Canadian Rockstar Triple Crown Series - Round #2 - Popkum Motor Park

Related:
Create New Tag

5/29/2018 5:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/29/2018 5:43 PM

- Round #2 of the new Canadian Mx Rockstar TripleCrown series this weekend in Popkum, British Columbia.

- Date: 2-Jun-18

- Research data: http://www.rockstartriplecrown.com/.

- Team(s) are beginning to roll out new rosters and bikes.

- 2018 Teams
1. GDR Honda - https://www.instagram.com/gdrhonda/?hl=en
2. Rockstar Yamaha OTSFF - https://www.instagram.com/rockstar_otsff_yamaha/
3. Monster Engery/Alpinestars/Piller's/Kawasaki - https://www.instagram.com/monsterenergyastarskawasaki/
4. Redemption Racing - https://www.instagram.com/redemptionracingmx/
5. Royal Distributing/FXR/Yamaha/MX101 - https://www.instagram.com/mx101racing/?hl=en
6. Carlson Racing - https://www.instagram.com/carlsonracingmx/
7. KTM Canada Racing Team - https://www.instagram.com/ktm_canada/
8. Sky Racing - https://www.instagram.com/skyracing17/?hl=en

|

- 2005 Honda CR250F
- 2004 Kawasaki KX 100
- 2004 Honda CR250R
- 2002 Honda CR125R
- 2001 Kawasaki KX 250

5/29/2018 5:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/3/2018 5:23 AM

2018 Popkum Motor Park Track Map

|

- 2005 Honda CR250F
- 2004 Kawasaki KX 100
- 2004 Honda CR250R
- 2002 Honda CR125R
- 2001 Kawasaki KX 250

6/3/2018 5:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/3/2018 5:23 AM

|

- 2005 Honda CR250F
- 2004 Kawasaki KX 100
- 2004 Honda CR250R
- 2002 Honda CR125R
- 2001 Kawasaki KX 250

6/3/2018 1:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/3/2018 1:31 PM

Orange and white are my favourite colours, but woo hoo for Colt, Canadian MX hero keeps marching on.

|

In my 60’s and still loving dirt scoots up here in the frozen north.

2021 Husky 501s

6/3/2018 1:37 PM

Is there anyway to watch the replays yet? I understand it's a new series but if you're going to run the races alongside the US races then at least allow people to go back and watch it. As a Canadian I have to think there are very few people who choose to watch Canadian moto over American moto. Kind of a joke if you ask me but I guess you can't expect much more from Canadian moto lol. They're probably just happy the live timing worked.

|

6/3/2018 4:27 PM

jorgechavez wrote:

Is there anyway to watch the replays yet? I understand it's a new series but if you're going to run the races alongside the US ...more

I was at Popkum yesterday and despite the talk about the track the racing was great from a spectator point of view. Great battles in both classes and the trees make for some very cool photo ops. There is room for improvement but for their first national - a job well done.

|

6/3/2018 4:37 PM

If you go 1/1 you get 60 points? Is it 30 points for moto win or is there points for qualifying?

From Jess Pettis Calgary round
Class Number Brand Moto 1 Moto 2 Class Finish Points Earned
250 Pro #15 HON 1st 1st 1st 60

|

6/3/2018 5:35 PM

Just got back from a amateur day. The mud bath we had today was quite a contrast to yesterday's dust bowl.

Heard comments from some big wigs that they are already planning to be back next year.

|

6/3/2018 5:53 PM

Anyone have any footage of this? The wife just came home with a new box of popcorn and I got some time to kill
Photo

|

6/3/2018 5:57 PM

Anyone know who is running the smoker in the 250 class and how they are fairing?

Wasn't Fraser running one last year?

|

6/3/2018 6:07 PM

I gotta root for Jake Nichols. I lived in Ipswich for a few years and loved the area and people. He's on my radar now. But Goerke is still my guy. But I'm fickle so Jake could be my guy if he kicks ass.devil

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

6/3/2018 7:27 PM

NATEP231 wrote:

Anyone have any footage of this? The wife just came home with a new box of popcorn and I got some time to kill
Photo

Goerke made a bullshit move on Thompson late in the moto and it ended up taking both of them down.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

6/3/2018 7:30 PM

R.EX wrote:

Just got back from a amateur day. The mud bath we had today was quite a contrast to yesterday's dust bowl.

Heard comments ...more

Personally I think going back there isn't the best option. Track is not a national caliber track. There must be better options somewhere in BC or Alberta.

|

6/3/2018 7:36 PM

chillrich wrote:

If you go 1/1 you get 60 points? Is it 30 points for moto win or is there points for qualifying?

From Jess Pettis Calgary ...more

It's 30 points for a moto win. They hand out points all the way to 25th.

1- 30pts
2- 27pts
3- 25pts
4- 23pts
5- 21pts

From 6th place down you score 1 less point than the position ahead. So 20pts, 19pts, 18pts...and so on.

|

6/3/2018 7:42 PM

plowboy wrote:

I gotta root for Jake Nichols. I lived in Ipswich for a few years and loved the area and people. He's on my radar now. But ...more

The way he spoke on the podium he made it sound like that was his only round. "Would love to come back to Canada". Hopefully he sticks around for a few more rounds and comes back full time next year.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

6/3/2018 7:52 PM

R.EX wrote:

Heard comments ...more

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Personally I think going back there isn't the best option. Track is not a national caliber track. There must be better options ...more

I see you are from Ontario, so im only assuming you have not been there? Because I personally disagree with your post. Popkum is one of the only tracks that comes to mind out west that has the resources, and the ability to transform their facility into what a national track is expected to be. For their first time hosting a national event, I think its a win in their eyes. Just need to work on the second moto dust bowls (But thats most tracks), and maybe some better viewing points for the stream, and in person spectating.

|

6/3/2018 8:04 PM

R.EX wrote:

Heard comments ...more

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Personally I think going back there isn't the best option. Track is not a national caliber track. There must be better options ...more

MK128 wrote:

I see you are from Ontario, so im only assuming you have not been there? Because I personally disagree with your post. Popkum ...more

I found it not that great for spectating, tough to follow any battles before they disappear out the rear and the big trees can hamper sight lines too although I did get some cool pics as well.

|

6/3/2018 8:18 PM

R.EX wrote:

Heard comments ...more

-MAVERICK- wrote:

MK128 wrote:

I see you are from Ontario, so im only assuming you have not been there? Because I personally disagree with your post. Popkum ...more

You're entitled to your opinion but a lot of people share the same one as me. Track has a tight/small layout, doesn't look all that wide. The dust was really bad. Spectator area seems to be located on one side on the track (looks that way from the stream so could be wrong). Track almost has supercross style layout/lanes. Go down a straight, bowl style turn, straight away, turn, etc. I think it should be opened up more so the guys could have better flow.

Malachi177 says the same thing. RP909 is local and says he rides it pretty much every weekend and agrees that it should be replaced. It looks OK as a practice track but I think needs a whole new layout in order to be a national caliber track. Not sure if that's at all possible. I've never been there so I have no idea how much acreage they have to expand. I know it's located on the side of a road/Highway so that limits things.

Don't get me wrong they did a great job as a first effort. I'm not sure how much time they had to prep the track and the facility so that it could be ready to host the national. I hear it rains a lot in BC so that could of shorten the amount of time they had.

I know one thing, BC looks beautiful.

|

6/3/2018 8:33 PM

good seeing joey crown top 5! he'll get better as they come east.

|

6/3/2018 8:35 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

MK128 wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:

You're entitled to your opinion but a lot of people share the same one as me. Track has a tight/small layout, doesn't look all ...more

I fully agree with you that the track will need work in order become a national caliber track. The point I was more so making, which after I read my first response, doesn't really come across so I apologize, is that Popkum is the best option you are going to currently get.

Was it a dust bowl, yes, but so is Calgary every year, as was Kamloops. My main criticism of that track has always been parking, and line of sight (in person and now as we seen on stream). It also may need some obstacle changes yes, but it has a much better canvas then Kamloops offered in my opinion, so I'm all for them having another shot at it. Plus, they don't seem to be lacking in the funding department, so I'm sure they could do more then a lot of tracks could.

One last thing about the dust.....I do not understand how it was so bad. That track is shaded quite a bit with mountain coverage, so it wasn't baking all morning like a lot of other tracks. I wonder if they were expecting rain, so they didnt soak it as much? The amateur national today was a mudder, so im only assuming?

|

6/3/2018 9:00 PM

MK128 wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:

You're entitled to your opinion but a lot of people share the same one as me. Track has a tight/small layout, doesn't look all ...more

MK128 wrote:

I fully agree with you that the track will need work in order become a national caliber track. The point I was more so making, ...more

They could have been anticipating rain so didn't water much in case the sky opened up. Like you mentioned the amateur day looked awful from what I've online. Popkum could very well be one of the best options in BC. I've never been that way but from what I've heard there's not that many track in the province. Certainly isn't worst than Nanaimo.I don't mind Kamloops. I'm not sure why it was removed from from the schedule. Blackwater MX Park hosted their first national last year and they did a great job so looking forward to next weekend to see if they've improved. That looks like a really fun/nice track. The riders all seemed to like it last year.

The guy/group that owns Popkum, any idea what they do for a living? Just curious since you mentioned funds don't seem to be an issue. Does the track have an automatic watering sprinkler system or is watering all done with fire hoses? They might want to invest in a sprinkler system.

I hope next year the series goes back to 10 rounds or even 12 for that matter. I like 10 because it allows our riders to go do some rounds in the US on the off weekends and I always like to see Canadians give it a go down south. That said a 12 round series just makes for a better series in my opinion.

Also, I personally think they need to go back to racing on Sundays with the amateurs and ladies on Saturdays.

|

6/3/2018 9:14 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

They could have been anticipating rain so didn't water much in case the sky opened up. Like you mentioned the amateur day ...more

I actually forgot about Prince George. I was also impressed with that track, but just because of location, I still choose Popkum. Prince George is just so far away, but the track definitely looked like it could be a good fit. Im sure others could answer your Kamloops question better then I can, as I'm honestly just going off of what I heard, but I heard there was trouble with the reserve the track is built on and the people who manage it. But like I said, just what I heard, so could be true or false.

I do not know the track owners personally, so my assumption on being well funded strictly comes from equipment on site, and track popularity. Its in a really great location, really fun track, always a good turn out, and they offer a lot of things other tracks should (One example is bike storage, and they have washing bays you can pay to use). Just a great facility all around.

I agree 100% with you for the series being 10-12 rounds. I have not been a big fan of the triple crown so far, but what they are doing with amateur racing is a huge plus. Also agree Saturdays should be amateurs like you said. Let the people who travel far and who have to be back to work on Monday morning have Sunday to travel.

|

6/3/2018 9:53 PM

MK128 wrote:

I actually forgot about Prince George. I was also impressed with that track, but just because of location, I still choose ...more

I looked at the map last year and I agree that Prince George is really far away but I suppose the track makes up for the long drive. From the stream last year it looks like you can see most of the track from just about anywhere. Good track for the spectators.

As for the triple crown series, they have a lot of things I think they could improve on but it's still early in the series so hopefully things will get better and better by each round. On the amateur side I've heard that it's been struggling for years out West. (Multiple promoters, small turnouts, etc.) The amateur scene in Ontario and Quebec has always been pretty strong. I know back in the early-mid 2000's the tracks were packed with racers. One thing I like now is that the triple crown series has 7 amateur nationals and that we are available to watch them via stream. Previously we could only watch Walton. I'm happy that the event is back this year. That place was always a good time.

|

6/4/2018 4:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/4/2018 4:40 AM

As has been indicated a few times in this thread - it is (1.) Very early in the new Jetwerks series and (2.) Too early in the larger overarching plan/vision that is Jetwerks and the Rockstar Triple Crown to make a complete comparative view on the previous organization.

As for Popkum, while I wasn't there and thus cannot comment - comparatively, a track like Walton that offers all of the aforementioned positive things a track should provide (layout, viewing, parking, concessions, vendor(s), pit setup, etc - wasn't built in a year.

In any industry, it often takes a new incumbent to enter the market to make positive change. At the closing of the last 450 moto at Walton, I think a better conclusion can be drawn on the series and which tracks can be altered to compete at the national level and which ones will be cut altogether.

|

- 2005 Honda CR250F
- 2004 Kawasaki KX 100
- 2004 Honda CR250R
- 2002 Honda CR125R
- 2001 Kawasaki KX 250

6/4/2018 4:47 AM

From the Popkum Motor Park crew:

popkummotorparkThe Factory Teams, Privateer Pro's & Amateur Racers are packed up from Round 2 and heading North to PG for Round 3 of the @triplecrownseries @amateuropen @mrc_racing @jetwerx National Motocross Championships next weekend. This event was a very big deal for our crew and we learned a lot about hosting a National Race. We have lots of notes on what we can do to improve this event next year and will implement those to make sure #popkummotorpark becomes better each and every year. We won't stop pushing ahead!! To the series sponsors, manufacturers, dealers, teams & all the riders attending our 1st National we wanted to thankyou, we wish you all the best in the remaining rounds ahead. Safe travels. Big thankyou to the spectators that showed up and braved mother natures elements to cheer on their favorite riders. We truly appreciate the support you showed. Let's try to grow this event every year. To those that snapped photographs or video and all the professional photographers on hand to capture the memories from this weekend....thanks for sharing you amazing shots?? Looking forward to June 2019????. The Crew @popkummotorpark

Photo

|

- 2005 Honda CR250F
- 2004 Kawasaki KX 100
- 2004 Honda CR250R
- 2002 Honda CR125R
- 2001 Kawasaki KX 250

6/4/2018 11:57 AM

race wrote:

Anyone know who is running the smoker in the 250 class and how they are fairing?

Wasn't Fraser running one last year?

bump

|

6/6/2018 10:31 AM

Presented by Guaranteed Mx - Popkum Motor Park - In The Pits

http://guaranteedmx.com/popkum-motorpark-in-the-pits/

|

- 2005 Honda CR250F
- 2004 Kawasaki KX 100
- 2004 Honda CR250R
- 2002 Honda CR125R
- 2001 Kawasaki KX 250