Chad Reed Comments about the New '23 KTMs in Supercross Whoops | Musquin and Plessinger Fire Back

SoCalMX70
8/30/2022 7:03pm
byke wrote:
He *was* top two or three. His whoop speed had slowed down a lot in his last year(2020), surely even more so today. Chad's best finish...
He *was* top two or three. His whoop speed had slowed down a lot in his last year(2020), surely even more so today. Chad's best finish in his last year was 10th and there were plenty where he barely qualified. His average points per round in his last season was 6.65, which is between 16th and 17th place. He's nowhere near the podium speed we just saw from AP.
All time he's top 3, period. That has nothing to do with him mailing it in for his last 2 seasons (with injuries).
8/30/2022 8:25pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
I would have loved to have seen that in person. MC rode a hot lap solo during opening ceremonies at Minneapolis in 1994 or ‘95 and it is probably my favorite pro moto memory to this day. I don’t think anyone else did a lap, and if they did they sure as hell didn’t do a nac nac! That factory Honda sound and SuperMac style! This vid of Reed is definitely reminiscent of that day from almost 30 years ago now, and it makes me happy that 22, with his similarly fond view of the King, carries about a bit of the same magic.
CPR
8/31/2022 4:55am
Come on, Reedy’s just pulling the piss and Plessinger and Marv are just playing along.
Anybody really think they’re going to publicly shit on their current employer like that?

The Shop

hasko158
8/31/2022 5:32am
hasko158 wrote:
Chad could barely qualify his last year. You don't see riders like JS or RC always bashing riders like he does. Granted, they shouldn't have opened...
Chad could barely qualify his last year. You don't see riders like JS or RC always bashing riders like he does. Granted, they shouldn't have opened the door and even commented.
You think he's really bashing these guys? No way is he not joking around. A couple seasons retired made him forget how big actual sx whoops...
You think he's really bashing these guys? No way is he not joking around. A couple seasons retired made him forget how big actual sx whoops, not practice track whoops, are? I don't believe it. He's fucking around
Chad and Ellie both, every SX season have IG posts about todays riders not being able to skim whoops. He's not joking around.
Johnny Ringo
8/31/2022 7:34am
yak651 wrote:
Yeah Reed NEVER complained about bike set up 😂😂🤦‍♂️
It just hit me that Roczen is the new Reed. Some guys are just never gunna be happy with their set-up.
Reed has 2 SX titles and 44 wins. Check yo self
Ob917
8/31/2022 7:46am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2022 7:47am
So the new bike is bigger, longer, stiffer. Why would it be worse in the whoops? Aren’t those changes designed to help whoop speed? They definitely don’t help cornering. Where did the development team fuck up?
Not that whoop speed matters to normal people since most public tracks are to lazy to build whoops anymore…….Except MtView, best part of their current layout are the whoops.
Johnny Ringo
8/31/2022 8:07am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2022 8:15am
It’s weird because in the early 2000s all the pros said the steel frame bikes (RM, 02-04 YZ) were better in the whoops than the Aluminum (CRs, 05 YZ)

Now it seems that steelys are what are getting the blame for poor whoop performance. Is it as simple as the difference between 2 strokes and four strokes?
wreckitrandy
8/31/2022 8:24am
It’s weird because in the early 2000s all the pros said the steel frame bikes (RM, 02-04 YZ) were better in the whoops than the Aluminum...
It’s weird because in the early 2000s all the pros said the steel frame bikes (RM, 02-04 YZ) were better in the whoops than the Aluminum (CRs, 05 YZ)

Now it seems that steelys are what are getting the blame for poor whoop performance. Is it as simple as the difference between 2 strokes and four strokes?
I'm inclined to believe that it's more about if you win or lose on a particular bike. If Chad had beaten RC in 05, the aluminum frame would have been fine... Guys get beat, they have to blame something.
8/31/2022 8:46am
yak651 wrote:
Not to mention complaining about tracks being too rough and not prepped properly ( Chadapult milleville)
Johnny Ringo
8/31/2022 9:00am
It’s weird because in the early 2000s all the pros said the steel frame bikes (RM, 02-04 YZ) were better in the whoops than the Aluminum...

I'm inclined to believe that it's more about if you win or lose on a particular bike. If Chad had beaten RC in 05, the aluminum...
I'm inclined to believe that it's more about if you win or lose on a particular bike. If Chad had beaten RC in 05, the aluminum frame would have been fine... Guys get beat, they have to blame something.
That doesn’t explain why RC was excited to go back to a steel frame in 05. He won both SX titles he raced on the Aluminum framed Honda. It’s no secret he struggled in the whoops on the red machine
byke
8/31/2022 9:04am
byke wrote:
He *was* top two or three. His whoop speed had slowed down a lot in his last year(2020), surely even more so today. Chad's best finish...
He *was* top two or three. His whoop speed had slowed down a lot in his last year(2020), surely even more so today. Chad's best finish in his last year was 10th and there were plenty where he barely qualified. His average points per round in his last season was 6.65, which is between 16th and 17th place. He's nowhere near the podium speed we just saw from AP.
SoCalMX70 wrote:
All time he's top 3, period. That has nothing to do with him mailing it in for his last 2 seasons (with injuries).
Read the post I replied to. This is about his whoop speed today, not his legacy. Nobody's questioning his legacy.
8/31/2022 9:12am
yak651 wrote:
Not to mention complaining about tracks being too rough and not prepped properly ( Chadapult milleville)
Where did he say the tracks were too rough in 2011?
SoCalMX70
8/31/2022 9:21am
byke wrote:
Read the post I replied to. This is about his whoop speed today, not his legacy. Nobody's questioning his legacy.
I'd put my money on Reed and perhaps Roczen in a "Red Bull Whoops" event if it happened tomorrow. If Stewart showed up you'd have your top 3.
str8line
8/31/2022 9:25am
byke wrote:
SoCalMX70 wrote:
I'd put my money on Reed and perhaps Roczen in a "Red Bull Whoops" event if it happened tomorrow. If Stewart showed up you'd have your...
I'd put my money on Reed and perhaps Roczen in a "Red Bull Whoops" event if it happened tomorrow. If Stewart showed up you'd have your top 3.
CC though.
wreckitrandy
8/31/2022 9:38am

I'm inclined to believe that it's more about if you win or lose on a particular bike. If Chad had beaten RC in 05, the aluminum...
That doesn’t explain why RC was excited to go back to a steel frame in 05. He won both SX titles he raced on the Aluminum...
That doesn’t explain why RC was excited to go back to a steel frame in 05. He won both SX titles he raced on the Aluminum framed Honda. It’s no secret he struggled in the whoops on the red machine
He struggled in the whoops his whole career because he's short. I remember him saying steel frames hook up better on hard dirt. I've been hit in the head a bunch, maybe I'm remembering wrong,,,, again!
byke
8/31/2022 11:32am
byke wrote:
SoCalMX70 wrote:
I'd put my money on Reed and perhaps Roczen in a "Red Bull Whoops" event if it happened tomorrow. If Stewart showed up you'd have your...
Reed would have to be better than he was in 2020 for that to be true. And when was James' last full, or full'ish, season? 2014?? I think you're letting your memory of these guys at their peak dominate your perception of their performance today. You can put your money on it, but you'd be throwing your money away in favor of fan romanticism over realism.
Sandusky26
8/31/2022 12:19pm
That doesn’t explain why RC was excited to go back to a steel frame in 05. He won both SX titles he raced on the Aluminum...
He struggled in the whoops his whole career because he's short. I remember him saying steel frames hook up better on hard dirt. I've been hit...
He struggled in the whoops his whole career because he's short. I remember him saying steel frames hook up better on hard dirt. I've been hit in the head a bunch, maybe I'm remembering wrong,,,, again!
The Honda 2 stroke didn’t have the best bottom end power and the Dunlop tires Honda was using were shit compared to the Bridgestone’s Yamaha was using. He had to lower the rear to get traction and the lowboy settings caused him problems in the whoops.

dsc131
8/31/2022 5:21pm
MrsTwoTwo will not stand for girlie men who can’t handle the whoops.
aees
9/1/2022 12:50am
Ob917 wrote:
So the new bike is bigger, longer, stiffer. Why would it be worse in the whoops? Aren’t those changes designed to help whoop speed? They definitely...
So the new bike is bigger, longer, stiffer. Why would it be worse in the whoops? Aren’t those changes designed to help whoop speed? They definitely don’t help cornering. Where did the development team fuck up?
Not that whoop speed matters to normal people since most public tracks are to lazy to build whoops anymore…….Except MtView, best part of their current layout are the whoops.
Because where they attach the shock to the frame seems like a bad idea looking back, or at least it will take time to find shock settings that can handle that design.
Searights
9/1/2022 9:11am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/08/30/566327/s1200_c7f0d6b60348eb4cdebe67cf80512075.jpg[/img]

Who’s the #12 dude in last place?
9/1/2022 9:51am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/08/30/566327/s1200_c7f0d6b60348eb4cdebe67cf80512075.jpg[/img]

Searights wrote:
Who’s the #12 dude in last place?
Pretty sure that’s Darren Villainman
Searights
9/1/2022 10:06am
I could sense some smugness underneath the helmet. 😉
Ranman68
9/1/2022 7:31pm
Whatever the case may be with the newest KTM and whoops, it's shocking to me that two, current, KTM factory riders would publicly fire back like that. I'm not saying they were wrong to or that their responses weren't valid. Maybe they were just diss'n the whoops Reed was hitting in the video compared to actual, chewed up, race day whoops. Maybe they weren't saying the KTM sucks in whoops. If so, that isn't clear, so it's something their KTM bosses probably ain't gonna like.
kopfjaeger
9/2/2022 9:15am
Ranman68 wrote:
Whatever the case may be with the newest KTM and whoops, it's shocking to me that two, current, KTM factory riders would publicly fire back like...
Whatever the case may be with the newest KTM and whoops, it's shocking to me that two, current, KTM factory riders would publicly fire back like that. I'm not saying they were wrong to or that their responses weren't valid. Maybe they were just diss'n the whoops Reed was hitting in the video compared to actual, chewed up, race day whoops. Maybe they weren't saying the KTM sucks in whoops. If so, that isn't clear, so it's something their KTM bosses probably ain't gonna like.
And I agree. MM25 has never been awesome in whoops, old frame he mostly doubled until 21. We all know, or should, that Factory bikes and consumer bikes are very different in set up and use demand. I think it was more of guys trying to use set up for previous gens on the new frame/engine and missing the mark. So far my 19yo, local pro Xc racing son has about 7 hours on his 450xc. Stock suspenders still, he is pretty damn happy. Even with a too soft, and unbalanced setup said it felt and turned better than his ‘21 yz450 on MX, and pulls better. His last race 350 was a 20 350xc with spring conv/bladder shock, awesome setup, he thinks this stocker is close to that in suspension. Not hitting sx whoops, but he seeks the ugliest square edge accel/braking bumps he can find to test, we have them as long as 40 yds and as deep as about 2’. Anyway. I will be surprised by any big changes to the consumer bikes. I am betting on changes to the factory setups. After RD5 said it was awesome and is doing well in mx, AP must have finally copied his setup or something. Will close with we will be racing soon and hope that we are as happy after racing as we are in early setup stages.
HD1200
9/2/2022 9:35am
byke wrote:
SoCalMX70 wrote:
str8line wrote:
CC though.
Haven't seen CC hit SX whoops on a 450 yet

Post a reply to: Chad Reed Comments about the New '23 KTMs in Supercross Whoops | Musquin and Plessinger Fire Back

The Latest