold licensed memorabilia. But he once took a tour of Walter Reed...
Michael Jordan hardly ever signed anything because his management company owned his autograph and sold licensed memorabilia. But he once took a tour of Walter Reed Hospital to visit soldiers while he owned the Sportbike team and signed any and everything the wounded soldiers had, including the basketballs Michael brought with him. When one of his agents stepped in to tell him he wasn't supposed to do that Jordan said, effectively, fire me. And he kept signing. Now look at what a Michael Jordan-signed basketball costs...

Reed is not the only rider that would not sign things that were effectively bootlegged knockoffs, and I don't blame him.

DC
Racer X

huh? I have several MJ signed things. I walked up to him and he signed it. Back in the day you could mail him a stamped envelope with a basketball card in it and he'd mail it back.
GIwasB4
2/29/2020 12:02pm
DC wrote:
Michael Jordan hardly ever signed anything because his management company owned his autograph and sold licensed memorabilia. But he once took a tour of Walter Reed...

DC
Racer X

The boss spoke, the OP is dumb, the rest of the thread is stupid.
JeremyK
2/29/2020 12:03pm
Do people have no pride? A grown man standing around waiting to mooch free shit off the riders ,i could see a kid being in the right place at the right time and getting lucky but WTF ,people have no shame these days.
Brett_Clark
2/29/2020 12:05pm
It is because you get these fake plates made and auctioned off on Ebay so it is actually devaluing the real items. And there is literally no way to confirm it's real or not. So if the athletes dont sign then they never have to worry about it. If it was a plate specifically made for autographs then no big deal but in your case it's an actual kawi plate and athletes wont endorse it in the odds it will just be turned for profit
Chance1216
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I never understood the idiots that get autographs just to turn around and sell them. Ruins it for the rest of us that just want to...
I never understood the idiots that get autographs just to turn around and sell them. Ruins it for the rest of us that just want to add to our collections. I have a handful of things signed by riders that came directly from them and selling has never and will never cross my mind. Those are mine and aren’t leaving my house!
My son can have my Decoster signed hat. When I die.
Not like his signature is worth anything anyways, the sport is small and not many outside a small group will ever even know who Reed was.

Who does he think he's protecting by not signing it, someone on ebay who might pay $100 for it?

"His People" asking where he got that lol, it's 2020 people anyone at home can make a replica number plate, it's a piece of plastic and some stickers.

Don't be such an asshole, sign the plate and put a smile on a kids face.
Tuna
2/29/2020 12:09pm
mxdad92 wrote:
Ya and Cbd has underage kids smoking all over the globe ruining there future because they are getting high. Think Reed cares about that. Nope just...
Ya and Cbd has underage kids smoking all over the globe ruining there future because they are getting high. Think Reed cares about that. Nope just the money flow
We’d be far better off if kids were smoking the CBDs. Their lives would be free of pain, cancer, depression, anxiety, sleep disorders, arthritis, and a...
We’d be far better off if kids were smoking the CBDs. Their lives would be free of pain, cancer, depression, anxiety, sleep disorders, arthritis, and a whole variety of other debilitating ailments. They would also see an increase in athletic acuity and brain function.

It’s the THCs that make them retarded and on a certain path to unruly civil protest and willful homelessness.
You must be fucking high. Stick to the CBD.
GIwasB4
2/29/2020 12:09pm
Markturbo wrote:
Not like his signature is worth anything anyways, the sport is small and not many outside a small group will ever even know who Reed was...
Not like his signature is worth anything anyways, the sport is small and not many outside a small group will ever even know who Reed was.

Who does he think he's protecting by not signing it, someone on ebay who might pay $100 for it?

"His People" asking where he got that lol, it's 2020 people anyone at home can make a replica number plate, it's a piece of plastic and some stickers.

Don't be such an asshole, sign the plate and put a smile on a kids face.
No, the kid is not so "entitled" to it
Sparkey
2/29/2020 12:15pm
bonseff wrote:
Maybe he'll sign a LCQ standing sheet.
^^^ GOLD!!
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
2/29/2020 12:17pm
It pisses me off when people try sell the souvenirs they get given.

I gave a JS259 Jersey to a kid back home and found out his dad sold it. When I asked the dad what was going on he told he they needed the money to go racing.

I got screwed by my local dealer - the owner was someone whom I had know for years. I loaned them a Greg Albertyn #8 jersey and a JS259 jersey with conditions - they had to frame them and in the event of the shop ever being sold or shut down, the jerseys would come back to me.

The jerseys never were hung in the shop, instead they ended up in the owner bar/man cave. I've tried for 18 years to get them back...eventually I said..fuck him.

I have a CR22, RV2, McGrath2, JS259, GL8, GregA8 ,TP199 and a few lesser named rider jerseys left which will be donated to a worthy cause when the time is right.

A real fan will bid for a jersey....

Post a reply to: Chad Reed refused to sign replica front plate made by factory Fx

The Latest