Can you guys fill me in on the Husky FC450 ?

jeffro503
8/1/2018 9:28pm Edited Date/Time 8/6/2018 4:26pm
I am thinking about picking up another 450 some time this fall , or maybe spring some time , and was wondering about your thought's , experience , ect.... with the bike and so forth? I'm looking at maybe a 17' or 18' left over , or possibly a low hour used one. Besides the regular suspension set up and what not......anything I need to know about these bikes?

Also curious , what the power delivery feels like compared to a new Kawi or possibly a 18' KTM 450? Any huge changes from the 17' , 18' and 19' model's? I'm keeping my TC 125 , and RM 250......just looking to add a 3rd bike is all.
|
8/1/2018 9:33pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I am thinking about picking up another 450 some time this fall , or maybe spring some time , and was wondering about your thought's...
I am thinking about picking up another 450 some time this fall , or maybe spring some time , and was wondering about your thought's , experience , ect.... with the bike and so forth? I'm looking at maybe a 17' or 18' left over , or possibly a low hour used one. Besides the regular suspension set up and what not......anything I need to know about these bikes?

Also curious , what the power delivery feels like compared to a new Kawi or possibly a 18' KTM 450? Any huge changes from the 17' , 18' and 19' model's? I'm keeping my TC 125 , and RM 250......just looking to add a 3rd bike is all.
Power is very linear.
Only thing to pay attention to is the spokes. They come loose like crazy.
jeffro503
8/2/2018 8:08am
jeffro503 wrote:
I am thinking about picking up another 450 some time this fall , or maybe spring some time , and was wondering about your thought's...

Power is very linear.
Only thing to pay attention to is the spokes. They come loose like crazy.
Thanks man. Anyone else?
8/2/2018 10:08am
Just picked up my 2019. Had a 2016 and 2017 previously. Forks on the 2016 sucked. All have smooth power and great handling super easy to ride. No issues with any of them.

The Shop

kb228
8/2/2018 10:10am
Im interested to see if the ktm/huskie is worth the extra money over the kx. Good thread
TSCHAM101
8/2/2018 10:47am
kb228 wrote:
Im interested to see if the ktm/huskie is worth the extra money over the kx. Good thread
can always put white plastics on the kawi with some Husky emblems and bam.. it will appear you have a larger pocket book... #ballinonabudget
flopper12
Fantasy
2247th
8/2/2018 11:12am
Phil McCracken?
rikhek
8/2/2018 11:16am
kb228 wrote:
I think a lot of people are mistaken on the price differential on KTM's versus Jap bikes. Difference, at least in "fly over country" where I live is minimal at best.

Here's what I paid for 450 KTM's OTD. Note these numbers don't include tax. All other fees included. In Oklahoma you only pay tax if you title the bike. Needless to say I don't title mine. KTM's being much more expensive is an urban legend despite getting superior quality. Tax is a push in this comparison as the differential would be the same as the tax rate is the same.

YEAR OTD MSRP
2017 $8,870 $9,400
2018 $8,800 $9,600
2019 $9,112 $9,900

Also, none of these bikers were bought latr in the model year or as leftovers. All were bought within 1 month of release.

Rick
kb228
8/2/2018 11:28am
kb228 wrote:
rikhek wrote:
I think a lot of people are mistaken on the price differential on KTM's versus Jap bikes. Difference, at least in "fly over country" where I...
I think a lot of people are mistaken on the price differential on KTM's versus Jap bikes. Difference, at least in "fly over country" where I live is minimal at best.

Here's what I paid for 450 KTM's OTD. Note these numbers don't include tax. All other fees included. In Oklahoma you only pay tax if you title the bike. Needless to say I don't title mine. KTM's being much more expensive is an urban legend despite getting superior quality. Tax is a push in this comparison as the differential would be the same as the tax rate is the same.

YEAR OTD MSRP
2017 $8,870 $9,400
2018 $8,800 $9,600
2019 $9,112 $9,900

Also, none of these bikers were bought latr in the model year or as leftovers. All were bought within 1 month of release.

Rick
Theres a $1000 difference in msrp. Higher quality is debatable. Im sure im in the minority but a couple weeks ago i didnt see $1000 worth of quality over the 19 kx when i was at the dealership. You got to remember that $1000 can be used to tailer a kx more to your liking than an out of the box ktm. Youre not sacrificing estart weight, hydro clutch or suspension anymore like 2018.
braaap707
8/2/2018 11:36am
Had a 16 KTM 450 sxf, ride my dads 17 Husky FC450 a fair amount and rode the 2019 KTM models at a KTM demo day. Also been able to prep and ride 2 Husky FC450 rockstar editions at my dealer. I know im comparing white to orange a little , whatever same stuff though. If were talking 17-18 FC450 compared to the 18.5-19 FC450 it is faster revving, snappier and builds power faster and motor has less engine braking. Coming from 2 strokes you will like that very much. Shifting under load is also better thanks to its pankl tranny. Ergos wise it is narrower in the shroud and airbox area. As for far as the new frame goes i think 99% of us can't feel the difference. All in all its a improved bike over what i think has been the best bike out there since 17. Do it and you won't regret it.
mxb2
8/2/2018 11:56am
jeffro503 wrote:

Super fast bike, super easy to ride.
rikhek
8/2/2018 12:01pm
kb228 wrote:
rikhek wrote:
I think a lot of people are mistaken on the price differential on KTM's versus Jap bikes. Difference, at least in "fly over country" where I...

YEAR OTD MSRP
2017 $8,870 $9,400
2018 $8,800 $9,600
2019 $9,112 $9,900

Rick
kb228 wrote:
Theres a $1000 difference in msrp. Higher quality is debatable. Im sure im in the minority but a couple weeks ago i didnt see $1000 worth...
Theres a $1000 difference in msrp. Higher quality is debatable. Im sure im in the minority but a couple weeks ago i didnt see $1000 worth of quality over the 19 kx when i was at the dealership. You got to remember that $1000 can be used to tailer a kx more to your liking than an out of the box ktm. Youre not sacrificing estart weight, hydro clutch or suspension anymore like 2018.
MSRP is meaningless. The only number that matters is OTD. I doubt anybody pays MSRP. I only posted MSRP as a reference point.
jeffro503
8/2/2018 12:40pm
Some good insight here guys , thanks. I just haven't had the chance to try a Husky yet. I'm seriously considering the 19' Kawi as well , since most all of my 450's have been green. I dig the chassis of my TC 125 , and was wondering if some of the chassis characteristics would carry over to the 450. I have a buddy on here with a 19' Kawi that he offered to let me take that for spin. Will be taking a serious look at both bikes.
hititpind
8/2/2018 12:45pm Edited Date/Time 8/2/2018 12:46pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Some good insight here guys , thanks. I just haven't had the chance to try a Husky yet. I'm seriously considering the 19' Kawi as well...
Some good insight here guys , thanks. I just haven't had the chance to try a Husky yet. I'm seriously considering the 19' Kawi as well , since most all of my 450's have been green. I dig the chassis of my TC 125 , and was wondering if some of the chassis characteristics would carry over to the 450. I have a buddy on here with a 19' Kawi that he offered to let me take that for spin. Will be taking a serious look at both bikes.
Im right where you are. I'm looking to buy either the Kawi or Husky 450 this upcoming spring. Currently leaning Kawi.
the kid 857
8/2/2018 12:59pm
Pickup up my 19KX a few weeks ago. I have a 17 kx as well and i can tell you hands down the 19 is way better. Motor is smooth, and pulls forever. Im a top end rider and this thing is nasty. Bike is very connected to the throttle and supper responcive.Bottom is smooth and pulls 3 out of coners and i live in Colorado at 6200 feet. I normally have to go up a tooth but no need with the 19. It leans into corrners very easy and with little effort. Clutch is very smooth feels like a cable but no fade. Front breaks are very strong and usable. I have Procircuit SFF A Kit on my 17 and i can tell you the front forks are very simmiler feeling. They use alittle more stroke then my A-Kit but awesome bottom resistance. The shock is smooth and predictable but still working on settings, Best stock stuff i have ever ridden. The bike is very thin and easy to move around, Im 6 Foot and it feels right at home. No snagging of my pants like my 17 did all the time. Very stable at speed like the 16-18. hope this helps. good luck, you cant go wrong with any new bike.
mxb2
8/2/2018 1:19pm
Pickup up my 19KX a few weeks ago. I have a 17 kx as well and i can tell you hands down the 19 is way...
Pickup up my 19KX a few weeks ago. I have a 17 kx as well and i can tell you hands down the 19 is way better. Motor is smooth, and pulls forever. Im a top end rider and this thing is nasty. Bike is very connected to the throttle and supper responcive.Bottom is smooth and pulls 3 out of coners and i live in Colorado at 6200 feet. I normally have to go up a tooth but no need with the 19. It leans into corrners very easy and with little effort. Clutch is very smooth feels like a cable but no fade. Front breaks are very strong and usable. I have Procircuit SFF A Kit on my 17 and i can tell you the front forks are very simmiler feeling. They use alittle more stroke then my A-Kit but awesome bottom resistance. The shock is smooth and predictable but still working on settings, Best stock stuff i have ever ridden. The bike is very thin and easy to move around, Im 6 Foot and it feels right at home. No snagging of my pants like my 17 did all the time. Very stable at speed like the 16-18. hope this helps. good luck, you cant go wrong with any new bike.
Bike looks great with a pc pipe. Is that the pro or non pro model? Other than weight, any power difference? Better,same? Hows the sound compared to stock or other kawy you owned? Thanks. Sik bike. Btw.
the kid 857
8/2/2018 1:48pm
Pickup up my 19KX a few weeks ago. I have a 17 kx as well and i can tell you hands down the 19 is way...
mxb2 wrote:
Bike looks great with a pc pipe. Is that the pro or non pro model? Other than weight, any power difference? Better,same? Hows the sound compared...
Bike looks great with a pc pipe. Is that the pro or non pro model? Other than weight, any power difference? Better,same? Hows the sound compared to stock or other kawy you owned? Thanks. Sik bike. Btw.
Its the non pro, Saved 3LBS with this babby. The bike feels alittle more reponsive and just felt like it opend it up all over, with slight more over rev nothing ground breaking, but it did help. The sound is very good, clean and crisp alot better sounding then stock. The header is alittle bit longer coming out of the motor then my 17 but muffler is the same.
kb228
8/2/2018 2:07pm
rikhek wrote:

YEAR OTD MSRP
2017 $8,870 $9,400
2018 $8,800 $9,600
2019 $9,112 $9,900

Rick
kb228 wrote:
Theres a $1000 difference in msrp. Higher quality is debatable. Im sure im in the minority but a couple weeks ago i didnt see $1000 worth...
rikhek wrote:
MSRP is meaningless. The only number that matters is OTD. I doubt anybody pays MSRP. I only posted MSRP as a reference point.
The dealerships around me are firm at msrp unless the oems have a sale. One of them has a 2017 kx450 still listed at $8400 right beside the 19kx for $9300
jeffro503
8/2/2018 2:17pm
Thank you for that! If the 19' is that good I may stay green. I really dug my 16' a lot. Hard to believe it could be much better than that bike. Your bike looks great btw!! Thank you for the full report. Was curious about those forks too.....sound pretty good.
mxb2
8/2/2018 2:24pm
mxb2 wrote:
Bike looks great with a pc pipe. Is that the pro or non pro model? Other than weight, any power difference? Better,same? Hows the sound compared...
Its the non pro, Saved 3LBS with this babby. The bike feels alittle more reponsive and just felt like it opend it up all over, with...
Its the non pro, Saved 3LBS with this babby. The bike feels alittle more reponsive and just felt like it opend it up all over, with slight more over rev nothing ground breaking, but it did help. The sound is very good, clean and crisp alot better sounding then stock. The header is alittle bit longer coming out of the motor then my 17 but muffler is the same.
Thanks, good info.
Bruce372
8/2/2018 2:30pm
If the 2019 still comes with a magura slave cylinder, be prepared for it to fail after 20hrs on all the 2016-2018 bikes
CSAR FE
8/2/2018 2:59pm
The FC450 is feels pretty mellow until you open up the airbox, do a slip on and remap. Its an awesome bike, and I think its deceptively fast. It has a very good midrange and top end/overrev. I had a 16 YZ450F previous to my husky, and the husky is better in every aspect. The YZ had more snap off the bottom, but it was very abrupt and aggressive compared to the husky.

The Magura slave cylinder has shit the bed on many of these bikes. I put a brembo unit on mine and haven't had any issues. If you get one, swap the inline filter out after your first tank. Mine had a bunch of debris in it, which partially clogged the inline filter and made the bike run like shit.

Overall, again, the bike is awesome and I wouldn't take any other bike in over it except maybe the SXF version (if you want a more aggressive power delivery without having to do anything).
BobPA
8/2/2018 3:02pm Edited Date/Time 8/2/2018 3:41pm
kb228 wrote:
rikhek wrote:

YEAR OTD MSRP
2017 $8,870 $9,400
2018 $8,800 $9,600
2019 $9,112 $9,900

Rick
kb228 wrote:
Kawasaki 450 MSRP : $9,299
Husky 450 MSRP : $9,999
Katoom 450 MSRP : $9,899

$9,999 - $9,299 = $600

Just some basic math...

Edit: Cannot believe no on called me on the mathematical error
BR8ES
8/2/2018 3:02pm
Bruce372 wrote:
If the 2019 still comes with a magura slave cylinder, be prepared for it to fail after 20hrs on all the 2016-2018 bikes
it's a Nissin
datkin128
8/2/2018 3:08pm
I agree with all this The bike is really pretty amazing IMO. I haven't ridden the other 19's, but if they are better they must all be amazing. One thing about this bike is the fork is so good (and the shock for that matter), you don't need to go do some spring conversion kit or go buy cone valves like a lot of KTM/Husky guys do. It's awesome bone stock.

Btw, that PC looks really good. Is it louder than stock? I really like the sound of the stock muffler. So much quieter than prior years.
Bruce372
8/2/2018 3:34pm
Bruce372 wrote:
BR8ES wrote:
it's a Nissin
???? talking about the Husky, not the kawi....
BR8ES
8/2/2018 3:55pm
Bruce372 wrote:
BR8ES wrote:
it's a Nissin
Bruce372 wrote:
Ah, sorry. Don't crucify me. The 19 Husky has Magura.
the kid 857
8/2/2018 4:40pm
datkin128 wrote:
I agree with all this The bike is really pretty amazing IMO. I haven't ridden the other 19's, but if they are better they must all...
I agree with all this The bike is really pretty amazing IMO. I haven't ridden the other 19's, but if they are better they must all be amazing. One thing about this bike is the fork is so good (and the shock for that matter), you don't need to go do some spring conversion kit or go buy cone valves like a lot of KTM/Husky guys do. It's awesome bone stock.

Btw, that PC looks really good. Is it louder than stock? I really like the sound of the stock muffler. So much quieter than prior years.
It’s about the same maybe alittle louder, but overall little more power and over rev. Sounds awesome
8/2/2018 5:06pm
kb228 wrote:
TSCHAM101 wrote:
can always put white plastics on the kawi with some Husky emblems and bam.. it will appear you have a larger pocket book... #ballinonabudget
HAHAH THIS KILLED ME. like throwing some cragers and valve cover on a old IROC lmao
Bruce372
8/2/2018 11:00pm
BR8ES wrote:
it's a Nissin
Bruce372 wrote:
BR8ES wrote:
Ah, sorry. Don't crucify me. The 19 Husky has Magura.
All good dude. I was confused lol

Post a reply to: Can you guys fill me in on the Husky FC450 ?

The Latest