Can't grip my bike, help

VxeR
Edited Date/Time 8/23/2017 6:35pm
I have a 2016 SX125, and the seat is narrower than the plastics so I can't reach it. I tried grip tape but no difference. I was considering either this seat https://seat-concepts.myshopify.com/collections/ktm/products/ktm-2016-s… because it seems wider than the oem, or braces because I heard that being "bulky" they make gripping the bike easier.

I'd like to avoid getting the seat because it's very expensive+60$ shipping to Italy. At least the braces would be more useful.
Anyone else have this problem? And which braces would you recommend for this purpose?
|
8/23/2017 8:15am
If I remember correctly, elikoz/huskytamir had this same problem, but he wears a cold-war era Bulgarian track suit when he rides - which is a very slippery polyester. I don't think he ever received a satisfactory answer. Stegz Pegz were mentioned to him. Tried those?
JWACK
8/23/2017 8:18am
Sounds like a kegel problem broseph.
Titan1
8/23/2017 8:20am
It's not just your knees that you should be gripping the bike with...it should be everything from the knee down (toes pointed in, feet, ankles, calves/shins).

The Shop

JohnMatrix
8/23/2017 8:20am
Ever try gripping the bike with your ankles/calves? I find pinching the seat with my knees exhausting. On my last bike the seat was hard to grip so I changed my technique to grip the frame with the inside of my boots and it seems to work a lot better for me.
NJKawi913
8/23/2017 8:29am
I've has the same problem in the past and found it was a lot of body position issues. I can't speak for you're case exactly, but when i found the right neutral attack position i was able to hold on without the bike feeling like it was taking off from under me.
VxeR
8/23/2017 9:40am
No matter how hard I squeeze with my boots, they just slide right over the plastics. They're not grippy, as soon as I accelerate I get thrown back.
bvm111
8/23/2017 9:53am
Go to a skate shop and buy a huge roll of grip/ deck tape and make your own patterns and cut to fit. I have found this to last about 2 weeks and once you have a pattern made it's easy to replace. The grip tape isn't as course or abrasive as the stuff sold online I have found and gives just enough grip to assist but not destroy my boots or gear.
Titan1
8/23/2017 10:25am
VxeR wrote:
No matter how hard I squeeze with my boots, they just slide right over the plastics. They're not grippy, as soon as I accelerate I get...
No matter how hard I squeeze with my boots, they just slide right over the plastics. They're not grippy, as soon as I accelerate I get thrown back.
Maybe you aren't leaning info the acceleration enough?
NJKawi913
8/23/2017 10:33am
VxeR wrote:
No matter how hard I squeeze with my boots, they just slide right over the plastics. They're not grippy, as soon as I accelerate I get...
Titan1 wrote:
I tried this pretty good drill with a sharp set of footpegs you get on the gas hard and try to get the balls of your feet pushing into the front edge of the pegs. That helped me feel the bike stay planted under me, and from there i was able really use my knees to root myself into the bike.
TeamGreen
8/23/2017 10:54am Edited Date/Time 8/23/2017 10:55am
Acerbis makes lower-frame-guards with a rubber "gripping" surface.

Try these and learn to use your lower legs and ankles to squeeze the bike.

Also, I've had better luck hanging on with my knees on the FX/TX or FE/TE model GAS-tank (EX/XC on the KTM).

Good Luck!
Acidreamer
8/23/2017 11:22am
What worked for me on my 450 is to not whack the throttle open to the point of being too weak to fight the force. Also try leaning forward more when accelerating.
thorns
8/23/2017 12:26pm
Not sure if they are available in the states, but check out Steg Pegz. Look stupid, but man do they work well.
RCF
8/23/2017 12:53pm
Here's a problem I see with steg pegs, sometimes you need to get over the back of the bike and they lock your legs . had to talk my son's girlfriend into taking them off her bike

Craig742
8/23/2017 2:42pm
Put this on your legs and wait 10min. should be good to go

wsc96
Fantasy
474th
8/23/2017 6:56pm
How tall are you? Taller seat and/or lower pegs might help.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
8/23/2017 7:06pm
wsc96 wrote:
Yes, you look 6'0 or more in your pic.

If you are not starting the "grip" at your feet, that is the first problem. Grip starts down low, you don't actually try and grip with your knee its self. Its actually a little hard to teach someone to hold on with more then those hands, just takes time. Just think of some of those little bitty pro guys who are wfo with the 450 that has xx amount more power then the regular joe can get.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
8/23/2017 9:32pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2017 9:34pm
VxeR wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
NJKawi913 wrote:
I tried this pretty good drill with a sharp set of footpegs you get on the gas hard and try to get the balls of your...
I tried this pretty good drill with a sharp set of footpegs you get on the gas hard and try to get the balls of your feet pushing into the front edge of the pegs. That helped me feel the bike stay planted under me, and from there i was able really use my knees to root myself into the bike.
A better practice drill is to ride standing up on a flat practice area. Grip the bike with your legs, toes in. Take your left hand off the bars and keep it to your side thus holding on to the bars with just your right hand on the throttle. Then slowly accelerate and keeping your left hand off the bars for about 5-10 seconds. Then get on the brakes and slow down for about 5 seconds. When accelerating, learn to lean forward into the acceleration and let the bike "push you". When braking, lean back against the braking forces. This subtly teaches you to grip with the lower half of your body and to properly lean with acceleration and braking. The whole time, your left hand is off the bars at your side.
VxeR
8/24/2017 3:15am
wsc96 wrote:
imoto34 wrote:
Yes, you look 6'0 or more in your pic. If you are not starting the "grip" at your feet, that is the first problem. Grip starts...
Yes, you look 6'0 or more in your pic.

If you are not starting the "grip" at your feet, that is the first problem. Grip starts down low, you don't actually try and grip with your knee its self. Its actually a little hard to teach someone to hold on with more then those hands, just takes time. Just think of some of those little bitty pro guys who are wfo with the 450 that has xx amount more power then the regular joe can get.
Yeah I'm 6'1. I do grip with all my legs, toes in and all that, but as I said, no matter how hard I squeeze, my boots just slide all over the place. I aldready tried skateboard tape, but it didn't do anything
VxeR
8/24/2017 3:15am
Titan1 wrote:
NJKawi913 wrote:
I tried this pretty good drill with a sharp set of footpegs you get on the gas hard and try to get the balls of your...
TbonesPop wrote:
A better practice drill is to ride standing up on a flat practice area. Grip the bike with your legs, toes in. Take your left hand...
A better practice drill is to ride standing up on a flat practice area. Grip the bike with your legs, toes in. Take your left hand off the bars and keep it to your side thus holding on to the bars with just your right hand on the throttle. Then slowly accelerate and keeping your left hand off the bars for about 5-10 seconds. Then get on the brakes and slow down for about 5 seconds. When accelerating, learn to lean forward into the acceleration and let the bike "push you". When braking, lean back against the braking forces. This subtly teaches you to grip with the lower half of your body and to properly lean with acceleration and braking. The whole time, your left hand is off the bars at your side.
I'll try that out thanks

Post a reply to: Can't grip my bike, help

The Latest