CTE caused by repeated hits, not by concussions....

Edited Date/Time 1/23/2018 11:12am
That means we could all be in trouble, concussions or not....

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/01/18/578355877/repeated…
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
1/18/2018 9:02pm
I just heard this on the radio. Very interesting. They were taking that there’s a study that proves you don’t need to have “concussions” to end up with CTE.
reded
1/18/2018 9:28pm
I'd like to see the actual report. I would have to question if they're talking about hundreds of hits over a short span (3 hour game) or 100 hits over ones lifetime.
BobbyM
1/18/2018 10:31pm
Looks pretty bad for ufc, moto, FB, boxing, hockey etc.

The Shop

tcallahan707
1/18/2018 10:43pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2018 10:48pm
BobbyM wrote:
At this point, the only truly at risk hockey players that I am aware of are fighters. I have not heard anything related to NHL players and CTE unless they were mainly enforcers. This would be a positive for moto, since it's not repeated blows day in and day out.

My high school hockey coach had a brother that fought in the NHL (although he also had some major head injuries) and had a rough life afterwards. Pretty sad story but hopefully something good can come from it.

http://www.startribune.com/jeff-parker-ex-nhler-from-twin-cities-who-is…
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
1/18/2018 10:46pm
How many times are you guys getting your bell rung? This seems like positive news for moto
agn5009
1/18/2018 10:49pm
How many times are you guys getting your bell rung? This seems like positive news for moto
Too many to count.
Belg
1/18/2018 10:59pm
this is reaching a point where it gets ridiculous ! what about soccer ? the head is used as much as feet !
tcallahan707
1/18/2018 11:03pm
Belg wrote:
this is reaching a point where it gets ridiculous ! what about soccer ? the head is used as much as feet !
You aren't damaging your brain heading a soccer ball...
1/18/2018 11:14pm
Belg wrote:
Yes you are. Google it.

This CTE stuff is way more serious than most of us ever want to admit. We'll probably find out one day that the harmonics from a engine that we are riding is doing minor damage that adds up over time. We're just only scratching the surface of this rabbit hole.

The brain is pretty fucking sensitive. We shouldnt be automatically dismissing any research or new findings. Gotta keep an open mind on this topic.

That said, I wanted nothing more as a kid than to play pop warner and later, high school football. My parents would never let me for fear of brain damage. They were way ahead of the curve. But damn did I love football. I still hold some resentment to this day over it. And I say that knowing and very open to the realities of CTE. I do value my brain. But I also value quality of life. Sports are fun as hell. Ive had real concussions. I know how scary they are. Yet I still dont regret living my life. I dont know what the right answer is. You're not gonna get me to give up motorsports. But if a study came out tomorrow that could prove that engine harmonics cause CTE over time and that I could end up inadvertently abusing my wife as a result of the brain trauma, what a heartbreaking decision that would require.

If you love playing sports like me, we're probably all just too biased to make a sensible opinion of this topic.
tcallahan707
1/18/2018 11:17pm
Belg wrote:
Sully wrote:
That is news to me. It's the first I've heard of any soccer players with CTE. I stand corrected.
1/18/2018 11:20pm
Sully wrote:
That is news to me. It's the first I've heard of any soccer players with CTE. I stand corrected.
There was another study outlining youth. It basically showed that elite students showed sudden drastic drop offs in their school performance after just a few seasons of soccer. It was quite significant.

I believe as a result their is a movement to push for heading to be banned at the youth level.
tcallahan707
1/18/2018 11:23pm
Sully wrote:
There was another study outlining youth. It basically showed that elite students showed sudden drastic drop offs in their school performance after just a few seasons...
There was another study outlining youth. It basically showed that elite students showed sudden drastic drop offs in their school performance after just a few seasons of soccer. It was quite significant.

I believe as a result their is a movement to push for heading to be banned at the youth level.
Good to know. Thanks for the info.
1/18/2018 11:38pm
The caveman wasn't designed to run around and bang his head on every tree trunk and rock pile in the forest....

We are definitely punishing our brains.
WCRider
Fantasy
2287th
1/19/2018 12:28am
Agree, that's why Cristiano Ronaldo is so good with is head.
90smoto
1/19/2018 1:41am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2018 1:42am
Like many others I've had my share of dirt naps. Anytime you hit your head it's a sketchy deal. I've broken bones and ACL's but a being knocked out on the track scared me the most. The effects are no joke
1/19/2018 2:54am
I'd guess it's like smoking or radiation exposure: it's cumulative damage that eventually reaches a threshold. Concussions just remove huge chunks of the distance to that threshold.
Lightning78
1/19/2018 2:56am
BobbyM wrote:
Looks pretty bad for anything that doesnt involve sitting on the couch in bubblewrap..... Maybe we should all stay away from actually living any sort of even minor thrilling life. I getthe dangers of CTE and the residual effects of it but IF everyone tried to live by the guidelines they'd be on the couch watching moto, football, boxing, hockey and any physical sport....hell even repeatedly shooting a high powered rifle in target practice could be a risk factor. Of course couch surfing wrapped in bubble wrap also has dangerous side effects like being lazy, lifeless, and overweight with a high propensity for heart disease.

To me .... More and more life is becoming 6 in one hand and half dozen in the other.... Or as so perfectly put in the opening track of renowned metal gods ACCEPT and their newest album called "Rise of Chaos" ..... "If You Live By The Sword, You Will Die By The Sword"

Side note ....if you like good pure and classic metal music, 3 of their last 4 releases, ACCEPT (formerly an 80's metal band) popped up out of nowhere with some of the most incredible metal music my ears have ever been blessed with & its well produced not screaming death metal....lots of wailing though.

2010 - Blood Of Nations
2014 - Blind Rage
2017 - Rise Of Chaos

Sorry to derail a little but ive been rocking the last two for a week now and want to spread the love lol
1/19/2018 3:58am
28 years of moto has left me with more than a few concussions and I'm sure there will be more.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
1/19/2018 4:13am
agn5009 wrote:
Too many to count.
You might want to sell the bike a purchase a cat.
acres951
1/19/2018 5:55am
BobbyM wrote:
At this point, the only truly at risk hockey players that I am aware of are fighters. I have not heard anything related to NHL players...
At this point, the only truly at risk hockey players that I am aware of are fighters. I have not heard anything related to NHL players and CTE unless they were mainly enforcers. This would be a positive for moto, since it's not repeated blows day in and day out.

My high school hockey coach had a brother that fought in the NHL (although he also had some major head injuries) and had a rough life afterwards. Pretty sad story but hopefully something good can come from it.

FWIW I recall hearing something a year or so ago where researchers thought that the hits in professional hockey (body checking not fights) were enough force (at speed then sudden stop) to cause a CTE like effect even if there was no contact with the head.
I may have that wrong and it was just something they were looking into.
tcallahan707
1/19/2018 6:08am
BobbyM wrote:
At this point, the only truly at risk hockey players that I am aware of are fighters. I have not heard anything related to NHL players...

acres951 wrote:
FWIW I recall hearing something a year or so ago where researchers thought that the hits in professional hockey (body checking not fights) were enough force...
FWIW I recall hearing something a year or so ago where researchers thought that the hits in professional hockey (body checking not fights) were enough force (at speed then sudden stop) to cause a CTE like effect even if there was no contact with the head.
I may have that wrong and it was just something they were looking into.
In the emergency services world, we say that a car accident has 3 collisions. Car hitting object, body hitting car, and internal organs hitting the body. The brain hits the skull during any abrupt stop so it's very well possible that getting checked could cause CTE. I'm just not aware of any instance. The tough thing is they can't really determine if CTE exists until post mortem and the donated brains tend to come from "high risk" individuals. We really are just scratching the surface with understanding this whole deal.
kkawboy14
1/19/2018 7:22am
Belg wrote:
According to that report you are hurting yourself anytime your brain jumps around inside your head!
1/19/2018 7:42am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2018 7:42am
even after alllll these medical findings are done and we supposedly know all that we can about this type of injury, is it really going to stop people from still wanting to play and compete in sports like football, hockey, mx, etc.? hell no i dont believe so! and soccer are you kidding me!?!? even suggesting taking heading the ball out of the game is absolute insanity and will never occur. these type of sports are globally raking in billions and will never cease in the next few lifetimes. there will always be those who are willing to put their lives and bodies on the line for the mere sport and competition and will neglect any risk. we as humans have loved "gladiator"-esque sports since the dawn of time and this will never change for the sheer fact of entertainment.
brocster
1/19/2018 8:15am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2018 8:21am
So every person that has played football for 7-8 years old thru elementary, middle and high school with some on to college and pro has CTE??? These kids into adult hood have taken, exponentially, more head shots thru practice and game time than any kid heading a soccer ball for a couple seasons. What is the magic “G” numer and repetition number for the affect? We as a society have gotten to a place where we want to place blame for every negative action that ever happens. To say the CTE is a reason people beat their wives after a football career is absurd as their have been hundreds of thousands that have not. Do we need to protect our brains, hell yes we do, but we can’t back our selves into a corner through studies that leave us without being able to do a single thing because its harmful to our health. Damn near everything that people do in their daily lives has been studied and found to be somewhat harmful. To each their own. Pick your poison is how I live... ( ha! As I currently sit on the couch recovering from having my wrist and tibia plated from a dirt bike accident. Worst one in 28 years of riding.)
1/19/2018 8:39am
brocster wrote:
So every person that has played football for 7-8 years old thru elementary, middle and high school with some on to college and pro has CTE...
So every person that has played football for 7-8 years old thru elementary, middle and high school with some on to college and pro has CTE??? These kids into adult hood have taken, exponentially, more head shots thru practice and game time than any kid heading a soccer ball for a couple seasons. What is the magic “G” numer and repetition number for the affect? We as a society have gotten to a place where we want to place blame for every negative action that ever happens. To say the CTE is a reason people beat their wives after a football career is absurd as their have been hundreds of thousands that have not. Do we need to protect our brains, hell yes we do, but we can’t back our selves into a corner through studies that leave us without being able to do a single thing because its harmful to our health. Damn near everything that people do in their daily lives has been studied and found to be somewhat harmful. To each their own. Pick your poison is how I live... ( ha! As I currently sit on the couch recovering from having my wrist and tibia plated from a dirt bike accident. Worst one in 28 years of riding.)
^^ THIS exactly
Camp332
1/19/2018 8:59am
Belg wrote:
Sully wrote:
Well that sucks! I was always that kid who took pride in heading the ball after the goalie punted it, scored some goals with this big ass dome of mine too. Shit Bro. I played soccer from 5 to 18.
Johnny Depp
1/19/2018 9:51am
It is starting to get out to the masses now. This thread is proof of it.

As soon as I saw this story, I suspected CTE from concussion. This poor kid, who's whole family is quarterbacks, is due to get his turn at starting his Junior year at Washington State and the pressure it too much for him? We may never know now since he blew his head off, but it sounds just like so many NFL stories.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/coroner-rules-hilinski-death-was…
bultokid
1/19/2018 10:28am
The poons and snowflakes will be golf clapping this one....of course after they put on protective gloves, goggles and helmet just in case a speck of dirt flies up into their eyes from clapping and makes them fall backward into the sofa and hit their head on a throw pillow

Seriously though, heck yeah have to keep improving safety gear but is it going to make you stop riding, playing hockey, football or whatever you really enjoy in life ? Live life and enjoy it, the choice is YOURS, our time to do that is short enough as it is

Post a reply to: CTE caused by repeated hits, not by concussions....

The Latest