CTI 2 Patella Cup issue

G-man
Edited Date/Time 11/4/2014 6:40pm
Ok I know this has been discussed before but now that my knee has a nice shade of purple and red I need to address it before the w/e.

It really sux that a $1000.00 knee brace has a 50 cent knee cup! Angry

I know there was talk about a re-design but I heard those were crappy too.

So I know some of you have put in different pads but I want to know how did you attach them. Any pics?

Thanks

|
mx918
2/16/2010 8:28am Edited Date/Time 2/16/2010 8:28am
I just switched to Asterisk. The knee cup on the Asterisks are a lot more durable and they cover above and beneath the knee cap too. I've had the top of my knee hit the bars too many times wearing the CTI's.
dirthead1
2/16/2010 8:37am
G-man wrote:
Ok I know this has been discussed before but now that my knee has a nice shade of purple and red I need to address it...
Ok I know this has been discussed before but now that my knee has a nice shade of purple and red I need to address it before the w/e.

So I know some of you have put in different pads but I want to know how did you attach them. Any pics?

Thanks

I use the OTS version of the CTi.

I used these and parts from these to get better impact protection.

I zip tied the top half of the hinged AXO guard to to the top part of the brace. The patellar protective cup mounts right onto the brace at the condial supports.

I can send a picture later if you want.
Shorty29
2/16/2010 9:29am
The CTI 2's are the best. Order another set of the stock knee cups. Put the top cup above the original by sliding the mounting slits through the second to top strap. Slide the bottom tongue of the knee guard through the bottom knee guard and then you have double the coverage. Been doing it for years after Tom Carson showed me the trick. If I confused you let me know and I could try to load a picture of mine.
TJ 755
2/16/2010 9:33am
Shorty29 wrote:
The CTI 2's are the best. Order another set of the stock knee cups. Put the top cup above the original by sliding the mounting slits...
The CTI 2's are the best. Order another set of the stock knee cups. Put the top cup above the original by sliding the mounting slits through the second to top strap. Slide the bottom tongue of the knee guard through the bottom knee guard and then you have double the coverage. Been doing it for years after Tom Carson showed me the trick. If I confused you let me know and I could try to load a picture of mine.
Hows the hoof!!!

The Shop

Shorty29
2/16/2010 9:34am
Purple and Yellow but still there...
easy_e
2/16/2010 9:35am
Damn is that the real shorty weighing in here? If so that's pretty sweet!
Foster576
2/16/2010 9:40am
Shorty29 wrote:
The CTI 2's are the best. Order another set of the stock knee cups. Put the top cup above the original by sliding the mounting slits...
stfu noob! Had to throw that in there. I have CTI2's and absolutley love them but I never modified the knee cap at all. If you could show a picture of it Id love to see it and do it to mine. Im tired of the top of my knee getting smashed by the bars. Heal up quick Shorty! Cant wait to see you back out there!
agency399
2/16/2010 9:40am
Man I have been trying to figure out how to get that cup strapped to brace too. Thanks Shorty.....
Shorty29
2/16/2010 9:43am
Im Really bored sitting on the couch and I saw the thing about the knee braces and wanted to help a brother out. Signed up to kill some time. Check out my website if you want to see some pictures of the foot on my new video because I have no clue how to post pictures!
Shorty29
2/16/2010 9:46am
Later today I will try and post a picture of the braces but I'm posted out on the couch right now. Can't really move because I am hooked up to a machine.
c3011
2/16/2010 9:47am
Shorty29 wrote:
Later today I will try and post a picture of the braces but I'm posted out on the couch right now. Can't really move because I...
Later today I will try and post a picture of the braces but I'm posted out on the couch right now. Can't really move because I am hooked up to a machine.
Great to have you here Andrew! Man you must be board if you are hanging out here. lol
kwebster447
2/16/2010 10:12am
Thanks for the tip Andrew! It's great to get some REAL pro insight into things. I'm looking to get braces right now and its been difficult to really get down to which ones to go with, especially between asterisk and cti2. I know some pros wear asterisk, or claim to, and others like yourself have been wearing cti2s for years. It just feels like a lot of the time top pros are just giving their opinion based on their paycheck. Thanks for the honest opinion! Heal up quick, looking forward to seeing you haul ass at thunder valley again this year! (maybe twice this year!)
CamP
2/16/2010 11:06am
I added a cut down hip pad to the the top of my CTi2 patella cup because the stocker leaves half your knee cap exposed when your leg is bent.

Shorty29
2/16/2010 11:27am
Asterisk are the best option for most people. G-man already had CTI 2s and I didn't want him to get bummed on them. I have used both and if I had to spend my own money I would buy the asterisk. I like Cam p's invention. Im going to the dr and when I get back I will post a picture.
dl117
Fantasy
2587th
2/16/2010 11:44am
Cool I would like to see a pic of this set up Shorty, I have the same complaints and everyone else......the top of the knee is exposed and gets banged up.
Racer92
2/16/2010 11:49am
Hey Andrew, is Jacki gonna ever run some scrambles with us again? I raced with her at Goertz Ranch several years ago, but havent seen her out in the woods since. Tell that fast woman of yours to throw on some gear and come smack some trees with us in TORCs.

Sorry about the thread hi-jack.
G-man
2/16/2010 2:31pm
Shorty29 wrote:
Asterisk are the best option for most people. G-man already had CTI 2s and I didn't want him to get bummed on them. I have used...
Asterisk are the best option for most people. G-man already had CTI 2s and I didn't want him to get bummed on them. I have used both and if I had to spend my own money I would buy the asterisk. I like Cam p's invention. Im going to the dr and when I get back I will post a picture.
Thanks for the reply Shorty. If you could post a pic of that double protection that would be great! Smile

Hope you're doing better. Bummer too as you were looking good when it happened.

Yes CamP's idea is looking good.

Thanks
aedwards07
2/16/2010 3:13pm
As I look at these black and blue marks on both my knees, I cant wait to see this double kneecap idea for the CTIs.
Highsider
2/16/2010 3:32pm
CamP wrote:
I added a cut down hip pad to the the top of my CTi2 patella cup because the stocker leaves half your knee cap exposed when...
I added a cut down hip pad to the the top of my CTi2 patella cup because the stocker leaves half your knee cap exposed when your leg is bent.

Cam, you are a thinker!

Waiting for Andrew's invention, then I can decide.

I love my Cti2 braces.
feeble
2/16/2010 4:40pm
heres my vote

http://www.kneebracesonline.com/product_image.php?imageid=118

breg makes an awesome knee brace. i've owned cti2's, asterisks, and the new podmx's now. i was prescribed a breg x2k custom, which is made from tempered aluminum. its as light as the podmx k700 and more comfortable. it is a little bulkier tho. however; the patella cap is by far better than any other i've seen from these mfgr's.
i've set my podmx opposite brace with the other breg patella cap. its a little expensive ($45), but is real protection. btw, they'll fit just about any hinged knee brace.
CamP
2/16/2010 4:46pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2010 4:47pm
Thanks. They say that necessity is the mother of invention. I went for years banging my knees on the bars, but after rear ending a guy that stalled his bike in front of me and ramming my exposed knee into his muffler, I had to figure something out. I have a stack of unused hip pads that I've been saving for some unknown reason and they finally came in handy for something.
BobbyM
2/16/2010 4:56pm
G-man wrote:
Ok I know this has been discussed before but now that my knee has a nice shade of purple and red I need to address it...

Thanks

we can get a money basket passed around if you need it gary...those new CTI's aren't cheap.
feeble
2/16/2010 5:03pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2010 5:05pm
when i was finally fitted for a custom brace; i told the ortho guy that i had several pairs of "off the shelf" or used (cti2's from ebay) braces and he flat out told me that if a brace isnt made for your leg, it will hold your knee in an awkward position and will make the likelihood of soft tissue injury greater. my doc also said that if you have no acl, bracing it will only help you in single digit percentages against further damage.
cobra314
2/16/2010 5:12pm
feeble wrote:
heres my vote http://www.kneebracesonline.com/product_image.php?imageid=118 breg makes an awesome knee brace. i've owned cti2's, asterisks, and the new podmx's now. i was prescribed a breg x2k custom...
heres my vote

breg makes an awesome knee brace. i've owned cti2's, asterisks, and the new podmx's now. i was prescribed a breg x2k custom, which is made from tempered aluminum. its as light as the podmx k700 and more comfortable. it is a little bulkier tho. however; the patella cap is by far better than any other i've seen from these mfgr's.
i've set my podmx opposite brace with the other breg patella cap. its a little expensive ($45), but is real protection. btw, they'll fit just about any hinged knee brace.
I have Breg braces. I asked my doc for CTi's, but they dealt with Breg. I have been very happy with mine!
John Birch
2/16/2010 5:20pm
feeble wrote:
heres my vote http://www.kneebracesonline.com/product_image.php?imageid=118 breg makes an awesome knee brace. i've owned cti2's, asterisks, and the new podmx's now. i was prescribed a breg x2k custom...
heres my vote

cobra314 wrote:
I have Breg braces. I asked my doc for CTi's, but they dealt with Breg. I have been very happy with mine!
Do you ride?
oldx
2/16/2010 5:30pm
CTI braces are the biggest piece of shit I ever wasted money on.
feeble
2/16/2010 5:58pm
feeble wrote:
heres my vote

cobra314 wrote:
John Birch wrote:
Do you ride?
yes i do; however, i haven't ridden on my breg knee braces, and won't for about 2.5 more months still. yes , they do seem to be a little bulkier and more rigid than others, so thats why you're probably inquiring. mine are the x2k custom's; for moto, i really like the podmx k700 though, with the breg patella cap. prior to my incident, i had the pod patella cap come off twice in minor get offs and it really freaked me out as it has a jagged edge on it. fox/pod sent me out a new set and i haven't tried them, but will, to give them a shot to see if i just got a bad set though. if you are in the market for cushy knee pads that dont stick out too much and are fairly universal, get the breg ones. jmo.
Shorty29
2/16/2010 8:36pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:49pm

Post a reply to: CTI 2 Patella Cup issue

The Latest