Official: Chad Reed has been Penalized and Fined

kiwifan
4/4/2017 12:14pm
tempura wrote:
This has blown up way out of proportion. Dungey wasn't going to catch Tomac anyway. After dungey got away from Reed, Tomac continued to gain time...
This has blown up way out of proportion.
Dungey wasn't going to catch Tomac anyway. After dungey got away from Reed, Tomac continued to gain time.
Yeah, it wasn't good sportsmanship from Reed, but I seriously doubt the result would have been any different, Had this not happened.
I think the dungey fans are letting out their frustration as the realisation sinks in that he may not get this championship, and that Tomac is simply the better rider this season.
you have completely missed the point, fact is that he broke the racing rules around blue flags, like it or not the punishment fits the crime, it was exceptionally well handled. And you certainly dont know that Dungey wasnt going to catch Tomac, nor do I but you certainly cannot rule out that he could have.
4/4/2017 12:23pm
I dont get it. If Dungey couldn't pass a guy lapping 2 seconds slower than him for 3 laps what makes people think he could have made a pass on Eli who was lapping at, at least the same pace if not faster....
I saw loads of opportunities Dungey could have passed him. Reed wasn't swerving all over the track blocking him, he was holding his line.
All Dungey needed to do was to show Reed a wheel. (you know.. actually go faster than Reed!..) He never once got close enough to do so
He simply slowed down to his pace and followed.

Maybe Reed was pushing his luck a little, was it was intentional? Maybe... probably... but Dungey should have just blown past him or parked him. We all know Reed wouldn't have hesitated if the roles were reversed...
4/4/2017 1:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2017 1:35pm
StevieD113 wrote:
I dont get it. If Dungey couldn't pass a guy lapping 2 seconds slower than him for 3 laps what makes people think he could have...
I dont get it. If Dungey couldn't pass a guy lapping 2 seconds slower than him for 3 laps what makes people think he could have made a pass on Eli who was lapping at, at least the same pace if not faster....
I saw loads of opportunities Dungey could have passed him. Reed wasn't swerving all over the track blocking him, he was holding his line.
All Dungey needed to do was to show Reed a wheel. (you know.. actually go faster than Reed!..) He never once got close enough to do so

Maybe Reed was pushing his luck a little, was it was intentional? Maybe... probably... but Dungey should have just blown past him or parked him. We all know Reed wouldn't have hesitated if the roles were reversed...
Awesome post. Maybe you will have time to review the tape with Dungey to show him the "loads of opportunities" that he had to pass Reed. While you're at it, maybe you can also show Dungey how easy it is to park someone at Supercross speeds, without impeding your own progress. And your "showing him a wheel" concept.... that is world class strategy.
4/4/2017 2:08pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2017 2:08pm
Awesome post. Maybe you will have time to review the tape with Dungey to show him the "loads of opportunities" that he had to pass Reed...
Awesome post. Maybe you will have time to review the tape with Dungey to show him the "loads of opportunities" that he had to pass Reed. While you're at it, maybe you can also show Dungey how easy it is to park someone at Supercross speeds, without impeding your own progress. And your "showing him a wheel" concept.... that is world class strategy.
If a professional supercross rider needs lessons on "how to park someone at supercross speeds" they really have no business being on a supercross track anymore.... It's his job!... he should be able to "park guys at supercross speeds".. in his sleep!!!. Now, if it was me... yeh... I'd need a lot of lessons...

If you can't pass someone 2 seconds a lap slower than you in 3 laps or without them moving over for you... it's not that guys fault... it's yours...

The Shop

HenryA
4/4/2017 2:21pm
5K? I bet that stings. LOL
4/4/2017 2:37pm
StevieD113 wrote:
If a professional supercross rider needs lessons on "how to park someone at supercross speeds" they really have no business being on a supercross track anymore...
If a professional supercross rider needs lessons on "how to park someone at supercross speeds" they really have no business being on a supercross track anymore.... It's his job!... he should be able to "park guys at supercross speeds".. in his sleep!!!. Now, if it was me... yeh... I'd need a lot of lessons...

If you can't pass someone 2 seconds a lap slower than you in 3 laps or without them moving over for you... it's not that guys fault... it's yours...

Reed actually posted faster laps when Dungey was behind him. He intentionally picked up the pace to prevent him from passing easily. Parking someone at SX speeds isn't without risk, just look at Savatgy. And he shouldn't need to park a lapper at SX speeds. That's just ridiculous.

Reed should have been black flagged, end of story.
moodus2006
4/4/2017 2:38pm
Huge Reed fan but... he definitely held up Ryan from a continued charge. Eli is hyper fast but we will never know how it "could have" turned out.
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
4/4/2017 2:48pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2017 2:49pm
I would have made it 10k and not allow Reed to race seattle
4/4/2017 3:13pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2017 3:16pm
Reed actually posted faster laps when Dungey was behind him. He intentionally picked up the pace to prevent him from passing easily. Parking someone at SX...
Reed actually posted faster laps when Dungey was behind him. He intentionally picked up the pace to prevent him from passing easily. Parking someone at SX speeds isn't without risk, just look at Savatgy. And he shouldn't need to park a lapper at SX speeds. That's just ridiculous.

Reed should have been black flagged, end of story.
I actually agree with you. He shouldn't need to have to park a lapper, Reed should have moved over..... But... within 2 or 3 corners it should have been clear to Dungey that Reed was being a dick, so move him out of the way and carry on after Tomac. but he didn't... he just sat there.. following him.
BikerScars
4/4/2017 4:41pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2017 4:42pm
BikerScars wrote:
Myself and family used to be a Reed fan but no more. Glad the AMA did something but this is weak. Reed's crime is not refusing...
Myself and family used to be a Reed fan but no more.
Glad the AMA did something but this is weak.
Reed's crime is not refusing to yield the racing line when being lapped. What Reed did was cheat maybe one million fans viewing the race of watching what we have been waiting all season for. ET and RD going bar to bar fighting for the championship. Its what race fans hope all season to see, and Reeds childish selfishness stole that away from all of us.
It hurt our sport.
Reed should be suspended for 3 races for his 3 laps of self centered actions.

If Reed was pissed at Dungy and punched him in the face between heat races, I would have no problem with it. I would still be a Reed fan. But when he decided to take away what could have been the seasons best battle from us, he told all of us to F*** Off.
So F*** you to Reed.
struth wrote:
Dont bs you were a reed fan.
Dungey fanboy
WTF?
If you are a fan of racing moto, its easy to be a REED fan (was at least).

He is a living/racing/legend in the sport.
He leaves Aussie to come to USA to race in the big leagues (impressive and gutsy)
He is the old man on the track still doing it (gotta love that, as I am an old man/ much older)
He is racing out of pure love for the sport (gotta love that too, that's why all of us race)
When he won Atlanta in 2015, everyone in this house was screaming like crazy!
Anytime he was close to a podium he was the new guy to root for (love rooting for the underdog)
Sat in line in LV pits 2011 for 2 hours (95 degrees) so my buddy could get Reeds autograph for his daughter.

But no more.
That was a selfish classless display that robbed all of us from viewing a good bar to bar of #1 and #2.
I don't think Dungey would have passed ET but I wanted to watch the battle!!!
Old-Man
4/4/2017 4:50pm
mx 219 wrote:
I would have made it 10k and not allow Reed to race seattle
He'd love that...hit 'em were it hurts..No Vegas..LOL
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2410th
4/4/2017 4:58pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2017 5:03pm
BikerScars wrote:
WTF? If you are a fan of racing moto, its easy to be a REED fan (was at least). He is a living/racing/legend in the sport...
WTF?
If you are a fan of racing moto, its easy to be a REED fan (was at least).

He is a living/racing/legend in the sport.
He leaves Aussie to come to USA to race in the big leagues (impressive and gutsy)
He is the old man on the track still doing it (gotta love that, as I am an old man/ much older)
He is racing out of pure love for the sport (gotta love that too, that's why all of us race)
When he won Atlanta in 2015, everyone in this house was screaming like crazy!
Anytime he was close to a podium he was the new guy to root for (love rooting for the underdog)
Sat in line in LV pits 2011 for 2 hours (95 degrees) so my buddy could get Reeds autograph for his daughter.

But no more.
That was a selfish classless display that robbed all of us from viewing a good bar to bar of #1 and #2.
I don't think Dungey would have passed ET but I wanted to watch the battle!!!
You left out that stint Chad did racing in the Euro FIM races before he came to the U.S. in 2001

I think he did pretty good there too.Smile

Second to Mikeal Pichon,

PSlap
KevinM
4/4/2017 7:00pm
Does anybody know if Chad pulled over and let ET by?
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
4/4/2017 8:40pm
StevieD113 wrote:
I dont get it. If Dungey couldn't pass a guy lapping 2 seconds slower than him for 3 laps what makes people think he could have...

You don't get it? Ok, I'll try to help and not be a smart ass. 1) This was a pretty one-lined track in the most difficult sections. There were a few passing spots as everyone could see (whoops, sweeper, and corner before the over under), but there was just one main line in the toughest parts of the tracks (late in the race whoops, and in the double dragon backs). It was hard to pass for the top riders as indicated by how hard it was for Tomac to pass Grant in the heat race. Had Tomac gotten a bad start in the main and Dungey a good start, no way Tomac wins that race. And for those people crying and whining about Musquin laying up and not passing Dungey, I don't see him passing Dungey even if he could have hung with him and Tomac. And for that matter, Dungey wouldn't have passed Tomac unless Tomac would have made a mistake. I just didn't see any good passes unless mistakes were made. That was a very tough track to pass on. I'll add more to this in a bit.

I was at the race and saw the whole thing go down with Reed and Dungey, and I had a good view of it. Dungey was ~1.8-2 seconds behind Tomac when Tomac easily passed Reed because Reed pulled over for him, so Dungey could see Reed turn his head to see Tomac, slow down, pull over and let Tomac pass with ease. He then had a great view to see Reed then immediately get on the gas and try to run in between Dungey and Tomac. Dungey could clearly see Reed give way to Tomac then not give way to Dungey. It didn't take 2-3 corners for Dungey to figure out Reed was going to fuck with him. It was instantly evident. That wasn't in question - the question was, "how much was going to Reed fuck with Dungey"? So Dungey likely had to make a split decision as to how much to press Reed, because if he lays up and finishes second on a tough track where he was unlikely to pass Tomac anyway, why not leave with a 4 point lead in the championship points? Or, he could press Reed and run a risk of Reed taking him out and losing much more points and possibly the whole championship race. It is reasonably possible Dungey could have lost all 22 points he got in this race had he crashed out. Was it really worth the risk? He likely knew immediately Reed was playing games, so he probably thought how far would Reed go? So my guess is Dungey checked up and settled for second at that point. He had already lost all momentum and flow at that point.

As for the racing between Dungey and Tomac - those guys were really pushing - it doesn't surprised me Musquin fell back further than normal because Dungey and Tomac were really pushing. Both made mistakes and that was the differences in their pace. You couldn't see it all on TV, but both guys were making small mistakes. That's how Tomac got the early ~3.5 second lead on Dungey, it was due to a couple of mistakes by Dungey. And Dungey closed the gap to ~1.4 seconds at one point due to Tomac making a couple of small mistakes. The only way Dungey would have passed Tomac in that race is if he could push Tomac's pace so hard he made a mistake that opened the door. That would have been vintage Dungey.

At the end of the day, we the fans got robbed of a good late season battle between the top 2 riders in the series that are in a close battle for the title. Reed was a douche and Dungey was a whiner earlier in the night - yes. But at the end of the day, the fans were the ones that got robbed by the petty bitch move by the Douche-Douche. That's why I was so pissed at Reed (I've always liked Reed to that point). It was a selfish whiny move on his part. I thought the fine/penalty was very fair.

But as for someone trying to reason that if Dungey couldn't pass Reed, how could he pass Tomac? Simple - he would have had to push Tomac's pace so hard he made a mistake and would have take advantage of that. Tomac was making mistakes as the race went on. Was it likely? No. Possible? Yes. We'll never know thanks to Reed being a bitch.
Rockinar
4/4/2017 10:18pm
Acidreamer wrote:
Aw a slap on the wrist to ol reed. Bet he will do it again next weekend
KB221 wrote:
Yup and I bet Marvin will drop Anchor again for a reason he can't explain.

If you call getting lauched off you bike and sliding across the dome floor during practice a "cant explain" event.
agn5009
4/4/2017 11:18pm
Awesome post. Maybe you will have time to review the tape with Dungey to show him the "loads of opportunities" that he had to pass Reed...
StevieD113 wrote:
If a professional supercross rider needs lessons on "how to park someone at supercross speeds" they really have no business being on a supercross track anymore...

So now you're saying a 3 time 450 supercross champ has no business being on a supercross track? Pinch jeez, how did vital get so lucky to attract people of such high intelligence?
robkinuk
4/4/2017 11:43pm
Geoff Meyer must be involved somehow????, we know those barbie buddies stick together!WinkEvilLaughingLaughing
robkinuk
4/5/2017 12:36am
StevieD113 wrote:

TbonesPop wrote:
You don't get it? Ok, I'll try to help and not be a smart ass. 1) This was a pretty one-lined track in the most difficult...
You don't get it? Ok, I'll try to help and not be a smart ass. 1) This was a pretty one-lined track in the most difficult sections. There were a few passing spots as everyone could see (whoops, sweeper, and corner before the over under), but there was just one main line in the toughest parts of the tracks (late in the race whoops, and in the double dragon backs). It was hard to pass for the top riders as indicated by how hard it was for Tomac to pass Grant in the heat race. Had Tomac gotten a bad start in the main and Dungey a good start, no way Tomac wins that race. And for those people crying and whining about Musquin laying up and not passing Dungey, I don't see him passing Dungey even if he could have hung with him and Tomac. And for that matter, Dungey wouldn't have passed Tomac unless Tomac would have made a mistake. I just didn't see any good passes unless mistakes were made. That was a very tough track to pass on. I'll add more to this in a bit.

I was at the race and saw the whole thing go down with Reed and Dungey, and I had a good view of it. Dungey was ~1.8-2 seconds behind Tomac when Tomac easily passed Reed because Reed pulled over for him, so Dungey could see Reed turn his head to see Tomac, slow down, pull over and let Tomac pass with ease. He then had a great view to see Reed then immediately get on the gas and try to run in between Dungey and Tomac. Dungey could clearly see Reed give way to Tomac then not give way to Dungey. It didn't take 2-3 corners for Dungey to figure out Reed was going to fuck with him. It was instantly evident. That wasn't in question - the question was, "how much was going to Reed fuck with Dungey"? So Dungey likely had to make a split decision as to how much to press Reed, because if he lays up and finishes second on a tough track where he was unlikely to pass Tomac anyway, why not leave with a 4 point lead in the championship points? Or, he could press Reed and run a risk of Reed taking him out and losing much more points and possibly the whole championship race. It is reasonably possible Dungey could have lost all 22 points he got in this race had he crashed out. Was it really worth the risk? He likely knew immediately Reed was playing games, so he probably thought how far would Reed go? So my guess is Dungey checked up and settled for second at that point. He had already lost all momentum and flow at that point.

As for the racing between Dungey and Tomac - those guys were really pushing - it doesn't surprised me Musquin fell back further than normal because Dungey and Tomac were really pushing. Both made mistakes and that was the differences in their pace. You couldn't see it all on TV, but both guys were making small mistakes. That's how Tomac got the early ~3.5 second lead on Dungey, it was due to a couple of mistakes by Dungey. And Dungey closed the gap to ~1.4 seconds at one point due to Tomac making a couple of small mistakes. The only way Dungey would have passed Tomac in that race is if he could push Tomac's pace so hard he made a mistake that opened the door. That would have been vintage Dungey.

At the end of the day, we the fans got robbed of a good late season battle between the top 2 riders in the series that are in a close battle for the title. Reed was a douche and Dungey was a whiner earlier in the night - yes. But at the end of the day, the fans were the ones that got robbed by the petty bitch move by the Douche-Douche. That's why I was so pissed at Reed (I've always liked Reed to that point). It was a selfish whiny move on his part. I thought the fine/penalty was very fair.

But as for someone trying to reason that if Dungey couldn't pass Reed, how could he pass Tomac? Simple - he would have had to push Tomac's pace so hard he made a mistake and would have take advantage of that. Tomac was making mistakes as the race went on. Was it likely? No. Possible? Yes. We'll never know thanks to Reed being a bitch.
Slow day at work?
4/5/2017 1:11am
agn5009 wrote:
So now you're saying a 3 time 450 supercross champ has no business being on a supercross track? :pinch: jeez, how did vital get so lucky...
So now you're saying a 3 time 450 supercross champ has no business being on a supercross track? Pinch jeez, how did vital get so lucky to attract people of such high intelligence?
Wow... you must be so intelligent. You were able to completely miss the point and throw out some insults while replying. Maybe you should re-read my post SLOWLY.

No, i was not insinuating Dungey has no business out there. (I actually think Dungey is one of the greatest of the sport) Nor, was I implying that Reed wasn't being a jackass for ignoring the blue flags.

I was pointing out that "making passes at sx speeds" is what he is paid to do. He is paid by KTM to race, to overtake, to make passes, to win.. all while riding at "SX speeds".
So, to use "it's hard to make passes at sx speeds" as an excuse is a pretty lame one.
IceMan446
4/5/2017 1:27am
tempura wrote:
This has blown up way out of proportion. Dungey wasn't going to catch Tomac anyway. After dungey got away from Reed, Tomac continued to gain time...
This has blown up way out of proportion.
Dungey wasn't going to catch Tomac anyway. After dungey got away from Reed, Tomac continued to gain time.
Yeah, it wasn't good sportsmanship from Reed, but I seriously doubt the result would have been any different, Had this not happened.
I think the dungey fans are letting out their frustration as the realisation sinks in that he may not get this championship, and that Tomac is simply the better rider this season.
kiwifan wrote:
you have completely missed the point, fact is that he broke the racing rules around blue flags, like it or not the punishment fits the crime...
you have completely missed the point, fact is that he broke the racing rules around blue flags, like it or not the punishment fits the crime, it was exceptionally well handled. And you certainly dont know that Dungey wasnt going to catch Tomac, nor do I but you certainly cannot rule out that he could have.
Lappers do this every race. Always have and always will. Especially when they are racing for position with another lapper they ignore the blue flags.

Why was Dungey even pissed after the heat race??? Frustration is setting in with him.

The problem with this penalty and the whole situation is FELD/AMA/FIM are never consistent with their penalties and actions. Which is horseshit.

The rule book says the rider can be black flagged at the race directors discretion. Which Chad wasnt.

But when you have Roger D. who carries a LOT of weight with the governing bodies, that will go complain about how his guy was treated unfairly, shit like this happens. Remember RC getting his points back after his fuel problem??? Same crap and again that affected a championship.

Any other team manager would be up shits creek with no paddle.

4/5/2017 3:56am Edited Date/Time 4/5/2017 3:56am
StevieD113 wrote:
I actually agree with you. He shouldn't need to have to park a lapper, Reed should have moved over..... But... within 2 or 3 corners it...
I actually agree with you. He shouldn't need to have to park a lapper, Reed should have moved over..... But... within 2 or 3 corners it should have been clear to Dungey that Reed was being a dick, so move him out of the way and carry on after Tomac. but he didn't... he just sat there.. following him.
Move Reed out of the way? This isn't some C-class rider we're talking about here. Reed was not in the way to be moved to the side easily. I bet he wanted to eat a disqualification just to piss Dungey off.

He just sat there following him because he diddn't want to risk 22 points. If he did what you're suggesting he might have ended up with 0 points. See, that's why Dungey is in the pointslead (but for how long), that dude thinks ahead and calculates his risks. And i'm quite sure Roger and Aldon are pounding that mentality in to his head as well.
IceMan446
4/5/2017 5:04am Edited Date/Time 4/5/2017 5:04am
Move Reed out of the way? This isn't some C-class rider we're talking about here. Reed was not in the way to be moved to the...
Move Reed out of the way? This isn't some C-class rider we're talking about here. Reed was not in the way to be moved to the side easily. I bet he wanted to eat a disqualification just to piss Dungey off.

He just sat there following him because he diddn't want to risk 22 points. If he did what you're suggesting he might have ended up with 0 points. See, that's why Dungey is in the pointslead (but for how long), that dude thinks ahead and calculates his risks. And i'm quite sure Roger and Aldon are pounding that mentality in to his head as well.
He has had no problem bumping and banging with other riders.

His problem is if they are a "bigger" name rider he wont do it. Always been that way.

Edit* Except for Stew, no problem torpedoing him lol
davistld01
4/5/2017 5:42am
I've pretty much respected Chad Reed over his career because of what he's accomplished. I've never been a fan because of of his habitual whining & complaining about practically everything & everybody. It seems he can do no wrong because he's Chad fucking Reed, but everybody else is at fault. Oh well. I'm just glad that this time, the AMA didn't bow down to Sir Chad like I was so sure they would...but to fine a guy like him $5000 and a 4-point dock for impeding the outcome of a championship race that he's not even in, plus disrespect every blue flag that was waved at him last Saturday night is like a freaking slap on the wrist. The AMA only did that because they were under pressure to save face. I mean...they had to do something to prove they weren't totally inept or Chad Reed nuthuggers.

Now, we'll see what happens at Seattle.
jonesaustin
4/5/2017 6:38am
Some of you are right. Most of you are completely off.

Reed was wrong, period. And it's kinda a big deal.
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
4/5/2017 7:57am
Yamaha corp. has got to have smoke coming out of their ears.....im sayin hes fired before the end of the season or at the end.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
4/5/2017 8:11am
StevieD113 wrote:
Wow... you must be so intelligent. You were able to completely miss the point and throw out some insults while replying. Maybe you should re-read my...
Wow... you must be so intelligent. You were able to completely miss the point and throw out some insults while replying. Maybe you should re-read my post SLOWLY.

No, i was not insinuating Dungey has no business out there. (I actually think Dungey is one of the greatest of the sport) Nor, was I implying that Reed wasn't being a jackass for ignoring the blue flags.

I was pointing out that "making passes at sx speeds" is what he is paid to do. He is paid by KTM to race, to overtake, to make passes, to win.. all while riding at "SX speeds".
So, to use "it's hard to make passes at sx speeds" as an excuse is a pretty lame one.
Give it a rest. Nobody cares what you think.
4rings
4/5/2017 8:15am
StevieD113 wrote:
Wow... you must be so intelligent. You were able to completely miss the point and throw out some insults while replying. Maybe you should re-read my...

No one should have to race a 16th place lapper.

Douchebag chad has plenty of experience, he knows how to ride a wide bike and keep guys behind him. Again, no one should have to race a 16th place lapper.....
stremme12
Fantasy
3693rd
4/5/2017 8:25am
dsmith wrote:
Yamaha corp. has got to have smoke coming out of their ears.....im sayin hes fired before the end of the season or at the end.
I'll take that bet that he doesn't get fired. $100?
Crush
4/5/2017 8:31am
dsmith wrote:
stremme12 wrote:
I'll take that bet that he doesn't get fired. $100?
If he's not riding next year it won't have shit to do with this event.

Post a reply to: Official: Chad Reed has been Penalized and Fined

The Latest