Can WorldSX damage AMA/Feld Supercross?

arebnac
I mean... America's SX is the biggest thing out there but I dont expect the top european guys to race there in every race. Manufacturers will probably bring some of the US riders for the teams... And these brands are probably very excited to race in places where its going to be great for their marketing. Especially in south-east asia, where bike-selling numbers are huge.
I just dont imagine how this WorldSX will impact the US series. American riders are already racing sx and mx. Cant they handle more 10 to 15 races/year? Will the europeans race it? Maybe tons of Asian Riders?
(Im assuming its a 10 to 15 race series with rounds in Australia, Thai, Indonesia, Malaysia, Europe, South Africa, South America....)
|
1/24/2022 5:15pm
Not unless they spend big money and pay teams to compete and offer bigger prize money to top level racers. It will be a second tier championship. Too much heritage and culture to chnage the fact that AMA SX is the premier racing.

The Shop

KONG
1/24/2022 5:25pm
I'm sure a lot of US racers can't wait to fly to Australia and enjoy the same accomodations as Djokovic.
Tongue
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
1/24/2022 5:42pm
No. They don't plan on running their series at the same time as Feld.

Could benefit the SX only riders if they can get rides over there. Make money in 2 series as oppose to 1 series.
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2591st
1/24/2022 5:47pm
I like the idea, gives teams or riders who want SX only contracts to get more seat time and not lose the edge of not racing.
means more factory teams, more racing to watch and more riders getting pay checks,

I cant see it being a bad thing.

doubt it would happen, But would be good to see the best SX riders in the world eventually get the opportunity to race more around the world, not just in the US
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
1/24/2022 6:45pm
lostboy819 wrote:
If anything it could hurt the Nationals.
New series plans to run after the nationals.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
1/24/2022 6:48pm
Yep, sit out the nationals and hit world SX.
zehn
1/24/2022 6:52pm
lostboy819 wrote:
If you're a top 10 or 15 guys in SX and Nationals? No chance IMO

The money that the overseas supercross races pay to guys like Mookie etc. to be there is big but those are one-off races. American teams generally want their riders (both American and not) to race in America for the American audience.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
1/24/2022 7:08pm
Not unless they spend big money and pay teams to compete and offer bigger prize money to top level racers. It will be a second tier...
Not unless they spend big money and pay teams to compete and offer bigger prize money to top level racers. It will be a second tier championship. Too much heritage and culture to chnage the fact that AMA SX is the premier racing.
Most the major teams are funded by the marketing budgets of the USA distributors, they wouldn’t have deep enough pockets to get these teams
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
1/24/2022 7:09pm
KONG wrote:
I'm sure a lot of US racers can't wait to fly to Australia and enjoy the same accomodations as Djokovic.
Tongue
I imagine some other countries will be the same as well. In the post covid world this series has a heap more logistics to sort ,

kb228
1/24/2022 7:18pm
IMO world sx looks like a lame attempt to compete with the real deal… its like making another NFL….
DonM
1/24/2022 7:29pm
No more than the current off season races do….so no it will only be the off season races as part of a championship…
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
1/24/2022 7:44pm Edited Date/Time 1/24/2022 7:46pm
kb228 wrote:
IMO world sx looks like a lame attempt to compete with the real deal… its like making another NFL….
Lots of mid pack SX guys could go and make a run for it if the payout is there. Japan was paying mid pack American riders to do the Japanese national championships and they were winning every year so they made a rule only Japanese riders could win the championship, it was easy picking while it lasted. With a world SX the MXGP guys would pick it up quick so the US riders will need to jump on it right away.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
1/24/2022 7:48pm
lostboy819 wrote:
It's going to be difficult for riders to do that when they're contracted to race AMA SX and MX. IMO, I don't see the US factory teams allowing their riders to head overseas.

I can see the new series attracting guys like Brayton, Musquin, Bowers, Wilson, Chisholm, Oldenburg, Peters, Osby, Friese, Karnow, Owen, Blose, Josh Hill, Enticknap, A. Ray, Clark, Marquier, Hicks, Harrison, Thompson, Hsu, Locurcio, Lopes, Do, Soubeyras, Ramette, Fonvieille, Roussaly, Aubin, Izoird, LeFrancois, Pelligrini, Clout, Reardon, Metcalfe, Bayliss, Brunell, Clayton, Woodcock, and more.

It's obviously not going to be the premier SX series in the world, but it doesn't mean it can't have great racing without the big names of the sport. Most of the time the LCQ's are proof of that.

The SX series in Australia seems to be working out just fine. I see this as an expansion on that.
Grouper
1/24/2022 7:52pm
kb228 wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
Lots of mid pack SX guys could go and make a run for it if the payout is there. Japan was paying mid pack American riders...
Lots of mid pack SX guys could go and make a run for it if the payout is there. Japan was paying mid pack American riders to do the Japanese national championships and they were winning every year so they made a rule only Japanese riders could win the championship, it was easy picking while it lasted. With a world SX the MXGP guys would pick it up quick so the US riders will need to jump on it right away.
Interesting. Imagine all of the outrage if America did something like that..
loftyair
1/24/2022 8:06pm
If the Emirates want it, I bet they get it! $$$
8tensolutions
1/24/2022 10:16pm
It's all about the money. Manufacturers likely wont be a part of it other than potentially supporting satellite teams just like they do here. Factory Honda isn't jumping into another series......UNLESS the other series can prove a massive benefit from an exposure and relevance perspective. Personally, I think it's going to be a much more organized off season instead of the one off races we currently have like Bercy etc....and thats awesome.
CPR
1/24/2022 11:24pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
It's going to be difficult for riders to do that when they're contracted to race AMA SX and MX. IMO, I don't see the US factory...
It's going to be difficult for riders to do that when they're contracted to race AMA SX and MX. IMO, I don't see the US factory teams allowing their riders to head overseas.

I can see the new series attracting guys like Brayton, Musquin, Bowers, Wilson, Chisholm, Oldenburg, Peters, Osby, Friese, Karnow, Owen, Blose, Josh Hill, Enticknap, A. Ray, Clark, Marquier, Hicks, Harrison, Thompson, Hsu, Locurcio, Lopes, Do, Soubeyras, Ramette, Fonvieille, Roussaly, Aubin, Izoird, LeFrancois, Pelligrini, Clout, Reardon, Metcalfe, Bayliss, Brunell, Clayton, Woodcock, and more.

It's obviously not going to be the premier SX series in the world, but it doesn't mean it can't have great racing without the big names of the sport. Most of the time the LCQ's are proof of that.

The SX series in Australia seems to be working out just fine. I see this as an expansion on that.
This is how I see it starting, though I wouldn’t be surprised if they go after a top tier ama rider or two to kick things off, even if it’s not for the whole series.
Motofinne
1/24/2022 11:51pm
No i don't think so. But it has the potential to hurt US Nationals because i think SX only deals could become much more tempting for certain riders.

I can see a guy like Roczen doing only AMA SX and then this short World SX series in the future. Same with Marvin that is already on a SX only deal.

TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
1/24/2022 11:52pm
If they’re looking at doing stadiums in all of these locations, then soccer stadiums will likely host the show. Those stadiums in Europe are very busy except for the off season in June and July, with May and August having some variability based on the league. The season would likely coincide with that off season.

On the topic of soccer stadiums, the floors are massive. They typically run about 110-120 yards long and 70 yards wide. There’s no international standard. A lot of the stadiums in Italy were built with an olympic running track around the perimeter, too. You would have plenty of room to build tracks longer than Vegas or Glendale if you could source enough dirt to cover the entire floor. It would be pretty damn cool.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
1/25/2022 12:14am
If they’re looking at doing stadiums in all of these locations, then soccer stadiums will likely host the show. Those stadiums in Europe are very busy...
If they’re looking at doing stadiums in all of these locations, then soccer stadiums will likely host the show. Those stadiums in Europe are very busy except for the off season in June and July, with May and August having some variability based on the league. The season would likely coincide with that off season.

On the topic of soccer stadiums, the floors are massive. They typically run about 110-120 yards long and 70 yards wide. There’s no international standard. A lot of the stadiums in Italy were built with an olympic running track around the perimeter, too. You would have plenty of room to build tracks longer than Vegas or Glendale if you could source enough dirt to cover the entire floor. It would be pretty damn cool.
Did the new Paris stadium only use half a the floor area ?
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
1/25/2022 12:23am
If they’re looking at doing stadiums in all of these locations, then soccer stadiums will likely host the show. Those stadiums in Europe are very busy...

scott_nz wrote:
Did the new Paris stadium only use half a the floor area ?
I think Paris/Bercy and the other European SX races have always been on a smaller track. I’m making the assumption that if the FIM puts their weight behind this project then the tracks will be properly sized because they can make a larger investment and spread it out over the multiple rounds compared to the smaller organizers that put together the annual one-off races. Maybe it’s wishful thinking, but a supercross that uses the total available floor space at a stadium like Stadio Olimpico in Rome or Parc Des Princes in Paris would be bonkers.
JustMX
1/25/2022 2:48am
I keep seeing the size of the motorcycle populace mentioned with anticipation in these emerging markets, but it sure seems like a stretch to think that in those markets a brand winning a supercross event or title is going to result in a sales boost.

I mean if you are looking for a cheap, reliable commuter bike are you going to base your decision on which brand won a race in your country?

I just doubt that the old "win on sunday, sell on monday" is going to play in those markets just as it seems to have disappeared from america.
Spergen
1/25/2022 3:11am
Can it damage AMA supercross? Yes sure, if they fill the big stadiums around the world, if they pay out to the teams like in F1, it could be a springboard to growing the sport.

Will it though........ probably not
ARM670
1/25/2022 3:25am
Never trust the FIM.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
1/25/2022 4:00am
JustMX wrote:
I keep seeing the size of the motorcycle populace mentioned with anticipation in these emerging markets, but it sure seems like a stretch to think that...
I keep seeing the size of the motorcycle populace mentioned with anticipation in these emerging markets, but it sure seems like a stretch to think that in those markets a brand winning a supercross event or title is going to result in a sales boost.

I mean if you are looking for a cheap, reliable commuter bike are you going to base your decision on which brand won a race in your country?

I just doubt that the old "win on sunday, sell on monday" is going to play in those markets just as it seems to have disappeared from america.
Have you seen some of the places MXGP goes to?

The same.would apply to the new SX series. Country pays the promoter a fee to get a race, series goes to said country.

Post a reply to: Can WorldSX damage AMA/Feld Supercross?

The Latest