Chad Reed arguing with track officials

Related:
Create New Tag

4/18/2010 7:48 PM

Did anyone see Reed yelling back and fourth with the track official after he won the heat race?? I remember wondering what the hell he was yelling about with the guy. He was pissed that they had the last jump on the rhythm section 6 feet tall and straight up and down on both sides. He was worried about riders getting hurt on it, and look what happened. I give props to Reed for stepping up and letting them know that he felt the obstacle was unsafe. What is the point for making it steep on both sides, so it can take out 2 of the guys that were on the podium last week? The racing could have been the exact same if some of those peaks were mellowed out. I'm sick of seeing our top riders getting hurt. I used to be the biggest sx fan out there, but am now wishing guys would do nationals only. Ten years ago it wasn't near this bad, I realize there is no easy solution. There has to be something that can be done to make the racing a little safer though. You would think they'd get hurt outdoors way more with the higher speeds, but SX is wiping out half of the field in the small second gear stadiums. Thanks for speaking up Reed,

|

4/18/2010 7:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/18/2010 8:03 PM

Wah. They are paid big money ride the track or go home. I'm not putting down Reed but damn people bitch about the track being too easy one week and too hard the next. I don't like seeing people get hurt but you gotta challenge the best riders in the world.

|

2013 KTM 450SXF, 1983 YZ 250K, & 1983 CR 250

4/18/2010 7:58 PM

Nobody got hurt on that jump, it was obviously fine.........

|

4/18/2010 8:02 PM

Not sure if it was true or not but Ralph Shaheen stated at the end of the main event that the triple that Villopoto and Tedesco crashed on was the same triple that Reed was complaining about and was fixed after.

I was not there and I am not sure if Shaheen is right either, just saying.

Tracks aren't anymore dangerous than they used to be.

|

"I think you're pretty slow, everyone else on here knew that for years."

4/18/2010 8:04 PM

TripleFive wrote:

Nobody got hurt on that jump, it was obviously fine.........

How many people crashed on that jump? 2? Serious question, I am not being a smart ass just curious.

Did anybody get to see Tedescos crash? Did anybody see what happened?

|

"I think you're pretty slow, everyone else on here knew that for years."

4/18/2010 8:06 PM

Madmax31 wrote:

Wah. They are paid big money ride the track or go home. I'm not putting down Reed but damn people bitch about the track being too easy one week and too hard the next. I don't like seeing people get hurt but you gotta challenge the best riders in the world.

Who's going to watch the races with all the top riders out. There won't be any money to pay anyone. Reed done the right thing by speaking up. Only wish they would have done more to correct the problem.

|

4/18/2010 8:06 PM

We sat right in front of that jump row 1. Dirt Wurxs came in after the heats and shaved 2" off the jump and added two buckets from the Bobcat T250 to the back side of the landing.

I thought cool they are fixing it but in reality they didn't change the angle steepness or lower the jump. It was too tall and too steep to clear it safely lap after lap and still land safely in the corner. Add the ruts that developed in the face of the take off and it just kept getting worse.

They easily could have shaved a foot off the landing and it would have saved both riders and not hurt the racing action one bit.

|

4/18/2010 8:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/17/2016 10:14 PM

Digger437 wrote:

We sat right in front of that jump row 1. Dirt Wurxs came in after the heats and shaved 2" off the jump and added two buckets from the Bobcat T250 to the back side of the landing.

I thought cool they are fixing it but in reality they didn't change the angle steepness or lower the jump. It was too tall and too steep to clear it safely lap after lap and still land safely in the corner. Add the ruts that developed in the face of the take off and it just kept getting worse.

They easily could have shaved a foot off the landing and it would have saved both riders and not hurt the racing action one bit.

So, some think they should have modified an obstacle that could seperate the "REALLY" fast guys from the fast guys so they could all do it?


Maybe they should just flatten the whole track to even it out and come in and get rid of the ruts with a steamroller.



Look, I am bummed Villo and IT got hurt, I don't want to see anyone get hurt but last time I checked track conditions (ruts) and challenging obstacles have always been a part of SX. Risk VS. Reward has always been a factor for every SX rider.

|

"I think you're pretty slow, everyone else on here knew that for years."

4/18/2010 8:12 PM

IT just flat out came up short. Looked like he brake tapped it to try and drop the front over the wall, but he was about 6 inches short. There were a lot of riders that went down on that jump, not just RV and IT. Some triple digit guy on a honda ate shit just as bad as those two on it. I seen 2 guys clip it, then went over the berm in the corner. Listening to all the lites bikes panic rev through that section was nuts. I'm all for challenging these guys, I just hate to see anybody get seriously hurt for failing the challenge by 6 inches.

|

4/18/2010 8:12 PM

Regis wrote:

So, some think they should have modified an obstacle that could seperate the "REALLY" fast guys from the fast guys so they could all do it?


Maybe they should just flatten the whole track to even it out and come in and get rid of the ruts with a steamroller.



Look, I am bummed Villo and IT got hurt, I don't want to see anyone get hurt but last time I checked track conditions (ruts) and challenging obstacles have always been a part of SX. Risk VS. Reward has always been a factor for every SX rider.

Everyone was doing it but it was sketchy and people paid the price.

|

4/18/2010 8:14 PM

Digger437 wrote:

We sat right in front of that jump row 1. Dirt Wurxs came in after the heats and shaved 2" off the jump and added two buckets from the Bobcat T250 to the back side of the landing.

I thought cool they are fixing it but in reality they didn't change the angle steepness or lower the jump. It was too tall and too steep to clear it safely lap after lap and still land safely in the corner. Add the ruts that developed in the face of the take off and it just kept getting worse.

They easily could have shaved a foot off the landing and it would have saved both riders and not hurt the racing action one bit.

Villopoto was way short, Barcia landed short on the same spot late in his race and his suspension handled it fine. Villopoto was in a whole lotta trouble and lowering the landing wasn't going to make a difference. It was a mistake on his part, too bad it came with an injury.

|

4/18/2010 8:14 PM

Trent179 wrote:

IT just flat out came up short. Looked like he brake tapped it to try and drop the front over the wall, but he was about 6 inches short. There were a lot of riders that went down on that jump, not just RV and IT. Some triple digit guy on a honda ate shit just as bad as those two on it. I seen 2 guys clip it, then went over the berm in the corner. Listening to all the lites bikes panic rev through that section was nuts. I'm all for challenging these guys, I just hate to see anybody get seriously hurt for failing the challenge by 6 inches.

Well, damn... I wish Dirt Wurx would have made the San Diego SX triple in '98 just about 2 feet shorter..... I missed 3rd gear, broke my arm and leg. Damn track builders.

|

"I think you're pretty slow, everyone else on here knew that for years."

4/18/2010 8:16 PM

The messed up thing about the landing was that they couldn't even land on it. They pretty much had to clear it and land on flat ground because it was so steep. If you guys would have been there in person I think you would agree. That is why Reed was griping about it. I don't blame him. And yea, Regis and Kathy Lee.... That's exactly what I said. Flatten out the whole track.

|

4/18/2010 8:18 PM

Regis, I'm all for technical and challenge also, but this landing was just plain dumb. It was like trying to land a 747 blindfolded. Everyone had a tough time. Lots of people tried to clear it. It was sketchy for most. When it didn't feel right they backed off and only doubled. I thought overall the track was awesome.

I just thought a little constructive criticism might have saved two riders from being in the hospital right now.

|

4/18/2010 8:23 PM

well you can look at it like the argument that guns don't kill people, people do

if you feel the jump isn't safe don't jump it, of course i'm saying that when i have no pressure to win but like regis said risk vs reward

but it really sucks that those guys got hurt and it wrecked poto's shot at two championships which really really sucks!

|

why am I reading this? ..... Oh christ, now I'm posting...... shiiiiiiiit!!

4/18/2010 8:25 PM

It wasnt even the landing that got RV he misstimed the rythem coming up to it and came up short. He didnt even make it to the landing. There was nothing different or dangerous about that jump it wasnt anymore dangerous then the rest of the track. All the 250 guys and 18 other 450 guys made it through all night.

Racing supercross is a dangerous game, maybe we should flatten the tracks and break out some 883s.

|

4/18/2010 8:25 PM

for Reed to complain, he had to have some problems with it. However, with all due respect to every single guy that rides a bike and races out there, you can't go changing tracks to level out the playing field.



lol And yea, Regis and Kathy Lee.... haha, I haven't heard that one before. good one. But I wasn't directing my post at you, it was more of a broad statement.

I am a firm believer in you need to know your ability and your comfort and if you are out of those elements then back it down. The track isn't making you jump anything, you are in the one in control. It's like saying guns kill people, no.... people kill people.

IMHO of course.

|

"I think you're pretty slow, everyone else on here knew that for years."

4/18/2010 8:25 PM

I know what you are saying jemcee.... It can go either way. I felt that jump was like giving an ak47 to some gang members though.

|

4/18/2010 8:26 PM

Digger437 wrote:

We sat right in front of that jump row 1. Dirt Wurxs came in after the heats and shaved 2" off the jump and added two buckets from the Bobcat T250 to the back side of the landing.

I thought cool they are fixing it but in reality they didn't change the angle steepness or lower the jump. It was too tall and too steep to clear it safely lap after lap and still land safely in the corner. Add the ruts that developed in the face of the take off and it just kept getting worse.

They easily could have shaved a foot off the landing and it would have saved both riders and not hurt the racing action one bit.

See that's my point...

If the landing was safer it would have been fine... Make it lower and shallower angle and all sweet... RV's factory suspension would have eaten it right up...

And the "separate the fast guys" argument is NULL AND VOID since the introduction of 450s...

It's not like 250s where only the freaks could rail a corner to jump something... On a 450 you simply twist the right hand anywhere and it will jump most anything...

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


4/18/2010 8:29 PM

mxsxfan wrote:

Who's going to watch the races with all the top riders out. There won't be any money to pay anyone. Reed done the right thing by speaking up. Only wish they would have done more to correct the problem.

I'd say STFU, NOOB!

But that's the most intelligent thing posted on this board all day.

Ok. STFU. And welcome.

|

4/18/2010 8:29 PM

RV's crash happened well before the landing, when he ejected off the bike. I'm not sure he'd have made it even if it was smaller...he was way short. I didn't see Tedesco's crash.

|

4/18/2010 8:30 PM

UpTiTe wrote:

It wasnt even the landing that got RV he misstimed the rythem coming up to it and came up short. He didnt even make it to the landing. There was nothing different or dangerous about that jump it wasnt anymore dangerous then the rest of the track. All the 250 guys and 18 other 450 guys made it through all night.

Racing supercross is a dangerous game, maybe we should flatten the tracks and break out some 883s.

If the landing had been a little kinder, his leg might be race ready. As it is....

|

4/18/2010 8:32 PM

GuyB wrote:

RV's crash happened well before the landing, when he ejected off the bike. I'm not sure he'd have made it even if it was smaller...he was way short. I didn't see Tedesco's crash.

With a tamer landing, he wouldn't have felt the need to eject.

|

4/18/2010 8:32 PM

UpTiTe wrote:

It wasnt even the landing that got RV he misstimed the rythem coming up to it and came up short. He didnt even make it to the landing. There was nothing different or dangerous about that jump it wasnt anymore dangerous then the rest of the track. All the 250 guys and 18 other 450 guys made it through all night.

Racing supercross is a dangerous game, maybe we should flatten the tracks and break out some 883s.

WhipMeister wrote:

If the landing had been a little kinder, his leg might be race ready. As it is....

Considering he was off the bike long before the landing I have to say your wrong.

|

4/18/2010 8:33 PM

Just so there is no confusion, I am really bummed we lost RV and IT to injury.

|

"I think you're pretty slow, everyone else on here knew that for years."

4/18/2010 8:34 PM

Regis wrote:

Just so there is no confusion, I am really bummed we lost RV and IT to injury.

Me too.

|

4/18/2010 8:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/17/2016 10:14 PM









|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


4/18/2010 8:35 PM

Regis wrote:

Just so there is no confusion, I am really bummed we lost RV and IT to injury.

That's great but when a rider specifically calls out a jump that he thinks is dangerous and correctly predicts that it end with riders being taken off with a stretcher, its hard to argue that there wasn't a problem with the jump and that's what you are doing.

|

4/18/2010 8:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/18/2010 8:38 PM

There is a big difference between a jump that seperates the top 5 from the rest of the pack, and a jump that is just flat out dangerous. You can decide which one it was, i know which one it was..

|

Enter my Weekly Fantasy Series here: Weekly Fantasy SX Series
Enter my Full Season Fantasy Series here: Full Season Fantasy SX Series

4/18/2010 8:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/18/2010 8:48 PM

Regis wrote:

Just so there is no confusion, I am really bummed we lost RV and IT to injury.

Masonry wrote:

That's great but when a rider specifically calls out a jump that he thinks is dangerous and correctly predicts that it end with riders being taken off with a stretcher, its hard to argue that there wasn't a problem with the jump and that's what you are doing.

I think Reed was right. It was dangerous.



I just don't believe in blaming the track or bike when going down. It's like blaming your mechanic when you hit the track and your gas is off. Or blaming your trainer when you get tired on the 10th lap.

Yes it does suck, and yes I do give every rider out there credit Reed, Dungey, Villo, all of them.... I was rooting for Villopoto and I am bummed we were robbed of the championship coming down to the wire, I personally can;t find it in myself to blame the track though. I just think damn, the kid was doing all he could to win that race and it bit him in the ass. One more rut to the right or left and only Ivan crashes and we aren;t having this discussion.

|

"I think you're pretty slow, everyone else on here knew that for years."