Can Reed still be competitive in supercross?

2/24/2019 8:13am
He's been a lapper for years. Not sure why everyone suddenly thinks he's going to be great again. He's an 8th-15th place guy like 2017 at...
He's been a lapper for years. Not sure why everyone suddenly thinks he's going to be great again. He's an 8th-15th place guy like 2017 at best. The field is even better now. He will not see a podium.
Ahem... clueless.
brocster
2/24/2019 8:22am
That over the course in a series he’s not top 5. Which is true at this point. Amazing finish, but don’t caricature the main point. Rick...
That over the course in a series he’s not top 5. Which is true at this point. Amazing finish, but don’t caricature the main point. Rick Ryan won Daytona in 87, but it didn’t mean he was a contender for the title. Pointing out facts is not being a hater; if Reed continued to top three I’d be happy for him, but we all know it’s probably not going to happen.
mxgoon wrote:
Keep moving the goal posts pal

You only making yourself look stupid.
I’m not moving any goal posts since it’s what I’ve said all along. At the start of the season, I said Reed needs to aim for...
I’m not moving any goal posts since it’s what I’ve said all along. At the start of the season, I said Reed needs to aim for top five because top three isn’t likely to happen. I also did not think Reed would be top ten overall at the end of the season, which remains to be seen if it will happen. But I’ve always maintained overall results as I’m aware any rider can have a good night. Of course some of you are going to take that as “hate” when it’s not, but that’s not my concern since the results at the end of the season will do the talking just like they have in previous seasons.

I did not think Reed would podium any race and I was wrong about that. He podiumed with, 3-5-7 results. Credit where credit is due, congratulations to Reed.

Podium is a podium. Triple crown or not, last night he finishes 3rd

Do I think he is a title contender these days, No, do I think he can podium again, yes.

Does he deserve the ride, yes. Does he deserve to be out there, yes.

Am I a fan, yes, Am I a nut hugger, no. i am a realist!

plowboy
2/24/2019 8:48am
mxgoon wrote:

I’m not moving any goal posts since it’s what I’ve said all along. At the start of the season, I said Reed needs to aim for...
I’m not moving any goal posts since it’s what I’ve said all along. At the start of the season, I said Reed needs to aim for top five because top three isn’t likely to happen. I also did not think Reed would be top ten overall at the end of the season, which remains to be seen if it will happen. But I’ve always maintained overall results as I’m aware any rider can have a good night. Of course some of you are going to take that as “hate” when it’s not, but that’s not my concern since the results at the end of the season will do the talking just like they have in previous seasons.

I did not think Reed would podium any race and I was wrong about that. He podiumed with, 3-5-7 results. Credit where credit is due, congratulations to Reed.

brocster wrote:
Podium is a podium. Triple crown or not, last night he finishes 3rd Do I think he is a title contender these days, No, do I...
Podium is a podium. Triple crown or not, last night he finishes 3rd

Do I think he is a title contender these days, No, do I think he can podium again, yes.

Does he deserve the ride, yes. Does he deserve to be out there, yes.

Am I a fan, yes, Am I a nut hugger, no. i am a realist!

But...but...is he competitive?
greenmx5
2/24/2019 9:05am
It's been over a decade of people betting against the guy. Some people just won't ever learn I guess.

The Shop

2/24/2019 9:22am
greenmx5 wrote:
It's been over a decade of people betting against the guy. Some people just won't ever learn I guess.
Learn what exactly? I said at the start of the season that he will not be a top three guy and that his aim should be top five. So far, he’s not shown week in and week out that he’s a top five rider in the current field, and getting one podium doesn’t shift the overall results. I was wrong in that I didn’t think he’d be top ten (I figured just outside top ten and he’s just inside top ten), but then again Anderson is out, and I don’t think any reasonable person thinks Reed would be beating Anderson in points if he were racing. Nothing about what I’m saying is hating on Reed, and neither is it controversial. He’s currently eighth overall and I think a lot of people (who some of you call haters) said he’d be about a 7th to 12th place rider so that average is a pretty accurate statement.

Maybe some of the more provocative posters have egg on their face, but most of us don’t because he’s sitting just about where most thought he would. I think some of you are taking things too personally when it’s really just a case of being realistic about his results.
Jordan421
Fantasy
2594th
2/24/2019 9:34am
Is Chad the oldest guy to podium? Honest question
toroP
2/24/2019 10:26am
That over the course in a series he’s not top 5. Which is true at this point. Amazing finish, but don’t caricature the main point. Rick...
That over the course in a series he’s not top 5. Which is true at this point. Amazing finish, but don’t caricature the main point. Rick Ryan won Daytona in 87, but it didn’t mean he was a contender for the title. Pointing out facts is not being a hater; if Reed continued to top three I’d be happy for him, but we all know it’s probably not going to happen.
mxgoon wrote:

Did you note the riders he passed to get the 3 of that 3-5-7?
He blew by Webb in the whoops in race 1 like it was 2004.
And did you note the riders who were unable to log a 3rd place finish, like KR, MM, ........?
This behavior on Vital, of trying predict what will or won’t happen is stupid.
It’s racing that decides, not your feelings or your hopes.
2/24/2019 10:34am Edited Date/Time 2/24/2019 10:34am
plowboy wrote:
Part of the problem with this thread is the widely differing definition of "competitive" that folks have. I guess mine is a pretty low bar. Anyone...
Part of the problem with this thread is the widely differing definition of "competitive" that folks have. I guess mine is a pretty low bar. Anyone that qualifies and earns points consistently in the premier Supercross series is "competitive". Obviously, others believe that only those vying for the championship are "competitive".
Yeah but thing is we're talking about Chad Reed here. If Chad was only battling for top 10's would you say he was competitive? He sure wouldn't, and I made this thread based on a Racer X interview where Chad basically said he still thinks he can compete for the championship. Considering his podium last night I think he is getting closer to his own idea of "competitive."
plowboy
2/24/2019 10:37am
toroP wrote:
Did you note the riders he passed to get the 3 of that 3-5-7? He blew by Webb in the whoops in race 1 like it...
And did you note the riders who were unable to log a 3rd place finish, like KR, MM, ........?
And again some A-hole comes in spewing facts like they mean somethingWoohooSilly
plowboy
2/24/2019 10:48am
plowboy wrote:
Part of the problem with this thread is the widely differing definition of "competitive" that folks have. I guess mine is a pretty low bar. Anyone...
Part of the problem with this thread is the widely differing definition of "competitive" that folks have. I guess mine is a pretty low bar. Anyone that qualifies and earns points consistently in the premier Supercross series is "competitive". Obviously, others believe that only those vying for the championship are "competitive".
Yeah but thing is we're talking about Chad Reed here. If Chad was only battling for top 10's would you say he was competitive? He sure...
Yeah but thing is we're talking about Chad Reed here. If Chad was only battling for top 10's would you say he was competitive? He sure wouldn't, and I made this thread based on a Racer X interview where Chad basically said he still thinks he can compete for the championship. Considering his podium last night I think he is getting closer to his own idea of "competitive."
Well there you go. If Chad thought he would be fighting for a championship and that was his definition of "competitive"...I'd say he was being unrealistic. But, maybe that's what he needed to motivate himself. I think he's doing awesome and he's getting some love from the fans (which is probably what he craves the most).
toroP
2/24/2019 10:49am
toroP wrote:
Did you note the riders he passed to get the 3 of that 3-5-7? He blew by Webb in the whoops in race 1 like it...
plowboy wrote:
And again some A-hole comes in spewing facts like they mean somethingWoohooSilly
Well, I can be an A-hole. Also a fact.Smile
malachi177
2/24/2019 10:56am Edited Date/Time 2/24/2019 10:58am
Stoop wrote:
I think he’s got another season in him
RandyS wrote:
JGR would be stupid to not give him another year.
I wonder what the tension level is at in the JGR camp. Hill needs to buckle down because he’s getting waxed by his team mate.

....yes I know Hill hurt his rib cartlage a few weeks ago
ATKpilot99
2/24/2019 11:37am
Yeah but thing is we're talking about Chad Reed here. If Chad was only battling for top 10's would you say he was competitive? He sure...
I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand.
2/24/2019 12:00pm
mxgoon wrote:

toroP wrote:
I don’t recall saying Reed was not competitive; what I did say was that he’s no longer a top five competitor. And if the racing is what decides that, then you should know that one race doesn’t make an argument for or against my statement. Where is he at in points at the moment? I think the average of 8 or 9 races speaks much louder than one triple crown race.

Also, I think that at his age what he’s doing is incredible so don’t mistake me pointing out where he’s at points wise as an insult because it’s not. In fact he’s doing better than I thought he would, and I have no problem giving credit where credit is due.
Yeti365
2/24/2019 1:00pm
He's a top 5 material all day.

Last night was no fluke or luck. You don't get a podium finish after three main events by accident.

Go Reedy!!!

Post a reply to: Can Reed still be competitive in supercross?

The Latest