CRF450RX BROKE! Need some help

Related:
Create New Tag

8/5/2018 1:02 PM

Alright guys I need some help from the community here. I have a 2017 CRF450RX and the two points where the linkage connects to the frame snapped clean off today after landing. I have insurance on the thing and I also have a warranty but the dealership is closed today and the warranty people apparently don't work sundays either. I emailed Honda and plan on calling them tomorrow, but I have no experience with this sort of thing. Warranty says 'protects against mechanical failure' and Im not sure if that falls under it. I just recently re-packed everything with grease, and the bolts on the pull rods are perfectly in tact. I'm at a loss as to how this happened other than something wrong with the frame itself? Anyone with experience in this situation with advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. Pics to follow. Photo
Photo

|

8/5/2018 1:04 PM

We've seen that exact thing happen to multiple 2017 CRF450:s. Honda will probably give you a new frame.

I think there are threads on Vital about other people that had this problem.

|

8/5/2018 1:07 PM

Yup happened to a friend of mine, new framme in a week or two

|

8/5/2018 1:07 PM

hopefully they don't move at a snail's pace and good will it. Not the first one that has happened.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

8/5/2018 1:08 PM

Hmmm, that's ugly but since you already publicly admitted to removing, greasing, and reinstalling these bolts...I'd figure it's gonna be hard to prove you didn't cause this. Not what you want to hear but....I wish you luck.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

8/5/2018 1:13 PM

Lastander wrote:

Yup happened to a friend of mine, new framme in a week or two

How did he go about doing that?

|

8/5/2018 1:14 PM

plowboy wrote:

Hmmm, that's ugly but since you already publicly admitted to removing, greasing, and reinstalling these bolts...I'd figure ...more

Greasing stuff like you're supposed to causing a frame to snap?

|

8/5/2018 1:15 PM

you don't get... they may just say user error and flip you the bird.

|

8/5/2018 1:20 PM

BR8ES wrote:

Oh I get that they are probably going to give me a hard time, that's why I asked if someone has dealt with this before. If I hadn't touched the things and they were dry they'd probably say that's why. Catch 22?

|

8/5/2018 1:22 PM

BR8ES wrote:

MotoCoUSA wrote:

Oh I get that they are probably going to give me a hard time, that's why I asked if someone has dealt with this before. If I ...more

you would hope not, clearly it is material issue and not user. But, who knows. Sure would like to think they would take care of it since this isn't a new failure.

|

8/5/2018 1:48 PM

I think I read over torquing the bolts can make this happen

|

8/5/2018 2:14 PM

This sucks man, was on the fence between a new Honda and Yamaha, stuff like this is just not inspiring confidence in the red brand.

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore

8/5/2018 2:37 PM

plowboy wrote:

Hmmm, that's ugly but since you already publicly admitted to removing, greasing, and reinstalling these bolts...I'd figure ...more

MotoCoUSA wrote:

I wasn't implying that you did anything wrong...but the dealer/mfg MAY. It's a bad situation in any event. Hopefully, it's a common enough occurrence that you get full coverage. On the other hand...it sucks if it's a common occurrence. I work on airplanes and most every pivot/stress point has bushing to alleviate this failure.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

8/5/2018 2:46 PM

plowboy wrote:

MotoCoUSA wrote:

plowboy wrote:

I wasn't implying that you did anything wrong...but the dealer/mfg MAY. It's a bad situation in any event. Hopefully, it's a ...more

My bad, just a little fired up as I’m sure you can understand. I’ll update with what happens. I know shit happens but it stings when we all drop big $$$ on bikes and parts and crap like this happens.

|

8/5/2018 2:49 PM

plowboy wrote:

MotoCoUSA wrote:

They could say he left it to loose and vibrating and moving around caused stress on it. Best case scenario they just cover it

|

Thank you,
Fly Racing, WPS, Dt-1, Mika Metals, Maxima, 100%, Motostuff, Factory Connection, Evs

8/5/2018 2:52 PM

I think you meant to say KTM frame issue...

|

8/5/2018 2:55 PM

yak651 wrote:

angry
|

8/5/2018 2:56 PM

MotoCoUSA wrote:

plowboy wrote:

I wasn't implying that you did anything wrong...but the dealer/mfg MAY. It's a bad situation in any event. Hopefully, it's a ...more

MotoCoUSA wrote:

My bad, just a little fired up as I’m sure you can understand. I’ll update with what happens. I know shit happens but it ...more

I hear you and understand 100%. This should not happen.

|

8/5/2018 3:22 PM

MotoCoUSA wrote:

Yea not saying you did anything wrong but thats just something they can use to say "hey the guy did it to himself" and not warranty it.

Id just tell them it broke and not mention you did anything to it. IMO you would have to fuck up pretty bad with the wrenches for this to be your fault.

|

8/5/2018 3:33 PM

yak651 wrote:

yeah, because they are the only ones right?

|

8/5/2018 6:12 PM

usafwx wrote:

This sucks man, was on the fence between a new Honda and Yamaha, stuff like this is just not inspiring confidence in the red ...more

now you know what to buy, worked out perfect for you!

|

8/5/2018 6:21 PM

usafwx wrote:

This sucks man, was on the fence between a new Honda and Yamaha, stuff like this is just not inspiring confidence in the red ...more

This is NOT a common fault at all. I had a CRF450RX that I put through on average of 2-3 days of riding during week and racing just about every weekend, I think it was well over 200 hours with not one single crack.... and I do not putter around.

If you are going to bang on about Honda frame reliability vs Yamaha then there are a lot more documented Yamaha frames failures than Hondas...!!

So if anything your confidence should be high.

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

8/5/2018 7:17 PM

kiwifan wrote:

This is NOT a common fault at all. I had a CRF450RX that I put through on average of 2-3 days of riding during week and racing ...more

Hardly. I owned a 16 CRF250R. All brands have issues, some more than others. It's not just this frame issue, the clutch basket recall (both 450R and 250R), overheating and oil starvation on (250R). Who knows the new Yami could also be a problem child. But you can't sit here and blindly ignore or defend Red with the issues on the new gen bikes.

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore

8/5/2018 7:20 PM

kiwifan wrote:

This is NOT a common fault at all. I had a CRF450RX that I put through on average of 2-3 days of riding during week and racing ...more

theres been a few instances reported here and most likely more elsewhere...
but please keep defending a multi nat that doesnt give a shit it makes you look like hysterical bieber fan..whistling

|

8/5/2018 8:00 PM

usafwx wrote:

kiwifan wrote:

usafwx wrote:

Hardly. I owned a 16 CRF250R. All brands have issues, some more than others. It's not just this frame issue, the clutch basket ...more

Now you have morphed into other issues, I was specifically talking about frames, lets keep to the topic.....

|

8/5/2018 8:02 PM

usafwx wrote:

kiwifan wrote:

make1go wrote:

theres been a few instances reported here and most likely more elsewhere...
but please keep defending a multi nat that doesnt ...more

ok super, you missed my point well done.

Attacking my view doesnt mean yours is any better.

|

8/5/2018 8:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/5/2018 8:20 PM

kiwifan wrote:

usafwx wrote:

Hardly. I owned a 16 CRF250R. All brands have issues, some more than others. It's not just this frame issue, the clutch basket ...more

kiwifan wrote:

Now you have morphed into other issues, I was specifically talking about frames, lets keep to the topic.....

My original post which wasn't talking specifically about frames that you then went fan boy on me with...

"This sucks man, was on the fence between a new Honda and Yamaha, stuff like this is just not inspiring confidence in the red brand."

But continue please.

|

8/5/2018 8:45 PM

usafwx wrote:

kiwifan wrote:

usafwx wrote:

My original post which wasn't talking specifically about frames that you then went fan boy on me with...

"This sucks man, ...more

oh good grief

|

8/6/2018 9:00 AM

Well at least I'm not the only one this has happened to, thanks for the help, ill update with what Honda does for me.

|

8/6/2018 9:35 AM

plowboy wrote:

Normal maintenance doesnt cause frames to break. What are you smoking?

|