Carlsbad, CA

1/30/2018 4:57pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2018 4:23pm
Getting to tag along with my wife for a business conference Feb 28-Mar 3 to Carlsbad, CA
Any cool moto related stuff within an hours drive of there? Or anything just badass and fun?
|
1/30/2018 5:30pm
Carlsbad state beach is nice. Pala is 30min away and glen helen is maybe an hour past that. There is a k1 speed in carlsbad if you like go carts.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
1/30/2018 5:37pm
In good traffic, you're within an hour of the following places: Fox, Pro Circuit, Oakley, TLD, the team Supercross test tracks, KTM/Husky, Kawasaki, Perris Raceway, Lake Elsinore MX, Pala Raceway, Factory Connection, and a few others...
tp4
1/30/2018 6:06pm
ML512 wrote:
In good traffic, you're within an hour of the following places: Fox, Pro Circuit, Oakley, TLD, the team Supercross test tracks, KTM/Husky, Kawasaki, Perris Raceway, Lake...
In good traffic, you're within an hour of the following places: Fox, Pro Circuit, Oakley, TLD, the team Supercross test tracks, KTM/Husky, Kawasaki, Perris Raceway, Lake Elsinore MX, Pala Raceway, Factory Connection, and a few others...
when's that..good traffic...lol...
not any more.
1/31/2018 9:03am
ML512 wrote:
In good traffic, you're within an hour of the following places: Fox, Pro Circuit, Oakley, TLD, the team Supercross test tracks, KTM/Husky, Kawasaki, Perris Raceway, Lake...
Are these places typically open to the public....namely KTM and TLD ?

If you need a "he's never ridden motocross, perhaps we can get his opinion test rider"....or a pretty good woods and rock rider......just let me know Smile

The Shop

1/31/2018 9:12am Edited Date/Time 1/31/2018 9:18am
Are these places typically open to the public....namely KTM and TLD ? If you need a "he's never ridden motocross, perhaps we can get his opinion...

If you need a "he's never ridden motocross, perhaps we can get his opinion test rider"....or a pretty good woods and rock rider......just let me know Smile
You don't want to spend your time in Southern California driving all the way up to Menifee and Riverside. You'll spend most of the day in your car. There's nothing you can see at those places any way.

Ever since Carlsbad Raceway closed down, there really isn't anything moto related in the area any longer. The reasonably closest thing you can get would be Pala Raceway which is about a 45 minute, relatively traffic-free drive from Carlsbad.

I would not venture up to Riverside or go anywhere near the 91 Freeway or 15 North of Temecula. That's a shitty way to spend your time. Stay around Carlsbad and enjoy the beach, nice weather and perhaps go to Pizza Port for some good beers and pizza.

If you want to do something unique in the area, go visit the Miniature Engineering Craftsmanship Museum in Carlsbad. It's badass and showcases a bunch of miniature scale gas motors. Super rad stuff if you're into that sorta thing.

https://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/

Brent
1/31/2018 9:19am Edited Date/Time 1/31/2018 9:34am
Are these places typically open to the public....namely KTM and TLD ? If you need a "he's never ridden motocross, perhaps we can get his opinion...

You don't want to spend your time in Southern California driving all the way up to Menifee and Riverside. You'll spend most of the day in...
You don't want to spend your time in Southern California driving all the way up to Menifee and Riverside. You'll spend most of the day in your car. There's nothing you can see at those places any way.

Ever since Carlsbad Raceway closed down, there really isn't anything moto related in the area any longer. The reasonably closest thing you can get would be Pala Raceway which is about a 45 minute, relatively traffic-free drive from Carlsbad.

I would not venture up to Riverside or go anywhere near the 91 Freeway or 15 North of Temecula. That's a shitty way to spend your time. Stay around Carlsbad and enjoy the beach, nice weather and perhaps go to Pizza Port for some good beers and pizza.

If you want to do something unique in the area, go visit the Miniature Engineering Craftsmanship Museum in Carlsbad. It's badass and showcases a bunch of miniature scale gas motors. Super rad stuff if you're into that sorta thing.

Well put. Carlsbad closed down in 2004, there is nothing motocross related worth seeing in San Diego any longer, all the tracks are near the Temecula / Riverside area now, and it’s not worth the drive and the hassle to fight the 15 north. Enjoy Carlsbad and downtown San Diego instead.
FWYT
1/31/2018 9:23am
You don't want to spend your time in Southern California driving all the way up to Menifee and Riverside. You'll spend most of the day in...

This man speaks local knowledge. Pizza Port . . . you must have lived down here?
Yeah, if the weather is nice, and it can go either way, screw everything and go to the beach.
Or rent a bike take the wifey for a ride along the coast. (There's a Pizza Port in Solana Beach, too.)
That's frigging nice. Ride along the coast from C'bad down to Pacific Beach.
Watch all the loonies on the boardwalk that are stuck in the 60's and then cruise back up.

If it was a couple months later, you could see lots of heavy pro action at Pala with the
guys getting ready for the outdoors. There will still be fast guys, but not as heavy.
1/31/2018 9:36am
FWYT wrote:
This man speaks local knowledge. Pizza Port . . . you must have lived down here? Yeah, if the weather is nice, and it can go...
This man speaks local knowledge. Pizza Port . . . you must have lived down here?
Yeah, if the weather is nice, and it can go either way, screw everything and go to the beach.
Or rent a bike take the wifey for a ride along the coast. (There's a Pizza Port in Solana Beach, too.)
That's frigging nice. Ride along the coast from C'bad down to Pacific Beach.
Watch all the loonies on the boardwalk that are stuck in the 60's and then cruise back up.

If it was a couple months later, you could see lots of heavy pro action at Pala with the
guys getting ready for the outdoors. There will still be fast guys, but not as heavy.
18 years. Worked on Palomar Airport Road about a mile from the racetrack for about 7 of those years. I miss that place a lot.

I forgot to give a nod to Tip Top Meats! Go there for great brats and beers!
dcg141
1/31/2018 9:36am
Stay at the beach.
BobbyM
1/31/2018 10:44am Edited Date/Time 1/31/2018 10:50am
Veracruz fish Co. San Marcos . Kickass pizza place nearby almost to the beach in Carlsbad. Dinahs on the road across from the beach. We're good back a few years. Kokos restaurant was pretty good too.

Stay off the freeways.
1/31/2018 11:15am
El Nortes is a good Mexican food spot. A two minute walk to the beach from there. Pala is a good spot to check out during the week. Usually pros will be out there testing but haven’t seen many out there as of late with it being SX season.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
1/31/2018 11:26am
Spy Optic and Commencal Bicycles operate out of Carlsbad. I think Alias does too, but I'm not sure.

You can also still see a piece of the concrete slab that the Carlsbad Raceway starting gate was embedded in, if you don't mind hiking down into the weeds. Google map these coordinates: 33.134744, -117.240770. History was made right there in 1980 when Marty Moates became the first American to win a USGP.
sdmx
Fantasy
1120th
1/31/2018 1:36pm
Falcon wrote:
Spy Optic and Commencal Bicycles operate out of Carlsbad. I think Alias does too, but I'm not sure. You can also still see a piece of...
Spy Optic and Commencal Bicycles operate out of Carlsbad. I think Alias does too, but I'm not sure.

You can also still see a piece of the concrete slab that the Carlsbad Raceway starting gate was embedded in, if you don't mind hiking down into the weeds. Google map these coordinates: 33.134744, -117.240770. History was made right there in 1980 when Marty Moates became the first American to win a USGP.
That's pretty cool. ...and you can still see remnants of Devil's Drop if you make the walk. The best part is that there are about 10 breweries with tasting rooms within a few miles of that exact spot.
90smoto
1/31/2018 1:44pm Edited Date/Time 1/31/2018 1:44pm
Carlsbad is a great area very nice. Not much moto anymore around but Oceanside pier is close, good spot for a couple drinks and some interesting people watching by the beach. Also the house from the movie "Top Gun" is right there and kinda cool to check out
Rocket88
1/31/2018 2:11pm
2/10 & 11 is the weekend to come out. Pet Co SX Sat nite & Carlsbad Raceway reunion at Booze Brother's in Vista Sunday.

Bauer will be there wearing a Hillary pant suit.
KMC440
1/31/2018 2:15pm
Bout 30 In-N-Out's ...
Myke
Fantasy
2861st
1/31/2018 2:45pm
dcg141 wrote:
Stay at the beach.
Best advice so far. If you plan on going to any of the moto places during the day you will be dealing with traffic.

Take your rental car and follow the coast south to pacific beach. The coastline is beatiful. Going to the test tracks is like visiting the set of a mad max movie.
SrfNdirt
1/31/2018 4:50pm
Go check out Blacks Beach. Park at the torrey pines glider port, walk down the trail and head north. One of the most amazing beaches in socal
gnarwhip
1/31/2018 4:59pm
J Law used to have a house there in his prime.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
1/31/2018 5:49pm
I have to agree with others that said don’t head North. The traffic will suck ass and the landscape gets worse every mile you head inland/North

Take advantage of amazing beaches and beach towns. Its a easy drive up to San Clemente/Laguna Beach/Newport. They r North of Carlsbad but you r cruising next to the ocean the entire way.any further and it starts to get nasty

Carlsbad/Leucadia/Solana Beach/La Jolla/Coronado Island are all top notch beaches/towns. You will come across the best Mexican food on planet earth but ask here or read reviews for the local favorites

If the Ocean isn’t your thing you could run by a local Harley dealership and rent a nice bike and head inland on some great twisties and have a blast. Go for a ride/drive in Rancho Santa Fe and try n find MC’s estate.

There are a few decent bike shops right on highway 78 which is a few miles from Carlsbad. NCY is by far the best one (they sell KTMs) no further explanation needed.

If you do feel the need to go up to Corona or wherever to check out tracks or shops make sure u do it during the right time. Anything near the morning/afternoon commute and you will be sitting in traffic
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
1/31/2018 8:02pm
El Nortes is a good Mexican food spot. A two minute walk to the beach from there. Pala is a good spot to check out during...
El Nortes is a good Mexican food spot. A two minute walk to the beach from there. Pala is a good spot to check out during the week. Usually pros will be out there testing but haven’t seen many out there as of late with it being SX season.
I’ll take Las Olas over El Nortes any day of the week.

My wife and I go out a couple times a year to Carlsbad for vacation. I would suggest renting bicycles and enjoying the scenery. The Trek store in Solana Beach even rents hybrid bikes. This worked great for when I convinced my wife to go from Carlsbad to Torrey Pines one morning.

P.S. you have to check out The Taco Stand in Encinitas!!
BobbyM
2/1/2018 7:34am
Not mentioned is the opportunity to take the coastal commuter train to San Diego for a few bucks and enjoying the ride from Carlsbad to SD. Nice ride for cheap.
2/1/2018 7:43am
I wanted to say a "Thank You" to everyone who chimed in earlier...but I was afraid if I did, all the great info would ceaseSmile
All this local knowledge is greatly appreciated and I definitely plan to follow all of your advice. Except for ML512...his advice stunk....just kidding....maybe if the Vital helicopter could swoop in and pick me up at the resort we could go visit some factories....otherwise...I'm staying near the beach and south.
ob
2/1/2018 7:43am
If you are going to be in North County SD you should stay. Heading into the I.E. would suck. To bad it's SX because if it was during the outdoors you could go to Pala 20min away from my house and see all the teams testing and practicing. Enjoy your stay I hope you like beer, Carlsbad and Vista are the brewery capitals of the USA right now. And by the way don't forget Sumer time clothes, it's been 70-80' everyday. Have a great trip!
Toosano
2/1/2018 8:13am
Rocket88 wrote:
2/10 & 11 is the weekend to come out. Pet Co SX Sat nite & Carlsbad Raceway reunion at Booze Brother's in Vista Sunday. Bauer will...
2/10 & 11 is the weekend to come out. Pet Co SX Sat nite & Carlsbad Raceway reunion at Booze Brother's in Vista Sunday.

This one?

Falcon
Fantasy
765th
2/1/2018 10:44am
I like Mr. Taco for Mexican food; they're in the shopping center just to the west of Cal State San Marcos. (San Marcos is right next door to Carlsbad.)
Stone Brewery is right around the corner in Escondido.
As Kenny T mentioned, NCY is on Montiel Road, right next to Highway 78. ECC is about 1/10th a mile farther east on the same road.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
2/1/2018 12:05pm
Falcon....I have been a long time consumer of Mr Taco, love that place. Did u know there is a Mrs Taco right down the street from the old raceway on Melrose? Basically the same food....closer to my house.
Trudare69
2/1/2018 1:30pm
Rocket88 wrote:
2/10 & 11 is the weekend to come out. Pet Co SX Sat nite & Carlsbad Raceway reunion at Booze Brother's in Vista Sunday. Bauer will...

Toosano wrote:
This one?[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/02/01/241422/s1200_hillary_costume.jpg[/img]
This one?

Why the hell is Trump wearing a Hillary mask? Tongue
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
2/1/2018 1:41pm
KennyT wrote:
Falcon....I have been a long time consumer of Mr Taco, love that place. Did u know there is a Mrs Taco right down the street from...
Falcon....I have been a long time consumer of Mr Taco, love that place. Did u know there is a Mrs Taco right down the street from the old raceway on Melrose? Basically the same food....closer to my house.
And here I thought "Mrs. Taco" was just a euphemism I used for my wife. Laughing

I lived much closer to Mr. Taco when I was down there... over by Palomar College.

Post a reply to: Carlsbad, CA

The Latest