Chad Reed Believes Austin Forkner Should Turn Pro Now - What do You Think?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/9/2016 10:05 PM

Chad Reed's sharing his opinion this evening about what he believes Austin Forkner should do with his Pro debut. What do you think of Chad's opinion and what Austin has to say in response?

http://www.vitalmx.com/news/news/Chad-Reed-Believes-Austin-Forkner-Should-Turn-Pro-Now-What-do-You-Think,4031

Should Austin Forkner make his Pro debut for East Coast SX, or wait until Outdoors as he's currently planning?

View Results

|

2/9/2016 10:11 PM

Totally agree with Chad. Kid is a beast!

|

2/9/2016 10:11 PM

Why the rush? Let the kid come into it at his own discretion. People wonder why guys like Villo burn out at such an early age...

|

2/9/2016 10:14 PM

Racers race. He's got the skills to come in and challenge for the podium and race wins.

But the East Coast is deep this year even with AC out.

Although the Outdoors first route worked for Tomac and Barcia and got them adjusted to the pros.

|

2/9/2016 10:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2016 10:16 PM

I like the plan. Get used to the intensity and pressures of Pro racing on a MX track where the consequences are less. Come in to SX a little less wide eyed.

|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

2/9/2016 10:17 PM

|

2/9/2016 10:30 PM

i believe he should be practicing sx now.. get that base setting off PC and go give SX a go.. if he feels out of his depth then just learn and come out swinging for MX knowing half his competition already..

|

2/9/2016 10:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2016 10:40 PM

If I was in his position I would come to the east coast Supercross races and participate in practice/ time qualifiing but not race in the night show. It may sound silly but someone in his position could pull it off.

That right there would be the ideal way to ease himself into supercross.

|

2/9/2016 10:41 PM

Stick to the plan.

|

2/9/2016 10:51 PM

The kid is mad young. Take your time.

|

2/9/2016 10:53 PM

In ten years no one will remember this. Plans were made for a reason, I'm definitely in favor of running the scenario out as is. I asked Troy Dungey the day Ryan turned pro if there was ever a consideration to have Ryan start out in the 450's like Alessi did. He just simply said, "no reason to rush, he's only 16". Made perfect sense that day as it does today.

|

2/9/2016 10:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2016 10:56 PM

I don't want Forkner to turn into AC. I believe the smart choice would be to stick to their original plan. How crappy would it be if he went out for the first east round and got landed on? Or got too sketchy because he has't been hammering the SX practice? Pro Supercross is gnarly and can be super unpredictable for a new guy. Not to mention if something were to happen, everyone would be thinking "WHY DIDN'T WE JUST STICK TO THE PLAN?!"

Yes he looked great at the Monster Cup, but the Pro ranks are totally different.

I like how humble he is, though. I feel like deep down he knows he could be a top guy out there this year but I gotta say I really think they should stick with the MX debut. The selfish part of me says, "Hell yeah, race east coast!" but he knows his body and skill level more than anyone else. Also a bad idea to come out to SX if he hasn't been practicing SX.

|

2/9/2016 11:17 PM

he is 17, there is no rush, the list of riders that rushed in and got hurt is long,

cant wait to see him at hang town, starting off racing out doors did not seem to hurt Barcia or Tomac,

|

2/9/2016 11:22 PM

If he's been training for nationals rather than supercross these past few months, he should wait until Hangtown.

|

Contact Me

Instagram (@gdawson243)

Snapchat: gdawson2

2/10/2016 12:17 AM

That moment you realize a 17 year old makes more sense than a 33 year old.

|

*Anyone but Reed or Webb Crew*

2/10/2016 12:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/11/2016 12:22 AM

So if Forkner now has enough points to qualify for sx does he sit out the rest of arenacross because the plan is to go outdoors and stay healthy? I would say arenacross is just as dangerous as sx more so riders willing to take you out more than the track but still dangerous, and last time I checked arena cross was a pro event wasn't it? So hasnt he already debuted as an professional?

|

2/10/2016 12:59 AM

I don't really side either way. He's definitely good enough to race SX, and do very well, but if he wants to stick to his original plan and wait till Hangtown then I think that's fine too

|

2/10/2016 1:05 AM

My opinion is very simple, Austin should do what he feels is best for him.

His explanation seemed reasonable to me.

|

2/10/2016 1:22 AM

Honestly Chad, just keep you nose out and focus on your own program. It's not really any of your business what the kid does and in ten years no one will give a toss whether he started SX in 2016 or 2017.

I say that as a huge Reed fan as well.

|

2/10/2016 1:43 AM

I think he should at least get a taste of Supercross this year, race a few races without pressure. It'll give him perspective as he trains for a debut next year.

|

2/10/2016 1:43 AM

If he's good enough to ride arenacross and win there, I don't see a reason why he shouldn't ride SX. He doesn't have to race for the wins, but mid-pack is okay to gain more experience... And he is definitely better than any SX B 250 rider. Does that mean they shouldn't race as well?

|

2/10/2016 1:45 AM

EcoSX478 wrote:

If I was in his position I would come to the east coast Supercross races and participate in practice/ time qualifiing but not race in the night show. It may sound silly but someone in his position could pull it off.

That right there would be the ideal way to ease himself into supercross.

But he would be ducking and weaving the flying bikes in the C group, that might not be so much fun for him.

|

2/10/2016 2:04 AM

forkner has some serious talent, speed and desire. he will be winning races eventually no matter if he starts this year or next year. so whenever he feels ready, that's when he should race.

|

2/10/2016 2:25 AM

I don't know man. I get both sides... but it's pretty hard to argue that he's not ready, he just went 1-1 at an arenacross...`

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2/10/2016 2:28 AM

Maybe it's up to his parents ?

|

2/10/2016 3:14 AM

if then i would do selected rounds. probably daytona and vegas. they are kind of hybrid tracks and he can get a feel for those guys speed and what it will take to run with the top guys. he clearly said his program is not at a point where he could do a whole championship series.

|

2/10/2016 3:15 AM

how about the third way: half sx season?

|

2/10/2016 3:27 AM

I would think that sticking to the original plan should be the best decision.

|

2/10/2016 3:46 AM

With AC's current career trajectory, I expect Mitch, the PC team and this kids parents want to go the "safe" route, if there is such a thing in this sport.

|

2/10/2016 3:52 AM

That is a smart kid, and he seems to know what he wants to do. There's a saying "don't fix it if it ain't broke"

|