California moto trip

Freddyfred
Edited Date/Time 7/25/2021 2:26pm
Hi All

I'm driving the motovan from Missouri to California and will be there from July 12-24, staying with a brother in law in Palm Springs planning to ride Glen Helen, Pala, Cahuilla and what other tracks I can find.

I have a couple of questions:
Do I need to get a red sticker if I only ride tracks?
Will I be able to find race gas anywhere near Palm Springs?

Cheers/ Fred
|
6/30/2021 10:11am
Howdy,

No red sticker needed.

Reach out to the VP office in Murrieta and they will let you know who has what. 951-696-5100

Other Tracks should be perris, statefair, and Lake elsinore.
Freddyfred
6/30/2021 10:49am
Howdy, No red sticker needed. Reach out to the VP office in Murrieta and they will let you know who has what. 951-696-5100 Other Tracks should...
Howdy,

No red sticker needed.

Reach out to the VP office in Murrieta and they will let you know who has what. 951-696-5100

Other Tracks should be perris, statefair, and Lake elsinore.
Excellent info, thanks a bunch!
xrmark
6/30/2021 11:12am
For sure hit all the tracks here. They’re all relatively close to you. It’s going to be hooot here though and more so in Palm Springs. If you ride Elsinore there’s a gas station on grand ave. That sells VP out of the pump and 5 gallon can. Pala might have it in there shop?? Any shop down here carry’s it really. And if you ride Elsinore, hit jacks BBQ after it on the lake. You’ll thank me later

The Shop

moto314
6/30/2021 11:59am
Don't forget LACR out in Palmdale area.
If you like sand, I second LACR!
Freddyfred
6/30/2021 12:27pm
xrmark wrote:
For sure hit all the tracks here. They’re all relatively close to you. It’s going to be hooot here though and more so in Palm Springs...
For sure hit all the tracks here. They’re all relatively close to you. It’s going to be hooot here though and more so in Palm Springs. If you ride Elsinore there’s a gas station on grand ave. That sells VP out of the pump and 5 gallon can. Pala might have it in there shop?? Any shop down here carry’s it really. And if you ride Elsinore, hit jacks BBQ after it on the lake. You’ll thank me later
Woah thanks for the tips. I did have Elsinore in mind, I hope I have time to hit it and for the post riding food stop I give you a gold star!
Freddyfred
6/30/2021 12:28pm
Don't forget LACR out in Palmdale area.
moto314 wrote:
If you like sand, I second LACR!
Not only do I like sand, I LOVE sand so hoping I have time to go there too!
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
6/30/2021 1:00pm
Freddyfred wrote:
Hi All I'm driving the motovan from Missouri to California and will be there from July 12-24, staying with a brother in law in Palm Springs...
Hi All

I'm driving the motovan from Missouri to California and will be there from July 12-24, staying with a brother in law in Palm Springs planning to ride Glen Helen, Pala, Cahuilla and what other tracks I can find.

Cheers/ Fred
If you want to ride on any public land, you can purchase an out-of-state permit for $30.

https://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25669

This would include Quail Canyon (Gorman) MX.
hubbardmx50
6/30/2021 2:34pm
There’s a dealership in Palm Springs and another one in Banning but I’m not sure if they sell VP. Have a good trip! Ride safe.
captmoto
6/30/2021 6:27pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2021 6:28pm
Centrally located. VP101 at the pump and 5 gallon pails. You will need to fill out a bullshit form for gas but it is an annual deal. Basically saying you're using it for off road only. Call ahead if you are using T4, their inventory seems to go up and down.
https://downsenergy.com/
And I'm sure you know it's a hundred and hell in Palms Springs.
SrfNdirt
6/30/2021 7:20pm
Missouri, damn that's a long haul. Sounds like a fun trip- enjoy.
Freddyfred
7/1/2021 5:47am
Thanks a bunch for the gas tips!

Yes, it's a haul alright. I'll start the drive from IL as I'm racing the Racer X Senior Championship at Sunset Ridge on Saturday and start driving as soon as I have packed the bike in the back. Hoping to make it to Nebraska, a 6 hour drive on the first day then 2 days of 11 hour drives through Colorado, Utah and Nevada on the way there.
Going home I'll drive through Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Kansas.

Looking forward to seeing the landscape change Smile
yak651
Fantasy
214th
7/1/2021 5:51am
Freddyfred wrote:
Thanks a bunch for the gas tips! Yes, it's a haul alright. I'll start the drive from IL as I'm racing the Racer X Senior Championship...

Yes, it's a haul alright. I'll start the drive from IL as I'm racing the Racer X Senior Championship at Sunset Ridge on Saturday and start driving as soon as I have packed the bike in the back. Hoping to make it to Nebraska, a 6 hour drive on the first day then 2 days of 11 hour drives through Colorado, Utah and Nevada on the way there.

Jealous, i like road trips. This sounds like a fun one, have a safe trip and update this thread with some pictures during your adventure.
Freddyfred
7/1/2021 6:02am
Freddyfred wrote:
Thanks a bunch for the gas tips! Yes, it's a haul alright. I'll start the drive from IL as I'm racing the Racer X Senior Championship...

yak651 wrote:
Jealous, i like road trips. This sounds like a fun one, have a safe trip and update this thread with some pictures during your adventure.
Shall do Smile
Shapi
7/1/2021 6:12am
Freddyfred wrote:

Sweet trip. If you haven't driven it before you are in for a treat! We race WORCS and NHHA all over the west and I love, crazy as it sounds all the driving. Some of the most incredible vistas you'll get anywhere! Have fun!
slowmxer
7/1/2021 7:53am
Freddy,
I am in Riverside Ca, and i ride most of those tracks.
Give me a texts , so i can meet you at the track. 714 925-4340

Robert Kong
Trig331
7/1/2021 8:19am
Sounds like a great trip, enjoy!

When coming through Colorado, make sure I70 is open through Glenwood Canyon. Been shut down a couple times due to mudslides and makes for a long detour.
Racer16
7/1/2021 8:22am
Freddyfred wrote:
Hi All I'm driving the motovan from Missouri to California and will be there from July 12-24, staying with a brother in law in Palm Springs...
Hi All

Cheers/ Fred
RichieW13 wrote:
If you want to ride on any public land, you can purchase an out-of-state permit for $30.

https://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25669

This would include Quail Canyon (Gorman) MX.
Gorman is closed right now for water issues
Freddyfred
7/1/2021 9:02am
slowmxer wrote:
Freddy, I am in Riverside Ca, and i ride most of those tracks. Give me a texts , so i can meet you at the track...
Freddy,

Robert Kong
Will do.
I won't be hard to find, high roof extended Transit with MO plates, a mullet and a weird Swedish/English/Australian accent Smile
Freddyfred
7/1/2021 9:03am
Trig331 wrote:
Sounds like a great trip, enjoy! When coming through Colorado, make sure I70 is open through Glenwood Canyon. Been shut down a couple times due to...
Sounds like a great trip, enjoy!

When coming through Colorado, make sure I70 is open through Glenwood Canyon. Been shut down a couple times due to mudslides and makes for a long detour.
Thanks yes I've been eyeing the map every day and saw the mud slide closures a few days ago. Will try and keep an eye out if any fires might be shutting down roads also.
Freddyfred
7/1/2021 9:05am
Ramrod wrote:
Can I come with?
Sure, the more the merrier.
The convoy leaves shortly after the +40 B race at Sunset Ridge, Walnut IL on July 10 Smile
PFitzG38
7/1/2021 9:29am
slowmxer wrote:
Freddy, I am in Riverside Ca, and i ride most of those tracks. Give me a texts , so i can meet you at the track...
Freddy,

Robert Kong
Robert Kong?!?? Your going to like this. It tells the story of 2007 mammoth motocross 40jr
http://www.fitzgbros.com/mmx2007.htm
slowmxer my ass! I had to wait until 2013 to finally get my bear

slowmxer
7/1/2021 6:04pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2021 6:09pm
Hi Fitz-G,
Nice write up!
We had some good races together.
I have not seen you at any of the big races .
I plan on racing the Vet Championship in Nov. Hope to see you there.
#920 on a KTM .
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
7/2/2021 8:10pm
Cahuilla Creek MX is a good track about an hour from Palm Springs. Open on Wednesday, Sat and Sunday. Definitely worth riding in my opinion.

cahuillacreekmotocross.com
wwoberg
7/3/2021 4:33am
If you have never ridden in the wide open desert, I highly suggest it. Maybe Soggy Dry Lake. If you never ridden on the beach or dunes, again, highly suggest it. Pismo.
wydopen
7/3/2021 11:08am
yzken250x wrote:
California City has a cool track
Think they close for part of the summer
hubbardmx50
7/3/2021 1:36pm
wwoberg wrote:
If you have never ridden in the wide open desert, I highly suggest it. Maybe Soggy Dry Lake. If you never ridden on the beach or...
If you have never ridden in the wide open desert, I highly suggest it. Maybe Soggy Dry Lake. If you never ridden on the beach or dunes, again, highly suggest it. Pismo.
Way too hot for any desert riding right now. And Palm Springs is about five hours away from Pismo
racer187x
7/3/2021 4:58pm
Freddyfred wrote:
Hi All

Cheers/ Fred
I'm out here in the Palm Springs area (Palm Desert). Clark's Travel Center has Sunoco race gas at the pump. 100 and 110 leaded (if I remember correctly):

Clark's Travel Center link

Cahuilla Creek is the closest, I love that track! Glamis (dunes) and Ocotillo Wells (desert) 1.5 hr drive away.

There is a Yamaha dealership in Palm Springs. They used to have KTM but haven't had them for a couple years. I try to support local business, I've tried them a couple times and would rather drive to Chaparral. I've got some tools, if you need anything let me know.

Post a reply to: California moto trip

The Latest