Cartwright is a boss

doofy
Edited Date/Time 4/28/2017 12:27pm
I think this dude is as much a hero as any of the top guys. How many pro mx'ers can say they finished high school - let alone college. And we aint talking community college, dude's in Florida state.

He's getting acknowledged for it which is cool. Hopefully he's an inspiration and shows these young amateurs that they dont have to quit school to be a pro. I dont mean to say home schooling is a joke either - AC is sharp as a razor.
|
kijen
4/8/2017 4:41pm
agree, hope he gets to the next level and battling for top 10's instead of just making the mains...would make the story even better.

A few years ago there was a guy going to Arizona I think, going for some sort of degree in physical rehab/training something or other..
motox11
4/8/2017 4:42pm
Got to meet and talk with his parents multiple times at the hotel and the stadium throughout the Atlanta weekend. Nothing but class and respect from the whole family. I think it's great that they stressed school coming first before bike stuff. He appears to have a great head on his shoulders with a great support system. He'll continue to go far in life!
JayBraap19
4/8/2017 5:01pm
kijen wrote:
agree, hope he gets to the next level and battling for top 10's instead of just making the mains...would make the story even better. A few...
agree, hope he gets to the next level and battling for top 10's instead of just making the mains...would make the story even better.

A few years ago there was a guy going to Arizona I think, going for some sort of degree in physical rehab/training something or other..
Yeah Rhett Urseth graduated college with a degree in kinesiology? I believe, while riding as a privateer. I haven't had social media in quite some time, so I'm not sure what he's up to, but last I heard he was just riding on weekends for fun and got a good internship/job as a physical therapist.
smoothies862
Fantasy
787th
4/8/2017 5:04pm
would be cool if FSU did a helmet for him. football replica. I root for him everytime.

The Shop

Mini Elsinore
4/8/2017 5:16pm
Yes, but what are his thoughts on the Reed-Dungey incident? Cade Clason's comments were highlighted here on Vital by a mod.... Whistling
4/8/2017 6:09pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2017 6:11pm
Tallahassee and FSU is a great destination for someone who wants to go to school AND race. MTF and GPF are about 30 minutes from campus along with the Goat Farm. Saw my very first motocross race at Mid-Lake Raceway in Tallahassee back in 1971. My profile pic was taken at that track during the Winter AMA in 1974.

I graduated from FSU in 84 (yes, I'm freaking old) and raced throughout my time at FSU. Back then all we had was the National Forest and a few outlaw practice tracks but the Winter AMA series was doable in January and February, Atlanta and Daytona had Amateur Supercross days, and there were a ton of tracks in South Georgia where we could go race. There was also a local club that put on killer hare scrambles races in the National Forest (before the greenies took over).

Tallahassee has moto history that dates back to the late 60's and is a really quaint, quiet little Southern town. You would be surprised at all the connections it has had to the top of the US moto world for the past 50 years.

Oh, and there is a pretty good football team there too. Cool I agree, Cartwright needs a helmet with some tomahawks.Evil
brimx153
4/8/2017 6:42pm
I honestly think if RC did nt quit school and went to college .He would not of got near as good as he was or won what he won . There seems to be a load of people here putting down riders for their lack of education ,Kind of pisses me off. Fair play to Cartwright ,thats what he wants to do .
Urseth727
4/8/2017 7:41pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2017 7:42pm
Yeah, I raced sx the entire time I was at Arizona State University to earn my bachelors in kinesiology. I then applied to Physical therapy school and got accepted. I made houston sx main event in 2015 as an offcially enrolled Doctor of Physical Therapy student. I didnt really get recognized for getting 18th place but it was such an awesome experience for myself personally!!! I have about a year left in my program and then I will be an official DPT.

Fun fact of the day- It takes 7 years after high school to be a physical therapist now a days, and you cant apply anywhere until you earn your bachelors... not to mention to even apply anywhere the minimum cumaltive gpa is 3.0 but the average they accept is around a 3.6, you also have to get a certain amount of observation hours, you have to hit certain cut off scores on the GRE test, have certain amount of community service hours, and prereq classes need to be completed, etc.

I wanted to continue to race sx in PT school but they ride us pretty hard in school. I spend about 50 hours a week on campus and living on student loans now so I had to kind of give the dream up and just ride on the weekends when I get a chance.

Good on Cartwright to continue to go to school while he is racing. I think that is badass and I definitely respect the work ethic and grind because I know it is tough!
kopfjaeger
4/8/2017 8:19pm
Urseth727 wrote:
Yeah, I raced sx the entire time I was at Arizona State University to earn my bachelors in kinesiology. I then applied to Physical therapy school...
Yeah, I raced sx the entire time I was at Arizona State University to earn my bachelors in kinesiology. I then applied to Physical therapy school and got accepted. I made houston sx main event in 2015 as an offcially enrolled Doctor of Physical Therapy student. I didnt really get recognized for getting 18th place but it was such an awesome experience for myself personally!!! I have about a year left in my program and then I will be an official DPT.

Fun fact of the day- It takes 7 years after high school to be a physical therapist now a days, and you cant apply anywhere until you earn your bachelors... not to mention to even apply anywhere the minimum cumaltive gpa is 3.0 but the average they accept is around a 3.6, you also have to get a certain amount of observation hours, you have to hit certain cut off scores on the GRE test, have certain amount of community service hours, and prereq classes need to be completed, etc.

I wanted to continue to race sx in PT school but they ride us pretty hard in school. I spend about 50 hours a week on campus and living on student loans now so I had to kind of give the dream up and just ride on the weekends when I get a chance.

Good on Cartwright to continue to go to school while he is racing. I think that is badass and I definitely respect the work ethic and grind because I know it is tough!
Post of the year! Definitely legit HOF post. Good job Rhett. Wish you a long successful career and happy life
mxbrian15
4/8/2017 8:45pm
As a Florida State University graduate, I cheer for this kid every time he's on the track. I rode every summer up there while I was in school. I don't think JT$ feels the same way though, as he is a fan of the enemy (Gainesville Gators as Mathes calls them lol!)
4/8/2017 8:51pm
mxbrian15 wrote:
As a Florida State University graduate, I cheer for this kid every time he's on the track. I rode every summer up there while I was...
As a Florida State University graduate, I cheer for this kid every time he's on the track. I rode every summer up there while I was in school. I don't think JT$ feels the same way though, as he is a fan of the enemy (Gainesville Gators as Mathes calls them lol!)
I used to race against JT$ dad Frank at Gatorback. He was fast.

Gaytors will always suck though!Laughing
GregDVT
4/8/2017 8:54pm
As a fellow ACC student I am all in for this kid! (Even though they have been whooping us in football)
mwssquad827
4/8/2017 9:01pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2017 9:02pm
Urseth727 wrote:
Yeah, I raced sx the entire time I was at Arizona State University to earn my bachelors in kinesiology. I then applied to Physical therapy school...

kopfjaeger wrote:
Post of the year! Definitely legit HOF post. Good job Rhett. Wish you a long successful career and happy life
Yup legit post and good on ya!! Good luck with the rest of school
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
4/8/2017 10:36pm
Urseth727 wrote:

Rhett, Are you doing PT school at ASU or NAU? Our daughter is looking at going to NAU for undergrad and grad school for Physical Therapy as well. As a side note, always enjoy watching you out at Motoland. Glad you are doing so well. Best of luck going forward.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
4/8/2017 10:40pm
Tallahassee and FSU is a great destination for someone who wants to go to school AND race. MTF and GPF are about 30 minutes from campus...
Tallahassee and FSU is a great destination for someone who wants to go to school AND race. MTF and GPF are about 30 minutes from campus along with the Goat Farm. Saw my very first motocross race at Mid-Lake Raceway in Tallahassee back in 1971. My profile pic was taken at that track during the Winter AMA in 1974.

I graduated from FSU in 84 (yes, I'm freaking old) and raced throughout my time at FSU. Back then all we had was the National Forest and a few outlaw practice tracks but the Winter AMA series was doable in January and February, Atlanta and Daytona had Amateur Supercross days, and there were a ton of tracks in South Georgia where we could go race. There was also a local club that put on killer hare scrambles races in the National Forest (before the greenies took over).

Tallahassee has moto history that dates back to the late 60's and is a really quaint, quiet little Southern town. You would be surprised at all the connections it has had to the top of the US moto world for the past 50 years.

Oh, and there is a pretty good football team there too. Cool I agree, Cartwright needs a helmet with some tomahawks.Evil
Cartwright trains at the Goat Farm with Savatgy, Owens, Faith, and Audette.
4/8/2017 10:52pm
Tallahassee and FSU is a great destination for someone who wants to go to school AND race. MTF and GPF are about 30 minutes from campus...

ML512 wrote:
Cartwright trains at the Goat Farm with Savatgy, Owens, Faith, and Audette.
Yep, I know.

Here's a Tallahassee story.

I moved out of town after I graduated, but in 1992 I was back in town to visit my in-laws. Decided I would drop by The Cycle Shop (Kawasaki shop) to visit my old sponsor, Wendell Poggie. I walked in and my old travel buddy Donnie Jackson who was the parts manager looked at me when I walked in and said at the top of his voice "Dave, you've been replaced as the fastest red head in Tallahassee. See that little red headed kid over there? His name is Ricky and he's gonna be somebody one day!"

It's not bad being the 2nd fastest red head from The Cycle Shop.Grinning We won't talk about the gap...
mxbrian15
4/9/2017 5:35am
mxbrian15 wrote:
As a Florida State University graduate, I cheer for this kid every time he's on the track. I rode every summer up there while I was...
I used to race against JT$ dad Frank at Gatorback. He was fast.

Gaytors will always suck though!Laughing
Nice! I'm at Gatorback as I type this.
Urseth727
4/12/2017 12:49pm
TbonesPop wrote:
Rhett, Are you doing PT school at ASU or NAU? Our daughter is looking at going to NAU for undergrad and grad school for Physical Therapy...
Rhett, Are you doing PT school at ASU or NAU? Our daughter is looking at going to NAU for undergrad and grad school for Physical Therapy as well. As a side note, always enjoy watching you out at Motoland. Glad you are doing so well. Best of luck going forward.
ASU does not have a PT program and I did not get into NAU. There are 4 PT programs in the state of AZ and I am currently attending A.T. Still University. We are in the east valley, in Mesa.. if you are familiar with the area. It is an awesome program as well. I would highly suggest this school if she is unable to get into NAU.
I think 1300 people applied the year I got accepted, and our class is of 60. We are the 2nd cheapest school in AZ but since it is not funded through the state, it is quite pricey.

On another note, Thank you all for your kind words it definitely means a lot. I want to be someone that can inspire the youth or create some sort of change when it comes to proper education and racing. I feel like we set these kids up for failure in a way if they don't make it in mx. I don't want 90% of dirt bike racers to turn 25 and have no education and no work experience. I was not able to top 10 any ama professional sx or mx events but I was able to make mains and sneak in a few points paying positions. I never made a salary when I was racing so it was ultimately just for the awesome memories I was making. I knew I had a back up plan and that took a huge burden off of myself when it came to racing.

I fully support and applaud Cartwright on the effort he is able to put in on the track and on campus. Sounds like a good deal and a fun gig riding at GOAT farm.

Sorry for the belated response, we have been pretty swamped this week in school.
MX Culture
4/12/2017 3:51pm
One of the reasons I help Josh.
Good kid, good program.
Hoping that others see what he is doing and continue that trend.

ACBraap
Fantasy
564th
4/12/2017 4:08pm
Great thread. I definitely cheer more for Cartwright knowing that he balances college with racing.

Michael Akaydin is another I like to see do well. If a bachelors is rare among pro riders, I'd be willing to bet he's the only MBA to make a 450 main, throw in that his undergrad was engineering and he gets mad props.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
4/12/2017 4:30pm
Urseth727 wrote:
ASU does not have a PT program and I did not get into NAU. There are 4 PT programs in the state of AZ and I...
ASU does not have a PT program and I did not get into NAU. There are 4 PT programs in the state of AZ and I am currently attending A.T. Still University. We are in the east valley, in Mesa.. if you are familiar with the area. It is an awesome program as well. I would highly suggest this school if she is unable to get into NAU.
I think 1300 people applied the year I got accepted, and our class is of 60. We are the 2nd cheapest school in AZ but since it is not funded through the state, it is quite pricey.

On another note, Thank you all for your kind words it definitely means a lot. I want to be someone that can inspire the youth or create some sort of change when it comes to proper education and racing. I feel like we set these kids up for failure in a way if they don't make it in mx. I don't want 90% of dirt bike racers to turn 25 and have no education and no work experience. I was not able to top 10 any ama professional sx or mx events but I was able to make mains and sneak in a few points paying positions. I never made a salary when I was racing so it was ultimately just for the awesome memories I was making. I knew I had a back up plan and that took a huge burden off of myself when it came to racing.

I fully support and applaud Cartwright on the effort he is able to put in on the track and on campus. Sounds like a good deal and a fun gig riding at GOAT farm.

Sorry for the belated response, we have been pretty swamped this week in school.
Thanks for the follow up and info on A.T. We will definitely check it out! Best of luck wiling your future, I know you will do well.
machine
4/12/2017 4:39pm
That's cool to hear, I also respect anyone who is successful after MX, no matter what they do or their education level. Hard work pays off at the end of the day. The guys going to college at the same time though are putting in work above and beyond..congrats.
JAC
4/28/2017 10:03am
It looks like I'm a few weeks late to this thread. I admit up front I'm the most biased person in the thread, since I'm Josh's dad.

I spoke with Josh this week and he read through all of the posts. He is extremely humbled and appreciative of the kind words and support. He wanted to comment himself, but this is final exam week at FSU and the New Jersey SX is this weekend, so he is even busier than usual.

It was interesting to hear from Rhett Urseth about his experience with college and racing. We wondered if anyone had ever made a Supercross main event while being a full-time college student. Rhett is probably the only person that understands what Josh's daily routine is really like. He is unbelievably busy, all day, everyday. I'd like to take credit for his work ethic, but I give most of the credit to the school he attended most of his life. They did a great job of instilling in him extraordinarily good study habits. He's very disciplined and focused.

Like every privateer, he's also responsible for managing the business of sponsorship. He currently has 19 sponsors that make the SX season possible. One of his sponsors, Dave Deringer (MX_Culture) posted in this thread and has supported Josh for several years. A big thanks to Dave, as we couldn't do it without his support.

For FSU fans, the Seminole helmet design is a possibility for next year.

Joey
4/28/2017 10:36am
JAC wrote:
It looks like I'm a few weeks late to this thread. I admit up front I'm the most biased person in the thread, since I'm Josh's...
It looks like I'm a few weeks late to this thread. I admit up front I'm the most biased person in the thread, since I'm Josh's dad.

I spoke with Josh this week and he read through all of the posts. He is extremely humbled and appreciative of the kind words and support. He wanted to comment himself, but this is final exam week at FSU and the New Jersey SX is this weekend, so he is even busier than usual.

It was interesting to hear from Rhett Urseth about his experience with college and racing. We wondered if anyone had ever made a Supercross main event while being a full-time college student. Rhett is probably the only person that understands what Josh's daily routine is really like. He is unbelievably busy, all day, everyday. I'd like to take credit for his work ethic, but I give most of the credit to the school he attended most of his life. They did a great job of instilling in him extraordinarily good study habits. He's very disciplined and focused.

Like every privateer, he's also responsible for managing the business of sponsorship. He currently has 19 sponsors that make the SX season possible. One of his sponsors, Dave Deringer (MX_Culture) posted in this thread and has supported Josh for several years. A big thanks to Dave, as we couldn't do it without his support.

For FSU fans, the Seminole helmet design is a possibility for next year.

Joey
Joey,

You definitely deserve some of the credit: the fruit never falls far from the tree, and you obviously raised a good kid with his head squarely on his shoulders. That doesn't happen by accident. Obviously, it's up to Josh to do the work, and it's his work that's getting done at this point in his life. But as a Dad myself, I know how hard it is to bring up kids the right way. You must be very proud.

I am a huge fan of what Josh is doing and I'll be there tomorrow cheering him on. I run a research lab and I'll be bringing my lab members to the race tomorrow: there's going to be 9 of us in total, so you better believe we'll be rooting for him. Hopefully we'll find you guys and say Hi! in the pits.
JAC
4/28/2017 12:12pm
Joey, You definitely deserve some of the credit: the fruit never falls far from the tree, and you obviously raised a good kid with his head...
Joey,

You definitely deserve some of the credit: the fruit never falls far from the tree, and you obviously raised a good kid with his head squarely on his shoulders. That doesn't happen by accident. Obviously, it's up to Josh to do the work, and it's his work that's getting done at this point in his life. But as a Dad myself, I know how hard it is to bring up kids the right way. You must be very proud.

I am a huge fan of what Josh is doing and I'll be there tomorrow cheering him on. I run a research lab and I'll be bringing my lab members to the race tomorrow: there's going to be 9 of us in total, so you better believe we'll be rooting for him. Hopefully we'll find you guys and say Hi! in the pits.
Please be sure to stop in the TXS pits and say hello to Josh. His mechanic Brett, is also a college student about to graduate. They make a good team. Unfortunately, I will not be there this weekend.

What kind of research lab do you run?

Joey
yz763
4/28/2017 1:24pm
Fellow FSU alumni here. I rode with Josh and a few others in Tallahassee a few times. He's a good dude and I wish him the best! The moto scene there is cool but some of the moto people around are so cultured in MX that their social behavior/ skills can be......awkward? Josh is not like that and I think that is pretty awesome.

The forest is pretty legit and the TTR guys are a pretty fun group to ride with. My path had good intentions but came out a little different. After breaking my neck, I realized it was time to go to college. I kept riding but no racing and finally graduated.

GO NOLES!!!!

Post a reply to: Cartwright is a boss

The Latest