Cairoli, the only rider.....

line-up
Edited Date/Time 3/26/2018 7:50pm
....in the world to win at leat one MXGP round for 15, yes FIFTEEN, straight years!!!

And he did it on a track where he never rode before and where everybody else trained all winter.

If I recollect correctly Stefan Everts made it to 9 straight years with a GP round win.
|
3/25/2018 9:21am
line-up wrote:
....in the world to win at leat one MXGP round for 15, yes FIFTEEN, straight years!!! And he did it on a track where he never...
....in the world to win at leat one MXGP round for 15, yes FIFTEEN, straight years!!!

And he did it on a track where he never rode before and where everybody else trained all winter.

If I recollect correctly Stefan Everts made it to 9 straight years with a GP round win.
Massive Everts fan but I would struggle to argue with anyone that said Cairoli was the greatest we had ever seen in GPs, definitely a better public representative for the sport.
agn5009
3/25/2018 9:40am
He's unreal. He always seems to be able to one up everyone else. Herlings has more speed but Cairoli just has that experience, race craft, smarts so on and so fourth. He really is one of the best ever on a dirt bike.

The Shop

MXMattii
3/25/2018 10:43am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2018 10:49am
How can you put a rider on a pedestal, after all his moaning about his competitors riding dirty, when he does the same thing. How can you respect a rider who makes competitors achievements always smaller then they are. This second race: "Herlings could close the gap because I had some problem with lappers". A few years back at the GP of Belgium he races Desalle toe-to-toe and loses and then tells us in the pressroom that he gave it to him. Because winning in front of your home crowd is the nicest feeling in the world, and that he was already WC so that it didn't mater. Also his lack of respect for the history of our sport makes me sickening. Who can you adore someone who talked about coming over to the USA a million times but never did it for his fans. Someone who makes KTM kick-out teammates just because he's scared that when they are on KTM equipment they are able to beat him. Oh and then we've got that asthma thing, where they are going crazy about in cycling but nobody seems to give a shit about in other sports like motocross.

On the other hand you've Everts. He won the ISDE, went to the USA to race USSX on 250. He fought for the World Championship Supercross in 1992. He won the Nations a few time, and not always with the strongest team and he rises up against the promoter together with Pichon for the riders safety back in South Africa I think it was. Oh and he won 101GP's and 10 WC's.

kongols
3/25/2018 11:05am
MxMatii for president. I guess Tony got back his asthma medicine, lol.
3/25/2018 1:42pm
Like DV said, Cairoli is, from the statistic view, the best european rider with Everts, while Herlings is the fastest GP rider ever. Tough time for the others...
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
3/25/2018 1:50pm Edited Date/Time 3/25/2018 1:50pm
MXMattii wrote:
How can you put a rider on a pedestal, after all his moaning about his competitors riding dirty, when he does the same thing. How can...
How can you put a rider on a pedestal, after all his moaning about his competitors riding dirty, when he does the same thing. How can you respect a rider who makes competitors achievements always smaller then they are. This second race: "Herlings could close the gap because I had some problem with lappers". A few years back at the GP of Belgium he races Desalle toe-to-toe and loses and then tells us in the pressroom that he gave it to him. Because winning in front of your home crowd is the nicest feeling in the world, and that he was already WC so that it didn't mater. Also his lack of respect for the history of our sport makes me sickening. Who can you adore someone who talked about coming over to the USA a million times but never did it for his fans. Someone who makes KTM kick-out teammates just because he's scared that when they are on KTM equipment they are able to beat him. Oh and then we've got that asthma thing, where they are going crazy about in cycling but nobody seems to give a shit about in other sports like motocross.

On the other hand you've Everts. He won the ISDE, went to the USA to race USSX on 250. He fought for the World Championship Supercross in 1992. He won the Nations a few time, and not always with the strongest team and he rises up against the promoter together with Pichon for the riders safety back in South Africa I think it was. Oh and he won 101GP's and 10 WC's.

Calm down, AC222 > SE72.
BobPA
3/25/2018 1:51pm
MXMattii wrote:
How can you put a rider on a pedestal, after all his moaning about his competitors riding dirty, when he does the same thing. How can...

Cairoli bottom out your girlfriend or something?
3/25/2018 2:39pm
MXMattii wrote:

true ..typical Cairoli ..there is always something LaughingLaughing but he is so good in saying it in a certain way people dont even notice .. i quess we will hear a lot more this season
3/25/2018 2:56pm Edited Date/Time 3/25/2018 3:33pm
MXMattii wrote:

We are talking an on track accomplishment based on fact you can’t deny. What a stupid rant to throw in this thread.

And for the record, I do agree with some of the stuff you said there. But there is also a bunch of nitpicking about stuff about nothing just because you dislike him. Wrong thread for that.
RG1
3/25/2018 3:18pm
MXMattii wrote:

We put him on a pedestal because he's a genius on a motorcycle. We have currently some of the fastest young talent we have ever seen in GP's, and at the age of 32 Cairoli is still the guy to beat. You've given 2 examples out of what is almost a 15 year career. No question you could look back on Everts career and find similar things that he said/did and you could 100% find things he did after his career that are worse, his handling if Herlings as KTM team boss comes to mind. If Cairoli was scared of riders being faster than him on the same team then he wouldn't have signed a contract extension with Herlings on the team. There isn't anyone KTM have had, besides Herlings, who could have beaten him anyway. To me, I rank him above Everts. He has 1 less world title but could very well equal that this year or even break his record in the coming years. He's about 15/20 GP wins down on Everts but Everts' win tally is a little bit false anyway given that there was a season where he could win multiple GP's per round. Both are legends of the sport, but for me Cairoli has surpassed Everts
themrtoad
3/25/2018 3:22pm
I don’t count MX3 as high as MX1/MX2. So I therefore give Cairoli the upper hand statistically. They are both legends though
3/25/2018 3:23pm
Cairoli bearing Herlings right now is amazing. Cairoli is the guy to beat this year, the first three tracks favored Herlings riding style and they are even in points.
plowboy
3/25/2018 3:37pm
I thought Tony was an arrogant dickhead when he first came on the scene...but I thought that about Carmichael at times , as well. I've come to love this guy. He's an old school kinda champ. He totally respects the sport and respects/comports himself accordingly. (Think F1). Not unlike Roger D. I think the language/translation thing causes issues that are unfortunate from an American perspective. DV has had the same issues....wait....DV really IS a dickhead...WoohooSilly
MXMattii
3/25/2018 3:39pm
RG1 wrote:
We put him on a pedestal because he's a genius on a motorcycle. We have currently some of the fastest young talent we have ever seen...
We put him on a pedestal because he's a genius on a motorcycle. We have currently some of the fastest young talent we have ever seen in GP's, and at the age of 32 Cairoli is still the guy to beat. You've given 2 examples out of what is almost a 15 year career. No question you could look back on Everts career and find similar things that he said/did and you could 100% find things he did after his career that are worse, his handling if Herlings as KTM team boss comes to mind. If Cairoli was scared of riders being faster than him on the same team then he wouldn't have signed a contract extension with Herlings on the team. There isn't anyone KTM have had, besides Herlings, who could have beaten him anyway. To me, I rank him above Everts. He has 1 less world title but could very well equal that this year or even break his record in the coming years. He's about 15/20 GP wins down on Everts but Everts' win tally is a little bit false anyway given that there was a season where he could win multiple GP's per round. Both are legends of the sport, but for me Cairoli has surpassed Everts
Lets agree that we disagree. Because it's more then those two things, I picked those two just to show his way to talk down about his opponents. Last weekend in Valkenswaard he said: "Herlings too me back, but yeah I wasn't a lot in Belgium or Holland so I didn't train a lot in the sand this year". Just look it up.
themrtoad
3/25/2018 3:55pm
MXMattii wrote:
Lets agree that we disagree. Because it's more then those two things, I picked those two just to show his way to talk down about his...
Lets agree that we disagree. Because it's more then those two things, I picked those two just to show his way to talk down about his opponents. Last weekend in Valkenswaard he said: "Herlings too me back, but yeah I wasn't a lot in Belgium or Holland so I didn't train a lot in the sand this year". Just look it up.
I agree that AC is like that in most interviews. He’s competitive and don’t want his opponents to get the upper hand on him. I find it childish as well but can’t see the big deal about it? It’s certainly not a dealbreaker for me. On the other hand I like most of the riders
plowboy
3/25/2018 3:59pm
MXMattii wrote:
Lets agree that we disagree. Because it's more then those two things, I picked those two just to show his way to talk down about his...
Mattie, you're a sensible fella. AC lost and they asked him why. He said he didn't train in the sand this year. He could have said, "Herlings is just too damn fast...I'm gonna take up knitting". As we have seen....He hasn't had a lot of trouble with non-sand tracks. Herrings is destined to be a great champion but let's not throw AC in the gravebox just yet.
MXMattii
3/25/2018 4:02pm
themrtoad wrote:
I agree that AC is like that in most interviews. He’s competitive and don’t want his opponents to get the upper hand on him. I find...
I agree that AC is like that in most interviews. He’s competitive and don’t want his opponents to get the upper hand on him. I find it childish as well but can’t see the big deal about it? It’s certainly not a dealbreaker for me. On the other hand I like most of the riders
Back when my fellow countrymen Desalle fought with him, I started to notice it. Probably he does it only to find a reason why he lost and to make the loss more comfortable in his mind. But back then it also started to annoy me because, why can't he be like: "Well done bro, you were clearly better today, on a different level even". And then go the the DiCarli truck and tell that kind of story to Jill/Claudio/... to make his loss bearable, to analyze it.
Motofinne
3/25/2018 4:11pm
Go back to the interview after Patagonia. Cairoli admits he got beat by the better rider, not many would do that.
Frank
3/25/2018 5:14pm
Big fan of Cairoli but if he wants the future of GP Motocross to be flat fields w/man made obstacles I hope Herlings drives him into the ground this year.
ti473
3/25/2018 5:35pm
plowboy wrote:
I thought Tony was an arrogant dickhead when he first came on the scene...but I thought that about Carmichael at times , as well. I've come...
I thought Tony was an arrogant dickhead when he first came on the scene...but I thought that about Carmichael at times , as well. I've come to love this guy. He's an old school kinda champ. He totally respects the sport and respects/comports himself accordingly. (Think F1). Not unlike Roger D. I think the language/translation thing causes issues that are unfortunate from an American perspective. DV has had the same issues....wait....DV really IS a dickhead...WoohooSilly
Not unlike Roger D. I think the language/translation thing causes issues that are unfortunate from an American perspective
Agree 100%. People put certain things that non-native English speaking riders say under a microscope sometimes, without realizing the cultural and language differences. As someone who's lived on both sides of the pond I can totally see how things may just sound a little weird when translated. Ever listen to Valentino being interviewed in English?
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
3/25/2018 6:11pm
themrtoad wrote:
I agree that AC is like that in most interviews. He’s competitive and don’t want his opponents to get the upper hand on him. I find...
MXMattii wrote:
Back when my fellow countrymen Desalle fought with him, I started to notice it. Probably he does it only to find a reason why he lost...
Back when my fellow countrymen Desalle fought with him, I started to notice it. Probably he does it only to find a reason why he lost and to make the loss more comfortable in his mind. But back then it also started to annoy me because, why can't he be like: "Well done bro, you were clearly better today, on a different level even". And then go the the DiCarli truck and tell that kind of story to Jill/Claudio/... to make his loss bearable, to analyze it.
By saying that he would kind of put himself into a mental hole that he will have to climb out of in the break before his home GP.
It's always easier to find excuses than admitting defeat. Easier mentally that is.

No big deal.
Drtbykr
3/25/2018 6:17pm
Keys to the race.

1. Start

He has those down.
Nuffsaid
3/25/2018 6:45pm
Watch Antonio whhile in the paddock, not one person in the circus has a bad word to say about him. A true Champion and ambassador for the sport world wide
motogrady
3/25/2018 7:16pm
"On the other hand you've Everts. He won the ISDE, went to the USA to race USSX on 250. He fought for the World Championship Supercross in 1992. He won the Nations a few time, and not always with the strongest team and he rises up against the promoter together with Pichon for the riders safety back in South Africa I think it was. Oh and he won 101GP's and 10 WC's."

And the guy that won 3 GPs in one day. 125. 250. Open. In one day.

Post a reply to: Cairoli, the only rider.....

The Latest