Camping at MMX (NorCal)?

Sierra Ranger
Edited Date/Time 8/10/2020 12:10pm
I see MMX has free camping on weekends if you're riding. I'm thinking about doing Sat.-Sun with my 6 year old daughter in the RV, but a bit apprehensive because of the neighborhood around the track. I was once warned about leaving my tools out in my truck near the sand track.
Has anybody camped at MMX lately? Are there usually people around? It seems safer if it's not just me out there.
|
Bruce372
7/31/2020 11:00am
Yeah, there are a lot of tweakers hanging around that area
KurtJ99
Fantasy
682nd
7/31/2020 11:06am
Not like 70's and 80's where you could camp with no concerns. If you are in Sac I definitely would drive home and come back next day.
chasetwo79
7/31/2020 11:30am
If it’s a race weekend and others are camping it’s probably cool. If it’s just you, those meth heads are always lingering out in the woods just off the property. It is pretty gross. Zeb who runs E street right next door has posted multiple times about tweakers trying to cut the locks on his shipping containers.

Sierra Ranger
7/31/2020 12:02pm
Dang, this isn't looking like a good idea. I'll be worried the whole time!
(Looking at investing in a shotgun for my RV travel).

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
7/31/2020 12:47pm
My Parents will be up there next weekend. Planning on camping at the track I believe, but I will let them know about this issue.
Sierra Ranger
7/31/2020 1:14pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
My Parents will be up there next weekend. Planning on camping at the track I believe, but I will let them know about this issue.
There is a decent-looking hotel right by the track, but the area right around the track is pretty sketchy (It's not densely populated or anything but Marysville is hurtin'). My main concern is having a little kid with me.
slipdog
7/31/2020 1:45pm
Marysville is a dirty shit hole. If you were going to hotel it I'd spend the money and drive back to the Hard Rock in Wheatland.
chasetwo79
7/31/2020 3:02pm
Just go camp somewhere in Nevada City or around there. Only about half an hour away and in the foothills. Tons of RV parks in the foothills. That way you can quick drive to Track and still have your rig. It’s very possible you could be fine but as someone said earlier “Marysville is a shit hole”. But it does have a few cool tracks so it’s a necessary shit hole.
Sierra Ranger
7/31/2020 3:37pm
chasetwo79 wrote:
Just go camp somewhere in Nevada City or around there. Only about half an hour away and in the foothills. Tons of RV parks in the...
Just go camp somewhere in Nevada City or around there. Only about half an hour away and in the foothills. Tons of RV parks in the foothills. That way you can quick drive to Track and still have your rig. It’s very possible you could be fine but as someone said earlier “Marysville is a shit hole”. But it does have a few cool tracks so it’s a necessary shit hole.
I hope nobody that lives in Marysville reads this. Grinning The coolest thing about it is of course, three major tracks.
I was recently watching a Magoo doc and it had a clip of him riding in Marysville- it looked like the 70s. Not sure which track it was.
Thanks for the advice. Riding is done by 2 pm on Saturday anyhow so that would have been a long time to hang out at the track.
Ovaltine
7/31/2020 6:26pm
I work for the railroad that uses the tracks on both sides of the mx tracks. There are a lot of homeless in that area. Along the north side of the river, in the fruit trees just to the east of the mx track and along the tracks by the Walmart. Camp Far West Lake maybe?
TeamGreen
7/31/2020 6:44pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2020 7:31pm
If you've got a good HMFD(Huge Mean F'ing Dog), you're gonna be fine...but, the terrible shit that passes for "tweakers" in that area ain't a good thing to witness. It's worse, from my experience, over by the E-street bridge.

If there are more than a few folks camping there, you should be fine. Myself? I'd take the HMFD.
KMC440
7/31/2020 7:16pm
I grew up in that area... yeah I ain't camping anywhere near Olivehurst.
NeedMoto
7/31/2020 8:17pm
Buddy of mine was at MMX last week. Tweaker chick relentlessly pursued him throughout the day asking him for tampons WoohooKissing

He was very disturbed after the ordeal Unsure
Wade221
7/31/2020 8:31pm
chasetwo79 wrote:
Just go camp somewhere in Nevada City or around there. Only about half an hour away and in the foothills. Tons of RV parks in the...
I hope nobody that lives in Marysville reads this. :lol: The coolest thing about it is of course, three major tracks. I was recently watching a...
I hope nobody that lives in Marysville reads this. Grinning The coolest thing about it is of course, three major tracks.
I was recently watching a Magoo doc and it had a clip of him riding in Marysville- it looked like the 70s. Not sure which track it was.
Thanks for the advice. Riding is done by 2 pm on Saturday anyhow so that would have been a long time to hang out at the track.
Good thing I’m not from Marysville 😂
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
7/31/2020 10:29pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
There is a decent-looking hotel right by the track, but the area right around the track is pretty sketchy (It's not densely populated or anything but...
There is a decent-looking hotel right by the track, but the area right around the track is pretty sketchy (It's not densely populated or anything but Marysville is hurtin'). My main concern is having a little kid with me.
We’ve been up there many times over the years and have a few places we usually stay. They just did it two weeks or so ago for the first race of the series. This time they are taking their trailer and heading up Friday night. They’ll be up there to race again next Saturday night. I pretty much grew up racing GFI North, even though we have always lived in So Cal.

If anyone will be there next Saturday night, look for #20 on a 2020 RMZ450, he’ll probably be wearing Fasthouse gear.
dancolvin633
Fantasy
2255th
7/31/2020 10:37pm
What Slipdog said.... drive 10 min back to Hard Rock and stay there. I believe you can camp in the motor home there as well.
Sierra Ranger
7/31/2020 11:26pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
There is a decent-looking hotel right by the track, but the area right around the track is pretty sketchy (It's not densely populated or anything but...
mattyhamz2 wrote:
We’ve been up there many times over the years and have a few places we usually stay. They just did it two weeks or so ago...
We’ve been up there many times over the years and have a few places we usually stay. They just did it two weeks or so ago for the first race of the series. This time they are taking their trailer and heading up Friday night. They’ll be up there to race again next Saturday night. I pretty much grew up racing GFI North, even though we have always lived in So Cal.

If anyone will be there next Saturday night, look for #20 on a 2020 RMZ450, he’ll probably be wearing Fasthouse gear.
I raced the GP a few weeks ago, so I was at the same race. I didn't know if practice weekends were a fun pit party or staring into the blackness in an isolated parking lot.
And to Wade from Yuba City- sorry if your city got kicked around in this thread. I realize when I drive through these places that all kinds of people live there, and there is always more than meets the eye. Marysville/Yuba City is an example of a typical struggling California community these days, and it kind of sucks to see. Hell, moto is the bright spot in the local economy, it seems like! But I go there all the time to ride and the drive is awesome, too. So Marysville has its attraction as a motocross destination.
JM485
8/1/2020 11:39am
TeamGreen wrote:
If you've got a good HMFD(Huge Mean F'ing Dog), you're gonna be fine...but, the terrible shit that passes for "tweakers" in that area ain't a good...
If you've got a good HMFD(Huge Mean F'ing Dog), you're gonna be fine...but, the terrible shit that passes for "tweakers" in that area ain't a good thing to witness. It's worse, from my experience, over by the E-street bridge.

If there are more than a few folks camping there, you should be fine. Myself? I'd take the HMFD.
One of my favorite things to do at E street is ride up under the bridge and check for any tweakers sleeping up there, then cruise though the homeless camps and trip out on the “tweakery”Laughing

Nothing like tons of trash, burned RVs (sometimes still smoldering if you catch it on a good day), rolled over cars, and tent palaces that would impress even the most experienced civil engineer.
Mxracer607
8/3/2020 8:06am
Dang, this isn't looking like a good idea. I'll be worried the whole time!
(Looking at investing in a shotgun for my RV travel).
Lock your bikes and tools and or anything that’s worth something. I know someone who had his bike stolen there after we told him to lock them inside and he didn’t listen
Sierra Ranger
8/3/2020 2:35pm
TeamGreen wrote:
If you've got a good HMFD(Huge Mean F'ing Dog), you're gonna be fine...but, the terrible shit that passes for "tweakers" in that area ain't a good...

JM485 wrote:
One of my favorite things to do at E street is ride up under the bridge and check for any tweakers sleeping up there, then cruise...
One of my favorite things to do at E street is ride up under the bridge and check for any tweakers sleeping up there, then cruise though the homeless camps and trip out on the “tweakery”Laughing

Nothing like tons of trash, burned RVs (sometimes still smoldering if you catch it on a good day), rolled over cars, and tent palaces that would impress even the most experienced civil engineer.
Now that I think about this, who burns RVs? You would think homeless would want to keep an RV? Or is it the smoldering wreckage of a theft/carjacking scenario, as we descend further into Mad Max reality? Laughing
urbanlift707
8/4/2020 8:20pm
I camp there all the time, sometimes I’m the only trailer other times there are quite a few people. Certainly lots of tweakers around but I’ve never had an issue.
chasetwo79
8/4/2020 8:50pm
I camp there all the time, sometimes I’m the only trailer other times there are quite a few people. Certainly lots of tweakers around but I’ve...
I camp there all the time, sometimes I’m the only trailer other times there are quite a few people. Certainly lots of tweakers around but I’ve never had an issue.
That’s good to know! I ride there but I’m fairly local so I’ve never camped. Hence my saying that there are hoards of tweakers! Thanks for the information!
Sierra Ranger
8/5/2020 12:53pm
Is anybody camping this weekend? Looks like an OTHG race on Saturday and lots of practice time going on.
Mxracer607
8/5/2020 3:04pm
Is anybody camping this weekend? Looks like an OTHG race on Saturday and lots of practice time going on.
yea but im camping at riverfront for the Saturday night race
Hammer 663s
8/5/2020 6:53pm
Not sure what's worse - the tweakers in MV/YC or the billion shit flies at Tulare DT1. Smile

The Oatfield is the best NorCal track to camp at - middle of nowhere, fully fenced, and nothing like hearing the Azevedos starting prep at 0500 on race day to get your adrenaline going.

Hammer
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
8/5/2020 7:03pm
I see MMX has free camping on weekends if you're riding. I'm thinking about doing Sat.-Sun with my 6 year old daughter in the RV, but...
I see MMX has free camping on weekends if you're riding. I'm thinking about doing Sat.-Sun with my 6 year old daughter in the RV, but a bit apprehensive because of the neighborhood around the track. I was once warned about leaving my tools out in my truck near the sand track.
Has anybody camped at MMX lately? Are there usually people around? It seems safer if it's not just me out there.
you can stay in lincoln or Roseville, these are relatively safe citys if you're concerned. theyre about a half hour south
8/6/2020 7:56am
I see MMX has free camping on weekends if you're riding. I'm thinking about doing Sat.-Sun with my 6 year old daughter in the RV, but...
you can stay in lincoln or Roseville, these are relatively safe citys if you're concerned. theyre about a half hour south
He lives in sacramento, which is only 45 min south.
Sierra Ranger
8/6/2020 11:33am
He lives in sacramento, which is only 45 min south.
I'm actually in Grass Valley now...fresh off a divorce and living in my RV full-time (not a van down by the river, but close Woohoo ).

Post a reply to: Camping at MMX (NorCal)?

The Latest