Can we now consider Barcia a "changed rider"?

Edited Date/Time 2/27/2021 11:22am
There was lots of debate in the earlier rounds about Barcia with many believing sooner or later he would grenade his season with a "Barcia move", or taper off until he was barely running top 10 as he's done other years. We're a good way into the season now and bar the Friese incident (arguably not 100% his fault) he's ridden fairly clean compared to his past and is consistently delivering good performances. After Orlando 2 where he crashed hard in practice and came back to grab a podium in the Main I think it's time to admit that the real Barcia might have finally arrived. Thoughts?
|
bigk218
Fantasy
3155th
2/22/2021 5:18pm
Well said. He is on it. That bike is a game changer for him too. That Yamaha is a anchor for the “elite”
2/22/2021 5:27pm
The COVID break was really turning point for Barcia last year. He was 4th at round 8 in the Arlington triple crown despite getting landed on. He then toughed it out to a 2nd at round 9 in Atlanta
2/22/2021 5:28pm
As someone who has been critical of Barcia (as recently as a few weeks ago) I have to admit he appears to have turned a new leaf somewhat. I was impressed by the way he handled the Friese incident, I'm not sure Barcia of the past few years would have handled it as well.
2/22/2021 5:29pm
There was lots of debate in the earlier rounds about Barcia with many believing sooner or later he would grenade his season with a "Barcia move"...
There was lots of debate in the earlier rounds about Barcia with many believing sooner or later he would grenade his season with a "Barcia move", or taper off until he was barely running top 10 as he's done other years. We're a good way into the season now and bar the Friese incident (arguably not 100% his fault) he's ridden fairly clean compared to his past and is consistently delivering good performances. After Orlando 2 where he crashed hard in practice and came back to grab a podium in the Main I think it's time to admit that the real Barcia might have finally arrived. Thoughts?
He did the same thing on the Yammy. great at the start of the season then same old story. We shall see this year though.

The Shop

2/22/2021 5:30pm
The guy was an outstanding 250 rider he never lacked the talent, he fell off a bit when he got some money then that Yammy held back his style, I'm not surprised in the slightest where he is right now as a long time fan of his, I believe he can still ride better than he is.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/22/2021 5:32pm
bigk218 wrote:
Well said. He is on it. That bike is a game changer for him too. That Yamaha is a anchor for the “elite”
Using that logic, I'm trying to figure out how Malcolm, Ferrandis, and Plessinger are doing so well this season.
2/22/2021 5:32pm Edited Date/Time 2/22/2021 5:33pm
Barcia through 8 rounds:
2020: 1-2-9-5-6-5-4-4, 154 points 4th overall
2021: 1-9-4-13-2-19-4-3, 136 points 4th overall

He's still behind where he was at this point last season, but a hard-fought podium this week was great to see. Hopefully he can stay healthy and in contention for podiums.
2/22/2021 5:53pm
Sure he does seem to be a lot more professional on this gas gas team but I would love to see what would happen if Webb, Roczen, Tomac and Barcia go into the final round within 10 points of the leader, and barcia can play the "for the championship" card.

Do you think he will make clean passes with a handshake and back pat and the end of the race if he loses? I personally think it will be a sx demolition Derby for barcia 😅
2/22/2021 6:05pm
The guy was an outstanding 250 rider he never lacked the talent, he fell off a bit when he got some money then that Yammy held...
The guy was an outstanding 250 rider he never lacked the talent, he fell off a bit when he got some money then that Yammy held back his style, I'm not surprised in the slightest where he is right now as a long time fan of his, I believe he can still ride better than he is.
Don't forget that he was basically injured the entire time he was with JGR.
mx196
Fantasy
4082nd
2/22/2021 6:12pm
Barcia through 8 rounds: 2020: 1-2-9-5-6-5-4-4, 154 points 4th overall 2021: 1-9-4-13-2-19-4-3, 136 points 4th overall He's still behind where he was at this point last...
Barcia through 8 rounds:

He's still behind where he was at this point last season, but a hard-fought podium this week was great to see. Hopefully he can stay healthy and in contention for podiums.
True, if him and the friese incident didn’t happen he’d be ahead of last year though.
I think this year he’s winning more heats and up front more even when he has a bad night in the mains.
Goofy Foot
2/22/2021 6:15pm
Barcia through 8 rounds: 2020: 1-2-9-5-6-5-4-4, 154 points 4th overall 2021: 1-9-4-13-2-19-4-3, 136 points 4th overall He's still behind where he was at this point last...
Barcia through 8 rounds:

mx196 wrote:
True, if him and the friese incident didn’t happen he’d be ahead of last year though. I think this year he’s winning more heats and up...
True, if him and the friese incident didn’t happen he’d be ahead of last year though.
I think this year he’s winning more heats and up front more even when he has a bad night in the mains.
You are also forgetting about the broken shifter incident as well. He would be way ahead where he is now if not for Friese and broken shifter.

He's not a changed rider, he's just the same rider on a changed bike. Night and day difference in being able to throw that bike around.
2/22/2021 6:15pm Edited Date/Time 2/22/2021 6:16pm
Barcia through 8 rounds:

mx196 wrote:
True, if him and the friese incident didn’t happen he’d be ahead of last year though. I think this year he’s winning more heats and up...
Nope. Even if he hadn't hit Friese and maintained third at Indy 3, he'd be behind his point total to date from last year.
2/22/2021 6:17pm Edited Date/Time 2/22/2021 6:25pm
Barcia through 8 rounds:

mx196 wrote:
Goofy Foot wrote:
You are also forgetting about the broken shifter incident as well. He would be way ahead where he is now if not for Friese and broken...
You are also forgetting about the broken shifter incident as well. He would be way ahead where he is now if not for Friese and broken shifter.

He's not a changed rider, he's just the same rider on a changed bike. Night and day difference in being able to throw that bike around.
But you are giving him muligans for one year, but not another. He had the flu at A2 last year, and was landed on in a main at Arlington. Those type of things happen in racing. Every rider has unfortunate incidents every year (the better ones seem to have fewer)

And that is not to mention, both the Friese and shifter incident were direct results of him running into things, as has been kinda an issue throughout his career.
mx196
Fantasy
4082nd
2/22/2021 6:17pm
Barcia through 8 rounds:

mx196 wrote:
Goofy Foot wrote:
You are also forgetting about the broken shifter incident as well. He would be way ahead where he is now if not for Friese and broken...

Yup totally forgot about that one too.
Goofy Foot
2/22/2021 6:26pm
mx196 wrote:
Goofy Foot wrote:

But you are giving him muligans for one year, but not another. He had the flu at A2 last year, and was landed on in a...
But you are giving him muligans for one year, but not another. He had the flu at A2 last year, and was landed on in a main at Arlington. Those type of things happen in racing. Every rider has unfortunate incidents every year (the better ones seem to have fewer)

And that is not to mention, both the Friese and shifter incident were direct results of him running into things, as has been kinda an issue throughout his career.
It doesn't matter...anyone who can't see a huge difference in Barcia's riding between the Yamaha and GasGas is either blind, in denial, or a Yamaha fanboy not willing to accept the 450 is a weak supercross bike. The Yamaha 250 on the other hand is a very strong supercross bike.
2/22/2021 6:29pm Edited Date/Time 2/22/2021 6:33pm
Goofy Foot wrote:

But you are giving him muligans for one year, but not another. He had the flu at A2 last year, and was landed on in a...

Goofy Foot wrote:
It doesn't matter...anyone who can't see a huge difference in Barcia's riding between the Yamaha and GasGas is either blind, in denial, or a Yamaha fanboy...
It doesn't matter...anyone who can't see a huge difference in Barcia's riding between the Yamaha and GasGas is either blind, in denial, or a Yamaha fanboy not willing to accept the 450 is a weak supercross bike. The Yamaha 250 on the other hand is a very strong supercross bike.
I don't honestly care much about the factory Yamaha nor factory Gas Gas. They're motorcycles. One may be better than the other, I don't know.

I just looking at the notion of an improved Barcia, and hopefully he can put down some more solid results, but he isn't yet doing anything that he hasn't throughout spans of his career.
Spudnut
2/22/2021 6:36pm
He was more consistent on the Yamaha. The second half will tell the real story though. I do think he looks smoother fwiw
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
2/22/2021 6:50pm
Too soon to tell, too many factors involved. The problem could have been Factory Yamaha in the past with Star being the difference maker this year for the improvement on the YZ. There's no doubt the YZ effort is more successful this year versus last thus far. Plessinger is much better this year. Mookie is better too. Ferrandis is doing fine. Barcia is only one position higher than he finished last year, and as stated above he's behind where he was in the points this time last year. And making excuses for mishaps this year and not excuses for mishaps last year doesn't make for a good comparison. Need to let the whole thing play out. If anything, I'm inclined to believe it was Factory Yamaha as to the root cause, not the YZ450F. Sure there were some bad years for the YZ from 2010 - 2017, no doubt. But the 2018 and newer YZ450F bikes are fantastic.
kage173
2/22/2021 7:51pm
He is riding really well. He has that look and style he used to have. But he is not a changed rider. It's just a matter of time.
hamncheeze
2/22/2021 8:04pm
bigk218 wrote:
Once Ferrandis got his shifter straightened out no one could catch him last Saturday. Pulled on just in front of AC who was leading, then pulled away from him and Webb. Yeah the bike is an anchor for sure. Oh and by the way it was the dreaded hardpack where the Yamaha is supposedly even worse.

brocster
2/22/2021 8:38pm

Goofy Foot wrote:
It doesn't matter...anyone who can't see a huge difference in Barcia's riding between the Yamaha and GasGas is either blind, in denial, or a Yamaha fanboy...
I don't honestly care much about the factory Yamaha nor factory Gas Gas. They're motorcycles. One may be better than the other, I don't know. I...
I don't honestly care much about the factory Yamaha nor factory Gas Gas. They're motorcycles. One may be better than the other, I don't know.

I just looking at the notion of an improved Barcia, and hopefully he can put down some more solid results, but he isn't yet doing anything that he hasn't throughout spans of his career.
They are not just “motorcycles”

Talk to Mc Garth about that Factory KTM he was given

Also talk to anyone that threw a leg over that factory Cannondale.

There are differences and they do matter, that’s why you don’t see many of certain colors out on the dance floor
TogaSet
Fantasy
3894th
2/22/2021 8:52pm
GuyB wrote:
Using that logic, I'm trying to figure out how Malcolm, Ferrandis, and Plessinger are doing so well this season.
Between the 3 of them they have one podium ?
2/22/2021 9:13pm Edited Date/Time 2/22/2021 9:44pm
Goofy Foot wrote:
I don't honestly care much about the factory Yamaha nor factory Gas Gas. They're motorcycles. One may be better than the other, I don't know. I...

brocster wrote:
They are not just “motorcycles” Talk to Mc Garth about that Factory KTM he was given Also talk to anyone that threw a leg over that...
They are not just “motorcycles”

Talk to Mc Garth about that Factory KTM he was given

Also talk to anyone that threw a leg over that factory Cannondale.

There are differences and they do matter, that’s why you don’t see many of certain colors out on the dance floor
I didn't say "just motorcycles". I acknowledged one factory bike may be better.

I was just discussing JB51's performance so far as being well inside of the parameters of past seasons. But if he can maintain it and stay healthy, that will be somewhat new.

If McGrath had put down worse (but very similar) cumulative results through 8 rounds coming off of the KTM than he did on it, I wouldn't be inclined to use that as any evidence against (or for) the bike. I would say that is pretty inconclusive.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
2/22/2021 9:14pm
I don’t think he rides better, I think the softer chassis fits his style better.

Aluminum chassis, reverse cylinder and high revs were not a good recipe.
2/22/2021 9:29pm
The more guys mixing it up for wins the better! If frisée all the sudden Turned it on and was going for wins I’d love to see it too.

A lot of guys running up front consistently now. Crazy to think tomac sitting mid pack for a few minutes in the beginning of the race. Speaks volumes for how competitive everyone is.
2/22/2021 10:47pm
Points wise he may not be better but in terms of his riding I think he looks significantly better. He has his 2013/14 Honda swagger back and is a potential threat for every race win now. Not saying that the Yamaha's a bad bike by any means but riders are different and I think the Gas Gas is just a better fit for Justin.
str8line
2/22/2021 10:52pm
How many races into last season did he have his meltdown with Tomac? Let's see if he makes it past that.
Crush
2/23/2021 3:58am
I don't know if his peak speed is necessarily better – he had a few good races on the Yamaha, podiums and a couple wins etc...

BUT he's definitely more consistent, starts, laptimes, seems to be crashing less etc. Still does a lot of excess shit that costs him speed, watching him next to Ken or Cooper he is all over the shop, but the effect is less than on the blue machine for sure, much less erratic.

Post a reply to: Can we now consider Barcia a "changed rider"?

The Latest