CRF450RX BROKE! Need some help

MotoCoUSA
8/5/2018 1:02pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2018 3:13am
Alright guys I need some help from the community here. I have a 2017 CRF450RX and the two points where the linkage connects to the frame snapped clean off today after landing. I have insurance on the thing and I also have a warranty but the dealership is closed today and the warranty people apparently don't work sundays either. I emailed Honda and plan on calling them tomorrow, but I have no experience with this sort of thing. Warranty says 'protects against mechanical failure' and Im not sure if that falls under it. I just recently re-packed everything with grease, and the bolts on the pull rods are perfectly in tact. I'm at a loss as to how this happened other than something wrong with the frame itself? Anyone with experience in this situation with advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. Pics to follow.

|
Motofinne
8/5/2018 1:04pm
We've seen that exact thing happen to multiple 2017 CRF450:s. Honda will probably give you a new frame.

I think there are threads on Vital about other people that had this problem.
Lastander
8/5/2018 1:07pm
Yup happened to a friend of mine, new framme in a week or two
BR8ES
8/5/2018 1:07pm
hopefully they don't move at a snail's pace and good will it. Not the first one that has happened.
plowboy
8/5/2018 1:08pm
Hmmm, that's ugly but since you already publicly admitted to removing, greasing, and reinstalling these bolts...I'd figure it's gonna be hard to prove you didn't cause this. Not what you want to hear but....I wish you luck.

The Shop

MotoCoUSA
8/5/2018 1:13pm
Lastander wrote:
Yup happened to a friend of mine, new framme in a week or two
How did he go about doing that?
MotoCoUSA
8/5/2018 1:14pm
plowboy wrote:
Hmmm, that's ugly but since you already publicly admitted to removing, greasing, and reinstalling these bolts...I'd figure it's gonna be hard to prove you didn't cause...
Hmmm, that's ugly but since you already publicly admitted to removing, greasing, and reinstalling these bolts...I'd figure it's gonna be hard to prove you didn't cause this. Not what you want to hear but....I wish you luck.
Greasing stuff like you're supposed to causing a frame to snap?
BR8ES
8/5/2018 1:15pm
you don't get... they may just say user error and flip you the bird.
MotoCoUSA
8/5/2018 1:20pm
BR8ES wrote:
Oh I get that they are probably going to give me a hard time, that's why I asked if someone has dealt with this before. If I hadn't touched the things and they were dry they'd probably say that's why. Catch 22?
BR8ES
8/5/2018 1:22pm
BR8ES wrote:
MotoCoUSA wrote:
Oh I get that they are probably going to give me a hard time, that's why I asked if someone has dealt with this before. If...
Oh I get that they are probably going to give me a hard time, that's why I asked if someone has dealt with this before. If I hadn't touched the things and they were dry they'd probably say that's why. Catch 22?
you would hope not, clearly it is material issue and not user. But, who knows. Sure would like to think they would take care of it since this isn't a new failure.
usafwx
8/5/2018 2:14pm
This sucks man, was on the fence between a new Honda and Yamaha, stuff like this is just not inspiring confidence in the red brand.
plowboy
8/5/2018 2:37pm
plowboy wrote:
Hmmm, that's ugly but since you already publicly admitted to removing, greasing, and reinstalling these bolts...I'd figure it's gonna be hard to prove you didn't cause...
MotoCoUSA wrote:
I wasn't implying that you did anything wrong...but the dealer/mfg MAY. It's a bad situation in any event. Hopefully, it's a common enough occurrence that you get full coverage. On the other hand...it sucks if it's a common occurrence. I work on airplanes and most every pivot/stress point has bushing to alleviate this failure.
MotoCoUSA
8/5/2018 2:46pm
plowboy wrote:
MotoCoUSA wrote:
plowboy wrote:
I wasn't implying that you did anything wrong...but the dealer/mfg MAY. It's a bad situation in any event. Hopefully, it's a common enough occurrence that you...
I wasn't implying that you did anything wrong...but the dealer/mfg MAY. It's a bad situation in any event. Hopefully, it's a common enough occurrence that you get full coverage. On the other hand...it sucks if it's a common occurrence. I work on airplanes and most every pivot/stress point has bushing to alleviate this failure.
My bad, just a little fired up as I’m sure you can understand. I’ll update with what happens. I know shit happens but it stings when we all drop big $$$ on bikes and parts and crap like this happens.
Bennett59
8/5/2018 2:49pm
plowboy wrote:
MotoCoUSA wrote:
They could say he left it to loose and vibrating and moving around caused stress on it. Best case scenario they just cover it
yak651
Fantasy
168th
8/5/2018 2:52pm
I think you meant to say KTM frame issue...
plowboy
8/5/2018 2:55pm
yak651 wrote:
Angry
plowboy
8/5/2018 2:56pm
MotoCoUSA wrote:
plowboy wrote:
I wasn't implying that you did anything wrong...but the dealer/mfg MAY. It's a bad situation in any event. Hopefully, it's a common enough occurrence that you...
MotoCoUSA wrote:
My bad, just a little fired up as I’m sure you can understand. I’ll update with what happens. I know shit happens but it stings when...
My bad, just a little fired up as I’m sure you can understand. I’ll update with what happens. I know shit happens but it stings when we all drop big $$$ on bikes and parts and crap like this happens.
I hear you and understand 100%. This should not happen.
rmoto003
8/5/2018 3:22pm
MotoCoUSA wrote:
Yea not saying you did anything wrong but thats just something they can use to say "hey the guy did it to himself" and not warranty it.

Id just tell them it broke and not mention you did anything to it. IMO you would have to fuck up pretty bad with the wrenches for this to be your fault.
BR8ES
8/5/2018 3:33pm
yak651 wrote:
yeah, because they are the only ones right?
GPrider
8/5/2018 6:12pm
usafwx wrote:
This sucks man, was on the fence between a new Honda and Yamaha, stuff like this is just not inspiring confidence in the red brand.
now you know what to buy, worked out perfect for you!
kiwifan
8/5/2018 6:21pm
usafwx wrote:
This is NOT a common fault at all. I had a CRF450RX that I put through on average of 2-3 days of riding during week and racing just about every weekend, I think it was well over 200 hours with not one single crack.... and I do not putter around.

If you are going to bang on about Honda frame reliability vs Yamaha then there are a lot more documented Yamaha frames failures than Hondas...!!

So if anything your confidence should be high.
usafwx
8/5/2018 7:17pm
kiwifan wrote:
This is NOT a common fault at all. I had a CRF450RX that I put through on average of 2-3 days of riding during week and...
This is NOT a common fault at all. I had a CRF450RX that I put through on average of 2-3 days of riding during week and racing just about every weekend, I think it was well over 200 hours with not one single crack.... and I do not putter around.

If you are going to bang on about Honda frame reliability vs Yamaha then there are a lot more documented Yamaha frames failures than Hondas...!!

Hardly. I owned a 16 CRF250R. All brands have issues, some more than others. It's not just this frame issue, the clutch basket recall (both 450R and 250R), overheating and oil starvation on (250R). Who knows the new Yami could also be a problem child. But you can't sit here and blindly ignore or defend Red with the issues on the new gen bikes.
make1go
8/5/2018 7:20pm
kiwifan wrote:
This is NOT a common fault at all. I had a CRF450RX that I put through on average of 2-3 days of riding during week and...

theres been a few instances reported here and most likely more elsewhere...
but please keep defending a multi nat that doesnt give a shit it makes you look like hysterical bieber fan..Whistling
kiwifan
8/5/2018 8:00pm
kiwifan wrote:

usafwx wrote:
Hardly. I owned a 16 CRF250R. All brands have issues, some more than others. It's not just this frame issue, the clutch basket recall (both 450R...
Hardly. I owned a 16 CRF250R. All brands have issues, some more than others. It's not just this frame issue, the clutch basket recall (both 450R and 250R), overheating and oil starvation on (250R). Who knows the new Yami could also be a problem child. But you can't sit here and blindly ignore or defend Red with the issues on the new gen bikes.
Now you have morphed into other issues, I was specifically talking about frames, lets keep to the topic.....
kiwifan
8/5/2018 8:02pm
kiwifan wrote:

make1go wrote:
theres been a few instances reported here and most likely more elsewhere... but please keep defending a multi nat that doesnt give a shit it makes...
theres been a few instances reported here and most likely more elsewhere...
but please keep defending a multi nat that doesnt give a shit it makes you look like hysterical bieber fan..Whistling
ok super, you missed my point well done.

Attacking my view doesnt mean yours is any better.

usafwx
8/5/2018 8:18pm Edited Date/Time 8/5/2018 8:20pm
kiwifan wrote:

usafwx wrote:
Hardly. I owned a 16 CRF250R. All brands have issues, some more than others. It's not just this frame issue, the clutch basket recall (both 450R...
kiwifan wrote:
Now you have morphed into other issues, I was specifically talking about frames, lets keep to the topic.....
My original post which wasn't talking specifically about frames that you then went fan boy on me with...

"This sucks man, was on the fence between a new Honda and Yamaha, stuff like this is just not inspiring confidence in the red brand."

But continue please.
kiwifan
8/5/2018 8:45pm
usafwx wrote:
kiwifan wrote:
usafwx wrote:
My original post which wasn't talking specifically about frames that you then went fan boy on me with... "This sucks man, [b]was on the fence between...
My original post which wasn't talking specifically about frames that you then went fan boy on me with...

"This sucks man, was on the fence between a new Honda and Yamaha, stuff like this is just not inspiring confidence in the red brand."

But continue please.
oh good grief
MotoCoUSA
8/6/2018 9:00am
Well at least I'm not the only one this has happened to, thanks for the help, ill update with what Honda does for me.
kb228
8/6/2018 9:35am
plowboy wrote:
Normal maintenance doesnt cause frames to break. What are you smoking?
plowboy
8/6/2018 9:45am
plowboy wrote:
kb228 wrote:
Normal maintenance doesnt cause frames to break. What are you smoking?
Who said anything about normal maintenance? I'm sure the OP did nothing wrong but the shops/mfgs have seen enough owner inflicted damage that they MIGHT throw that card out there. Hope not.

Post a reply to: CRF450RX BROKE! Need some help

The Latest