Calling it now...

Related:
Create New Tag

6/24/2020 1:14 AM

The way Sexton rode the last 2 races, the speed and technique combined plus the fact he is really young (5 years younger than Webb, 6 than Roczen and 7 than Tomac), he is gonna be a VERY big threat for that 450 SX title, even in 2021. Even the top trio (2, 94 and 3) will have trouble with him...
I'm not a big fan, and I didn't really paid intention to his riding until lately but man, he's strong, like real strong.

|

6/24/2020 1:19 AM

I think he will adapt extremely well to the 450. He reminds me of Gajser!

|

6/24/2020 1:28 AM

He said he has almost no time on a 450.

He won’t contend for the title this year and probably will not make any podiums this year in the Outdoors!

|

6/24/2020 2:30 AM

He is a dark horse that I feel is underrated and under appreciated...

|

6/24/2020 3:00 AM

I do believe Sexton will be good on the 450. But let’s just hold on a bit until we crown him king. Almost everyone minus maybe Dungey, took some bumps for a year or two before they started winning on the 450

|

6/24/2020 5:39 AM

I think he will make the podium at some point this summer

|

6/24/2020 5:53 AM

Ricky\ralph said....he's 6'1" and should adapt very well.

|

scte3.0 pro-line trinity tekin

6/24/2020 5:57 AM

Listened to his interview on pulp and it made me an instant fan. Great style and race craft, also the right amount of agression. He will do well on the 450s. Maybe not immediately, but he‘ll be a contender for wins next year.
And finally a rider that’s wants to move up and not stay forever on 250s.

|

6/24/2020 6:11 AM

same as AC crash prone

|

6/24/2020 6:14 AM

I find it fascinating that HRC went after him as hard as they did while knowing that Forker seemed to have him covered speed-wise. Why didn't they make a run at Forkner instead? There had to have been reasons, and I think those reasons are coming into focus now.

I think I'll leave it at that.

|

6/24/2020 7:28 AM

Silas444 wrote:

I find it fascinating that HRC went after him as hard as they did while knowing that Forker seemed to have him covered speed-wise. Why didn't they make a run at Forkner instead? There had to have been reasons, and I think those reasons are coming into focus now.

I wouldn't touch Forkner. He seems to crash a lot.
I think Sexton has way more upside. Yup, he's going to hit the dirt a few times on the 450, but I think he'll be top 3 in a couple of years.

|

6/24/2020 7:30 AM

I think it will take a few years, look at AC and Webb’s rookie seasons, the gap to 450s is no joke

|

6/24/2020 7:42 AM

I feel like barring an injury he will get some podium pie at some point this summer.
Like a few hole shots. Possibly even lead a few laps.
But man Eli has to having a serious case of the confidence big right now.
Coop has to be feeling that he needs some retribution.
And Roczen knows he has the speed but needs just a little endurance.
Now with the entire Husky team proving they have the speed too, outdoors will be an exciting one for sure. I for one cannot wait.

|

6/24/2020 2:11 PM

Woah woah, let's not get too ahead of ourselves here. Yes, he's good and has two 250SX championships. However, he's never raced a 450 before!

Even riders who immediately challenged for wins their rookie season had some prior 450SX experience.
For example, Dungey in 2010 and Canard in 2011 had great rookie seasons. Dungey almost won a race while still an active 250 rider. Canard got a few podiums while filling in at Factory Honda.

|

6/24/2020 2:26 PM

Motofinne wrote:

I think he will adapt extremely well to the 450. He reminds me of Gajser!

But with a visor and less crashes.....

|

6/24/2020 2:38 PM

He'll probably be good, but people always think guys will be soooo much bettta on a 450 just because they're tall.

This board was ready to anoint Plessinger as the next champ and send Webb off to pasture two years ago.

Usually you have to walk before you can run.

|

6/24/2020 2:42 PM

Silas444 wrote:

RC and Mitch both agree why take the risk on a talented fast kid who crashes a lot

|

6/24/2020 2:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/24/2020 2:54 PM

No doubt about it, he has improved immensely from last year, the last few races were truly top tier stuff, after last year I thought he will always will be behind forkner, man I was wrong.

At the last sx he looked the cleanest out of everyone in the 250s and most of the 450s.

|

6/24/2020 2:53 PM

I think Sexton can win a race his first year in SX. Possibly be a threat in his second year. He might be the answer to the question, "what would happen if Windham got a shot of confidence?".

|

6/24/2020 3:31 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

He won’t contend for the title this year and probably will not make any podiums this year in the Outdoors!

Maybe you are being sarcastic, but it would not surprise me to see him on the podium at all. Dungey did pretty good in his rookie season in the 450 class.

|

6/24/2020 4:30 PM

Sorry but a Healthy Tomac , Webb , Roczen , AC, Anderson and Osbourne he will be pushing to make the podium in 2021.

|

6/24/2020 4:38 PM

dsmith wrote:

Ricky\ralph said....he's 6'1" and should adapt very well.

Hopefully he fills out a bit, he kind of looks like AC in 250 days where adam was always getting hurt. Adam himself said he didnt have enough muscle

|

There are two kinds of people against dirt bikes, those who never tried and those who weren't good at them.

6/24/2020 4:39 PM

Suicidal_Tendencies wrote:

Maybe you are being sarcastic, but it would not surprise me to see him on the podium at all. Dungey did pretty good in his rookie season in the 450 class.

Who did dungey race in 2010 outdoors? The field was very thin compared to the 450 class these days.

|

There are two kinds of people against dirt bikes, those who never tried and those who weren't good at them.

6/24/2020 4:43 PM

To podium he would need to beat all but two of the following in a 30+2

Tomac
Webb
Roczen
Anderson
Osborne
Wilson
Barcia
Baggett
Cianciarulo
Musquin

That's a tall order. There will be riders on the list above that won't podium the whole season

|

6/24/2020 4:49 PM

cwel11 wrote:

I do believe Sexton will be good on the 450. But let’s just hold on a bit until we crown him king. Almost everyone minus maybe Dungey, took some bumps for a year or two before they started winning on the 450

Roczen as a rookie wone some supercrosses and beat Dungey for the outdoor title, just saying. It can be done and we will see.

|

6/24/2020 6:47 PM

He has a pretty good riding coach, teaching him good race craft.

I think we need to pay attention to him, bigly.

|

6/24/2020 7:09 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Aussie_power_sports wrote:

Who did dungey race in 2010 outdoors? The field was very thin compared to the 450 class these days.

I would not be so quick to downplay the depth of class in regards to Dungey's dominance. At A1, he kept pace with Stewart, beat the other heavy hitters like Reed and RV, and had a phenomenal sx series, winning the title. Outdoors, he waxed the competition, usually winning by 30-45 seconds which put him on the next level. History shows that Dungey went on to beat guys like Reed, Tomac, Roczen, Anderson, Barcia, Bagget, et al. which is impressive.

Sexton shows all the signs of that next level rider so while the competition may be tough, there will always be an up and comer ready to mix it up for podiums and wins.

|

6/24/2020 7:16 PM

For some reason, not sure why, Sexton always makes me think of a much more focused Davi Millsaps. Could just be the height, not sure.

|

6/24/2020 7:33 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

I’m not being sarcastic! He said this week that he has almost no time on a 450.

Why in the world would anyone think he would podium his first year? top 3 on a bike he has almost no time on? Really? I’m calling no way! You guys call what you want to and we can pull this thread back up.

Didn’t the 250 and the heat of Florida sideline him last year? Well the 450 isn’t gonna be easier that second week in Florida

|

6/24/2020 7:42 PM

I think those counting out Sexton for a podium are overlooking things a bit. He doesn't need to beat those guys consistently. We've seen time and again that all it takes is a good start and some momentum and a guy can land on the box. That could be even with a 3-5 or something like that.

|