CRF150 cup at select Nationals?

Lightning78
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 5:24pm
Lined up with MX Sports? .....DC what kind of kickback did they (Honda) give to MX Sports? JK.....In all seriousness though. For a bike that cannot be raced against any other Mfg's 85's at the amature level it seems like they got or bought a more little extra exposure than the rest of the minibike Mfg's. LOL

Guess since Honda can't get the bikes to be showcased at the am races except for 150 only classes they found a way to be ridden at the national rounds in front of the biggest of all mx classes.....or did I miss something here?...either way you be the judge, to me it seems a little strange unless they are having a CRF150 class during Amature day before or after the actual national

http://motocross.transworld.net/1000098947/news/honda-and-mx-sports-tea…

ps ....no "wtf" in this thread title so I don't get flamed for jumoing on DC back. I do find it a little odd though...... AC92 would spank even the best 150 rider even though the bkke isn't legal for the 85 class and is it legal for the super mini class?
|
Slow
7/21/2010 10:17am
I'd rather watch the privateers battle in a LCQ
chase383
7/21/2010 10:17am
Better idea.. How about a 125 class for the "up and comers"!!!
Lightning78
7/21/2010 10:27am
chase383 wrote:
Better idea.. How about a 125 class for the "up and comers"!!!
EXACTLY why I posted this....I think its kind of suspect of course Honda is dead set against 2 strokes and would likely protest that from happening....Im calling BS on this one and feel as if Honda bought exposure for a bike that is likely not selling very well probably the worst seller of all the Honda 4 stroke MX er's. IMO

It is only the last 2 rounds ....which Im assuming those 2 rounds are lacking the WMA or are they gonna try and squeeze the 250 class in with the rest of the package? Seems odd that there would be no WMA round at the last (Pala) round given the award ceremonies and end if season stuff is going on at Pala the WMA like them or not have put in work this summer and deserve to race the final round
user760a
7/21/2010 10:38am
i would rather watch a crf150 be cut up with a torch at select nationals. that heavy, loud , overpriced POS is not what the sport needs for its up and comers

The Shop

chase383
7/21/2010 10:47am Edited Date/Time 7/21/2010 10:48am
EXACTLY why I posted this....I think its kind of suspect of course Honda is dead set against 2 strokes and would likely protest that from happening....Im...
EXACTLY why I posted this....I think its kind of suspect of course Honda is dead set against 2 strokes and would likely protest that from happening....Im calling BS on this one and feel as if Honda bought exposure for a bike that is likely not selling very well probably the worst seller of all the Honda 4 stroke MX er's. IMO

It is only the last 2 rounds ....which Im assuming those 2 rounds are lacking the WMA or are they gonna try and squeeze the 250 class in with the rest of the package? Seems odd that there would be no WMA round at the last (Pala) round given the award ceremonies and end if season stuff is going on at Pala the WMA like them or not have put in work this summer and deserve to race the final round
Or at least open it up to all super mini's...
DC
7/21/2010 12:00pm
There are no politics, it was an idea that American Honda had and we thought we would try it out. And similar to the old KTM Junior Supercross Challenge, or the Red Bull Rookies Cup in road racing, we felt that we would try one OEM out and see how it goes. Honda is supporting it and we are glad they stepped up like this. It will be interesting to see how it works out and what we can do moving forward.

As for the WMX not being at Pala, remember Glen Helen was on the original schedule. They opted not to have the WMX there and host a two-stroke race instead, so the eight WMX races went to other tracks. Then GH dropped out and Pala came on board, but the WMX calendar was already set. In hindsight, we should have considered maybe adding another round, and next year the WMX will almost certainly be part of Pala and the final round.

And for what it's worth, because Pala will be shown live on SPEED, they wanted to make sure they were on time with everything for the first-ever national.

DC
MX Sports
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
7/21/2010 12:07pm
Lined up with MX Sports? .....DC what kind of kickback did they (Honda) give to MX Sports? JK.....In all seriousness though. For a bike that cannot...
Lined up with MX Sports? .....DC what kind of kickback did they (Honda) give to MX Sports? JK.....In all seriousness though. For a bike that cannot be raced against any other Mfg's 85's at the amature level it seems like they got or bought a more little extra exposure than the rest of the minibike Mfg's. LOL

Guess since Honda can't get the bikes to be showcased at the am races except for 150 only classes they found a way to be ridden at the national rounds in front of the biggest of all mx classes.....or did I miss something here?...either way you be the judge, to me it seems a little strange unless they are having a CRF150 class during Amature day before or after the actual national

ps ....no "wtf" in this thread title so I don't get flamed for jumoing on DC back. I do find it a little odd though...... AC92 would spank even the best 150 rider even though the bkke isn't legal for the 85 class and is it legal for the super mini class?
Hmm, The 150 is way popular in most amateur classes. Maybe not AMA sanctioned races but Honda has not problem selling them.

Maybe it is just a way to have another race. There is more to racing then the AMA. GFI, CMC all the Small Local races. I am just curious why you think the bike can not get any exposure.

Personally I think the AMA Amateur racing series is a sham. All the way to Loretta Lynn's. I don't hide this and I know there is an industry behind it. Sadly for the sole reason to earn a profit. It has left Grass Roots, the majority of racers earn either money, bikes or get to the races cost free. The bikes are far from showroom. There is only the competition of who spent the most to get there. Trainers, mechanics, Home schooling children in the hopes of making it to the top 1% of a sport that really has a short lifespan of the racers. Then what? Illiterate adults that maybe can work a parts counter?

I have said it before. GPA's need to be part of the Amateur racing, and from accredited schools. Not from Aunt Mary who got a teaching credential and is now having class around traveling to 12 stops across the country and in-between coach sessions.

This isnt everyone that competes, but it is a large percentage and in my opinion its doing the children and our sport no good.

Amateur means - accept NO EARNINGS whatsoever. That includes provided bikes to sell on ebay. It just has nothing to do with the meaning of Amateur.
user760a
7/21/2010 12:12pm
you sure about that? there is one dealer here in NC that blows out overstock on ebay that had them for $2500 OTD recently. that sounds like a SERIOUS overstock issue ...almost $2000 off???
TeamGreen
7/21/2010 12:19pm
Lined up with MX Sports? .....DC what kind of kickback did they (Honda) give to MX Sports? JK.....In all seriousness though. For a bike that cannot...

Tiki wrote:
Hmm, The 150 is way popular in most amateur classes. Maybe not AMA sanctioned races but Honda has not problem selling them. Maybe it is just...
Hmm, The 150 is way popular in most amateur classes. Maybe not AMA sanctioned races but Honda has not problem selling them.

Maybe it is just a way to have another race. There is more to racing then the AMA. GFI, CMC all the Small Local races. I am just curious why you think the bike can not get any exposure.

Personally I think the AMA Amateur racing series is a sham. All the way to Loretta Lynn's. I don't hide this and I know there is an industry behind it. Sadly for the sole reason to earn a profit. It has left Grass Roots, the majority of racers earn either money, bikes or get to the races cost free. The bikes are far from showroom. There is only the competition of who spent the most to get there. Trainers, mechanics, Home schooling children in the hopes of making it to the top 1% of a sport that really has a short lifespan of the racers. Then what? Illiterate adults that maybe can work a parts counter?

I have said it before. GPA's need to be part of the Amateur racing, and from accredited schools. Not from Aunt Mary who got a teaching credential and is now having class around traveling to 12 stops across the country and in-between coach sessions.

This isnt everyone that competes, but it is a large percentage and in my opinion its doing the children and our sport no good.

Amateur means - accept NO EARNINGS whatsoever. That includes provided bikes to sell on ebay. It just has nothing to do with the meaning of Amateur.
While you have some valid points...I think the vast majority of these issues fall squarely on the parents and competitors. Especially on things like coaches...no school, etc.

As for the Money in AM racing? Your right about how it's a bit polluted: That's all on the manufacturers and...to some extent...the Pro Teams...many of them have an Am-Program, ya know? Factory Connection, Pro Circuit...etc.

I-WOULD-have a more "open" tear-down policy in stock classes...maybe even make it "mandatory"...I'd go a bit NASCAR on this one!

GPA's? Accredited schools? You aren't going to like this; but, this won't change the "Have's v. Have Not's" issue. Who do ya think can afford to cheat this requirement?

As for the events and cost of going to Loretta's? I'm not going to throw the race and the promoters under the bus. It's a pretty damn good system and provides for some really good racing.
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
7/21/2010 12:19pm
user760a wrote:
you sure about that? there is one dealer here in NC that blows out overstock on ebay that had them for $2500 OTD recently. that sounds...
you sure about that? there is one dealer here in NC that blows out overstock on ebay that had them for $2500 OTD recently. that sounds like a SERIOUS overstock issue ...almost $2000 off???
Could be volume, would you rather make money or sit on product which you are paying for every month or it could be economic times and location. In the west the 150 is seeded with 85's so if you have one. Race it.
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
7/21/2010 12:25pm
TeamGreen wrote:
While you have some valid points...I think the vast majority of these issues fall squarely on the parents and competitors. Especially on things like coaches...no school...
While you have some valid points...I think the vast majority of these issues fall squarely on the parents and competitors. Especially on things like coaches...no school, etc.

As for the Money in AM racing? Your right about how it's a bit polluted: That's all on the manufacturers and...to some extent...the Pro Teams...many of them have an Am-Program, ya know? Factory Connection, Pro Circuit...etc.

I-WOULD-have a more "open" tear-down policy in stock classes...maybe even make it "mandatory"...I'd go a bit NASCAR on this one!

GPA's? Accredited schools? You aren't going to like this; but, this won't change the "Have's v. Have Not's" issue. Who do ya think can afford to cheat this requirement?

As for the events and cost of going to Loretta's? I'm not going to throw the race and the promoters under the bus. It's a pretty damn good system and provides for some really good racing.
"GPA's? Accredited schools? You aren't going to like this; but, this won't change the "Have's v. Have Not's" issue. Who do ya think can afford to cheat this requirement? "
I agree, BUT it might provide options to those who lawn dart into the ground and then have to start over by getting a GED at 24. Just a safety net for those that may not HAVE all the others have.

I agree it would throw the industry under the bus, as far as good racing, That will always be there regardless.

While the bikes may meet spec. They are sure far from what comes off the showroom floor. The bore and stroke maybe accurate but they are massaged, or picked from the cream of the crop. Everyone wants to be a winner. Amateur racing makes pop warner football look tame in comparison.

Cheating is racing, it will always be there. I just feel the bar should be standardized for the Haves, and the Have not's. Not just the Haves.
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
7/21/2010 12:27pm
Make a pro-am class to add that additional racing and business opportunities. But don't discount the farmers kid because he can only race around the back 40. The C class is far, far, far away from the C class of every other event.
chase383
7/21/2010 12:43pm
user760a wrote:
you sure about that? there is one dealer here in NC that blows out overstock on ebay that had them for $2500 OTD recently. that sounds...
yep.. I have seen the small wheels going for $2200 in Ohio
Bulldog
7/21/2010 12:44pm
user760a wrote: "you sure about that? there is one dealer here in NC that blows out overstock on ebay that had them for $2500 OTD recently. that sounds like a SERIOUS overstock issue ...almost $2000 off???"

Same here in Virginia...
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
7/21/2010 12:45pm
Can one of you guys get me the price of a 150F? Those retail for $2300
sdrider16
7/21/2010 1:01pm
Hey Honda steped up and is footing the bill. Give some young guys little exposure, and I know my kids will love to see that.
wardy
7/21/2010 1:09pm
user760a wrote:
i would rather watch a crf150 be cut up with a torch at select nationals. that heavy, loud , overpriced POS is not what the sport...
i would rather watch a crf150 be cut up with a torch at select nationals. that heavy, loud , overpriced POS is not what the sport needs for its up and comers
x10000

nothing worse then a bike like this in the mini class.
Sanchez
7/21/2010 1:13pm
I noticed that these events payout double the amount of ANY amateur event on Honda's contingency schedule. 1st place takes $2K...same payout from Honda for placing 4th in a pro Supercross event or 3rd at a National. Pretty generous
7/21/2010 1:15pm

Man...
Things are moving farther and farther from what I consider healthy for the sport (IMO). How much cooler would a 125 support class be? Come on already...
chase383
7/21/2010 1:17pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2010 1:18pm
DC,

I'm not a mini-dad or a mini rider..

If Honda held supermini qualifiers and the fastest riders got to race Honda provided CRF's similar to what KTM did, I would think that is pretty cool. I realized that time constraints probably won't allow that to happen this year.

That being said, wouldn't a "Honda Supermini Shootout" be more appropriate?
Allowing all supermini's (as per the rules) to race would ensure a deeper talent pool and if a kid on a CRF happen's to win.. Great! Shows Honda has a great bike (or a great rider on one of their CRF's). I also think the average fan would appreciate it more.. (Especially if someone like AC92 shows up).

I don't think a kid should be denied a chance to race a great venue because of the brand of bike they have.

Just my opinon..
sesker15
7/21/2010 1:19pm
So if AC wanted to race he would have to ridea Honda?? BS!! Well anyway Cooper Webb will win this hands down!!
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
7/21/2010 1:21pm
Tiki wrote:
Can one of you guys get me the price of a 150F? Those retail for $2300
chase383 wrote:
http://www.championshippowersports.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=01390…

These guys are selling an 08 150R for less than an 09 150F
Something is wrong with that. Could be the AMA races, could be the bike. It doesn't appear to be a turd but I could be wrong. I used to have a 150F and it was more fun then should be allowed.

If you ever get three adults with 150F's in the same area, there is going to be a world class battle with laughter and carnage.
chase383
7/21/2010 1:29pm
Tiki wrote:
Something is wrong with that. Could be the AMA races, could be the bike. It doesn't appear to be a turd but I could be wrong...
Something is wrong with that. Could be the AMA races, could be the bike. It doesn't appear to be a turd but I could be wrong. I used to have a 150F and it was more fun then should be allowed.

If you ever get three adults with 150F's in the same area, there is going to be a world class battle with laughter and carnage.

Truer words have never been spoken..
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
7/21/2010 1:32pm
BooKoo AX had this same sort of deal. I dont remember everyone bitching about it
Ewan
7/21/2010 1:32pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2010 1:34pm
DC wrote:
There are no politics, it was an idea that American Honda had and we thought we would try it out. And similar to the old KTM...
There are no politics, it was an idea that American Honda had and we thought we would try it out. And similar to the old KTM Junior Supercross Challenge, or the Red Bull Rookies Cup in road racing, we felt that we would try one OEM out and see how it goes. Honda is supporting it and we are glad they stepped up like this. It will be interesting to see how it works out and what we can do moving forward.

As for the WMX not being at Pala, remember Glen Helen was on the original schedule. They opted not to have the WMX there and host a two-stroke race instead, so the eight WMX races went to other tracks. Then GH dropped out and Pala came on board, but the WMX calendar was already set. In hindsight, we should have considered maybe adding another round, and next year the WMX will almost certainly be part of Pala and the final round.

And for what it's worth, because Pala will be shown live on SPEED, they wanted to make sure they were on time with everything for the first-ever national.

DC
MX Sports
Why simply "go along with an idea Honda had"?

Seems like Honda lining MX Sports pockets in order to gain exposure for a bike that's quite clearly failing in it's intended class.

I'm sorry, but when a promoter, who is made out to be such a guardian of our sport, half heartedly supports a motion that would see pros have the choice to compete on 2 strokes on an even playing field and rolls over when the manufacturer says no, then bow down to Honda in exchange for a few quid to showcase a bike no one wants to race I have to call bullshit.

Seriously, if I wanted to watch kids race 150 fourstokes I'd come over and head for Lorretta's. Is this what core fans want to see at a AMA pro national?

Get your 16-18 year olds on >150cc 2 strokes, give the fans what they want and support the manufacturers that are trying to keep the sport growing at grass roots level......

But maybe KTM, TM, Husky and Yamaha don't pay Honda money......

zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
7/21/2010 1:34pm
DC wrote:
There are no politics, it was an idea that American Honda had and we thought we would try it out. And similar to the old KTM...

DC
MX Sports
Ewan wrote:
Why simply "go along with an idea Honda had"? Seems like Honda lining MX Sports pockets in order to gain exposure for a bike that's quite...
Why simply "go along with an idea Honda had"?

Seems like Honda lining MX Sports pockets in order to gain exposure for a bike that's quite clearly failing in it's intended class.

I'm sorry, but when a promoter, who is made out to be such a guardian of our sport, half heartedly supports a motion that would see pros have the choice to compete on 2 strokes on an even playing field and rolls over when the manufacturer says no, then bow down to Honda in exchange for a few quid to showcase a bike no one wants to race I have to call bullshit.

Seriously, if I wanted to watch kids race 150 fourstokes I'd come over and head for Lorretta's. Is this what core fans want to see at a AMA pro national?

Get your 16-18 year olds on >150cc 2 strokes, give the fans what they want and support the manufacturers that are trying to keep the sport growing at grass roots level......

But maybe KTM, TM, Husky and Yamaha don't pay Honda money......

If KTM paid for a 144 class, how would you feel?
Ewan
7/21/2010 1:43pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2010 1:43pm
If KTM paid for a 144 class, how would you feel?
I don't want to see a one make / model series at a pro national and if you think I do from reading my post above, you've missed my point.
DC
7/21/2010 1:55pm
Wow, so it was okay when only KTM kids got to ride the KTM Junior Supercross Challenge for 15 years? Anyone remember the Yamaha Race of Champions at the Workd Mini GP? Or how about the Kawasaki Race of Champions that followed?

And Ewan, I didn't just go along with it; I liked the idea and think it will be interesting. If it works out, great; if it doesn't, we will try something else.

DC
MX Sports

Post a reply to: CRF150 cup at select Nationals?

The Latest