Carpal Tunnel and Cubital Tunnel Syndromes

swatdoc
Edited Date/Time 3/6/2022 7:04am
For those of you out there with CTS, another Vital member had recommended a Dr in Florida that developed a proprietary minimally invasive procedure. His name is Dr Jurbala, and his office is in Lakeland, FL. From reading other posts on Vital over the years, I know a lot of others are dealing with CTS, so I thought I'd share my experience.

https://carpaltunnelexpert.com/#

I was diagnosed with CTS about 4 years ago by a neurologist using nerve conduction and electromyography. I have numbness and tingling in both hands sometimes 10-20 times a day, and the worst part is when I ride or race, I can only do about 2 laps before my grip strength starts going away - from then on it's scary as hell - it feels like the bars will fly out of my hands at any second and I'm gonna crash bad. I knew I needed surgery, but after seeing how long the recovery was for others with the traditional surgery, I put it off for years. With traditional surgery, they can only do one hand at a time, because your hand is pretty much worthless for quite a while afterwards. It can take weeks if not a few months for some people to return to work.

Well I checked out Dr Jurbala's website and read the reviews, and it seemed very promising. He could do both hands at the same time and recovery was FAST!

So I flew to FL from CA last week Wednesday, and had both hands done Thursday morning. Dr Jurbala has a diagnostic ultrasound machine he uses to visualize your nerves, and you can see them in real time. Both my left and right Median and Ulnar nerves were swollen to about 22-28mm in diameter - normal is about 8-9mm if I'm remembering correctly. The injections of anesthesia were the only thing painful about the whole process, but there's not much you can do about that. After letting the anesthesia take effect for about 30 min, he started the procedures. Each hand took only 5-10 minutes. About 10 minutes after he finished, I walked out the door, got in my rental car, and drove an hour back to the Orlando airport myself. Pretty amazing. Anesthesia wore off a few hours later, and the pain was totally tolerable. Took a couple Advil and that was it. Back home in SoCal Thursday night.

I'm typing this exactly one week from having the procedure done. Since that day I haven't had numbness or tingling in either hand (Median nerve areas) - pretty much an instant cure for that. I'm still a little sore, but feel like I could easily ride and race this weekend if I wanted to. Just incredible how fast the recovery is compared to the regular surgery.

I'm actually flying back to FL next week Thursday to have both elbows operated on for what's called Cubital Tunnel syndrome. Carpal Tunnel involves what's called the Median nerve - it innervates the thumb, index and middle fingers, and half of your ring finger. Cubital Tunnel involves your Ulnar nerve, which innervates the other half of your ring finger and your little finger. Instead of the wrist/hand area like the Median nerve, the Ulnar nerve gets compressed in the elbow - where your "funny bone" is. If you've ever hit your funny bone and had the zing go down your forearm into your hand and fingers, you know about the Ulnar nerve. Both the Median and Ulnar nerves contribute to grip strength, so I'm really hoping these surgeries will help. If nothing else, getting rid of the numbness and tingling is worth it alone.

Interestingly, from what I've read, I think Cubital Tunnel might be what Adam Cianciarulo has been dealing with this year and just had surgery for. He was saying his Ulnar nerve was involved and he would start losing his grip strength after a couple of laps - that sounded very familiar!!!

Here's a pic of my hands from today - one week after surgery. I'm pretty much back to doing 90% of daily activities. Just avoiding heavy lifting and stuff like that for a little while more - although I feel I could do it, I'm just following the Doc's recommendations.

So for anyone out there with these types of problems, I HIGHLY recommend Dr Jurbala. He holds like 6 patents on the instruments he invented to do these procedures with - I don't think anyone else is in the same league here.

|
Sprew
7/23/2021 12:21am
Glad you got some relief. Keep us posted on the ulnar procedure. Wife just had it done for the second time. Good Luck 👍
Motogoof
7/23/2021 3:37am
I posted up on this very subject just a little while ago. I to am waiting for the procedure but here in Ontario that could take forever. if you don’t mind me asking how much was it?
swatdoc
7/23/2021 6:53am
Motogoof wrote:
I posted up on this very subject just a little while ago. I to am waiting for the procedure but here in Ontario that could take...
I posted up on this very subject just a little while ago. I to am waiting for the procedure but here in Ontario that could take forever. if you don’t mind me asking how much was it?
I used my health insurance and it was only $400 out-of-pocket for both hands. It'll be the same for my elbows. My biggest expense was the flight, rental car, and hotel.

They did tell me starting August 1st they will no longer be in-network with Blue Cross/Blue Shield. The fee after that point will be right about $2500 for both hands or both elbows. Still a pretty good price. I'm pretty sure this will do more for my speed on a dirt bike than any modification or expensive parts I could ever buy!!

The Shop

yz763
7/23/2021 12:57pm
I just got off the phone with them. Appointment scheduled for next Friday! Great post!
swatdoc
7/23/2021 1:10pm
yz763 wrote:
I just got off the phone with them. Appointment scheduled for next Friday! Great post!
Excellent. I think you’ll be very pleased! I’ll be there Friday myself 12:30. Might see you there!
RDnutz
7/24/2021 7:53am
I suffered the exact same tingling/numbness in both hands for many years- dirt bike, street bike, MTB- all the same. Numb and unable to grip bars after a few minutes. Had same diagnostic tests described by OP, but I also have peripheral nerve issues in my neck that can radiate down my arms to fingers, so they had to eliminate that as cause 1st. Had both mine done in 2016 at UCSD in San Diego. Was age 59 then. Right hand in April and I was able to ride a little on a little dirt field track after 7 days. No pain or issues. Had the other 1 done in December and could test ride after 10 days pain free, but had a little weeping at stitched area still. My hands look the same as OP pictures.

Not sure what old procedure was vs. new described above, but it was a same day procedure and they actually put me under light anesthesia and needed a driver for ride home. It was all covered under my Anthem BS insurance after deductible.
swatdoc
7/24/2021 9:32am
RD you definitely had some form of minimal invasive.

The traditional method is regular surgery: pre-exam and clearance from your family Dr, including chest x-ray, EKG, and blood work. Then regular surgery in an operating room. My late wife had this type of procedure done. she was heavily bandaged and in a lot of pain (and she had a very high pain threshold) for quite some time afterwards. There was about a 3 1/2" - 4" incision/scar. It was several weeks before she could start to do normal everyday things with that hand again. If she was able to ride, it would have been at least 2-3 months before she would have been able to get on a bike again.
RDnutz
7/24/2021 9:53am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2021 9:55am
swatdoc wrote:
RD you definitely had some form of minimal invasive. The traditional method is regular surgery: pre-exam and clearance from your family Dr, including chest x-ray, EKG...
RD you definitely had some form of minimal invasive.

The traditional method is regular surgery: pre-exam and clearance from your family Dr, including chest x-ray, EKG, and blood work. Then regular surgery in an operating room. My late wife had this type of procedure done. she was heavily bandaged and in a lot of pain (and she had a very high pain threshold) for quite some time afterwards. There was about a 3 1/2" - 4" incision/scar. It was several weeks before she could start to do normal everyday things with that hand again. If she was able to ride, it would have been at least 2-3 months before she would have been able to get on a bike again.
yeah, I had all those mandatory pre-checks at separate pre-op appointments like 1 week before surgery. I also had bandage on there for I think 2-3 days and couldn't get it wet for a few (bagged & taped it for showers). I just left out that stuff so my post wouldn't be too long of a read. My follow up visit to remove stitches was 7 days after surgery. My incisions/scars on palms are barely 1" long.

Fortunately my Primary care Dr was good about giving referrals (I knew him for 20 years at that point) and the Surgeon I used had previously rebuilt my shoulder and it was flawless- so I trusted him 100%. I also have high pain threshold and heal fast too. Just lucky like that I guess Smile
swatdoc
7/24/2021 10:01am
Here’s a pic of the traditional carpal tunnel surgery

Slaughter612s
Fantasy
171st
7/24/2021 10:42am
Im going through the process right now. Have nerve conduction test next week, Just one wrist though, Left.
How did this work on the insurance side of things, or just pay cash?
Great information, thanks for posting!
swatdoc
7/24/2021 10:55am
Im going through the process right now. Have nerve conduction test next week, Just one wrist though, Left. How did this work on the insurance side...
Im going through the process right now. Have nerve conduction test next week, Just one wrist though, Left.
For the Dr I went to, I just paid my co-pay which was about $200 per hand. As stated earlier Dr Jurbala won’t be in the blue cross blue shield system any more after Aug 1st. After that it’s about $1200 per hand total cost.
But if you’re going to a dr that’s in the BC/BS system you’d just have to pay your co-pay like any other surgery
Slaughter612s
Fantasy
171st
7/24/2021 10:58am
Im going through the process right now. Have nerve conduction test next week, Just one wrist though, Left. How did this work on the insurance side...
swatdoc wrote:
For the Dr I went to, I just paid my co-pay which was about $200 per hand. As stated earlier Dr Jurbala won’t be in the...
For the Dr I went to, I just paid my co-pay which was about $200 per hand. As stated earlier Dr Jurbala won’t be in the blue cross blue shield system any more after Aug 1st. After that it’s about $1200 per hand total cost.
But if you’re going to a dr that’s in the BC/BS system you’d just have to pay your co-pay like any other surgery
Thank you for the info, the recovery time alone is worth it.
swatdoc
7/24/2021 11:29am
Oh yea - I would have made the trip and paid the full price just for the quick recovery alone as well
Meister
7/24/2021 9:09pm
I did the traditional route and it was absolutely worth every bit of recovery time for me.. That picture above definitely wasnt how my hands were cut. Mine look similar to the OP. Getting rid of CT changed my life for sure. Didn't realize how much I was actually dealing with even though my riding experience the past 10 years was similar to what the OP mentioned. Today I rode two 30 minute Motos with zero numbness and could feel my levers the whole time.

This elbow thing is next though. But that doesn't bother me while riding actually.
Rovalova
7/24/2021 9:24pm
swatdoc wrote:
For those of you out there with CTS, another Vital member had recommended a Dr in Florida that developed a proprietary minimally invasive procedure. His name...
For those of you out there with CTS, another Vital member had recommended a Dr in Florida that developed a proprietary minimally invasive procedure. His name is Dr Jurbala, and his office is in Lakeland, FL. From reading other posts on Vital over the years, I know a lot of others are dealing with CTS, so I thought I'd share my experience.

https://carpaltunnelexpert.com/#

I was diagnosed with CTS about 4 years ago by a neurologist using nerve conduction and electromyography. I have numbness and tingling in both hands sometimes 10-20 times a day, and the worst part is when I ride or race, I can only do about 2 laps before my grip strength starts going away - from then on it's scary as hell - it feels like the bars will fly out of my hands at any second and I'm gonna crash bad. I knew I needed surgery, but after seeing how long the recovery was for others with the traditional surgery, I put it off for years. With traditional surgery, they can only do one hand at a time, because your hand is pretty much worthless for quite a while afterwards. It can take weeks if not a few months for some people to return to work.

Well I checked out Dr Jurbala's website and read the reviews, and it seemed very promising. He could do both hands at the same time and recovery was FAST!

So I flew to FL from CA last week Wednesday, and had both hands done Thursday morning. Dr Jurbala has a diagnostic ultrasound machine he uses to visualize your nerves, and you can see them in real time. Both my left and right Median and Ulnar nerves were swollen to about 22-28mm in diameter - normal is about 8-9mm if I'm remembering correctly. The injections of anesthesia were the only thing painful about the whole process, but there's not much you can do about that. After letting the anesthesia take effect for about 30 min, he started the procedures. Each hand took only 5-10 minutes. About 10 minutes after he finished, I walked out the door, got in my rental car, and drove an hour back to the Orlando airport myself. Pretty amazing. Anesthesia wore off a few hours later, and the pain was totally tolerable. Took a couple Advil and that was it. Back home in SoCal Thursday night.

I'm typing this exactly one week from having the procedure done. Since that day I haven't had numbness or tingling in either hand (Median nerve areas) - pretty much an instant cure for that. I'm still a little sore, but feel like I could easily ride and race this weekend if I wanted to. Just incredible how fast the recovery is compared to the regular surgery.

I'm actually flying back to FL next week Thursday to have both elbows operated on for what's called Cubital Tunnel syndrome. Carpal Tunnel involves what's called the Median nerve - it innervates the thumb, index and middle fingers, and half of your ring finger. Cubital Tunnel involves your Ulnar nerve, which innervates the other half of your ring finger and your little finger. Instead of the wrist/hand area like the Median nerve, the Ulnar nerve gets compressed in the elbow - where your "funny bone" is. If you've ever hit your funny bone and had the zing go down your forearm into your hand and fingers, you know about the Ulnar nerve. Both the Median and Ulnar nerves contribute to grip strength, so I'm really hoping these surgeries will help. If nothing else, getting rid of the numbness and tingling is worth it alone.

Interestingly, from what I've read, I think Cubital Tunnel might be what Adam Cianciarulo has been dealing with this year and just had surgery for. He was saying his Ulnar nerve was involved and he would start losing his grip strength after a couple of laps - that sounded very familiar!!!

Here's a pic of my hands from today - one week after surgery. I'm pretty much back to doing 90% of daily activities. Just avoiding heavy lifting and stuff like that for a little while more - although I feel I could do it, I'm just following the Doc's recommendations.

So for anyone out there with these types of problems, I HIGHLY recommend Dr Jurbala. He holds like 6 patents on the instruments he invented to do these procedures with - I don't think anyone else is in the same league here.

I had mine done 15yrs ago, it was done that same way. 25mm scar at base of my palm
yz763
7/26/2021 7:33am
swatdoc wrote:
Excellent. I think you’ll be very pleased! I’ll be there Friday myself 12:30. Might see you there!
Sweet! I'll probably hang out until I get the feeling back in my hands. Thanks for the rec!
swatdoc
8/2/2021 2:10pm
Well I had the Cubital tunnel procedure done to both elbows this past Friday. This is for entrapment of the Ulnar nerves. I may have waited a bit too long to get this done. When he got in there, the Doc had a hell of a time cutting through the ligament to release the nerve on both elbows. He said they (Osborne's ligaments) were really thickened with scar tissue and starting to calcify. He eventually got thru them, but it wasn't easy. This may or may not affect the ultimate success of the procedure - time will tell. I did stay an extra day in FL - for this surgery, Doc didn't want me driving myself till the next day. Both elbows wrapped in Ace bandages for the first day, and just have simple Band-Aids over the small incisions now. Already the numbness and tingling in my little fingers is greatly reduced, so I'm optimistic for some good improvement, but time will tell how much improvement I'll get. Sure wish I had this done several years ago. Hope to be back riding/racing in about 2 weeks.

YZ763 - heard you were there on Friday but we didn't get a chance to cross paths - how are you doing?
Glen
8/2/2021 5:01pm
swatdoc wrote:
Well I had the Cubital tunnel procedure done to both elbows this past Friday. This is for entrapment of the Ulnar nerves. I may have waited...
Well I had the Cubital tunnel procedure done to both elbows this past Friday. This is for entrapment of the Ulnar nerves. I may have waited a bit too long to get this done. When he got in there, the Doc had a hell of a time cutting through the ligament to release the nerve on both elbows. He said they (Osborne's ligaments) were really thickened with scar tissue and starting to calcify. He eventually got thru them, but it wasn't easy. This may or may not affect the ultimate success of the procedure - time will tell. I did stay an extra day in FL - for this surgery, Doc didn't want me driving myself till the next day. Both elbows wrapped in Ace bandages for the first day, and just have simple Band-Aids over the small incisions now. Already the numbness and tingling in my little fingers is greatly reduced, so I'm optimistic for some good improvement, but time will tell how much improvement I'll get. Sure wish I had this done several years ago. Hope to be back riding/racing in about 2 weeks.

YZ763 - heard you were there on Friday but we didn't get a chance to cross paths - how are you doing?
I had both elbows done in 2011. My right arm was the same story, massive scar tissue. I was pretty discouraged months after the surgery as the numbness and tingling was reduced, but my hands were still aching terribly on the bottom (pinky side). But, the Dr. said that nerves heal at a rate of 1 millimeter a month. So, it took about 5 years in total to heal, but I'm glad I got it done. Good for you for getting it done, IMO only people who have this problem can understand. Good luck!
BAD10
8/2/2021 5:30pm Edited Date/Time 8/2/2021 5:31pm
Interesting thread and good info. The last couple years I started getting numbness in my fingers (Right hand the worst) to where I cant feel the levers much and affects grip strength. No pain though. My hands also go numb when holding my arms up while laying in bed reading, for example. Been wondering if this is CT or ulner nerve problem and now you guys really have me wondering! Anyone experience the same thing?
swatdoc
8/2/2021 7:02pm
BAD10 wrote:
Interesting thread and good info. The last couple years I started getting numbness in my fingers (Right hand the worst) to where I cant feel the...
Interesting thread and good info. The last couple years I started getting numbness in my fingers (Right hand the worst) to where I cant feel the levers much and affects grip strength. No pain though. My hands also go numb when holding my arms up while laying in bed reading, for example. Been wondering if this is CT or ulner nerve problem and now you guys really have me wondering! Anyone experience the same thing?
Bad - yes almost exactly the same symptoms as me. Get it checked - it’s very fixable. Just don’t let it go for years like I did. I never really had pain either. Laying in bed reading caused me hand numbness within 2 -4 minutes every single time. That is completely gone now!!!!
I’ll get back on my bike in 2 weeks to see about the grip strength, but I’m very hopeful seeing as the numbness has been totally cured.
BAD10
8/2/2021 8:08pm
BAD10 wrote:
Interesting thread and good info. The last couple years I started getting numbness in my fingers (Right hand the worst) to where I cant feel the...
swatdoc wrote:
Bad - yes almost exactly the same symptoms as me. Get it checked - it’s very fixable. Just don’t let it go for years like I...
Bad - yes almost exactly the same symptoms as me. Get it checked - it’s very fixable. Just don’t let it go for years like I did. I never really had pain either. Laying in bed reading caused me hand numbness within 2 -4 minutes every single time. That is completely gone now!!!!
I’ll get back on my bike in 2 weeks to see about the grip strength, but I’m very hopeful seeing as the numbness has been totally cured.
Wow man! Yup, that’s exactly right… just a couple minutes reading and they completely numb out! Definitely gonna get it checked out now. Thanks guys.
blaze 57
8/2/2021 8:56pm
Motogoof wrote:
I posted up on this very subject just a little while ago. I to am waiting for the procedure but here in Ontario that could take...
swatdoc wrote:
I used my health insurance and it was only $400 out-of-pocket for both hands. It'll be the same for my elbows. My biggest expense was the...
I used my health insurance and it was only $400 out-of-pocket for both hands. It'll be the same for my elbows. My biggest expense was the flight, rental car, and hotel.

They did tell me starting August 1st they will no longer be in-network with Blue Cross/Blue Shield. The fee after that point will be right about $2500 for both hands or both elbows. Still a pretty good price. I'm pretty sure this will do more for my speed on a dirt bike than any modification or expensive parts I could ever buy!!
That's a really good price. When I had it done it was $6,000.00 per hand about 20 yrs ago, I had the exact same scar in the same spot like yours. I was working out in a weeks time. Not that big of deal. My fusion surgery in my back I couldn't work out for a full year.
yz763
9/3/2021 6:13pm
How is everything healing, OP?

I had mine done that day (July 30th). At 18 days out, I went for a 23 mile road bike ride. My hands were pretty sore at mile 5-6. Just a few nights ago I did a 21 mile road bike ride and they were getting pretty sore at mile 10. I rode the Grom around today for about 50 miles and I really feel like I made some serious progress today. The strength is really starting to come back. I have a hard time picking myself up off the ground with my hands flat but I feel like I am getting better by the day. I have been using them regularly and have done several road trips with no numbness. No numbness on the road bike or on the Grom which is huge!
I am a little surprised at the recovery and pain. The recovery hurt a lot more than I expected. Most people I know that have had traditional carpal tunnel surgery have said the pain wasn't that bad. I give the first two weeks a 7 out of 10 in the pain area. After that, the pain came down about a half a point a week. The recovery seemed to be a little longer than i expected too but I typically don't listen to doctors when they tell me how long I should wait to do certain things. I am hoping to race round one of the Florida Trail Riders series coming up in two weeks. I think I should be pretty good for that.
Anyhow, two thumbs up! I highly recommend Dr. J and he loves our moto crowd.
Timo
9/4/2021 7:01am
I've had my hands go numb on me while mountain and dirt biking since my early 20's. It's started to get worse this last year, and they'll go numb while I'm driving. I finally went to the doctor and they wanted me to try wrist braces while I sleep since I hadn't lost grip strength and could hold the CTS test position without pain/tingling. After 5 nights it's making a big difference, my wrists feel funny and I have pain in my lower thumb joint on my left hand that's kinda been a dead spot for awhile. I think it's the feeling coming back, I also have much greater sensitivity in my fingertips. I hadn't noticed how much feeling I had lost.
Anyone who is experiencing CTS symptoms, but isn't a candidate for surgery yet should look into wrist braces while you sleep. I've also noticed I'm sleeping better because I'm not waking up due to my arm/hand having pins and needles. Apparently side sleepers are much more prone to get this due to hand and arm position. I wish I would have looked into this 10 years ago.
Loch
9/4/2021 8:59am
Do you have a link for the wrist braces for sleeping,never heard of them,thanks
swatdoc
9/6/2021 6:12pm
YZ glad to hear things are going well.

My pain wasn't bad at all. The only thing I have still is tenderness if I put pressure on the incision site - like doing a push-up. I think same as you're describing. my numbness in the median nerve areas is pretty much gone. Once in a while I'll feel something, but it's probably the nerve healing slowly.

i haven't raced yet - primarily because I sent my bike's cylinder and head off for some work and just recently got it back. Hopefully this weekend I can ride or race - very hopeful that my grip strength lasts more than 2 laps like it has the past several years.

my cupital tunnel surgeries results are kinda mixed right now - right side doing somewhat better, but left side not as good. I think I waited too long and the scarring and calcification were just too bad to get optimum results. As I mentioned earlier, Dr J had a hell of a time cutting through those ligaments in my elbows. Time will tell - again it can take a long time for nerves to heal. I'll remain hopeful I'll make slow progress with the ulnar nerves.

the real test is when I ride again - I should know more soon.
9/7/2021 6:31am
Also going through the same thing now too. Carpal Tunnel in both hands, dequervains synovitis in both wrists. arthritis in right hand and in both shoulders. Done everything from steroids to PRP injections, message, braces, PT. All do some, none do all. Trying to wait until 1st of the year to get the carpal tunnel release. In the meantime, for anyone looking for some temporary relief, I found 4% lidocaine patches. I wear them for maybe 30 mins before I go ride and it really increases the amount of time I can go before I start struggling.

Post a reply to: Carpal Tunnel and Cubital Tunnel Syndromes

The Latest