***CRATE BIKE***

2stoked
Edited Date/Time 8/1/2019 6:03pm
So I’m in the market for a new bike and the local dealer wants to charge quite a bit for assembly. I tried to get them to just sell me the crate bike but that was a no go...... Even tried to pay straight cash but he wasn’t having it. So pretty much my question is can I buy a bike straight from the factory? Or am I stuck paying the assembly fee? I tried looking stuff up online but didn’t really see any straight answers about it. Thanks! Braapppp!!!!
|
racerxx276
7/31/2019 6:03pm
Its about liability , the manufacturer won't allow anyone other than the dealer assemble it.

There are exceptions of course... but it won't happen for the average joe.
JohnnyD13
7/31/2019 6:13pm
That’s funny them being worried about liability. When I picked up my 2018 CRF450r it was missing all the handle bar straps to hold all the twisted wires. The front wheel pinch bolts were loose on one side and the front brake line was inside the number plate. I would think it’s less liable you getting it in the crate!
hbdesigns913
7/31/2019 6:21pm
Rock river Yamaha will sell you one in the crate. The cost of shipping cost more than setup so it’s not going to save you anything
omalley
7/31/2019 6:36pm
JohnnyD13 wrote:
That’s funny them being worried about liability. When I picked up my 2018 CRF450r it was missing all the handle bar straps to hold all the...
That’s funny them being worried about liability. When I picked up my 2018 CRF450r it was missing all the handle bar straps to hold all the twisted wires. The front wheel pinch bolts were loose on one side and the front brake line was inside the number plate. I would think it’s less liable you getting it in the crate!
Yep. I wouldn’t trust the average dealer booger eater...oops, I mean tech...to tighten an axle nut, let alone prep the bike. I’ve found more loose/mid-installed shit than you can shake a stick at. And one empty gearbox...

The Shop

Bruce372
7/31/2019 6:39pm
It's nothing to do with liability, it's to do with bull shit fees.

I had one bike with the wheel spacers backwards, another with the pinch bolts loose and another with the fork sticker upside down.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
7/31/2019 6:45pm
Go elsewhere, dealers do it all the time.
dang472
Fantasy
505th
7/31/2019 6:48pm
Better yet when I went to pick up my brand new 2000 RM125 from a multi line dealer, it had a KX125 front wheel on it. Pretty easy to spot because Kawasaki had those U shaped rims for a few years.
JM485
7/31/2019 7:05pm
Bruce372 wrote:
It's nothing to do with liability, it's to do with bull shit fees. I had one bike with the wheel spacers backwards, another with the pinch...
It's nothing to do with liability, it's to do with bull shit fees.

I had one bike with the wheel spacers backwards, another with the pinch bolts loose and another with the fork sticker upside down.
I've still yet to ever get a bike with the front wheel installed correctly.
Monk
7/31/2019 7:22pm
I've bought a couple crate bikes, but I had an established relationship beforehand...
Paw Paw 271
7/31/2019 7:39pm
You may want to look at purchasing it out of Canada in a crate and having it shipped. I did this a few years back on a new Husqvarna. No issues at all.

Paw Paw
Xeno
7/31/2019 9:37pm
Some dealers will sell crated bikes. But it’s more of a hassle to get it delivered in a crate (and it’s a hassle to dispose of the crate afterward).
I dismantle new bikes in order to grease everything, prep all the fasteners and modify vent hoses and wiring- so paying the dealer to install the handlebars is minor in the overall scope of work.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
7/31/2019 10:19pm
Rock river Yamaha will sell you one in the crate. The cost of shipping cost more than setup so it’s not going to save you anything
Don't forget some dealers also charge shipping so might still be better.

I dream of the day when I can order a crate bike with no wheels/tires, sprockets/chain, plastic, pipe, handlebar etc. and I can piece it together like I do my mountain bikes.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
7/31/2019 10:40pm
Where do you live ?

There are several I know of that can help you out with no sales tax and crates bike.
It does have to do with liability from what I understand. but there are ways around it.
Motofinne
7/31/2019 10:55pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2019 10:59pm
You didn't specify what brand we're talking about but i think that it is next to impossible to buy created KTMs and Huskys because the dealer has to "activate" the ECU in some way, otherwise it will stop running after a few hours?

That is what i've read, someone can correct me if i'm wrong!
tcallahan707
7/31/2019 11:15pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
Don't forget some dealers also charge shipping so might still be better. I dream of the day when I can order a crate bike with no...

I dream of the day when I can order a crate bike with no wheels/tires, sprockets/chain, plastic, pipe, handlebar etc. and I can piece it together like I do my mountain bikes.
A man can dream can't they?

2stoked
8/1/2019 7:20am
I live in Georgia. I was really wanting to get a new KX450F. The only dealers around here are “Mountain Motorsport”. They are so rude and awful at these dealers is unbelievable. So pretty much I wanna save a little and make sure they don’t get my support.
hbdesigns913
8/1/2019 7:27am
2stoked wrote:
I live in Georgia. I was really wanting to get a new KX450F. The only dealers around here are “Mountain Motorsport”. They are so rude and...
I live in Georgia. I was really wanting to get a new KX450F. The only dealers around here are “Mountain Motorsport”. They are so rude and awful at these dealers is unbelievable. So pretty much I wanna save a little and make sure they don’t get my support.
Dude Kawasaki of Rome! Located in Rome GA. Family owned kawi dealer for years. They helped my brother and I back in the 90s when we raced. Why would you waste your time with some cooperate chain dealer?
Ingjr1
8/1/2019 8:00am
Most of the time it takes about an hour to uncrate and piece the bike together. Outrageous trumped up fees is the problem. Charging $400 + to put a MX bike together is outrageous.
Hoks
8/1/2019 8:33am
2stoked wrote:
I live in Georgia. I was really wanting to get a new KX450F. The only dealers around here are “Mountain Motorsport”. They are so rude and...
Did you see that dealer that had fire damage? They are selling bikes at bargain prices that have cosmetic damages, so if you don’t mind polishing up a frame and buying a new seat cover you can get some sweet deals. They had a 2019 CRF 450 for like $6,000.
three9zero
8/1/2019 8:45am
2stoked wrote:
So I’m in the market for a new bike and the local dealer wants to charge quite a bit for assembly. I tried to get them...
So I’m in the market for a new bike and the local dealer wants to charge quite a bit for assembly. I tried to get them to just sell me the crate bike but that was a no go...... Even tried to pay straight cash but he wasn’t having it. So pretty much my question is can I buy a bike straight from the factory? Or am I stuck paying the assembly fee? I tried looking stuff up online but didn’t really see any straight answers about it. Thanks! Braapppp!!!!
If you have been a long standing customer who is a pleasure to deal with, most dealers will do you a solid and let you take your bike in the crate.....I do and have I the past, but I make sure the person knows they waive all chances of us claiming any crate damage.
Talisker
8/1/2019 9:36am
I purchased quite a few bikes in the crate every year. Your higher volume or high level dealers will ship them. The lower level or volume dealers like to use the "Freight and Set up Fee' to make extra money. They also don't like to tell you any rebates at the time, so they will double dip. Call around and ALWAYS check the current rebates a manufacturer is offering so you don't get screwed.

BobPA
8/1/2019 9:39am
TriRacer27 wrote:
Don't forget some dealers also charge shipping so might still be better. I dream of the day when I can order a crate bike with no...

Dealers charge for shipping (destination fee) because they are charged freight from the manufacturers. Most people think this is a BS fee, well I am here to tell you, it is not. You can look on most manufacturers websites, and it will tell you exactly what they charge.

And for the people complaining about a setup fee....How much do you really think a dealer makes on a unit? Have that number in your head? Divide it by 4. Dealers make absolute shit on bike sales. The "set up fee" helps cover the cost of putting the bike together, WorldPay/credit card companies fees, astronomical insurances costs, cost of fluids for units (oil and antifreeze are always low, ZERO fuel in bikes), tools required to put bikes together, disposal of shipping crates, fork lift costs, etc. etc.
40acres
8/1/2019 9:48am
100% it has to do with liability. There's even a safety checklist that has to be signed by the assembler, then the salesman, then the customer. Manufacturers will actually send reps to dealers to spot check these. Some dealers will give you a curated bike and some will not. It all has to do with the type of relationship you have with a certain dealer. But, HUGE liability if someone buys a crated bike and ends up filing a lawsuit later after injuring themselves. Dealers can loose their franchise agreements with a manufacturer for shit like that. Don't get too angry that they don't know or trust you to not sue their pants off, just find another dealer that will sell a crated bike. As stated before, this is usually the large volume shops who order so many bikes from manufacturers that they'll just look the other way.
2stoked
8/1/2019 10:08am
2stoked wrote:
Hoks wrote:
Did you see that dealer that had fire damage? They are selling bikes at bargain prices that have cosmetic damages, so if you don’t mind polishing...
Did you see that dealer that had fire damage? They are selling bikes at bargain prices that have cosmetic damages, so if you don’t mind polishing up a frame and buying a new seat cover you can get some sweet deals. They had a 2019 CRF 450 for like $6,000.
No I didn’t see that! I don’t mind working on bikes. I think I like working on them more then riding lol
2stoked
8/1/2019 10:11am
Talisker wrote:
I purchased quite a few bikes in the crate every year. Your higher volume or high level dealers will ship them. The lower level or volume...
I purchased quite a few bikes in the crate every year. Your higher volume or high level dealers will ship them. The lower level or volume dealers like to use the "Freight and Set up Fee' to make extra money. They also don't like to tell you any rebates at the time, so they will double dip. Call around and ALWAYS check the current rebates a manufacturer is offering so you don't get screwed.

😯😯 duuudddeeee that’s awesome I’m so jealous hahaha if I had that many new bike in my house I would never get anything done
2stoked
8/1/2019 10:15am
2stoked wrote:
Dude Kawasaki of Rome! Located in Rome GA. Family owned kawi dealer for years. They helped my brother and I back in the 90s when we...
Dude Kawasaki of Rome! Located in Rome GA. Family owned kawi dealer for years. They helped my brother and I back in the 90s when we raced. Why would you waste your time with some cooperate chain dealer?
I’ll have to check them out. I live in cobb so Rome is only like a hour away. Yea I hate these big dealers like I wouldn’t mind paying those random fees I guess if I had really good customer service. They think they’re doing you a favor and want you to kiss there ass cause they know you can’t really buy a brand new bike without really having to go out of your way.
2stoked
8/1/2019 10:26am
TriRacer27 wrote:

BobPA wrote:
Dealers charge for shipping (destination fee) because they are charged freight from the manufacturers. Most people think this is a BS fee, well I am here...
Dealers charge for shipping (destination fee) because they are charged freight from the manufacturers. Most people think this is a BS fee, well I am here to tell you, it is not. You can look on most manufacturers websites, and it will tell you exactly what they charge.

And for the people complaining about a setup fee....How much do you really think a dealer makes on a unit? Have that number in your head? Divide it by 4. Dealers make absolute shit on bike sales. The "set up fee" helps cover the cost of putting the bike together, WorldPay/credit card companies fees, astronomical insurances costs, cost of fluids for units (oil and antifreeze are always low, ZERO fuel in bikes), tools required to put bikes together, disposal of shipping crates, fork lift costs, etc. etc.
I understand they need to make money but not 400+ for a set up fee. I could set up the whole bike in less than a hour or two. They price price gouge people thinking they don’t know anything about bikes. You think it’s worth 400+ to get handlebars, levers, tires, and some basic fluids? I don’t think so that’s for sure. They even charge a set up fee on used bikes. I doubt that reset up a used bike lol Maybe go through them to make sure everything’s good but that should just happen when buying a used bike anyways they shouldn’t charge people a set fee for checking a bikes condition
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
8/1/2019 10:36am Edited Date/Time 8/1/2019 10:38am
TriRacer27 wrote:

BobPA wrote:
Dealers charge for shipping (destination fee) because they are charged freight from the manufacturers. Most people think this is a BS fee, well I am here...

2stoked wrote:
I understand they need to make money but not 400+ for a set up fee. I could set up the whole bike in less than a...
I understand they need to make money but not 400+ for a set up fee. I could set up the whole bike in less than a hour or two. They price price gouge people thinking they don’t know anything about bikes. You think it’s worth 400+ to get handlebars, levers, tires, and some basic fluids? I don’t think so that’s for sure. They even charge a set up fee on used bikes. I doubt that reset up a used bike lol Maybe go through them to make sure everything’s good but that should just happen when buying a used bike anyways they shouldn’t charge people a set fee for checking a bikes condition
I agree. I don't want to pay an extra $400+ to any dealer just to put on a front wheel, bars and check the fluids. I can do it all in 15 minutes myself.

I'd rather give them the $400+ in parts for the new bike or gear.
40acres
8/1/2019 10:37am
2stoked wrote:
I understand they need to make money but not 400+ for a set up fee. I could set up the whole bike in less than a...
Setup on used bikes is a rarity, but it makes sense if they have to go through a bike and do a tune up.

And a $400 setup fee is just them trying to make a little money. You know, kind of like anyone who owns a business?

They have to make money somewhere when everyone and their mother comes in asking "what's your best price OTD?"

When I was in sales I just said fuck it and sold all MX bikes at 5% off with no freight and prep just to stay competitive. And wouldn't you know, every tom, dick and harry still asked for more discounts. I love everything about MX aside from selling MX bikes. What a horrible fucking community to deal with as a sales rep.

You know what you're entitled to? MSRP, taxes, setup and shipping fee. That's it. Don't like it? Find a different dealer.

Nothing Bob stated was a lie. Dealers don't make fuck all on new bikes for the most part, so they're just trying to make a little money to keep the doors open. Get angry at the manufacturer, not the dealer.
BobPA
8/1/2019 11:02am
2stoked wrote:
$400 is a bit salty, that is for sure. But, you are completely missing the point of my last post. The setup fee also covers the other costs that go into putting a bike on the showroom floor.

Do you own a commercial property where an 18 wheeler will stop for deliveries?
Do you have a forklift to unload all of the crates at your house?
Do you have someone on standby to unload crates not during business hours? (Happens all the time)
Do you have sufficient room to store unopened crates?
Do you have the means to remove of, and dispose, of all the crate material?
Do you have time to inspect every unit for cosmetic damage, and then fill out the necessary paper work when there is damage?
Do you own the basic toolset to properly setup a unit?
Do you own the basic skill set to properly setup a unit?
Do you have the ridiculous insurance required to be a dealer for new units?
Do you have insurance in case one of your employees makes a mistake setting up a unit?
Do you have the OEM fluids on hand to top everything off?
Do you have a showroom to present the bike?
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

There is a lot more than you could ever imagine that goes into running a dealership. They aren’t so expensive because they want to be, they are so expensive because they have to be.

Post a reply to: ***CRATE BIKE***

The Latest