Car hauling bike?

logan_140
3/14/2017 9:17pm
logan_140 wrote:
I see the 2 spots. Just hook from foot peg to the d ring?
DYE wrote:
Yeah I'm hoping that will be the solution to it rocking back and forth. Here is a pic from the company's website of it hauling a...
Yeah I'm hoping that will be the solution to it rocking back and forth. Here is a pic from the company's website of it hauling a street bike and you can see the extra straps

Oh ok yea I see that! How much do you think it weighs?
DYE
3/14/2017 9:20pm
logan_140 wrote:
Oh ok yea I see that! How much do you think it weighs?
I think just a little over 200 according to the website. I've disassembled mine a couple times and moved it around and I'd say that's pretty spot on
DYE
3/14/2017 9:23pm
Just saw your other question about how it drove. I got some vibration and wheel hop every now and then but I think it was from the bike leaning side to side. I'm hoping with the extra straps on there it will smooth that out. Still I got all the way up to 80 at times and it never scared me lol
pbody
Fantasy
320th
3/14/2017 9:32pm
My better half drives a 2014 Ford Focus, and I was surprised to see that the manual says no towing. Are the transmissions built so light these days that the extra weight of towing even something lightweight will wreck havoc on the transmissions?

The Shop

DYE
3/14/2017 9:38pm
pbody wrote:
My better half drives a 2014 Ford Focus, and I was surprised to see that the manual says no towing. Are the transmissions built so light...
My better half drives a 2014 Ford Focus, and I was surprised to see that the manual says no towing. Are the transmissions built so light these days that the extra weight of towing even something lightweight will wreck havoc on the transmissions?
Mine actually says no towing as well. I did a google search though and after a little research on there and knowing a guy that's pulled a trailer bigger than this for years with a cobalt I decided to go for it. The trailer + bike weighs less than 500 lbs total. Couldn't even hardly tell it was there
logan_140
3/14/2017 9:49pm
pbody wrote:
My better half drives a 2014 Ford Focus, and I was surprised to see that the manual says no towing. Are the transmissions built so light...
DYE wrote:
Mine actually says no towing as well. I did a google search though and after a little research on there and knowing a guy that's pulled...
Mine actually says no towing as well. I did a google search though and after a little research on there and knowing a guy that's pulled a trailer bigger than this for years with a cobalt I decided to go for it. The trailer + bike weighs less than 500 lbs total. Couldn't even hardly tell it was there
I have heard that in the us the manuals say no towing for legal reasons.. in Europe they tow with small cars all the time and the manual says it can tow
Bramlett321
3/15/2017 9:25am
f

Had a guy make this one for me several years ago and it's stood the test of time through all types of terrain.
doghouse
3/15/2017 9:34am
I dont think its for the transmissions. I think the manual states no towing for the brakes
It's always about brakes when it comes to towing. Having go isn't ever as important than having whoa.

Full Disclosure: I own a site work contractor, and we have everything from light pickups to Class 8 tractor trailers.

The biggest issue in towing is controlling the load. Wheelbase and brakes are the biggest factors. Towing something as light as a dirt bike though, anything bigger than a bicycle will suffice.
3/15/2017 9:52am
They always claim brakes when giving it a low rating but its complete bullshit in my opinion.

So a 70's or 80's full size truck with drum brakes can tow 1000 or 2000 lbs but our 2014 Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel is rated to two 0 lbs. Our car has disc brakes front and rear, traction control, abs, stability control, transmission out of a Caddy SRX, and an engine that is certainly capable of towing 1000 lbs yet GM gives it a rating of 0. Its all to save their ass from liability when some stupid idiot backs 40ft boat into a lake and the car is blamed. GM even gives you all the holes needed to install a CURT or other brand hitch on it in 10 min...but god forbid they let someone tow with it.
disforcfc
Fantasy
876th
4/4/2022 4:47pm
i have a 2012 hyundai sonata. I can only get a class 1 tow hitch installed on it. There, to my knowledge, are no bike racks for motocross bikes that will take to a level 1 hitch, i believe they all need 3 or higher?
i really would prefer not to get a trailer, as i dont really have the room for it or a spare 2500$ for a quality one. Does anyone have any other suggestions? are there ways to get a higher level hitch put on? from what i could tell, as its a newer car and there all uni body style, it looks like the hitch that fits my car has arms and plates that run up to where the rear suspension is to mount it.
I dont think a truck is on the horizon with car prices how they are now, plus gas. Id go tranist but yeah, 40k and all. lol
Glowie
4/4/2022 7:31pm
I am about to do an entire build thread on a moto specific trailer I plan on pulling with a Prius. Check back in a few days, I’m going to start this weekend.
gharmon
4/4/2022 10:09pm
I use my Ford Escape to pull both a small open and small enclosed trailer.

disforcfc
Fantasy
876th
4/8/2022 12:07am
Glowie wrote:
I am about to do an entire build thread on a moto specific trailer I plan on pulling with a Prius. Check back in a few...
I am about to do an entire build thread on a moto specific trailer I plan on pulling with a Prius. Check back in a few days, I’m going to start this weekend.
cant wait to see
R66
4/8/2022 5:53am
Check out the ‘23 Kia Sportage pick up.
Think “El Camino.”
There are also rumors if them coming out with s small truck in ‘24.
JMCR250
4/8/2022 6:13am
We have been towing race bikes with sedans and an ancient Holsclaw trailer for years and years. Never had a problem, but you have to keep within weight limits for obvious reasons. Currently using my wife's 2013 Honda Accord with 2.4L four and 6MT, and you hardly know the trailer is behind the car. The best part is you have a comfortable ride and get 30 mpg towing two MX bikes.
Roczoff
4/8/2022 9:41am
I made a cradle for the front wheel that plugged directly in to the receiver. The bike followed along, rear wheel on the ground (chain removed). It worked. Not great for the tire. Backing up was problematic.

It worked in a pinch. No pics.

Post a reply to: Car hauling bike?

The Latest