Can we finally fix the first turn?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/25/2018 9:34 AM

These stupid tough blocks keep fucking up the starts. There is an extremely simple solution that has already been used; put a pile of dirt on the inside of a tight first turn instead of tough blocks just like they did in Daytona of this year a couple weeks ago. Feld/Dirtwerx please make this the norm.
Photo

|

3/25/2018 10:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/25/2018 10:20 AM

^ agreed. Said the same thing you just said when I saw it at Daytona

|

"Shifting gears and passing queers" GL

3/25/2018 1:01 PM

“Extremely simple solution” don’t hit the tough blocks!

|

3/25/2018 1:02 PM

That might be true but at least a wall of dirt isn't hitting a square Edge and going to go out in the someone else's pathway

|

3/25/2018 1:07 PM

first turn inside alligator pit

|

3/25/2018 1:12 PM

or like a big hip roller on the inside of the first turn that would be cool

|

3/25/2018 1:16 PM

I don’t like how the rider who hits the block doesn’t go down but the riders behind him usually take the fall.

|

"Shifting gears and passing queers" GL

3/25/2018 1:25 PM

As well as the earth mound , just angle the blocks to you cant hit the leading edge, If they are at a 15 degree angle the problem goes away,

|

3/25/2018 1:31 PM

Ebs wrote:

Win laughing

|

3/25/2018 1:58 PM

Ac hitting the tough block was strategy. Knock it in the way of everyone behind you to increase your chances of a better result. Its perfect!

|

3/25/2018 2:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/25/2018 2:04 PM

Use the safety nets like a trap, it would kinda be like fishing but youd catch an AC92 every main

|

3/25/2018 2:34 PM

bsharkey wrote:

That might be true but at least a wall of dirt isn't hitting a square Edge and going to go out in the someone else's pathway

This ^^^^^

|

3/25/2018 3:01 PM

Hard to sell signage on a dirt mound. But just like lappers, they are part of the race. Start in the middle if you don’t want one kicked out.....oh in the middle you have riders to worry about?

If you don’t want any worry’s......get the hole shot!

|

3/25/2018 3:11 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Hard to sell signage on a dirt mound. But just like lappers, they are part of the race. Start in the middle if you don’t want ...more

15 foot diameter round tarp/sign that gets staked into the mound. "The riders come around the Fox Racing first turn!"

|

3/25/2018 3:13 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Hard to sell signage on a dirt mound. But just like lappers, they are part of the race. Start in the middle if you don’t want ...more

early wrote:

15 foot diameter round tarp/sign that gets staked into the mound. "The riders come around the Fox Racing first turn!"

That could work

|

3/25/2018 4:36 PM

The riders will always push the limit. It's not as easy as saying "just don't hit the tough blocks". The dirt is a simple solution. There shouldn't even be a conversation.

|

3/25/2018 5:56 PM

In the 450 LCQ at Daytona Facciotti hit the dirt mound and ended up bouncing towards the outside, seems to me he could have hit multiple riders in the process and would have been as big a danger as tough blocks getting hit into the track. That being said a rider is probably more likely to see another rider coming into their line than a tough block.

|

3/25/2018 6:17 PM

Ebs wrote:

How great would this be lol!

|

Long live the King and the G.O.A.T.
The greatest there ever was and the greatest there ever will be.

2009 KTM 200xc
2013 Yahama TTR125

3/25/2018 6:21 PM

kb228 wrote:

Ac hitting the tough block was strategy. Knock it in the way of everyone behind you to increase your chances of a better ...more

You laught but my wife actually said he did that on purpose when we looked at the slow mo several times. I disagreed and explained to her snagging the tuff block in hopes of taking someone out behind you is not in your list of thoughts at that moment.

|

Long live the King and the G.O.A.T.
The greatest there ever was and the greatest there ever will be.

2009 KTM 200xc
2013 Yahama TTR125

3/25/2018 7:29 PM

I sooooooooo concur with Dr. Early.

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

3/26/2018 7:51 AM

You are 100% bias and continue to prove so. How do amateur races take place without your heavenly tuff blocks? Have you ever heard of preventative measures? Yes, only one bike landed in the stands, but how many have flown over berms with the possibility of ending up in the stands?That’s what the nets are for. I’ve been on your side of the coin before so I have experience to draw from. I’m betting you haven’t gone into many first corners with tuff blocks or dirt mounds. You’re speaking from a track crew perspective. Go ask the point leaders if tuff blocks are a non-issue. You defending everything in this thread and claiming “non-issue”, is you saying they don’t need to be discussed. Lastly, before you speak on my intelligence level, you should proof read your posts. They are littered with spelling and grammar mistakes.

|

3/26/2018 8:21 AM

Just go back to hay bales on the inside of the first turn

|

3/26/2018 8:25 AM

Put a Ski Jump 3/4 way down the start straight

|

3/26/2018 8:27 AM

Nets on the inside of the first corner.... problem solved lol

|

3/26/2018 8:32 AM

Remove holeshot devices, electronics, and metal grates. You won't have 22 guys entering the first corner at the exact same time.

|

3/26/2018 9:34 AM

What if there were a half dozen special tuff blocks that we're 12"-16" taller that we're hard mounted to a base (3'x6' plywood for example) that was buried below the track base dirt. These could be used from the start of, to midway thru the first turn. The base would be put down over them so they would look the same as all the other ones. Just thinking out loud.

|

3/26/2018 9:49 AM

put some razor wire in there, that'll show em

|

3/26/2018 10:41 AM

Please consider the following:

Did Osborne and Plessinger get injured? No.

If they would have been in front of AC would this be an issue? Most likely No (Probably because it would have only affected triple digit riders and brushed off as a lack of talent or what not.)

Did their forward momentum being stopped cause a catostophic incident? No

How many times has someone been seriously injured in the first turn because of a situation similar to this past weekend? (Don't confuse this question with how many people have been injured in a first turn incident.) I don' know this answer but as I recall this year...none. ( I have a bad memory so I could be wrong.)

If you put a giant pile of dirt at the first turn, is it safer? No...You only create a different set of safety problems. In fact, it might actually create more catastrophic incidents because if a rider gets squeezed and hits the dirt, his potential tragectory could send this racer into a concentrated pack of riders at a very precarious location in the braking zone. Imagine what that would look like...kinda like when a rider gets bounced a round, takes out the guy next to him, who in turn takes out everyone behind him.

Hey I got it...so you guys feel all warm and fuzzy, we should just eliminate the starting gate and line them up in qualifying order. No chance of an incident there right? HAHAHA

The thing is...there is no CORRECT answer.

|

3/26/2018 11:11 AM

Zaugg wrote:

Please consider the following:

Did Osborne and Plessinger get injured? No.

If they would have been in front of AC would ...more

Yes, there is no course border that is 100% guaranteed to prevent crashes in the first turn of the start of a race because of the nature of the start. Also, the conversation is not about safety, it's about loose tuff blocks that have been getting knocked into the track and prevent racers from racing each other in the most important part of the race.

This scenario is also bad for the look of the sport. If I was a big sponsor and my rider got screwed on the start because a tough block gets knocked into the racing lane I'm like WTF are we spending all this money on riders, team, bike, travel and no one can figure how to prevent this? It didn't happen once in the last 10 years, it's happened multiple times just this season.

|

3/26/2018 2:03 PM

early wrote:

Yes, there is no course border that is 100% guaranteed to prevent crashes in the first turn of the start of a race because of ...more

If the conversation is just about tuff blocks preventing racers from racing, then why isn't this an issue when it happens to triple digit guys? Simple..because it messes with your fantasy pick. haha

All kidding aside, if you have a pile of dirt in the corner...how good does that look for series sponsors or for the sport in general? Also, I believe it poses a much higher risk of catostrophic incidents which makes it a bad idea.

The sponsors may get upset because it affected their rider but if safety isn't the rational, by your arguement they shouldn't have features that only certain riders can jump or manuevers that only certain riders can perform because it's unfair to the rest of the field.

The start is equal for everyone, you can either try to fit your bike into a hole it doesn't fit or hit the brakes...and if the guy in front hits the tough block, affects your line, it's a racing incident just like if a guy hits another guy and that guy takes you or your racer out. No difference except the tuff block isn't gonna hurt as much as a bike when you hit it.

Finally, your statement about it not happening in the last 10 years. It has happened, multiple times since hay bails and tough blocks have been used. It's only an issue now because you guys are making it an issue.

Want to know how to not make it an issue? Get the holeshot.

|