Cairoli on his two back to back wins, Herlings, Valentino Rossi

line-up
MXLarge: Antonio, how did you feel last weekend?

Cairoli: I felt really good, it’s the first time I’ve won in Portugal with KTM, so I’m really happy with that, and it’s also the first time that I’ve won two races (GPs) in a row this year.

MXLarge: How did you feel in the opening moto?

Cairoli: In the first moto, after a really good start, I was struggling a little bit as I just couldn’t find a good rhythm and Jeffrey, who was faster in some sections of the track, passed me. After a period of chasing him down I started to feel a bit tired and he managed to pull a good gap on me, despite my best efforts. Eventually I started to feel better and I managed to close in on him, but it was too late to try for the victory.

MXlarge: And the second moto?

Cairoli: In the second moto I was feeling good, I found some better lines and did my best to pull away. By two thirds distance I had a decent gap that, happily, I was able to manage until the finish line. I’m really pleased with how the Championship is going and I’m looking forward to the races that are coming up soon.

MXLarge: What will you do between now and Loket?

Cairoli: Now I will take a week of rest and then we will be training and testing on the hard pack in Italy, before heading to Loket at the end of the month. My thoughts go to my family and to all the people that live in my home town of Patti, that suffered a disastrous fire during the week.

MXlarge: I am not sure how you saw the weekend before in Italy, but to me I think it was a pretty special moment in your career, because you fought off the young lion (Jeffrey Herlings) and was able to fight him off. How did you feel?

Cairoli: No, it was not really a special moment. It’s a race like the other ones. He is one opponent just like the others. For sure he is a good sand rider and its good we could fight there. Its normally a good track for him, but also for me, because I like soft ground.

MXlarge: I remember two years ago, when you were in the middle of your two years of injury. A lot of us wrote you off, me included, but you said to me we haven’t seen the best of Antonio Cairoli. Are we seeing the best Antonio Cairoli now, or is the best to come?

Cairoli: No, it is still coming. For sure we are leading the championship, so we can not to strange or stupid things, so we cannot go on the limit, we cannot risk anything. We are on a good level, but for sure we are not on the limit.

MXlarge: But is this the best Antonio Cairoli until now? Better than 2005, or 2009, or all those other years?

Cairoli: It’s always better. I think you must improve, otherwise you can better stop. If you don’t grow, you go backwards and I always want to grow, I want to improve, otherwise I stop. If I have to ride for fifth, sixth or eighth place, then I stop. While I am still fighting for the win, that means I am still growing, because the others are also growing, every year they get better.

MXlarge: Watching Ottobiano unfold I was thinking maybe Jeffrey was waiting to pounce, but when he did it seemed that you were actually waiting to make your break. Was your plan to let him think he was going to be able to get you and then run away?

Cairoli: It’s just, I have some experience, for some years. He is younger than me and he has less experience. Sometimes you need to see what others are doing, why they are catching you, maybe he had better lines, so for me it was important to watch what he was doing and why was he fast in some spots. I wasn’t waiting, just wanting to see what he had in the tank.

MXlarge: How important is the mental side, maybe more than 50%?

Cairoli: I think the mental side is very important. You can be the most talented guy, or the most trained rider, but mentally, you need to know yourself, you need to know your limits and that is very important, to know when you can push.

MXlarge: Everybody things Jeffrey is the next big thing, the guy to replace you when you stop. You have been the guy for the last 12 years. What do you think?

Cairoli: I think he is a good rider, a big talent, a lot of championships. To be a champion you need a lot of things, you need to be fast, you need to be talented, like I said before, you need a lot of stuff. I hope for him he has these things and if he doesn’t have it, he can develop these things. Maybe we can have good battles for the years I am still riding. Then after he can fight with other guys. Tim, he is also very fast, a good talent, he is also very young. For the long future, its Tim and Jeffrey, they are the guys for the future and the fights.

MXlarge: Just two more questions. Trentino, and Ottobiano, two Italian GP’s and two special performances, also a lot of support from your countrymen. It’s like the Italian crowds are the best crowds. It used to be the French or the British, but the Italian crowds are just amazing when you win. How does that feel for you, do you get emotional?

Cairoli: Yes, for sure I get emotional. I like that the motocross grows so much in Italy and also the whole of Europe. I do my best to deal with the other media, outside of motocross, and from other sports or not even from sports. It is important that all the riders do this and open their mind to the social media, and other media. If we can’t have it via television, then we need to expose ourselves to this. It isn’t nice they show the snooker, but motocross is a special sport. I think television can be better, but we all do our best.

MXlarge: Last question. Your friend and also a legend in his sport Valentino Rossi is proving he can continue to win, winning in Assen the same day you won in Ottobiano. I think he is like 38 or something. How much motivation do you get from him, and how much respect do you have for such a legend in his own sport?

Cairoli: We always have a chat after the races. He is a good example for me, because he also never gives up and he put a lot of effort to make MotoGP as big as possible, because for sure without him, it isn’t as big as it is with him. For sure you can ride longer in MotoGP while motocross is physically demanding but mentally, that is tough in both sports and mentally he is very strong and everyone can learn from him.
|
DanDunes818
7/4/2017 11:49am
Sorry guys, I have to say something. A bunch of people here post about not liking MXGeoff and how they'll never read his site, but people scrape his content and put it here all the time.

Why would you post a whole interview instead of the norm of providing a link? Love or hate Geoff, this is not cool no matter how you shape it. I get it, you want people to read this, but people should have to go there to read it despite their so-called "hate." Maybe post an excerpt with a link to make your point but scraping whole interviews is wrong on so many levels.

You never see any other sites full interview posted here and I doubt the moderators would be okay with it.
Rowlands
7/4/2017 12:11pm
This is why I'm a huge Cairoli fan he is the Current KING of GP motocross. Hopefully Jeffrey will learn from Cairoli and not turn there battles into a bitch fight. I think they actually respect each other quite a lot although they may have personality clash
toroP
7/4/2017 2:03pm
Sorry guys, I have to say something. A bunch of people here post about not liking MXGeoff and how they'll never read his site, but people...
Sorry guys, I have to say something. A bunch of people here post about not liking MXGeoff and how they'll never read his site, but people scrape his content and put it here all the time.

Why would you post a whole interview instead of the norm of providing a link? Love or hate Geoff, this is not cool no matter how you shape it. I get it, you want people to read this, but people should have to go there to read it despite their so-called "hate." Maybe post an excerpt with a link to make your point but scraping whole interviews is wrong on so many levels.

You never see any other sites full interview posted here and I doubt the moderators would be okay with it.
Don't apologize. Good post.
Lester
7/4/2017 2:11pm
Sorry guys, I have to say something. A bunch of people here post about not liking MXGeoff and how they'll never read his site, but people...

Why should people have to go there if they don't want to?

The Shop

agn5009
7/4/2017 2:37pm

Lester wrote:
They don't. If you don't want to read an article that a journalist wrote then don't click a link if posted. It's that simple. I'm critical of Geoff and the nonsense he spews about riders from the USA but he does interview the GP guys really well.

Anyways, Tony is awesome. A true legend who has a true desire for the sport.
tobz
7/4/2017 2:39pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2017 2:47pm

Lester wrote:
Because you've read the content that the website had paid to produce, without giving something in return that essentially allows the website to continue to give you more content in the future - website clicks and advert exposure.

You've basically read a magazine in the store then put it back on the shelf.
RG1
7/4/2017 2:57pm

I agree with you. Most people here will not click on a link to MX Geoff's site, so that's why people copy and paste interviews. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I guess MXGeoff annoyed that many people here and so he can't expect them to give his site any support
7/4/2017 3:35pm

x2 Forced to agree with you.
Motofinne
7/4/2017 3:39pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2017 4:41pm
I have to agree. I don't read MXLarge but copy & pasting articles/interviews that are supposed to provide a living is not cool.

At least put the link to the article so anyone that liked it can provide with a click. I think that is fair.
Lester
7/4/2017 3:57pm

Lester wrote:
tobz wrote:
Because you've read the content that the website had paid to produce, without giving something in return that essentially allows the website to continue to give...
Because you've read the content that the website had paid to produce, without giving something in return that essentially allows the website to continue to give you more content in the future - website clicks and advert exposure.

I take it that none of you have ever watched a stream of a race that's not the official one, or never watched uploaded YouTube videos then?
tobz
7/4/2017 4:03pm
Lester wrote:
tobz wrote:
Because you've read the content that the website had paid to produce, without giving something in return that essentially allows the website to continue to give...

Lester wrote:
I take it that none of you have ever watched a stream of a race that's not the official one, or never watched uploaded YouTube videos...
I take it that none of you have ever watched a stream of a race that's not the official one, or never watched uploaded YouTube videos then?
Only when they weren't available in my country. For anything else I have foxtel or paid subscriptions services. Fwiw they're slightly different apples when your comparing paid content to easily available free stuff, why steal free shit?
7/4/2017 4:08pm
On one hand I agree you should give the guys site the clicks if it's his interview, but on the other hand MXGeoff has created this for himself. Peoples opinion of him and his site is no ones fault but his own.
7/4/2017 4:09pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2017 4:10pm
tobz wrote:
Only when they weren't available in my country. For anything else I have foxtel or paid subscriptions services. Fwiw they're slightly different apples when your comparing...
Only when they weren't available in my country. For anything else I have foxtel or paid subscriptions services. Fwiw they're slightly different apples when your comparing paid content to easily available free stuff, why steal free shit?
Explain to me how one would go about stealing something that is free on our nations free-est of free days.
tobz
7/4/2017 4:12pm
tobz wrote:
Only when they weren't available in my country. For anything else I have foxtel or paid subscriptions services. Fwiw they're slightly different apples when your comparing...
Explain to me how one would go about stealing something that is free on our nations free-est of free days.
Free in terms of dollars. But it does cost you a CLICK.

7/4/2017 4:26pm
tobz wrote:
tobz wrote:

Also, I don't know if his stuff is copyrighted or not. For his sake I would hope so.
tobz
7/4/2017 4:41pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2017 4:41pm
tobz wrote:

Also, I don't know if his stuff is copyrighted or not. For his sake I would hope so.
Eh I think that'd only he a concern if the OP was profiting from copying/pasting the article.

This is just robbing the authors website of clicks, and in turn, revenue.

Getting OT anyway, the OP could easily edit his post and replace the interview with a link. We could get beck to talking about how Cairoli is aging like a fine wine.
Bearuno
7/4/2017 9:30pm Edited Date/Time 7/5/2017 5:55am
He's a pretty shithouse interviewer. Listen to sound cloud audios from MXGeoff and you'd never think he's been doing it for a few decades now. But, then again, Matthes can leave me wondering at times, too. But, far less often, I have to say.

I like how, with every interview with the old hands of MX GP (and the younger ones at times), he so often tries for the type of page 3 / tabloid paper type sensationalist question, and they just shut him down - eg:

"MXlarge: I am not sure how you saw the weekend before in Italy, but to me I think it was a pretty special moment in your career, because you fought off the young lion (Jeffrey Herlings) and was able to fight him off. How did you feel?

Cairoli: No, it was not really a special moment. It’s a race like the other ones. He is one opponent just like the others. For sure he is a good sand rider and its good we could fight there. Its normally a good track for him, but also for me, because I like soft ground."

And, there's a few other examples of it in the interview.

I go to his website, and many other 'Euro' based websites, to get as much info as possible, but, as I said above, he so often seems to try way to hard to get things said, that don't need to be said, or, indeed, don't exist.

The blokes a bizarre puzzle, that's for sure. So many other Euro sites and journalists, do it so much better than him, but I daresay his being very much a Luongo LapDog, for so very long, keeps him comfortable.

Post a reply to: Cairoli on his two back to back wins, Herlings, Valentino Rossi

The Latest