Can motocross ( As it was intended ) be safe..?

Clutchy
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 6:58am
IMO.....I say its about as safe as its going to get. As it is.

The inherent dangers that exsist in motocross by the very nature and design of what motocross is and was intended to be will always make it a very dangerous sport to participate in. Extreme inherent danger will always exsist in motocross as it was intended. Taking a motorcycle across rough terrain as fast as you can, thats motocross. And as long as there's guys like Hannah, Magoo, RC and James... you get the point.

Supercross is a different story. By its nature and design it can be made much safer. Its a more controlled enviroment.

Football has been made safer with rules. Nascar has been made safer with safe walls and car design. Nascar deaths are probably a thing of the past. Unless you break a rule in football, paralysis is probably a thing of the past.

Unless you change the very nature of motocross the extreme inherent dangers will exsist.

So lets not be surprised when we see change at the highest level of the sport. The very thing that excites the hell out of us about a place like Glen Helen is the very same thing that could get a guy killed. Is it time for change...?

The clock moves foward. Its not that im looking foward to the change but I understand it........ Embrace it or not Pala's, Lakewood's are the future of motocross.

Thats not to mention the spectating side of the change.
|
oshow
5/8/2010 10:56am
But Motocross doesn't need to be made into supercross outdoors.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
5/8/2010 11:14am
I dont think the changes will have anything to do with safety they will be about money.
Clutchy
5/8/2010 11:36am Edited Date/Time 5/8/2010 11:38am
It will become about safety also.....................This was just a thought. Although could of just been gas..?
Mr. Info
5/8/2010 11:41am
Clutchy when you are sitting on the object you are riding or racing and not enclosed like a car the risk is always going to be there. In fact the risk of a career ending injury is greater in SX than MX because of the timing involved in making the jumps. SX is about being in the air most of the time. If you are going to ride a motorcycle, street or dirt or a quad and are exposed because you are on the outside of the object you are riding you will be injured sooner or later, be it minor or major but it will happen. The safest track in the world will have injuries. I am over 50 and like tracks with little or no jumps and the younger kids like jumps and some tracks have both but not everyone will be happy. An unsafe track to me is a dream to a young kid so how do we really judge whats safe. Yeah I wish every track had flaggers for practice days but they don't. And for that reason I don't go to them. And I wish they would split them up by skill but even then I see kids who ride novice that scare me and I am a 50 int. Maybe tracks need different days for different skill level or split the day in half. We could whatever for ever. The safest way to not get injuried is not to ride a bike and I am not ready for that yet are you.

The Shop

Clutchy
5/8/2010 12:53pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:41pm
Mr. Info wrote:
Clutchy when you are sitting on the object you are riding or racing and not enclosed like a car the risk is always going to be...
Clutchy when you are sitting on the object you are riding or racing and not enclosed like a car the risk is always going to be there. In fact the risk of a career ending injury is greater in SX than MX because of the timing involved in making the jumps. SX is about being in the air most of the time. If you are going to ride a motorcycle, street or dirt or a quad and are exposed because you are on the outside of the object you are riding you will be injured sooner or later, be it minor or major but it will happen. The safest track in the world will have injuries. I am over 50 and like tracks with little or no jumps and the younger kids like jumps and some tracks have both but not everyone will be happy. An unsafe track to me is a dream to a young kid so how do we really judge whats safe. Yeah I wish every track had flaggers for practice days but they don't. And for that reason I don't go to them. And I wish they would split them up by skill but even then I see kids who ride novice that scare me and I am a 50 int. Maybe tracks need different days for different skill level or split the day in half. We could whatever for ever. The safest way to not get injuried is not to ride a bike and I am not ready for that yet are you.
Actually I don't ride anymore and wont race again for the very reason of getting injured. I'm good with my years of racing and riding.

The risk reward odds no longer favor riding for me. I know my self and would still want to push, get hole shots and win races. Thats what it was always about for me..... Pushing my limits.
Are you saying they dont jump on outdoor tracks..? Outdoors is way more dangerous imo.
Clutchy
5/8/2010 1:24pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:41pm
Rupert X wrote:
Yes, I believe MX can be made safer. Please read the entire 5 year plan, but, as SAFETY is foremost, you'll find it up-front in the...

Yes, I believe MX can be made safer.

Please read the entire 5 year plan, but, as SAFETY is foremost, you'll find it up-front in

the FYP.

http://www.therupertxshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/American-Profe…

Rup... I read that when you first put it out and it has many great idea's.

I was just saying that the very nature of this sport makes it so inherently dangerous, not really anything else. Scrambling as fast as you can over rough terrain on two wheels.

So that maybe the natural progression of this sport needs to be change from what we all know it to be whether we like it or not.
Rupert X
5/8/2010 1:50pm

If there are numerous little things that we can do - to reduce the pain and heartbreak

one percent, then we should make every effort to do them.

I feel that if we take all "reasonable" steps necessary, we can do far better than

one percent.

Weighing the whole risk vs. cost thing, is way out of my league and best left to doctors

and lawyers, but a common sense approach and the willingness to ponder and discuss

- is paramount to the healthy future of our filthy, dangerous sport.
Clutchy
5/8/2010 1:53pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:41pm
Rupert X wrote:
If there are numerous little things that we can do - to reduce the pain and heartbreak one percent, then we should make every effort to...

If there are numerous little things that we can do - to reduce the pain and heartbreak

one percent, then we should make every effort to do them.

I feel that if we take all "reasonable" steps necessary, we can do far better than

one percent.

Weighing the whole risk vs. cost thing, is way out of my league and best left to doctors

and lawyers, but a common sense approach and the willingness to ponder and discuss

- is paramount to the healthy future of our filthy, dangerous sport.
X2....

Say filthy and dirty again...mmmmmmmmmmmmm
olds cool
5/8/2010 6:42pm
Clutchy wrote:
IMO.....I say its about as safe as its going to get. As it is. The inherent dangers that exsist in motocross by the very nature and...
IMO.....I say its about as safe as its going to get. As it is.

The inherent dangers that exsist in motocross by the very nature and design of what motocross is and was intended to be will always make it a very dangerous sport to participate in. Extreme inherent danger will always exsist in motocross as it was intended. Taking a motorcycle across rough terrain as fast as you can, thats motocross. And as long as there's guys like Hannah, Magoo, RC and James... you get the point.

Supercross is a different story. By its nature and design it can be made much safer. Its a more controlled enviroment.

Football has been made safer with rules. Nascar has been made safer with safe walls and car design. Nascar deaths are probably a thing of the past. Unless you break a rule in football, paralysis is probably a thing of the past.

Unless you change the very nature of motocross the extreme inherent dangers will exsist.

So lets not be surprised when we see change at the highest level of the sport. The very thing that excites the hell out of us about a place like Glen Helen is the very same thing that could get a guy killed. Is it time for change...?

The clock moves foward. Its not that im looking foward to the change but I understand it........ Embrace it or not Pala's, Lakewood's are the future of motocross.

Thats not to mention the spectating side of the change.
You can think and say what you want about NASCAR but don't EVER believe that they are now complacent in regards to deaths in their sport being "a thing of the past." Dude, those guys are reaching speeds upwards of 210 heading off into the turns at some tracks, in 3400 lb sleds. NASCAR may do a lot of stupid stuff, but they do take safety seriously and are always looking for ways to improve, just as the powers that be in MX/SX SHOULD be doing.

Post a reply to: Can motocross ( As it was intended ) be safe..?

The Latest