Can I trade in a bike with just a Certificate of Origin?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/1/2020 6:54 PM

Bought a new bike a few months ago and never went to get it titled. Do I have to go title it and pay taxes before trading it? Thx.

|

6/1/2020 7:29 PM

Nope, gotta pay the man and get a title. Cannot transfer ownership through a cert of origin.

|

6/1/2020 9:16 PM

It is different in every state. Here in Mass I paid my sales tax and didn't have to get a title (MX Bike), and I have sold or traded in bikes with just the certificate of origin.

|

My photo gallery: www.pbase.com/thomasef

6/2/2020 2:59 AM

Never trade in anything.

|

6/2/2020 3:17 AM

Sell it privately, make 40%+more and an mso is plenty for a private sale.

|

6/2/2020 11:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/2/2020 11:38 AM

yz133rider wrote:

I traded in my 2016 kx450 in october 2019. I always sell out right, and I always buy out of state to avoid sales tax. In this instance I used a local dealer, and even after paying the difference in sales tax, I came out 400$ ahead from what my asking price was outright, and the price of a new one in cash w/o sales tax out of state. To make it even sweeter since it was a local dealer they allowed me to apply for team green, so i came out effectively 1900$ ahead, and didnt have to spend 4 hours each way driving out of state to buy. Win win win all around.

To the original question, i had an ohio title for the 2016 - I bought it new, they kept the MSO and submitted it for an ohio title. I received in the mail even though there was no sales tax paid. Was told to pay my state when I registered it in NY which i never did. I traded in without problem, and DMV confirmed that if anybody was to be holding the bag on back taxes it would of been the selling dealership in ohio.

|

6/2/2020 1:34 PM

yz133rider wrote:

dmm698 wrote:

I traded in my 2016 kx450 in october 2019. I always sell out right, and I always buy out of state to avoid sales tax. In this instance I used a local dealer, and even after paying the difference in sales tax, I came out 400$ ahead from what my asking price was outright, and the price of a new one in cash w/o sales tax out of state. To make it even sweeter since it was a local dealer they allowed me to apply for team green, so i came out effectively 1900$ ahead, and didnt have to spend 4 hours each way driving out of state to buy. Win win win all around.

To the original question, i had an ohio title for the 2016 - I bought it new, they kept the MSO and submitted it for an ohio title. I received in the mail even though there was no sales tax paid. Was told to pay my state when I registered it in NY which i never did. I traded in without problem, and DMV confirmed that if anybody was to be holding the bag on back taxes it would of been the selling dealership in ohio.

I was recently shocked on dealer trade-ins, much higher than expected. Bought a boat and two Sea Doos. Typical story, used them every weekend the first summer and twice the second summer. Decided to sale and emailed my salesman and asked what the boat was worth. He said the dealership would buy it. I was floored when they offered me $20,000 above what i expected. So I contacted the dealership where I bought the two Sea Doos (big group of dealerships with multiple lines) and they offered me $5,000 more than I expected.

As consumers we are always looking at how low can we go and get the deal. It seems like these powersports dealers have a formula on what the unit will sale for, and back into a number based on how long they will hold it, repairs needed and the margin they are programmed to make on used inventory. I would have sold my stuff for much less. I will definitely buy from these guys in the future.

To the original question, I have bought a lot of bikes in the last couple of years with just a Bill of Sale. I would prefer not to title bikes that don't need a license plate.

|

6/2/2020 1:40 PM

Same here! I didn’t get a private sale price when trading, realized they have to sale it and make a profit. But it beat the tireless emails and calls from the “serious” tire kickers. From what I didn’t make in trade it was offset from the hassle of selling private.

|

6/5/2020 10:03 AM

motoGleamer wrote:

Bought a new bike a few months ago and never went to get it titled. Do I have to go title it and pay taxes before trading it? Thx.

Bought bike out of state.. no tax have cert of org. Sold back to same dealer non issue. Bought 2020 bike from them same day same way..

|

6/5/2020 7:48 PM

Look, we know you didn’t have time to get down to the DMV and get a title. The IRS guy reading this can now go work on other cases, because he knows that you’re going tomorrow to title that SOB and then you’ll trade it in.

|

GP740
Since 1987