Chad Reed arguing with track officials

Regis
Fantasy
359th
4/19/2010 1:16pm
Regis wrote:
Cool

so you're saying there isn't an excuse then? LOL.
If you are talking to me, I think it is a bad deal that happened. I am with you for the most part on all of...
If you are talking to me, I think it is a bad deal that happened. I am with you for the most part on all of your points. That jump was jumped many many times over the course of practices, heats, mains.
Sorru bud,

I was talking to Bobbym.
Overdrive
4/19/2010 1:44pm
Anyone done an interview with reed since the weekend. would be interesting to read, im sure he would have a strong oppinion.
burnside
4/19/2010 1:49pm
Overdrive wrote:
Anyone done an interview with reed since the weekend. would be interesting to read, im sure he would have a strong oppinion.
I was thinking the same thing..
kevin204
Fantasy
3416th
4/19/2010 1:54pm
Overdrive wrote:
From Chad's site.

Reeds road to recovery continues at St Louis

// April 18th, 2010 // BLOG

Australian Chad Reed has continued his return to racing finishing fifth at the 2010 Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship event in St Louis tonight.

Reeds confidence was buoyed with a convincing win in his heat race but that momentum was stalled going into the nights Main Event. A combination of uncharacteristic clutch issues and obstacles on the track becoming potentially dangerous when no track maintenance was undertaken before the Main Event saw Reed err on the side of caution.

Having already been sidelined for 12 weeks while he recovered from a hand injury Reed opted to ensure both he and his KX450F finish the race without injury or damage.

By the end of the 20 lap main event this strategy proved to be the smartest option by far. Reed took the chequered flag in a solid fifth place whilst team-mate and championship contender Ryan Villopoto and rival Ivan Tedesco fell victim to the unforgiving and unpredictable track.

“The track actually became quite dangerous as there was no maintenance done before the main,” Reed explained.

“The approaches to several jumps were rutted out leaving no margin for error. A number of riders including myself did voice our concerns regarding a number of different aspects of the circuit but unfortunately for the riders the much needed track maintenance was not carried out.

“It was a simple case of me riding the race focusing on ensuring no unnecessary risks were taken because although I am not in contention for the Supercross title my main priority is defending my motocross title,” he added.

The next round of the 2010 Monster Energy AMA Supercross will be held on Saturday 24th April at Seattles Qwest Field.

AMA Supercross Class Results: St. Louis

1.Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
2.Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda
3.Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
4.Nick Wey, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki
5.Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Kawasaki
6.Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
7.Michael Byrne, Park City, Utah, Yamaha
8.Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha
9.Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
10.Tommy Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Suzuki

AMA Supercross Class Season Standings

1.Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 302
2.Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 266
3.Josh Hill, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha, 225
4.Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda, 223
5.Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 215
6.Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 191
7.Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 183
8.Nick Wey, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 159
9.Tommy Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Suzuki, 139
10.Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha, 136

The Shop

WhipMeister
Fantasy
4299th
4/19/2010 2:10pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:15pm
Reed's 'discussion' with Gallagher was on the telecast. I didn't see either one of them 'yelling'.

A lot of you are simply ignoring the big picture. This sport cannot grow and prosper if the pattern of having 50% or more of its best stars not finishing the season continues. Many of the fans of those stars that would otherwise buy a ticket or tune in will simply stay home, preferring not to spend money to pay to watch a race missing its biggest attractions.

There are things that cannot be controlled by the powers-that-be. A blown engine, missed gear, brain fart. But, there are a great many other things fully within the control of the powers-that-be that can be adjusted to try to address that fundamental problem.

If, as a promoter, you don't do anything to address - what you can - the toll extracted from mistakes, you are simply working counter to your own interests. One of those things is taming the price tag for coming up short on a jump like that.

Who's out right now or has been out at least one race?

Stewart

Reed

Short

Tedesco

Villipoto

(arguably that right there is a top 5 list that RD might find himself on the ass-end of if they were all healthy).

If you think that the sport is somehow better because these guys were sidelined, then ........ what Bobby said about you.
Overdrive
4/19/2010 2:19pm
I always giggled a bit as they kept changing the supercross commercials, first they played up the Reed Stewart battle. Then when they got hurt it was the young guns battle that got played up. Now what are they going to play up for the last races, The Dungey championship world tour.........lol

I can just hear the commercial now, that low grumbling announcers voice comes on and says " Come to Vegas and see who can make it through the season alive! Welcome to the 2010 SX championship won 3 races ago by Ryan Dungey!" lol
DougEFresh
4/19/2010 3:37pm Edited Date/Time 4/19/2010 3:37pm
burnside wrote:
Was the problem his timing or the jump face/ruts?
jemcee wrote:
well either way he knew what was going on with the track and if he didn't he was guessing or hoping that it would be ok...
well either way he knew what was going on with the track and if he didn't he was guessing or hoping that it would be ok.. this is in no way a criticism, it's what makes me respect them so much to be able to put it on the line, and it's every lap almost every jump all while racing.

It's amazing

but i also agree that riders should be able to talk to the track builders to make it safe! they're the most important!
There it is! It sucks for RV. If you listen to what Emig says when they are doing the replay, the preferred line was to the left and because of a lapper RV had to go right and the take off wasn't the same there. I also agree that if the landing was mellowed out a bit RV wouldn't have bailed. How can you guys even argue about this when a world class champion (CR) voiced his concerns about this jump and they did nothing about it?
The Rock
4/19/2010 5:56pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:15pm
DougEFresh wrote:
There it is! It sucks for RV. If you listen to what Emig says when they are doing the replay, the preferred line was to the...
There it is! It sucks for RV. If you listen to what Emig says when they are doing the replay, the preferred line was to the left and because of a lapper RV had to go right and the take off wasn't the same there. I also agree that if the landing was mellowed out a bit RV wouldn't have bailed. How can you guys even argue about this when a world class champion (CR) voiced his concerns about this jump and they did nothing about it?
They did do something about it.

Three times during the show equipment (bulldozer) was on the track.

After the second 450 heat.

During the Freestyle show. (After the LCQ's)

After the 250 Main.

This is fact.

I don't know if the takeoff of this particular triple was touched after the 250 main but it was definitely addressed after the Heats. There were only ten laps total for the LCQs, so hardly any deterioration before the Mains.

I applaud CR for speaking up but can't throw Dirt Wurx, the AMA, or the FIM under the bus.

Conditions change during races and it's up to the riders to make the appropriate decisions on what to do and on what not to do. That having been said I hope that's the least peaked jump we ever see.

DMG
4/19/2010 5:59pm
Reed said the landing wasnt bad, it was the ruts on the face of it that made it bad. And he wasnt complaining about just one jump inparticular.
837wills
4/19/2010 6:52pm
GuyB wrote:
RV's crash happened well before the landing, when he ejected off the bike. I'm not sure he'd have made it even if it was smaller...he was...
RV's crash happened well before the landing, when he ejected off the bike. I'm not sure he'd have made it even if it was smaller...he was way short. I didn't see Tedesco's crash.
But if the jump was smaller or less steep he may not have had to bail off. Maybe he could have case the hell out of it or something else. But since it was do or die Villo had to go with the lesser of those two opitions.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4299th
4/19/2010 7:28pm
DMG wrote:
Reed said the landing wasnt bad, it was the ruts on the face of it that made it bad. And he wasnt complaining about just one...
Reed said the landing wasnt bad, it was the ruts on the face of it that made it bad. And he wasnt complaining about just one jump inparticular.
That's interesting, because on the telecast he did single that one jump out. And he did not mention the ruts. He mentioned the angle of the face and the height.
DougEFresh
4/19/2010 7:31pm
DMG wrote:
Reed said the landing wasnt bad, it was the ruts on the face of it that made it bad. And he wasnt complaining about just one...
exactly my point. Also in a previous post ( I can't find it for some reason) they did address the landing. But all they did was move dirt around didn't really change anything.
txmxer
4/19/2010 7:34pm
GuyB wrote:
RV's crash happened well before the landing, when he ejected off the bike. I'm not sure he'd have made it even if it was smaller...he was...
RV's crash happened well before the landing, when he ejected off the bike. I'm not sure he'd have made it even if it was smaller...he was way short. I didn't see Tedesco's crash.
837wills wrote:
But if the jump was smaller or less steep he may not have had to bail off. Maybe he could have case the hell out of...
But if the jump was smaller or less steep he may not have had to bail off. Maybe he could have case the hell out of it or something else. But since it was do or die Villo had to go with the lesser of those two opitions.
I'm not close to being a pro, but when a bike starts rotating forward like that, it rarely ends pretty.
Hank_Thrill
4/19/2010 7:40pm
Overdrive wrote:
I always giggled a bit as they kept changing the supercross commercials, first they played up the Reed Stewart battle. Then when they got hurt it...
I always giggled a bit as they kept changing the supercross commercials, first they played up the Reed Stewart battle. Then when they got hurt it was the young guns battle that got played up. Now what are they going to play up for the last races, The Dungey championship world tour.........lol

I can just hear the commercial now, that low grumbling announcers voice comes on and says " Come to Vegas and see who can make it through the season alive! Welcome to the 2010 SX championship won 3 races ago by Ryan Dungey!" lol
Great post... Last paragraph made me laugh out loud!
Hank_Thrill
4/19/2010 7:43pm
Yeah, everyone keeps talking about the landing. I think the whole triple was weird. The take off looked to be three and a half feet tall, maybe four, and the landing six foot. The jump seemed like a super kicker. Then as Reed mentioned, RUTS!

RV had a great set up, from the replays i've seen, his weight was just a tad bit too far forward that didn't allow him to get the altitude he needed. It also looked like it bucked him a little bit.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4299th
4/19/2010 7:52pm
This is a two parter:

The face of the jump was all wrong, according to Reed, "Don't want them carting anyone out of here tonight.", is pretty much a direct quote after the heat as I remember it (plus add in what he said up above on his blog).

Part 2 is that the landing was so (needlessly) unforgiving. "Needless" is defined as when a rider of RV's caliber feels like his best option is to bail out.

What if that landing is lowered from a ridgeback to a softer roller, centered a couple of feet further down the track? Still costs you time and strength if you short it or double in instead of triple. But I'll bet you whatever you want to bet that RV lands it and is walking around today talking up the coming weeks' showdowns for the title.

Which is better for the sport?
The Rock
4/19/2010 7:55pm
837wills wrote:
But if the jump was smaller or less steep he may not have had to bail off. Maybe he could have case the hell out of...
Were you able to catch the race on TV? I saw it with my own eyes in person but then when I saw it on TV I was amazed at how much short he was coming up......I look forward to RV commenting on it.....I won't be a bit surprised to learn he caught neutral given how low the front end was and how high the back end was.
jmar
4/19/2010 8:13pm
837wills wrote:
The Rock wrote:
Were you able to catch the race on TV? I saw it with my own eyes in person but then when I saw it on TV...
Were you able to catch the race on TV? I saw it with my own eyes in person but then when I saw it on TV I was amazed at how much short he was coming up......I look forward to RV commenting on it.....I won't be a bit surprised to learn he caught neutral given how low the front end was and how high the back end was.
I agree,

He was way short .

Did the ruts get deep enough that he could have dragged a peg?

I was flying most of the day yesterday and didn't see the race.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4299th
4/19/2010 8:14pm
The Rock wrote:
Were you able to catch the race on TV? I saw it with my own eyes in person but then when I saw it on TV...
As someone else point out, you have to factor in that he pushed off from the bike. Probably exaggerated that a bit.
toroP
4/19/2010 8:32pm
DMG wrote:
But on the broadcast, he specifically mentioned the triple that claimed RV and IT.
Overdrive
4/19/2010 8:35pm
Third jump is flattend like a normal tripple and rv comes up short, loses momentum and rd catches him and we have a battle.

Third jump way to tall and steep, rv comes up short and totally bails breaking leg and puts himself out. rd cruises to finish and championship. IT comes up short as well and now we have 2 top riders still in hospital.
rmgsxr
4/20/2010 7:43am
837wills wrote:
The Rock wrote:
jmar wrote:
I agree, He was way short . Did the ruts get deep enough that he could have dragged a peg? I was flying most of the...
I agree,

He was way short .

Did the ruts get deep enough that he could have dragged a peg?

I was flying most of the day yesterday and didn't see the race.
The way he panic revved so quick I thought he had maybe hit neutral also. I don't really think the landing had anything to do with it, he was in trouble from the take off.
4/20/2010 7:48am
Trent179 wrote:
Did anyone see Reed yelling back and fourth with the track official after he won the heat race?? I remember wondering what the hell he was...
Did anyone see Reed yelling back and fourth with the track official after he won the heat race?? I remember wondering what the hell he was yelling about with the guy. He was pissed that they had the last jump on the rhythm section 6 feet tall and straight up and down on both sides. He was worried about riders getting hurt on it, and look what happened. I give props to Reed for stepping up and letting them know that he felt the obstacle was unsafe. What is the point for making it steep on both sides, so it can take out 2 of the guys that were on the podium last week? The racing could have been the exact same if some of those peaks were mellowed out. I'm sick of seeing our top riders getting hurt. I used to be the biggest sx fan out there, but am now wishing guys would do nationals only. Ten years ago it wasn't near this bad, I realize there is no easy solution. There has to be something that can be done to make the racing a little safer though. You would think they'd get hurt outdoors way more with the higher speeds, but SX is wiping out half of the field in the small second gear stadiums. Thanks for speaking up Reed,
Deep ruts will find you a nuetral about as fast as anything.
Zycki11
4/20/2010 8:38am
This is a two point remark. Point one is regarding the jump. The only thing that made it dangerous was the ruts. I went up and looked at the jump before and after the main. It did make the jump sketchy, however it was doable. Villopoto was in the wrong gear. You can hear and see it. The revs were too high and the shock compressed like the tension on the chain was too tight. Hence nose dive, coming up short and panic rev.

The second part is for the sport won't grow people. This sport will never grow until it is truly advantages for each position in the main. The guys like JT$ are few and far between. Most guys make the main and are happy. A sport where the purse for a professional race is a joke can not be taken seriously. A few local guys I know made the night show, one made the main straight out of the heat race. He was so stoked and when the main came around. He told me all he did was ride around and wait for the leaders and whip it behind them to maybe get on tv. His position for the lites main simply wouldn't of made a large difference. Incentives for these guys other than pride? Close to zero. Good on you Jason Thomas.

Post a reply to: Chad Reed arguing with track officials

The Latest