Can KTM Skirt AMA’s Homologation Rules with GASGAS?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/3/2020 5:33 PM

Since GASGAS will be a “new” brand/bike to AMA SX/MX can they skirt or find a loophole to the AMA’s homologation rule? Yamaha was able to with Doug Henry’s YZF400. Will GASGAS be able to have full factory bikes their first year racing in the states?

|

3/3/2020 5:44 PM

I don't know how they would justify the expense. They have a proven bike with the ktm/husky platform.

|

3/3/2020 5:52 PM

We won’t see another homologation claim until one of the bigs are ready to put an electric bike into pro racing.

|

3/3/2020 5:57 PM

Why don’t they just tech it as a KTM with weird graphics?

|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

3/3/2020 6:03 PM

MxKing809 wrote:

Why don’t they just tech it as a KTM with weird graphics?

Because they could basically build whatever they want getting a pass on homologation. They could build a bike on the level of Moto GP or F1 if they wanted.

|

3/3/2020 6:04 PM

slowgti wrote:

I don't know how they would justify the expense. They have a proven bike with the ktm/husky platform.

They could literally buy a championship and slingshot GASGAS to the top of the market.

|

3/3/2020 6:17 PM

kylemenz1 wrote:

They could literally buy a championship and slingshot GASGAS to the top of the market.

They could, but where is the GasGas dealer network to sell bikes out of?

|

3/3/2020 6:40 PM

kylemenz1 wrote:

Since GASGAS will be a “new” brand/bike to AMA SX/MX can they skirt or find a loophole to the AMA’s homologation rule? Yamaha was able to with Doug Henry’s YZF400. Will GASGAS be able to have full factory bikes their first year racing in the states?

I think they did away with that exception rule right after they got the 400 in, which when actually sold to
the masses the year after, was a 426.

Effin factories run the show.

|

3/3/2020 6:42 PM

slowgti wrote:

kylemenz1 wrote:

slowgti wrote:

How does Tesla do it?

|

3/3/2020 7:08 PM

kylemenz1 wrote:

slowgti wrote:

motogrady wrote:

How does Tesla do it?

That would be interesting. Like MTB manufactures Commencal, YT, Canyon, and others. Cut out the middleman “dealers” and sell by mail. Hell we’ve already got to pay shipping disguised as “destination fees.” No way in the world do I think KTM would undercut their dealer network. But it would be cool. I know how to put wheels and handle bars on. 👍

|

3/3/2020 7:27 PM

Really there is nothing stopping them just racing a KTM with Red Plastics and Graphics that say GasGas.

Enter it as a KTM and Run it Red.

Or they release the Gas Gas with a black frame in the U.S, bring the 400 in they need sell them with Orange plastics and KTM logos on them smile

Its the same freaking bike after all at the moment.

|

3/3/2020 9:29 PM

slowgti wrote:

kylemenz1 wrote:

Yeah right!! who are they going to get to ride it that could actually win ?? w00t w00t

|

Ed Johnson

3/4/2020 7:52 AM

lostboy819 wrote:

Yeah right!! who are they going to get to ride it that could actually win ?? w00t w00t

RMATV team with BB4 would be my guess.

|

3/4/2020 8:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/4/2020 6:28 PM

If they simply list GasGas as a Title Sponsor on a homologated KTM?...? I guess that's the implication.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

3/4/2020 9:09 AM

So Baggetts gonna win the national championship on a red ktm that says gasgas on it and they’re gonna sell them out of a catalog?

Got it

|

3/4/2020 9:12 AM

Spudnut wrote:

So Baggetts gonna win the national championship on a red ktm that says gasgas on it and they’re gonna sell them out of a catalog?

Got it

...post of the day.

thank you for the laugh...

|

3/4/2020 11:41 AM

Spudnut wrote:

Got it

I’m down!

|

3/4/2020 12:29 PM

kylemenz1 wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:

ga_pike wrote:

BB4 is way too inconsistent to even be a title contender, He can win on any given weekend but only once every few years. blush

|

Ed Johnson

3/4/2020 12:49 PM

kylemenz1 wrote:

They could if they want to. It would be a great test bed for Husky/KTM.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

3/4/2020 12:59 PM

I’m going to say no.

I expect you’ll see product in the first year that parallels the orange and white brands, and more differences in future years.

What’s your idea of a factory bike? I think that has evolved a lot from the days of handmade works bikes.

Even the GP bikes (maybe short of this year’s Hondas) look a lot more production-based.

|

3/4/2020 2:13 PM

kylemenz1 wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:

ga_pike wrote:

Good guess.

|

3/4/2020 2:38 PM

kylemenz1 wrote:

motogrady wrote:

I think they did away with that exception rule right after they got the 400 in, which when actually sold to

They sold the 400 for 2 years before they bumped it to a 426.

|

3/4/2020 6:09 PM

Pretty sure they will just ship 400 gasgas bikes to dealers and meet homologation. No need to skirt rules when you are actually in the business of building motorcycles and sell them worldwide.

|

3/4/2020 6:27 PM

Current race bikes are getting to the point where their reliability is so good that running a true works or homologated bike would be a massive gamble on reliability.
One DNF can mean a lost championship these days.

There’s little risk in waiting a year so that KTM can get their parts into production on the GasGas model which will be a proven race bike, right away, just like Husqvarna was.

|

3/4/2020 6:53 PM

nickm wrote:

Pretty sure they will just ship 400 gasgas bikes to dealers and meet homologation. No need to skirt rules when you are actually in the business of building motorcycles and sell them worldwide.

They only need to be in the country with a valid B.O.L.

|

3/4/2020 10:26 PM

kylemenz1 wrote:

motogrady wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:

Thanks for the correction. IMHO that makes them collector material.

|

3/4/2020 10:31 PM

nickm wrote:

Remember the Dungey Replicas? There was some pretty creative happenings there. He was racing one
and there were no where near 200 of them available to the public at the time. As usual, the AMA let it slide, something like intent, or in the pipeline.

|

3/5/2020 3:25 AM

GuyB wrote:

I’m going to say no.

I expect you’ll see product in the first year that parallels the orange and white brands, and more differences in future years.

What’s your idea of a factory bike? I think that has evolved a lot from the days of handmade works bikes.

Even the GP bikes (maybe short of this year’s Hondas) look a lot more production-based.

Production based sure......

They just alter bore, stroke, and frames

|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

3/5/2020 4:23 AM

motogrady wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:

motogrady wrote:

Thanks for the correction. IMHO that makes them collector material.

A guy in our town has a 98 in the crate. I think he’d agree with you!

I bought a used 98 in 2000, but it had the 420 mod already done. It was a bear to start but great for an old fat guy to ride. I thought that it was the equivalent of when parabolic skis came out in how it made riding easier.

|

3/5/2020 4:51 AM

lostboy819 wrote:

ga_pike wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:

BB4 is way too inconsistent to even be a title contender, He can win on any given weekend but only once every few years. blush

He would make a good farmer or geologist with all the dirt samples he takes.

|

If the glass is half full it's twice as big as it needs to be.