California MX Trip

rockyuno
5/7/2015 3:50pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2015 12:28pm
I'm planning a trip to California this year, around August

I'm going with my girlfriend so it will be my company for every plan

Plan is to go from LA (direct flight from Arg), rent a car/van/motorhome and then drive to San Francisco, trying to visit typical towns of Cali, sleeping in motels and hostels, visiting typical beaches, etc, but most important is to catch the MX culture: TLD headquarters, Chaparral, race shops where I can buy parts for my CRF, practice tracks where i can see pro's riding and official teams (I know official teams will be travelling for the outdoors, but maybe some testing).

I need to hear suggestions of where to rent a bike (it will be PERFECT to rent a RACE bike, I want to experience riding a bike here we can't afford in a real mx track), where to ride, on what days, who to contact, etc

Any experiences and suggestion are welcome.

Thanks in advance!
|
crf250pilot
5/7/2015 5:26pm
Talk to Craig at www.mxmecca.com He's hooked up plenty of friends of mine and they always had a great time. He can get you deals thru some of the big MX shops too.

seth505
Fantasy
1048th
5/7/2015 6:30pm
Your only issue is with seeing pros at tracks, they are usually down in So Cal below LA (Pala, etc) but you could head over to Comp Edge or Glen Helen perhaps before heading far north. Have fun!
Highsider
5/7/2015 6:56pm
IMO everything, except SF, is located closer to Ontario Airport. Or John Wayne Airport.
I suggest going in January - March.
rockyuno
5/7/2015 9:24pm
Thanks very much guys!

My first idea was to rent a van, then rent a race bike, and head to different tracks. Would like to ride Pala, Glen Helen and some other more (Zaca Station but I don't know where is it).

Any ideas of where to rent a race bike?

The Shop

Factoryphoto
5/8/2015 6:40am
Ive seen a guy at Pala that had some kind of mxvacation rental. I cant think of the name but I believe he said him and Tommy Searle had this business down there in Socal where you can rent a bike and even lodge at there pad.
Zaca is somewhat in between Socal and Norcal on the coast.
Not sure how long your staying but im pretty sure there is a mxgp round in September at Glen Helen.
Bluelion
5/8/2015 7:37am
You really should wait and go in September. I am going out in September to see the MXGP..
The Rock
5/8/2015 10:02am Edited Date/Time 5/8/2015 10:05am
Are there direct flights to San Fran? If you drive south the ocean is right next to you coming down Highway 1. All things being equal I would hit San Fran first then LA. I am well versed on San Fran things to do so hit me up on Facebook and I would be happy to share my insights. Excited for you guys to be going on such a cool trip.

Also just for the heck of it see how much cheaper it is to fly in and out of Las Vegas as those flights are usually MUCH cheaper than LA or San Fran.

Chaparral rents bikes too.

edit how much time do you have this trip? If you flew to Vegas Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon and the Grand Canyon could easily be added depending if you have the time.
rockyuno
5/9/2015 12:02pm
The Rock wrote:
Are there direct flights to San Fran? If you drive south the ocean is right next to you coming down Highway 1. All things being equal...
Are there direct flights to San Fran? If you drive south the ocean is right next to you coming down Highway 1. All things being equal I would hit San Fran first then LA. I am well versed on San Fran things to do so hit me up on Facebook and I would be happy to share my insights. Excited for you guys to be going on such a cool trip.

Also just for the heck of it see how much cheaper it is to fly in and out of Las Vegas as those flights are usually MUCH cheaper than LA or San Fran.

Chaparral rents bikes too.

edit how much time do you have this trip? If you flew to Vegas Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon and the Grand Canyon could easily be added depending if you have the time.
Thanks a lot guys! Taking note of every post

It would be great to be there in September, but work needs me between September and March...

Rock, there are direct flights to San Fran, so it's the same going first there. Fly in and out from the same city is cheaper, but I want to do Highway 1 as you suggested me, unless I want to do it two times, I have to arrive to LA and come back from San Fran or vice versa.

I plan to be there around 20 days.

Thanks again guys! Really appreciate your suggestions
Glory
5/9/2015 12:28pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2015 12:33pm
rockyuno wrote:
Thanks a lot guys! Taking note of every post It would be great to be there in September, but work needs me between September and March...
Thanks a lot guys! Taking note of every post

It would be great to be there in September, but work needs me between September and March...

Rock, there are direct flights to San Fran, so it's the same going first there. Fly in and out from the same city is cheaper, but I want to do Highway 1 as you suggested me, unless I want to do it two times, I have to arrive to LA and come back from San Fran or vice versa.

I plan to be there around 20 days.

Thanks again guys! Really appreciate your suggestions
Yeah you should def start the drive in San Franand go to LA. If I were you I would fly to Vegas and fly home from LA. Vegas > Death Valley > Yosemite > San Fran > PCH1 > LA & SD. Or something like that, make it a mix my "normal vacation" and MX vacation Cool

I did PCH1 last year between Glen Helen and Hangtown and that drive is a must do imo

Post a reply to: California MX Trip

The Latest