CTI Custom or POD K8 Knee Braces?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/17/2019 8:30 AM

Coming back after ACL surgery and Insurance (woohoo) is paying for 100% of my braces and I have the option of either the custom CTI's or Pod K8's braces. The POD braces have always served me well, but the idea of getting custom braces is appealing.

How do they compare in terms of fit and durability to one another, has anyone had both? What are the downsides with the CTI's?

|

1/17/2019 8:35 AM

I've been running CTI's for maybe 4 years now. They offer a referb program, I send them in every 2 seasons and come back like new. Still fit like a glove.

|

1/17/2019 8:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2019 9:25 AM

I didn't like the pods because there is no depth adjustment, the hinge sits too far forward of my knee joint. Also, I'm not sold on the ligament hinge system. My knee already has ligaments, which tear, that's why I want a knee brace that doesn't allow for that movement. I would just make sure you can try on a pair first, I tried on 3 sizes and couldn't find any that fit my messed up knees.

I also tried on the mobius braces and to me they were the most comfortable, but again I couldn't get them to fit correctly. My knee wouldn't fit into a medium and the tendon back plate wasn't tight enough on the back of my thigh in a large.

I had a cti years ago and it worked great but had limited protection. I think I may try an asterisk next, but none of my dealers carry one so I may just have to order them and see.

|

1/17/2019 9:49 AM

I've gone through a ton of knee braces over the years. Currently have custom DonJoys. The Pods are the best off the self knee braces in my opinion.

|

1/17/2019 10:01 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

I've been running CTI's for maybe 4 years now. They offer a referb program, I send them in every 2 seasons and come back like new. Still fit like a glove.

I have a CTI fitting in about an hour - hoping to like them a lot more than my 10 year old asterisk braces. Good to hear about the refurb program.

|

1/17/2019 12:26 PM

mxbrian15 wrote:

I've gone through a ton of knee braces over the years. Currently have custom DonJoys. The Pods are the best off the self knee braces in my opinion.

Do you wear the don joys for moto? Can you get them with a patella cup?

|

1/17/2019 2:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2019 2:13 PM

I'm in the same boat as the original poster. I think if your getting 100% coverage you would be silly not to go with custom fitted braces.

|

1/17/2019 2:20 PM

I had Ctis, now have pods. I like the pods better but always carry extra ligaments in your gear bag. I blow those things out all the time.

|

1/17/2019 2:53 PM

mxbrian15 wrote:

I've gone through a ton of knee braces over the years. Currently have custom DonJoys. The Pods are the best off the self knee braces in my opinion.

coastlinecascot wrote:

Do you wear the don joys for moto? Can you get them with a patella cup?

Yes and yes.

|

1/17/2019 2:58 PM

I have custom DonJoys (both left and right knees) and absolutely love them as I was previously wearing EVS AXIS knee braces for many years before these. I did not have CTI's as an option from my doctor but I can't complain at all for getting what they offered me and totally happy with the custom DonJoys.

I had purchased the DonJoy patella cups online and they work like a champ without any issues.

|

1/17/2019 3:01 PM

tk2stroke wrote:

Coming back after ACL surgery and Insurance (woohoo) is paying for 100% of my braces and I have the option of either the custom CTI's or Pod K8's braces. The POD braces have always served me well, but the idea of getting custom braces is appealing.

How do they compare in terms of fit and durability to one another, has anyone had both? What are the downsides with the CTI's?

Definitely get the CTI's. There is a reason why they cost like 5K a piece. The only downside to the CTI's is that they are perfectly molded to your legs, so if you do lose or gain a large amount of weight in you leg area then you may need new ones.

|

1/17/2019 4:06 PM

mxbrian15 wrote:

I've gone through a ton of knee braces over the years. Currently have custom DonJoys. The Pods are the best off the self knee braces in my opinion.

What are your thoughts on the DJ patella, good protection?

|

1/17/2019 4:08 PM

BoostPastU wrote:

Definitely get the CTI's. There is a reason why they cost like 5K a piece. The only downside to the CTI's is that they are perfectly molded to your legs, so if you do lose or gain a large amount of weight in you leg area then you may need new ones.

No worries there, the only fluctuation happens above the waist line ;-)

|

1/17/2019 4:11 PM

ACBraap wrote:

I have a CTI fitting in about an hour - hoping to like them a lot more than my 10 year old asterisk braces. Good to hear about the refurb program.

My 5 year old POD's have been excellent and it's making the decision to go to CTI uncertain. So I go custom CTI, or just stay with what I know with the K8.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the brace when you get them. I hear you can get them in as little as 5 days after the fitting.

|

1/17/2019 4:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2019 4:31 PM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

I've been running CTI's for maybe 4 years now. They offer a referb program, I send them in every 2 seasons and come back like new. Still fit like a glove.

ACBraap wrote:

I have a CTI fitting in about an hour - hoping to like them a lot more than my 10 year old asterisk braces. Good to hear about the refurb program.

tk2stroke wrote:

My 5 year old POD's have been excellent and it's making the decision to go to CTI uncertain. So I go custom CTI, or just stay with what I know with the K8.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the brace when you get them. I hear you can get them in as little as 5 days after the fitting.

I have them. CTI off the shelf fit, with some adjustment by the fitter, so I had them today. From what they told me (Synergy was the company Ossur sent me to), they require a prescription to get them, but they don't automatically do custom unless the fit of off the shelf doesn't work. He made it sound like there's not a lot of difference with custom, mostly a slightly more slim frame where the upper and lower straps attach. I'm pumped on the braces, but keep in mind I'm comparing to much older asterisk braces. To feel very solid, yet don't hinder movement nearly as much. To me, they allow me to bend my knee more easily. The stop that prevents hyperextension is really solid. There is a noticeable difference in how easily they fit into my boots (great part about having the rep come by - did the fit in my living room and had my boots right there) The advantage of the rep doing fitting was his expertise in how they should fit - big example being I'd have looked at the chart and ordered XL. Instead, I'm in larges with the pads changed out for some slimmer ones. Haven't ridden with them yet of course.

the rep described the custom process just like BoostPastU says. They measure your leg, and then make a model, then make the brace to fit the model. They definitely downplayed the benefits of custom over off the shelf though, which is kind of weird, other than with a high deductible HSA plan I was effectively paying myself since its under the deductible so there wasn't an insurance company to milk.

|

1/17/2019 4:30 PM

mxbrian15 wrote:

I've gone through a ton of knee braces over the years. Currently have custom DonJoys. The Pods are the best off the self knee braces in my opinion.

coastlinecascot wrote:

Do you wear the don joys for moto? Can you get them with a patella cup?

mxbrian15 wrote:

Yes and yes.

Great, I heard of these. I never thought they would be used in mx. I have meniscus damage in my right inner knee. Its almost gone. I'm using astericks ultra cells and they are in need of replacement.

|

1/17/2019 7:01 PM

mxbrian15 wrote:

I've gone through a ton of knee braces over the years. Currently have custom DonJoys. The Pods are the best off the self knee braces in my opinion.

tk2stroke wrote:

What are your thoughts on the DJ patella, good protection?

It is very protective. It provides knee and shin protection. They only expose portion is between just above the top of the knee and thigh. About 3 inches.

|

1/17/2019 7:03 PM

coastlinecascot wrote:

Do you wear the don joys for moto? Can you get them with a patella cup?

mxbrian15 wrote:

Yes and yes.

coastlinecascot wrote:

Great, I heard of these. I never thought they would be used in mx. I have meniscus damage in my right inner knee. Its almost gone. I'm using astericks ultra cells and they are in need of replacement.

Brett Metcalf and Antonio Cairoli used to be their two main MX athletes. Not sure who else in MX wears them. DonJoy and CTI are definitely the best in the business, POD is the best off the shelf in my opinion. They DonJoys are ridiculously comfortable. There is a reason almost every lineman in football wears them.

|

1/18/2019 12:46 AM

I've had CTI's for the last 10 years and recently switched to the new POD K8 braces. For me the fit is much better and the fastening system is amazing. Really are so so comfy and cannot rate them highly enough. I see no need for custom CTI's for $$$ more money when these are simply this good off-the-shelf.

|

www.90smotocross.com

Instagram - @90sMotocross
Facebook - 90s Motocross

1/18/2019 4:36 AM

What about the new asterisk Ultra Cell with the boa system ? I've been thinking about getting one of those

|

1/18/2019 9:32 AM

chuckdavies wrote:

I've had CTI's for the last 10 years and recently switched to the new POD K8 braces. For me the fit is much better and the fastening system is amazing. Really are so so comfy and cannot rate them highly enough. I see no need for custom CTI's for $$$ more money when these are simply this good off-the-shelf.

How old were your most recent CTI's?

I'm going to hit up a dealer next week and try the K8's. While a custom fit with CTI sounds great, my legs fit into most standard brace sizing very well. I suppose the benefit of going off the shelf is that if my leg size changes with weight fluctuation, off the shelf K8's will be more accommodating.

If the CTI's are not clearly better braces, I'm leaning towards going back to POD

|

1/18/2019 9:35 AM

ACBraap wrote:

I have them. CTI off the shelf fit, with some adjustment by the fitter, so I had them today. From what they told me (Synergy was the company Ossur sent me to), they require a prescription to get them, but they don't automatically do custom unless the fit of off the shelf doesn't work. He made it sound like there's not a lot of difference with custom, mostly a slightly more slim frame where the upper and lower straps attach. I'm pumped on the braces, but keep in mind I'm comparing to much older asterisk braces. To feel very solid, yet don't hinder movement nearly as much. To me, they allow me to bend my knee more easily. The stop that prevents hyperextension is really solid. There is a noticeable difference in how easily they fit into my boots (great part about having the rep come by - did the fit in my living room and had my boots right there) The advantage of the rep doing fitting was his expertise in how they should fit - big example being I'd have looked at the chart and ordered XL. Instead, I'm in larges with the pads changed out for some slimmer ones. Haven't ridden with them yet of course.

the rep described the custom process just like BoostPastU says. They measure your leg, and then make a model, then make the brace to fit the model. They definitely downplayed the benefits of custom over off the shelf though, which is kind of weird, other than with a high deductible HSA plan I was effectively paying myself since its under the deductible so there wasn't an insurance company to milk.

Custom braces for people with odd shape legs probably are of great benefit, but for normal blokes I wonder whether there are any benefits.

|

10/19/2019 10:11 PM

Can someone post a phone number for the cti refurbish? I own a custom cti brace that desperately needs it. I hace tried the email with no luck.

|

10/20/2019 8:12 AM

Ossur America
27051 Towne Centre Drive
Foothill Ranch, CA 92610
Suite 100
USA

Tel: 800-233-6263
Tel: 949-382-3883
Fax: 800-831-3160
ossurusa@ossur.com

|