Carlsbad favor

brocster
Edited Date/Time 8/25/2020 7:16pm
Thinking of stopping at the old track site today on the way home from Pala. Could someone do an overlay of the old track map over a current satellite image? If you could, would you? It waiuld be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ryan
|
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
8/21/2020 11:33am
Whenever I go there, I feel like I do in a graveyard; very solemn, respectful and sad. There are MX ghosts there.

The Shop

FWYT
8/21/2020 11:38am
*hangs head and gets misty-eyed*
Stuntman949
8/21/2020 11:53am
Please stop at the brewery in the business park. Let us know how it is
mx317
8/21/2020 12:07pm
That was one on my bucket list I didn't get to do. If you were on a dual sport bike, could you ride on any part of the old track without getting busted?
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
8/21/2020 1:11pm
mx317 wrote:
That was one on my bucket list I didn't get to do. If you were on a dual sport bike, could you ride on any part...
That was one on my bucket list I didn't get to do. If you were on a dual sport bike, could you ride on any part of the old track without getting busted?
Yes, but get back out quick. There really isn't much of it you can ride, BTW. (Not the original track, anyway.)

There's a big empty lot up the hill where I taught my kids how to ride. You can see it in the lower left of the photo at the top of this thread. None of the original surface is there; in fact they graded it down a dozen feet or more to make the business park, but at least you can imagine being there.
brocster
8/21/2020 1:20pm
Thanks dudes and whats the name of the brewery.

Sorry falcon, I know there was a thread but don’t remember an overlay and these old eyes aren’t so good on the phone.
mx317
8/21/2020 1:21pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2020 1:22pm
mx317 wrote:
That was one on my bucket list I didn't get to do. If you were on a dual sport bike, could you ride on any part...
Falcon wrote:
Yes, but get back out quick. There really isn't much of it you can ride, BTW. (Not the original track, anyway.) There's a big empty lot...
Yes, but get back out quick. There really isn't much of it you can ride, BTW. (Not the original track, anyway.)

There's a big empty lot up the hill where I taught my kids how to ride. You can see it in the lower left of the photo at the top of this thread. None of the original surface is there; in fact they graded it down a dozen feet or more to make the business park, but at least you can imagine being there.
If I could just get on one piece of the old track I would be happy. I did get to visit the track in 1995, but didn't get to ride on it. It looks like maybe a piece of the starting line is there and a bit on that side.
Jjglass535
8/21/2020 1:25pm
Please stop at the brewery in the business park. Let us know how it is
Was there last year at a vintage bike show. It's called booze brothers. Great brewery !
Jjglass535
8/21/2020 1:26pm
brocster wrote:
Thanks dudes and whats the name of the brewery. Sorry falcon, I know there was a thread but don’t remember an overlay and these old eyes...

Sorry falcon, I know there was a thread but don’t remember an overlay and these old eyes aren’t so good on the phone.
Booze Brothers brewery
HuskyEd
8/21/2020 2:02pm
That is sad to see. I remember going to the GP and there being nothing past the airport but flower fields and then the raceway.
hubbardmx50
8/21/2020 2:37pm
Damn, I was gonna ride Pala today too but my buddy couldn't get the day off. Would've loved to spin some laps with you Ryan. Let us know what you see at Carlsbad and let us know how the brewery is. Lol! Does anyone know if the start gate or anything like that is still there? I believe the gate at saddleback is still there
Anton_514
8/21/2020 2:51pm
Was a trip to drive by that spot of property every time I went from my apartment to the old TWMX office or the Target at the top of the hill, always drove down Lionshead Ave, the place was long gone by the time I moved there in 2011.

There are a couple of good breweries right in that same complex, Booze Brothers where the Reunion happens and Beach Grease are cool spots to check out, but it sounds like Beach Grease has gone silent during the shutdown.

Pizza Port in Carlsbad Village, down by the beach, has a Carlsbad Raceway IPA on tap from time to time that's excellent, too.
PFitzG38
8/21/2020 3:11pm
Did anyone ever ride the Carlsbad replica track Marc Peters built at The Ranch? Uncanny the similarities. Like banking off the sides of the uphill. The Ledge, and The Horseshoe. It even had the stream crossing at the bottom. There was no doubt what replica track you were riding
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
8/21/2020 3:46pm
brocster wrote:
Thanks dudes and whats the name of the brewery. Sorry falcon, I know there was a thread but don’t remember an overlay and these old eyes...

Not a problem dude, I even quoted the wrong thread! WoohooGrinningGrinning
BAMX
8/21/2020 5:14pm
PFitzG38 wrote:
Did anyone ever ride the Carlsbad replica track Marc Peters built at The Ranch? Uncanny the similarities. Like banking off the sides of the uphill. The...
Did anyone ever ride the Carlsbad replica track Marc Peters built at The Ranch? Uncanny the similarities. Like banking off the sides of the uphill. The Ledge, and The Horseshoe. It even had the stream crossing at the bottom. There was no doubt what replica track you were riding
It's too bad that place shut down. The Carlsbad track was fun. If he just had sprinklers to leave on all night, it would have been dead on.
brocster
8/21/2020 5:38pm
Damn, I was gonna ride Pala today too but my buddy couldn't get the day off. Would've loved to spin some laps with you Ryan. Let...
Damn, I was gonna ride Pala today too but my buddy couldn't get the day off. Would've loved to spin some laps with you Ryan. Let us know what you see at Carlsbad and let us know how the brewery is. Lol! Does anyone know if the start gate or anything like that is still there? I believe the gate at saddleback is still there
Pala was fun. Crowd was light, guessing the heat kept some away and kids back in “school”.

I have been riding every Friday since tracks opened up from COVID. Mostly Pala and Perris. Look me up any time. This wouldn’t happen to be Dan???

Walking on the grounds is pretty surreal knowing that as a kid I got to see 1 professional race a year on TV, dreamed of one day riding there, and I was there some 40 ish years later on foot. The bottom is really over grown but the side of the hill where the start was is still pretty open. Not sure if that was left over ruts or someone has been hitting this one turn and a jump. I’ll mark it up on the map and try to post it. You can tell there is a lot of foot traffic out there and it looks like some mtbing on what’s left of the track in some areas. Funny thing is you can see where the track was cut into the hill and our spoiled asses would be bitching to high hell if tracks of today were that narrow. Ha!

Didn’t make it to the brewery, sadly enough now seeing the pictures. Was sweating ma ass off and didn’t want to have to sit outside in the heat. Seeing what was going on I am kicking myself in the ass.

For those that haven’t been and want to go. Turn off of lions head on to s Mel rose the right on aspen. park on the right just passed the first business (defunct) walk through their parking lot and over the hill an it’ll put you on the clearest most visible piece.

Thanks again dudes! Bucket list item checked
brocster
8/21/2020 5:51pm

Walked in where the arrow is. Old fencing still there but knocked over. Everything in the circle is still pretty open, everything else is badly overgrown. Glad I went while it is still recognizable somewhat.

Can’t believe I skipped the brewery! Dammit!
FeetUp
8/21/2020 7:33pm
I spent some time there back in the 70's at the Husky school.

There is a cool video floating around of Marty Smith looping out during practice starts at the school, with Rolf Tibblin laughing at him.

KennyT
Fantasy
280th
8/21/2020 7:49pm
Falcon wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/02/01/241426/s1200_s1200_Carlsbad_MX_Color_Now.jpg[/img] There's a whole thread about it here: https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Carlsbad-CA,1333856
Thank you so much for posting that. I drive past there several times a week and it’s been years since I stopped and walked around. It will make it much easier to get my bearings with this map...thanks! 👍
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
8/21/2020 7:51pm
brocster wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/08/21/444990/s1200_F38D92ED_F624_4867_8190_0BD5E561745D.jpg[/img] Walked in where the arrow is. Old fencing still there but knocked over. Everything in the circle is still pretty open, everything else is badly...

Walked in where the arrow is. Old fencing still there but knocked over. Everything in the circle is still pretty open, everything else is badly overgrown. Glad I went while it is still recognizable somewhat.

Did you go over to the starting gate and if so was there any remnants?
brocster
8/21/2020 10:03pm
brocster wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/08/21/444990/s1200_F38D92ED_F624_4867_8190_0BD5E561745D.jpg[/img] Walked in where the arrow is. Old fencing still there but knocked over. Everything in the circle is still pretty open, everything else is badly...

KennyT wrote:
Did you go over to the starting gate and if so was there any remnants?
Didn’t make it that far on that side. Stayed more towards where all the turns were. Was cool as hell just to be there. I’ll be back. Have relatives coming in town in a couple months and they want to check it out.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
8/21/2020 10:19pm
Falcon wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/02/01/241426/s1200_s1200_Carlsbad_MX_Color_Now.jpg[/img] There's a whole thread about it here: https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Carlsbad-CA,1333856
A crying shame and really makes me effing sad when I look at that picture.

Same thing with Lake Whitney.
OLDMOTO
8/21/2020 10:23pm
PFitzG38 wrote:
Did anyone ever ride the Carlsbad replica track Marc Peters built at The Ranch? Uncanny the similarities. Like banking off the sides of the uphill. The...
I rode it several times. It was almost identical. Even developed the same shitty square holes and bumps in the same places. I started racing at Carlsbad in 1968.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
8/21/2020 10:27pm
Falcon wrote:
This picture bums out me out. Tell me why again why the track had to go ? For some shitbox tilt up offices ? World class historic motocross track, oval short track, dragstrip, skatepark, Gran Prix track. It could have been a world class historic racing facility but no, some brainiacs decided that a few more tilt ups in a sea of empty tilt ups was a better idea. And now most of the land is still unused and just sitting there overgrown. Wtf......
Fuck Carlsbad I'll never spend one cent in that stupid town again. fuck em. Yes I know that will hurt them like Zero, but I don't give a shit it makes me feel better.

Post a reply to: Carlsbad favor

The Latest