Carb Question

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
Edited Date/Time 12/28/2017 9:40pm
Ive got a 98 yz250. I just bought a carb for a 99 yz250 for it. For anyone that has put the newer carbs on the older bikes, what did you do with the tps wires? Did you cut it? Zip ty it? Let it just hang off of the carb?
|
Frodad78
12/28/2017 10:00am
A local shop pulled the connecting plug out of the carb and filled the space with epoxy. Done deal.
Frodad78
12/28/2017 1:10pm
No problem! Good luck with the 99, I have a 04 that I just put back together, can't wait to rip it.
144rider
12/28/2017 1:24pm
I think I just taped mine to the rest of the wiring loom

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
12/28/2017 1:42pm
Frodad78 wrote:
No problem! Good luck with the 99, I have a 04 that I just put back together, can't wait to rip it.
Thanks! This is the last piece of the puzzle. Swapped the forks and clamps for newer stuff! New fmf pipe. We just couldn't get it to run right no matter what we did. So this last weekend I decided to take the carb off our 2005 kx250 and try it out. Sure enough that was the problem and the bike ran awesome! So if all goes well, I'll be riding it this weekend for the first time
mxtech1
12/28/2017 4:10pm
Frodad78 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Thanks! This is the last piece of the puzzle. Swapped the forks and clamps for newer stuff! New fmf pipe. We just couldn't get it to...
Thanks! This is the last piece of the puzzle. Swapped the forks and clamps for newer stuff! New fmf pipe. We just couldn't get it to run right no matter what we did. So this last weekend I decided to take the carb off our 2005 kx250 and try it out. Sure enough that was the problem and the bike ran awesome! So if all goes well, I'll be riding it this weekend for the first time
A lot of times the only way to get those older carbs working right is to replace or reseal the body and slide.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
12/28/2017 6:04pm
I personally wouldn't do anything irreversible like plug holes with epoxy just on the off chance you end up wanting to use the carb on a newer YZ250 or sell it to someone who does. As stated above, just tape the wires or seal them in a way where water can't get in them.

Bear in mind, the power jet is "normal-open" when it is not energized. That means it will never close and it will richen your jetting if the wires are not connected. The easiest way to address this is to replace the power jet with a small allen set screw that will thread in its place and plug the circuit. Remove the power jet from the carb and take it to Home Depot to compare. They have a selection with different thread pitches and lengths.

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
12/28/2017 6:05pm
FGR01 wrote:
I personally wouldn't do anything irreversible like plug holes with epoxy just on the off chance you end up wanting to use the carb on a...
I personally wouldn't do anything irreversible like plug holes with epoxy just on the off chance you end up wanting to use the carb on a newer YZ250 or sell it to someone who does. As stated above, just tape the wires or seal them in a way where water can't get in them.

Bear in mind, the power jet is "normal-open" when it is not energized. That means it will never close and it will richen your jetting if the wires are not connected. The easiest way to address this is to replace the power jet with a small allen set screw that will thread in its place and plug the circuit. Remove the power jet from the carb and take it to Home Depot to compare. They have a selection with different thread pitches and lengths.

Thanks man
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
12/28/2017 9:28pm
Frodad78 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Thanks! This is the last piece of the puzzle. Swapped the forks and clamps for newer stuff! New fmf pipe. We just couldn't get it to...
Let us know how she rides!
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
12/28/2017 9:40pm
Frodad78 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Let us know how she rides!
I will for sure! It’s been 3 years in the making. And it’s been a loooooong 3 years

Post a reply to: Carb Question

The Latest