CRF problems

psmb
Fantasy
443rd
Edited Date/Time 12/5/2017 3:40pm
Anybody have more info,

HONDA CRF450 ISSUES:

MXA had issues with our Honda CRF450 during our 450 Shootout time period, given that our CRF450 was one of only a handful of 2017 CRF450s in the country at the time, there was no way to know how well it should perform at the time of our Shootout. Our dyno results were very good on the top-end and especially at peak horsepower, but our test bike (which we started testing in October) wasn’t especially notable in the low-to-mid range. When we sent it back to Honda to have it checked out—and rebuilt, it came back surprisingly better when we re-dyno’ed it for a separate 2017 CRF450 test in the issue following the Shootout issue. There were no changes in peak horsepower, but the low-to-mid transition ran better. Amid a rash of 2017 CRF450 engine failures, most commonly related to failures of the automatic compression release mechanism (shades of 2009), we are not sure what is going on with the CRF450.
|
kkawboy14
12/27/2016 8:28am
They pulled the rag out of the air filter and sent it back......
omalley
12/27/2016 8:45am
Honda added a tooth to the rear, dropped 10cc of oil in the forks, then got graphics that said "Bultaco." Now its Jody's favorite...
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
12/27/2016 9:10am
"Amid a rash of 2017 CRF450 engine failures, most commonly related to failures of the automatic compression release mechanism (shades of 2009)"

Have they substantiated these claims
BobPA
12/27/2016 9:11am
"Amid a [b]rash of 2017 CRF450 engine failures[/b], most commonly related to failures of the automatic compression release mechanism (shades of 2009)" Have they substantiated these...
"Amid a rash of 2017 CRF450 engine failures, most commonly related to failures of the automatic compression release mechanism (shades of 2009)"

I have not heard a single instance of a '17 blowing up, but you never know

The Shop

GPrider
12/27/2016 9:34am
I like how they throw out "Amid a rash of 2017 CRF450 engine failures" so easily. Other than their issue, haven't heard of any. Doesn't mean there isn't an issue, but a rash? How is it not common knowledge at this point? If there is then a replacement part will fix it, done.
Honda129
12/27/2016 9:46am
Ya , wtf? Amid a rash of 17 450 honda's.
My bike seems to be running perfectly since the day I bought it. That's a vague statement!
JWACK
12/27/2016 9:48am
Honda will send out some ointment. No worries.
12/27/2016 9:52am Edited Date/Time 12/27/2016 9:52am
omalley wrote:
Honda added a tooth to the rear, dropped 10cc of oil in the forks, then got graphics that said "Bultaco." Now its Jody's favorite...
They mightve broken something on the engine while changing the fork offset or the rear linkage pull rods.
Superdave19
12/27/2016 10:44am
"rash of engine failures"? ....MXA is the National Enquirer of moto-
tek14
12/27/2016 11:13am
We heard many problems with first bikes but this is first magazine to write about it.
Madmax31
Fantasy
83rd
12/27/2016 11:23am
JWACK wrote:
Honda will send out some ointment. No worries.
LOL, the honda boys are butt hurt.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
12/27/2016 11:50am
tek14 wrote:
We heard many problems with first bikes but this is first magazine to write about it.
I heard the same thing
GPrider
12/27/2016 11:53am
tek14 wrote:
so did Honda correct the issue with the current bikes for sale?
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
12/27/2016 12:07pm
The only problem I have with the new CRF is it isn't in my garage.
TeamGreen
12/27/2016 12:11pm
There were SEVERAL "Pre-Production" bikes in the very beginning...
I believe some of the media-launch bikes at Monster Mt. (?) were pre-prods?
I'd heard of a starting issue/kick-start-back-firing even causing "broken cases" at the kick-starter...?

Since then, I have personally beat the living shit outta 2 CRF-Rs & 2-RXs...in-fact, ML512 and I Roosted ourselves like a coupl'a angry-racers at Cahuilla on some RXs that were ridden for 3 days of media abuse. In Baja-Conditions I've pinged an RX for a few miles and it didn't even flinch.

I've not seen any problems but for -1- magazine blowing their's up and I'll reserve judgement on that...magazine guys...pfffft!

Note: I've seen virtually EVERY BRAND have a Bad-Day in the hands of "Magazine Guys"...even 2 strokes!
kiwifan
12/27/2016 12:32pm
TeamGreen wrote:
There were SEVERAL "Pre-Production" bikes in the very beginning... I believe some of the media-launch bikes at Monster Mt. (?) were pre-prods? I'd heard of a...
I'd heard of a starting issue/kick-start-back-firing even causing "broken cases" at the kick-starter...?

Since then, I have personally beat the living shit outta 2 CRF-Rs & 2-RXs...in-fact, ML512 and I Roosted ourselves like a coupl'a angry-racers at Cahuilla on some RXs that were ridden for 3 days of media abuse. In Baja-Conditions I've pinged an RX for a few miles and it didn't even flinch.

I've not seen any problems but for -1- magazine blowing their's up and I'll reserve judgement on that...magazine guys...pfffft!

Note: I've seen virtually EVERY BRAND have a Bad-Day in the hands of "Magazine Guys"...even 2 strokes!
This, me and my racing buddies were discussing this article and were laughing at the sheer nonsense of it, even the non-Honda lads were saying WTF (2 guys currently own one with zero issues)... I see MXA now have an article saying the 2008 model is better than the 2017....shaking my head at that!!!

Look we know MXA are not Honda fans, so lets put it into perspective.
kiwifan
12/27/2016 12:33pm Edited Date/Time 12/27/2016 12:49pm
tek14 wrote:
lol evidence please? or only hearsay? and who is 'we'?
Uncle Tony
12/27/2016 12:37pm
Got a few hours on mine, no problems at all
JRT812
12/27/2016 1:37pm
Didn't realize there were that many 17 Honda's out there to determine there is a rash of engine failures. Didn't dealers get the Honda's like a month ago?
12/27/2016 1:58pm
MXA needs to change their airfilters more often. Probably trying to choke it up some to alter the power figures
Bruce372
12/27/2016 2:58pm
TeamGreen wrote:
There were SEVERAL "Pre-Production" bikes in the very beginning... I believe some of the media-launch bikes at Monster Mt. (?) were pre-prods? I'd heard of a...

kiwifan wrote:
This, me and my racing buddies were discussing this article and were laughing at the sheer nonsense of it, even the non-Honda lads were saying WTF...
This, me and my racing buddies were discussing this article and were laughing at the sheer nonsense of it, even the non-Honda lads were saying WTF (2 guys currently own one with zero issues)... I see MXA now have an article saying the 2008 model is better than the 2017....shaking my head at that!!!

The rate at which they recycle their articles, MXA should get an environmentally friendly award.
smoothies862
Fantasy
787th
12/27/2016 3:11pm
the yzfs started this way too. hope its not for new Honda owners sake.
I like mxa but the thing that sets off my spidy senses is the reader questions. they seem very fake. maybe not.
RMT
12/27/2016 4:26pm
Many people are telling me about these so called issues and I know some really fabulous people. People that really know a lot about mx bikes. These people have the best mx bikes ever made. When I'm in charge I will stop these new Hondas from comming into our country until we figure out what the real problem is. Look at the problem it's causing in Europe where they just let the Japanese just import a dangerous mx bike. I want all owners to register them so we know where these time bombs could be located. I am the only one that can save you from this death bike.

MXA just seems to using a proven method to freak people out, why is everyone so mad all of a sudden? Bunch of Honda snowflakes.
kiwifan
12/27/2016 4:54pm
RMT wrote:
Many people are telling me about these so called issues and I know some really fabulous people. People that really know a lot about mx bikes...
Many people are telling me about these so called issues and I know some really fabulous people. People that really know a lot about mx bikes. These people have the best mx bikes ever made. When I'm in charge I will stop these new Hondas from comming into our country until we figure out what the real problem is. Look at the problem it's causing in Europe where they just let the Japanese just import a dangerous mx bike. I want all owners to register them so we know where these time bombs could be located. I am the only one that can save you from this death bike.

MXA just seems to using a proven method to freak people out, why is everyone so mad all of a sudden? Bunch of Honda snowflakes.
WTF??? Well you had better get onto the KTM's that have exploding wheels (kinda more serious) and the Yamaha cracked frames (even more serious)....but you NEVER posted about stopping those bikes....sounds to me like you are full of shit.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
12/27/2016 4:56pm
RMT wrote:
Many people are telling me about these so called issues and I know some really fabulous people. People that really know a lot about mx bikes...

kiwifan wrote:
WTF??? Well you had better get onto the KTM's that have exploding wheels (kinda more serious) and the Yamaha cracked frames (even more serious)....but you NEVER...
WTF??? Well you had better get onto the KTM's that have exploding wheels (kinda more serious) and the Yamaha cracked frames (even more serious)....but you NEVER posted about stopping those bikes....sounds to me like you are full of shit.
I think you missed the joke (acting like Donald Trump in his posting style).
JM485
12/27/2016 4:59pm Edited Date/Time 12/27/2016 6:23pm
RMT wrote:

kiwifan wrote:
WTF??? Well you had better get onto the KTM's that have exploding wheels (kinda more serious) and the Yamaha cracked frames (even more serious)....but you NEVER...
I think he's making a very thinly veiled (and pretty stupid at that) political reference that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread or Honda.

Edit: looks like ML holeshat me.
kiwifan
12/27/2016 5:44pm
RMT wrote:

kiwifan wrote:
ML512 wrote:
I think you missed the joke (acting like Donald Trump in his posting style).
oh my bad ..... blame it on the leftover eggnog Smile
Crush
12/28/2016 1:18pm
"Amid a [b]rash of 2017 CRF450 engine failures[/b], most commonly related to failures of the automatic compression release mechanism (shades of 2009)" Have they substantiated these...

That is some aggressive writing.
ginger969
12/28/2016 1:26pm
TeamGreen wrote:

thanks for the insight Smile I was cringing a bit but have had zero issues now on 4 rides
ginger969
12/28/2016 1:28pm
TeamGreen wrote:

kiwifan wrote:
This, me and my racing buddies were discussing this article and were laughing at the sheer nonsense of it, even the non-Honda lads were saying WTF...

haha and the fact that the KXF beat out the Honda, and YZF lol - superb handling? psshhh

Post a reply to: CRF problems

The Latest