Career Number System

tcallahan707
Currently, 26 riders have career numbers. I know it's been hashed out on Pulp and on here at times, but now that we have polls, maybe we can see what people think and really get some momentum to make a change. I personally think the career number system is broken. 250SX is a regional series. It should not count towards earning career numbers. These should be more exclusive, so that 450 riders have more low numbers to choose from. Also, it would result in more prestige for "earned" numbers based on season performance, since more low numbers would be dedicated to that part of the system and more riders would be battling it out for them. Thoughts?
Poll

Should the AMA count 250SX points towards career numbers?

Choices
|
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3887th
9/14/2018 11:17pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2018 11:18pm
Why not? They're all professionals, and people in the higher double digits are trying to make a name for themselves. Why shouldn't we reward them by allowing them to have a number?

Here's a theory, how about 250SX points don't count towards career numbers. Nobody has ever thought of that, eh?
tcallahan707
9/14/2018 11:46pm
Why not? They're all professionals, and people in the higher double digits are trying to make a name for themselves. Why shouldn't we reward them by...
Why not? They're all professionals, and people in the higher double digits are trying to make a name for themselves. Why shouldn't we reward them by allowing them to have a number?

Here's a theory, how about 250SX points don't count towards career numbers. Nobody has ever thought of that, eh?
I don't understand your "new" theory. I wrote... "It should not count towards earning career numbers".

As for why not? Because 450 riders and 250 riders do not have the same scenario in order to earn the same number, even if they are all professionals. 250 riders race in a regional series for a national number. That's like saying AX points should count because they are AMA professionals. It's actually quite inconsistent that the AMA doesn't allow that, given that AX, SX, and MX are (were) all AMA sanctioned professional racing series with different promoters.

As for rewarding them, that line can be drawn anywhere. It could be anyone that earns a point, or anyone who gets a pro card. I simply feel that it should be a more exclusive club, rather than inclusive. That's my opinion though.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
9/14/2018 11:53pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2018 11:55pm
I can't remember what year the change was made but it use to only be the 450 SX, 450 MX and 250 MX points that counted towards earning a national number.

Why was it changed? No idea.

I think it should go back to that system. Personally I prefer the run what you earn system over the career numbers.

Edit: Top 10 numbers should be reserved for the 450 class.
tcallahan707
9/14/2018 11:58pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I can't remember what year the change was made but it use to only be the 450 SX, 450 MX and 250 MX points that counted...
I can't remember what year the change was made but it use to only be the 450 SX, 450 MX and 250 MX points that counted towards earning a national number.

I think it should go back to that system. Personally I prefer the run what you earn system over the career numbers.

I believe the biggest reason for the change was GEICO Honda elites pushing for it. Makes sense from a marketing perspective for them.

The Shop

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
9/15/2018 12:09am
Actually I think the permanent number system came into effect in 2000.
Subotai
9/15/2018 8:35am
They should award 250 champs career two-digit numbers and 450 champs single-digit. Then you would know who's the real deal. End of story.
Mit12
9/15/2018 8:51am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I can't remember what year the change was made but it use to only be the 450 SX, 450 MX and 250 MX points that counted...

This is all about the marketing “money” of branding a rider. To me it diminishes the points race in each series and the year end points. The way it was before the change the fans could see how a rider did the year before by the number he ran. Every year at the first SX race we all got a program and started learning who was running what number. For those of you that are to young to realize that back in the day we did not have internet or social media so we had to wait a week to get results from a race or get monthly magizines that ran at least 1 momth behind in news.
loftyair
9/15/2018 8:51am
Top ten should reflect previous year result. Outside of that should be 'career' number. Also, premier class and support, ride any bike you want.
tcallahan707
9/15/2018 8:55am
Subotai wrote:
They should award 250 champs career two-digit numbers and 450 champs single-digit. Then you would know who's the real deal. End of story.
Totally agree. I lean towards more exclusivity. When you earn it, everyone (real fans) know you’re a badass.
tcallahan707
9/15/2018 8:55am
-MAVERICK- wrote:

Mit12 wrote:
This is all about the marketing “money” of branding a rider. To me it diminishes the points race in each series and the year end points...
This is all about the marketing “money” of branding a rider. To me it diminishes the points race in each series and the year end points. The way it was before the change the fans could see how a rider did the year before by the number he ran. Every year at the first SX race we all got a program and started learning who was running what number. For those of you that are to young to realize that back in the day we did not have internet or social media so we had to wait a week to get results from a race or get monthly magizines that ran at least 1 momth behind in news.
Can’t agree more.
tcallahan707
9/15/2018 8:56am
loftyair wrote:
Top ten should reflect previous year result. Outside of that should be 'career' number. Also, premier class and support, ride any bike you want.
I can get behind that.
Jroc
Fantasy
2533rd
9/15/2018 10:51am
I think the 250sx points earned should be divided by 2. It's half of the class competing so logically that makes sense.
smee113
9/15/2018 2:52pm
What's crazy to me is that under the new Supercross points structure, a rider who wins a 15 minute regional 250SX main scores 26 points, while a rider who wins a 30 minute national 450MX moto only scores 25.
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3887th
9/15/2018 3:33pm
Currently, 26 riders have career numbers. I know it's been hashed out on Pulp and on here at times, but now that we have polls, maybe...
Currently, 26 riders have career numbers. I know it's been hashed out on Pulp and on here at times, but now that we have polls, maybe we can see what people think and really get some momentum to make a change. I personally think the career number system is broken. 250SX is a regional series. It should not count towards earning career numbers. These should be more exclusive, so that 450 riders have more low numbers to choose from. Also, it would result in more prestige for "earned" numbers based on season performance, since more low numbers would be dedicated to that part of the system and more riders would be battling it out for them. Thoughts?
I misread it. I thought you said regional points shouldnt count towards numbers at all. Basically, I agreed with you.

Post a reply to: Career Number System

The Latest