Camping at MMX (NorCal)?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/31/2020 10:07 AM

I see MMX has free camping on weekends if you're riding. I'm thinking about doing Sat.-Sun with my 6 year old daughter in the RV, but a bit apprehensive because of the neighborhood around the track. I was once warned about leaving my tools out in my truck near the sand track.
Has anybody camped at MMX lately? Are there usually people around? It seems safer if it's not just me out there.

|

7/31/2020 11:00 AM

Yeah, there are a lot of tweakers hanging around that area

|

7/31/2020 11:06 AM

Not like 70's and 80's where you could camp with no concerns. If you are in Sac I definitely would drive home and come back next day.

|

7/31/2020 11:30 AM

If it’s a race weekend and others are camping it’s probably cool. If it’s just you, those meth heads are always lingering out in the woods just off the property. It is pretty gross. Zeb who runs E street right next door has posted multiple times about tweakers trying to cut the locks on his shipping containers.

|

7/31/2020 12:02 PM

Dang, this isn't looking like a good idea. I'll be worried the whole time!
(Looking at investing in a shotgun for my RV travel).

|

7/31/2020 12:47 PM

My Parents will be up there next weekend. Planning on camping at the track I believe, but I will let them know about this issue.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

7/31/2020 1:14 PM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

My Parents will be up there next weekend. Planning on camping at the track I believe, but I will let them know about this ...more

There is a decent-looking hotel right by the track, but the area right around the track is pretty sketchy (It's not densely populated or anything but Marysville is hurtin'). My main concern is having a little kid with me.

|

7/31/2020 1:45 PM

Marysville is a dirty shit hole. If you were going to hotel it I'd spend the money and drive back to the Hard Rock in Wheatland.

|

7/31/2020 3:02 PM

Just go camp somewhere in Nevada City or around there. Only about half an hour away and in the foothills. Tons of RV parks in the foothills. That way you can quick drive to Track and still have your rig. It’s very possible you could be fine but as someone said earlier “Marysville is a shit hole”. But it does have a few cool tracks so it’s a necessary shit hole.

|

7/31/2020 3:37 PM

chasetwo79 wrote:

Just go camp somewhere in Nevada City or around there. Only about half an hour away and in the foothills. Tons of RV parks in ...more

I hope nobody that lives in Marysville reads this. grin The coolest thing about it is of course, three major tracks.
I was recently watching a Magoo doc and it had a clip of him riding in Marysville- it looked like the 70s. Not sure which track it was.
Thanks for the advice. Riding is done by 2 pm on Saturday anyhow so that would have been a long time to hang out at the track.

|

7/31/2020 6:26 PM

I work for the railroad that uses the tracks on both sides of the mx tracks. There are a lot of homeless in that area. Along the north side of the river, in the fruit trees just to the east of the mx track and along the tracks by the Walmart. Camp Far West Lake maybe?

|

7/31/2020 6:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/31/2020 7:31 PM

If you've got a good HMFD(Huge Mean F'ing Dog), you're gonna be fine...but, the terrible shit that passes for "tweakers" in that area ain't a good thing to witness. It's worse, from my experience, over by the E-street bridge.

If there are more than a few folks camping there, you should be fine. Myself? I'd take the HMFD.

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

7/31/2020 7:16 PM

I grew up in that area... yeah I ain't camping anywhere near Olivehurst.

|

7/31/2020 8:17 PM

Buddy of mine was at MMX last week. Tweaker chick relentlessly pursued him throughout the day asking him for tampons w00t kissing

He was very disturbed after the ordeal unsure

|

7/31/2020 8:31 PM

chasetwo79 wrote:

Just go camp somewhere in Nevada City or around there. Only about half an hour away and in the foothills. Tons of RV parks in ...more

Sierra Ranger wrote:

I hope nobody that lives in Marysville reads this. grin The coolest thing about it is of course, three major tracks.
I was ...more

Good thing I’m not from Marysville 😂

|

7/31/2020 10:29 PM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

My Parents will be up there next weekend. Planning on camping at the track I believe, but I will let them know about this ...more

Sierra Ranger wrote:

There is a decent-looking hotel right by the track, but the area right around the track is pretty sketchy (It's not densely ...more

We’ve been up there many times over the years and have a few places we usually stay. They just did it two weeks or so ago for the first race of the series. This time they are taking their trailer and heading up Friday night. They’ll be up there to race again next Saturday night. I pretty much grew up racing GFI North, even though we have always lived in So Cal.

If anyone will be there next Saturday night, look for #20 on a 2020 RMZ450, he’ll probably be wearing Fasthouse gear.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

7/31/2020 10:37 PM

What Slipdog said.... drive 10 min back to Hard Rock and stay there. I believe you can camp in the motor home there as well.

|

7/31/2020 11:26 PM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Sierra Ranger wrote:

There is a decent-looking hotel right by the track, but the area right around the track is pretty sketchy (It's not densely ...more

mattyhamz2 wrote:

We’ve been up there many times over the years and have a few places we usually stay. They just did it two weeks or so ago for ...more

I raced the GP a few weeks ago, so I was at the same race. I didn't know if practice weekends were a fun pit party or staring into the blackness in an isolated parking lot.
And to Wade from Yuba City- sorry if your city got kicked around in this thread. I realize when I drive through these places that all kinds of people live there, and there is always more than meets the eye. Marysville/Yuba City is an example of a typical struggling California community these days, and it kind of sucks to see. Hell, moto is the bright spot in the local economy, it seems like! But I go there all the time to ride and the drive is awesome, too. So Marysville has its attraction as a motocross destination.

|

8/1/2020 7:37 AM

Photo
|

8/1/2020 11:39 AM

TeamGreen wrote:

If you've got a good HMFD(Huge Mean F'ing Dog), you're gonna be fine...but, the terrible shit that passes for "tweakers" in ...more

One of my favorite things to do at E street is ride up under the bridge and check for any tweakers sleeping up there, then cruise though the homeless camps and trip out on the “tweakery”laughing

Nothing like tons of trash, burned RVs (sometimes still smoldering if you catch it on a good day), rolled over cars, and tent palaces that would impress even the most experienced civil engineer.

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com

8/1/2020 1:19 PM

Bruce372 wrote:

Yeah, there are a lot of tweakers hanging around that area

This is true!

|

8/3/2020 8:06 AM

Sierra Ranger wrote:

Dang, this isn't looking like a good idea. I'll be worried the whole time!
(Looking at investing in a shotgun for my RV ...more

Lock your bikes and tools and or anything that’s worth something. I know someone who had his bike stolen there after we told him to lock them inside and he didn’t listen

|

8/3/2020 2:35 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

If you've got a good HMFD(Huge Mean F'ing Dog), you're gonna be fine...but, the terrible shit that passes for "tweakers" in ...more

JM485 wrote:

One of my favorite things to do at E street is ride up under the bridge and check for any tweakers sleeping up there, then ...more

Now that I think about this, who burns RVs? You would think homeless would want to keep an RV? Or is it the smoldering wreckage of a theft/carjacking scenario, as we descend further into Mad Max reality? laughing

|

8/4/2020 8:20 PM

I camp there all the time, sometimes I’m the only trailer other times there are quite a few people. Certainly lots of tweakers around but I’ve never had an issue.

|

8/4/2020 8:50 PM

urbanlift707 wrote:

I camp there all the time, sometimes I’m the only trailer other times there are quite a few people. Certainly lots of tweakers ...more

That’s good to know! I ride there but I’m fairly local so I’ve never camped. Hence my saying that there are hoards of tweakers! Thanks for the information!

|

8/5/2020 12:53 PM

Is anybody camping this weekend? Looks like an OTHG race on Saturday and lots of practice time going on.

|

8/5/2020 3:04 PM

Sierra Ranger wrote:

Is anybody camping this weekend? Looks like an OTHG race on Saturday and lots of practice time going on.

yea but im camping at riverfront for the Saturday night race

|

8/5/2020 6:53 PM

Not sure what's worse - the tweakers in MV/YC or the billion shit flies at Tulare DT1. smile

The Oatfield is the best NorCal track to camp at - middle of nowhere, fully fenced, and nothing like hearing the Azevedos starting prep at 0500 on race day to get your adrenaline going.

Hammer

|

8/5/2020 7:03 PM

Sierra Ranger wrote:

I see MMX has free camping on weekends if you're riding. I'm thinking about doing Sat.-Sun with my 6 year old daughter in the ...more

you can stay in lincoln or Roseville, these are relatively safe citys if you're concerned. theyre about a half hour south

|

"If you feel in control, you're not going fast enough" ~Mario Andretti

8/6/2020 7:56 AM

Sierra Ranger wrote:

I see MMX has free camping on weekends if you're riding. I'm thinking about doing Sat.-Sun with my 6 year old daughter in the ...more

Phillip_Lamb wrote:

you can stay in lincoln or Roseville, these are relatively safe citys if you're concerned. theyre about a half hour south

He lives in sacramento, which is only 45 min south.

|