Can the hipster moto scene help grow MOTO?

burnside
Edited Date/Time 2/25/2016 4:11pm
Its hard to miss, motorcycle culture is hot shit in popular culture right now and has been for a few years. With aspirational brands like Dues gaining near mainstream popularity, an influx of moto coffee shops opening around the world... You guys know the scene. The scene that devours Steve McQueen imagery, the scene that puts David Beckham on a "scrambler".

I often pondered if this kind of lifestyle scene could bleed into MOTO.

Like all these fancy coffee shops and cafes, in my mind, and in an ideal world, they should be the equivalent of a pub where dudes watch football. Those cafes should be filled on race night with a bunch of geeks watching the racing.

I've pondered it for a while and the Fast House thread reminded me as that kind of Dues aesthetic appears to be creeping into moto.

What you think?
You dudes met any 'cafe racers' turned moto geeks?
|
Jrewing
2/24/2016 3:31am
Haha. I can't tell if you're taking the piss or serious.
MR. X
2/24/2016 4:20am
Just what we need ,leather man purses,skin tight jeans and freshly manscaped and oiled beards. O ya and the super hip man bun.
Celine
2/24/2016 4:31am
I don't want "to grow moto." I don't want motocross to ever go main stream. Look at sillycross and the mutants it attracts in the stands.
Starcrossed
2/24/2016 4:38am
I saw a wheelie boy in actual riding gear a few days ago. Apparently the cops are just letting them do their thing on the major thoroughfares of the city. The level of impunity is at an all time high. Not sure what it means for moto.

The Shop

2/24/2016 4:46am
I don't know if this applies to other countries as well, but here in Germany the whole "Grenzgänger" scene seems to be growing rapidly on various social media platforms. Basically idiot kids buying 125cc enduros and riding the in the streets and doing some illegal trail riding while taking lots and lots of selfies wearing their helmets and mirror lenses. Teenagers apparently think they are the shit riding "motocross". While those idiots are really hurting the sport, I can't help but think that they might draw some kids into legit motocross riding as well.

God I hope they keep all that fancy hipster shit out of our sport!
hvaughn88
2/24/2016 5:55am
It might not help Moto, but I sure as hell hope it helps bring over some of the bitchin bikes that are available in Europe but not here. Europe is definitely in the lead when it comes to offering a wide variety of awesome bikes.
Spartacus
2/24/2016 6:08am
Skinny jeans and "color ways" coming to a track near you soon.
Motofinne
2/24/2016 6:12am Edited Date/Time 2/24/2016 6:12am
I don't know if this applies to other countries as well, but here in Germany the whole "Grenzgänger" scene seems to be growing rapidly on various...
I don't know if this applies to other countries as well, but here in Germany the whole "Grenzgänger" scene seems to be growing rapidly on various social media platforms. Basically idiot kids buying 125cc enduros and riding the in the streets and doing some illegal trail riding while taking lots and lots of selfies wearing their helmets and mirror lenses. Teenagers apparently think they are the shit riding "motocross". While those idiots are really hurting the sport, I can't help but think that they might draw some kids into legit motocross riding as well.

God I hope they keep all that fancy hipster shit out of our sport!
That is old news in Finland and Sweden. Kids here start with 50cc supermoto mopeds at the age of 15 and move up to 125cc KTMs, TMs, and Husqvarnas at the age of 16.

They are everywhere but it's a good thing. Some of them will get into MX or enduro.
MR. X
2/24/2016 6:35am
I can't wait for skinny jeans to go away . It's almost impossible to find a pair of jeans that you don't have to grab your dick and balls in your fist and stuff everything in.
KMC440
2/24/2016 6:46am
Don't use dick, balls, fist and stuff in the same sentence ever again.
Mini Elsinore
2/24/2016 7:09am
MR. X wrote:
I can't wait for skinny jeans to go away . It's almost impossible to find a pair of jeans that you don't have to grab your...
I can't wait for skinny jeans to go away . It's almost impossible to find a pair of jeans that you don't have to grab your dick and balls in your fist and stuff everything in.
Duluth Firehose jeans. Done!
hvaughn88
2/24/2016 7:10am
MR. X wrote:
I can't wait for skinny jeans to go away . It's almost impossible to find a pair of jeans that you don't have to grab your...
Duluth Firehose jeans. Done!
Haven't tried the Duluths, but I love my Mountain Khaki's
davistld01
2/24/2016 7:12am
I saw a wheelie boy in actual riding gear a few days ago. Apparently the cops are just letting them do their thing on the major...
I saw a wheelie boy in actual riding gear a few days ago. Apparently the cops are just letting them do their thing on the major thoroughfares of the city. The level of impunity is at an all time high. Not sure what it means for moto.
I know what it means for our society.
2/24/2016 7:19am
Motofinne wrote:
That is old news in Finland and Sweden. Kids here start with 50cc supermoto mopeds at the age of 15 and move up to 125cc KTMs...
That is old news in Finland and Sweden. Kids here start with 50cc supermoto mopeds at the age of 15 and move up to 125cc KTMs, TMs, and Husqvarnas at the age of 16.

They are everywhere but it's a good thing. Some of them will get into MX or enduro.
Here they are mainly hurting both enduro and motocross with their self promoting bs. Riding on tracks outside of opening hours, riding in areas that could potentially have been used for enduro races if it hadn't been for pissed of owners or neighbors.
2/24/2016 7:21am
steed 2.0 wrote:
[url=https://shop.yellowclaw.com/collections/blood-for-mercy/products/bfm-racer-shirt-4 ]Yellow Claw - Blood for Mercy[/url] [img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1062/4244/products/bfm-black-racershirt-front_grande.jpg[/img] :) ;)
">Yellow Claw - Blood for Mercy

SmileWink
Motofinne
2/24/2016 7:23am
Motofinne wrote:
That is old news in Finland and Sweden. Kids here start with 50cc supermoto mopeds at the age of 15 and move up to 125cc KTMs...

Here they are mainly hurting both enduro and motocross with their self promoting bs. Riding on tracks outside of opening hours, riding in areas that could...
Here they are mainly hurting both enduro and motocross with their self promoting bs. Riding on tracks outside of opening hours, riding in areas that could potentially have been used for enduro races if it hadn't been for pissed of owners or neighbors.
Oh that is not good at all. Especially if they ride on tracks outside of opening hours.
FWYT
2/24/2016 7:33am Edited Date/Time 2/24/2016 7:44am
burnside wrote:
Its hard to miss, motorcycle culture is hot shit in popular culture right now and has been for a few years. With aspirational brands like Dues...
Its hard to miss, motorcycle culture is hot shit in popular culture right now and has been for a few years. With aspirational brands like Dues gaining near mainstream popularity, an influx of moto coffee shops opening around the world... You guys know the scene. The scene that devours Steve McQueen imagery, the scene that puts David Beckham on a "scrambler".

I often pondered if this kind of lifestyle scene could bleed into MOTO.

Like all these fancy coffee shops and cafes, in my mind, and in an ideal world, they should be the equivalent of a pub where dudes watch football. Those cafes should be filled on race night with a bunch of geeks watching the racing.

I've pondered it for a while and the Fast House thread reminded me as that kind of Dues aesthetic appears to be creeping into moto.

What you think?
You dudes met any 'cafe racers' turned moto geeks?
Dues? You mean Deus Ex Machina?

Could branding/clothing/etc grow moto . . . .
Sure it could. For example in surfing, there is NO money (relatively) in making boards. It's all in the soft goods side.
Same with skateboarding. Then that money gets plowed back into the sport and helps pay for things. How exactly the moto aesthetic gets defined is the scary part. hahaha The "hipster" look is sooooooooo played out, though.

I have a friend that saw a pair of motocross pants and she flipped. Now she scours C/L looking for used pair to
wear around as part of an outfit for a night out. When I finally got her to go into a shop, Del Amo, she freaked. She thought she had gone to heaven. hahahah

All the moto brands have a soft goods program which tends to just be basics with logos. The actual
styling leaves a lot to be desired. The thing is, and where the disconnect is for us purists, is that we
are gearheads first and that crap matters very little to us. We are jeans and t-shirt guys wrenching in the
garage. I mean, you see lifestyle shots of the other hip sports with the participants hanging out between sessions
and there is a visual aesthetic there. Shots of moto guys between sessions and it's sitting
on the back of the truck in gear getting a drink of water, or at the gym or wrenching on bikes in jeans and t-shirts.
It *could maybe* be romanticized but it would take some effort and time to build.
Micahdogg
2/24/2016 7:38am
Back in the day, you couldn't be a hipster and into moto. You had to know how to ride or else you wouldn't get out of first gear. Now there are four strokes so at least hipsters could row through some gears before finding a triple-o-death.
BAMX
2/24/2016 7:38am
Hipsters and their holier than thou attitude are hilarious. They don't even realize that the skinny jeans, beards and man buns are this generations jorts, mullets and tails.
cslacker
2/24/2016 7:41am
Look, I'm sure this is going to be an extremely unpopular opinion here but I'm going to try anyways...

Does anyone remember the skateboard culture of the 80's? There were signs everywhere forbidding skateboarding in parking lots, parks, schools etc... The skateboarding counterculture did it anyways. And look what it got them... Skateboarding's Not A Crime!!! Now we have skateparks everywhere and the "sport" of skateboarding grew rapidly. We are not going to combat the environazis by playing by their rules.

I am not advocating for theft or anything of that nature so don't try to turn this into something it's not... But with tracks and trails being shut down in record numbers at a certain point we will be left with no option but to just do it anyways if we want to ride. I just don't see how playing by the rules of those that would prefer if we just went away all together is going to get us anywhere.

Again, since I'm sure it will come up, I am not advocating for theft or blocking off freeways with a group of wheelieboyz... but doing a little dirty riding occasionally is as part of the "core" of this sport as gaudy neon gear...
Colo moto
2/24/2016 7:45am
Dear god I hope not. The last thing I need when I unload my bike is to get a free history lesson on my Husky from some bearded teenage girl.

How many hipsters does it take to screw in a light bulb?..... Pffffffffttttt you didn't know.

How many hipsters does it take to screw in a light bulb?...... Probably some obscure number you've never even heard of.
mx_563
2/24/2016 7:47am
Celine wrote:
I don't want "to grow moto." I don't want motocross to ever go main stream. Look at sillycross and the mutants it attracts in the stands.
I tend to agree with this sentiment. The fact that it isn't mainstream is part of the attraction.
FWYT
2/24/2016 7:48am
cslacker wrote:
Look, I'm sure this is going to be an extremely unpopular opinion here but I'm going to try anyways... Does anyone remember the skateboard culture of...
Look, I'm sure this is going to be an extremely unpopular opinion here but I'm going to try anyways...

Does anyone remember the skateboard culture of the 80's? There were signs everywhere forbidding skateboarding in parking lots, parks, schools etc... The skateboarding counterculture did it anyways. And look what it got them... Skateboarding's Not A Crime!!! Now we have skateparks everywhere and the "sport" of skateboarding grew rapidly. We are not going to combat the environazis by playing by their rules.

I am not advocating for theft or anything of that nature so don't try to turn this into something it's not... But with tracks and trails being shut down in record numbers at a certain point we will be left with no option but to just do it anyways if we want to ride. I just don't see how playing by the rules of those that would prefer if we just went away all together is going to get us anywhere.

Again, since I'm sure it will come up, I am not advocating for theft or blocking off freeways with a group of wheelieboyz... but doing a little dirty riding occasionally is as part of the "core" of this sport as gaudy neon gear...
Yeah, but those parks came about by going through the bureaucratic channels. You can thank Tony Hawk, Larry Balma and the other industry titans for helping with that and it took 20 years. Only a few notable ones like Burnside and Washington street were skater-built. And those "no skateboarding" signs are still up in the malls.
burnside
2/24/2016 7:49am
FWYT wrote:
Dues? You mean Deus Ex Machina? Could branding/clothing/etc grow moto . . . . Sure it could. For example in surfing, there is NO money (relatively)...
Dues? You mean Deus Ex Machina?

Could branding/clothing/etc grow moto . . . .
Sure it could. For example in surfing, there is NO money (relatively) in making boards. It's all in the soft goods side.
Same with skateboarding. Then that money gets plowed back into the sport and helps pay for things. How exactly the moto aesthetic gets defined is the scary part. hahaha The "hipster" look is sooooooooo played out, though.

I have a friend that saw a pair of motocross pants and she flipped. Now she scours C/L looking for used pair to
wear around as part of an outfit for a night out. When I finally got her to go into a shop, Del Amo, she freaked. She thought she had gone to heaven. hahahah

All the moto brands have a soft goods program which tends to just be basics with logos. The actual
styling leaves a lot to be desired. The thing is, and where the disconnect is for us purists, is that we
are gearheads first and that crap matters very little to us. We are jeans and t-shirt guys wrenching in the
garage. I mean, you see lifestyle shots of the other hip sports with the participants hanging out between sessions
and there is a visual aesthetic there. Shots of moto guys between sessions and it's sitting
on the back of the truck in gear getting a drink of water, or at the gym or wrenching on bikes in jeans and t-shirts.
It *could maybe* be romanticized but it would take some effort and time to build.
Yeah I did mean Dues Ex Machina.. They maybe not be "hardcore" by a racer or key board warrior standard, but I find it interesting the gap between this sort of fun stuff, and moto, moto. I wouldn't be surprised if a few moto brands are taking notes from Dues.

Micahdogg
2/24/2016 7:52am Edited Date/Time 2/24/2016 7:54am
cslacker wrote:
Look, I'm sure this is going to be an extremely unpopular opinion here but I'm going to try anyways... Does anyone remember the skateboard culture of...

If you are talking about trespassing, it actually is a crime. Since skateboarders continued to trespass, it made their message conflicted. I don't attribute that resistance to authority as the reason for its resurgence (I attribute that to Tony Hawk and THPS1 available for Dreamcast!). And I also don't think that we need to distribute fliers through the trailer parks to let em know its ok to trespass with their 94 RM125's. They got that memo a long time ago.
Spartacus
2/24/2016 7:55am
MR. X wrote:
They're called Wrangler 13MZW.
FWYT
2/24/2016 7:55am Edited Date/Time 2/24/2016 8:00am
So the thing you see in that Deus promo piece ^^^^ is that they make it sound fun, relaxing, good times and ACCESSIBLE. Not super intimidating. Like something you could go try and just enjoy with your girlfriend. That it in itself is not such a bad thing.

To clarify- I am NOT a fan of the hipster look or the wheelieboys idiots.
cslacker
2/24/2016 8:03am
FWYT wrote:
Yeah, but those parks came about by going through the bureaucratic channels. You can thank Tony Hawk, Larry Balma and the other industry titans for helping...
Yeah, but those parks came about by going through the bureaucratic channels. You can thank Tony Hawk, Larry Balma and the other industry titans for helping with that and it took 20 years. Only a few notable ones like Burnside and Washington street were skater-built. And those "no skateboarding" signs are still up in the malls.
Those bureaucratic channels were only opened up because they had the leverage to say "look, they are going to do it anyways, lets give them a controlled environment for them to do it in."

And while those "no skateboarding" signs are still up at the malls, there are places for kids to go nowadays, which is all anyone really wanted in the first place.

According to news articles, there have already been talks on the east coast about opening something similar to skate parks for these wheelie guys. Will it happen? Maybe in 20 years... But the conversation wouldn't be happening if feathers weren't being ruffled.

Post a reply to: Can the hipster moto scene help grow MOTO?

The Latest