Carbon fiber rims.

kongols
Edited Date/Time 6/11/2015 8:58am
A lot of smartasses in here so I want to know your input. What do you think? These are made in Latvia by a people who makes Carbon fiber products for Olimpic champions.

Info here

|
VET176
6/10/2013 11:33pm
Smartass coment # 1

5hp more in acceleration! wow on which bike may this be had?
Cashmore
6/10/2013 11:37pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2013 11:40pm
Ok first of all, I hand build composite parts (graphite aka carbon fiber) all day long for the V22 Osprey. So with that being said those wheels don't look half bad. I wouldn't put them on my bike though. I am WAY to picky about carbon fiber material, direction and overlaps. They look like good quality and will last longer than any aluminum wheel due to the fact carbon fiber does not corrode like metal. BUT the price will be up there as the material is very expensive.

EDIT: Actually with the aluminum spokes you might have some problems with corrosion. but years down the line maybe never. We do have this happen to our aircraft so I would assume the same thing is possible
wow123
6/10/2013 11:38pm
Some pretty extravagant claims!

Pretty sure Alu can bend and not break, where as CF will break so a failure will be BIG

Maybe they've got some flex and give in them I dunno
Cashmore
6/10/2013 11:44pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2013 11:46pm
wow123 wrote:
Some pretty extravagant claims! Pretty sure Alu can bend and not break, where as CF will break so a failure will be BIG Maybe they've got...
Some pretty extravagant claims!

Pretty sure Alu can bend and not break, where as CF will break so a failure will be BIG

Maybe they've got some flex and give in them I dunno
aluminum will create a stress point and have a weak spot in it forever eventually giving out. Carbon fiber will snap. The blades we build out of carbon do bend and last 100 hours + more over aluminum blades. Aluminum is a thing of the past its weaker and doesn't last nearly as long. Random fact carbon fiber is not recyclable. And yes if your wheel gives out your effed. Aluminum is the only choice for a dirt bike wheel good pointing that out wow123

The Shop

CRF-RIDER339
6/10/2013 11:56pm
VET176 wrote:
Smartass coment # 1

*4hp
Wink
kongols
6/11/2013 12:01am
VET176 wrote:
Smartass coment # 1

*4hp
Wink
They are working with Porsche and KTM so I`m sure there is some data behind that number.
tobz
6/11/2013 12:11am Edited Date/Time 6/11/2013 12:12am
Carbon fibre exhausts were all the rage a few years ago, until most of them eventually splintered/broke.

Gave the impression that theyre great when new, but didn't last long, and turned to shit QUICKLY once their life was up.

I run steel sprockets as apposed to aluminum, i sure as hell won't be forking out dosh to run CF rims.
VRR7
6/11/2013 12:53am
Looks like CF rims have potential - However to use an Ali profile as the mould and that is the solution is surely the 1st step - CF is much easier to mould hence it does not have to be the same shape - In fact it should make use of this benefit and introduce a shape that completments its attributes - Maybe include a sandwhich design - I see the weakest point is where the nipple meets the rims - I have seem nipple wear holes in ali rims if run to loose to long - How quick will a lose spoke in a CF rim wear through ? Much quicker I assume ..

From Bicycle CF rims :

"Unlike aluminium, the carbon fibre used to build wheels is made of two different materials, carbon and resin, which is why it is called a composite. The long strings of carbon fibre resolutely resist bending and give the material its stiffness, and the resin acts as the glue that holds them together. Carbon fibre is different from metals in a few key ways.

Shaping: A carbon fibre rim is formed by laying the material in a mould to give it its shape and is cured at high temperatures. Shaping the material with a mould, rather than welding tubes together, allows a manufacturer to develop components with clean aerodynamic shapes that are unattainable with metals.

Directional stiffness: Metals are equally stiff in all directions but carbon composites are not. The carbon fibres themselves are very stiff and resist bending, but the resin that holds them together is relatively soft and does not contribute significantly to the material’s stiffness. Since only the carbon fibres give the material its stiffness, it is only stiff in the direction the fibres are oriented. This has a massive impact on carbon frame design and also makes it very difficult to construct a carbon clincher.

Heat dissipation: Aluminium and other metals transfer heat quite well, but carbon fibre does not ... "
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/11/2013 4:58am
I'm guessing that the cost would put off most potential buyers.
mxracer816
Fantasy
2858th
6/11/2013 5:03am
tobz wrote:
Carbon fibre exhausts were all the rage a few years ago, until most of them eventually splintered/broke. Gave the impression that theyre great when new, but...
Carbon fibre exhausts were all the rage a few years ago, until most of them eventually splintered/broke.

Gave the impression that theyre great when new, but didn't last long, and turned to shit QUICKLY once their life was up.

I run steel sprockets as apposed to aluminum, i sure as hell won't be forking out dosh to run CF rims.
This
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
6/11/2013 6:05am Edited Date/Time 6/11/2013 6:06am
Great idea.. Most of my Down Hill and MTB friends are considering these as an option as many are available now for mountain bike wheels. I'm still little weary of the life span of these. Not sure if they have figured out how to prevent the carbon from breaking down but definitely big weight saving. Also be interesting if these affect the gyro effect of the wheels spinning hence making the bike easier to flip side to side and feel lighter as well.
wydopen
6/11/2013 7:22am
Moto_Geek wrote:
Great idea.. Most of my Down Hill and MTB friends are considering these as an option as many are available now for mountain bike wheels. I'm...
Great idea.. Most of my Down Hill and MTB friends are considering these as an option as many are available now for mountain bike wheels. I'm still little weary of the life span of these. Not sure if they have figured out how to prevent the carbon from breaking down but definitely big weight saving. Also be interesting if these affect the gyro effect of the wheels spinning hence making the bike easier to flip side to side and feel lighter as well.
i ran carbon cranks on my dual slalom bike for years and that bike took a beating...

everybody said they would snap (im 200lbs) but they held up..i think the cf rims are pretty dialed now...

im still running an alum dt swiss wheelset..
zippy895
6/11/2013 7:43am
its all about its makeup in construction.i personally see carbon rims on majority of highend dirtbikes in the future.
mxjordy127
6/11/2013 7:48am
Wheelset price range 1475-1875€
Rim price 400-415€
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
6/11/2013 7:50am
Since nice carbon rim mtb wheels are $2,000 currently, there is no way I'm interested in either.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
6/11/2013 8:01am
I'd be a buyer if I had enough cash to "experiment" with them. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to throw away that much money if they did break.
jeffro503
6/11/2013 9:02am
Not sure exactly what those may cost.....but probably a pretty penny for sure. I would like to see a set tested for a couple years and see what the longevity would be like.

For race teams : not sure I would risk a championship with CF rims.

For weekend warriors : I still wouldn't buy a set for the cost , and the longevity.

They are friggin' beautiful though!
jeffro503
6/11/2013 9:04am
Cashmore wrote:
Ok first of all, I hand build composite parts (graphite aka carbon fiber) all day long for the V22 Osprey. So with that being said those...
Ok first of all, I hand build composite parts (graphite aka carbon fiber) all day long for the V22 Osprey. So with that being said those wheels don't look half bad. I wouldn't put them on my bike though. I am WAY to picky about carbon fiber material, direction and overlaps. They look like good quality and will last longer than any aluminum wheel due to the fact carbon fiber does not corrode like metal. BUT the price will be up there as the material is very expensive.

EDIT: Actually with the aluminum spokes you might have some problems with corrosion. but years down the line maybe never. We do have this happen to our aircraft so I would assume the same thing is possible
Looks like I stand corrected on the longevity part! I didn't think it would be a good idea.....I guess I was wrong.
Parris
6/11/2013 9:09am
I just cry to the exposure you folks have to carbon fiber material these days When it breaks down and becomes airborne it way more dangerous than asbestos.
Sweendoggy
6/11/2013 9:14am
Composites work on airplanes so why not on moto wheels, but inspection becomes critical because when they break it won't be a slow crack, it will be sudden. I also bet they feel wicked stiff and possibly a bit harsh at the handlebars, but that is 100% speculation.
COAL-TRAIN
6/11/2013 11:46am
Parris wrote:
I just cry to the exposure you folks have to carbon fiber material these days When it breaks down and becomes airborne it way more dangerous...
I just cry to the exposure you folks have to carbon fiber material these days When it breaks down and becomes airborne it way more dangerous than asbestos.
Thats funny but not true. Also the Carbon wouldnt just break...it would stress crack and slowly fall apart. Kawasaki was looking into this a while back but it never happened. I think what has been figured is they are to stiff...not enough give and that can lead to other issues.
Bottom line is without actually testing it we really dont know how they would work.
COAL-TRAIN
6/11/2013 11:49am
Sweendoggy wrote:
Composites work on airplanes so why not on moto wheels, but inspection becomes critical because when they break it won't be a slow crack, it will...
Composites work on airplanes so why not on moto wheels, but inspection becomes critical because when they break it won't be a slow crack, it will be sudden. I also bet they feel wicked stiff and possibly a bit harsh at the handlebars, but that is 100% speculation.
It all depends on the aplication. Most of the aircraft parts made from carbon are for lightweight and rigidity. Mx wheels need give.
kongols
6/11/2013 12:24pm
I know that there are two guys in Europe and two guys in USA that are testing them right now.
motosicko
6/11/2013 1:35pm
My biggest concern would be mounting a tire on CF rims. I know how much force I put on my alum. rim edges with a tire iron. I would destroy CF.
yota
6/11/2013 3:25pm
motosicko wrote:
My biggest concern would be mounting a tire on CF rims. I know how much force I put on my alum. rim edges with a tire...
My biggest concern would be mounting a tire on CF rims. I know how much force I put on my alum. rim edges with a tire iron. I would destroy CF.
that and whacking them into something hard like a rock or another bike.
Lucifa.
6/11/2013 3:37pm
Tell me what happens to a carbon fibre rim when a cyclist hits a dog?

A: they fold in half.
Shiftfaced
6/11/2013 3:39pm
I have three sets of carbon fiber wheels for my bicycles. Two are mountain bike (one cross-country and one all-mountain); and a set for my road bike.

The lightness of the wheels would make the bike accelerate equivalent to a 5 hp gain, is what I am guessing. Because the rotational mass is reduced, it takes MUCH LESS power to get them to accelerate.

If you have a mtn bike, you cannot get a bigger bang for your buck than reducing rotational mass.

Give these guys a look. $560 for a complete set of 29'er wheels was worth the risk, IMO. That has been 6 months now, and they are still as true as the day I bought them.....

www.light-bicycle.com
Shiftfaced
6/11/2013 3:47pm
Carbon fiber has come a long way in a short amount of time. In reading this thread, people are talking about it being "stiff" and "unflexable". That is no longer true. Mountain bike applications (specifically in hard tail bikes), they have been able to create flexibility where they want it, and rigidity where they want it, to make the bike more compliant on the trail.

Read up on this carbon fiber seat post by Niner. It is getting such rave reviews that people are saying that it is almost like adding SUSPENSION to a hard tail bike!

http://www.ninerbikes.com/rdoseatpost

Post a reply to: Carbon fiber rims.

The Latest