CP377 retires from racing

mxjon454
12/13/2017 9:53pm
Cortami79 wrote:
I always love riders who can ride seemingly effortless around the track, CP is one of them. I remember a MXGP in Matterly Basin where he...
I always love riders who can ride seemingly effortless around the track, CP is one of them. I remember a MXGP in Matterly Basin where he litterally was riding on the grass on some spots in order to find a perfect smooth line. Same goes for Unadilla (2009?) and most of his outdoor races. He was one of the guys I really went to races for back when he was racing GP's. Any more good stories about him? I've read a story about testing at Glen Helen with the PC team and he wasn't feeling it but Mitch demanded him to ride one solid lap, so he did only one and he had the fastest all day right there.
Yup thats true, theres a interview about it with Mitch, idk if it was from racerx or MXA. Mitch said that CP cranked out a lap that was like 3 or 4 seconds faster then Reeds, who had the fastest lap that day on a 450 too. Then Mitch said CP came in and the whole team was super pumped about it, and he just shrugged it off and said, what you guys dont think i can go fast?!? Lol man CP was a legend. Will definitely miss seeing him out there, but glad he went out on his own terms and healthy for his terms. Man what couldve been if Kawi wouldve signed him in 2011 and he kept the ball rolling after winning back to back 250 east titles. I dont see why Honda didnt sign him in 2011 when they had just signed Canard and Grant, surely they had thse money to have both Canard and Pourcel. A team of Canard and CP in 2011 wouldve been solid!
NVA57
Fantasy
1560th
12/14/2017 12:55am
Cortami79 wrote:
I always love riders who can ride seemingly effortless around the track, CP is one of them. I remember a MXGP in Matterly Basin where he...
I always love riders who can ride seemingly effortless around the track, CP is one of them. I remember a MXGP in Matterly Basin where he litterally was riding on the grass on some spots in order to find a perfect smooth line. Same goes for Unadilla (2009?) and most of his outdoor races. He was one of the guys I really went to races for back when he was racing GP's. Any more good stories about him? I've read a story about testing at Glen Helen with the PC team and he wasn't feeling it but Mitch demanded him to ride one solid lap, so he did only one and he had the fastest all day right there.
Back in his early GP days, he would come out on track last minute in time practices and still top the charts.

Even recently in the outdoors he would just roll around the entire timed practice and then on the very last minute he cranks out the fastest lap. Crazy how he could just go from 0 to 100 in one lap.
daemon616
12/14/2017 2:12am
I'm hoping Matthes finds a way to do a podcast with him whether pulp or a side podcast. Definitely deserves it despite anything. To me he was JMB to or DV etc to and extent. The next being Marvin. I don't see how you can hate this guy.
Jrewing
12/14/2017 2:14am
philG wrote:
Awesome rider, would pay to watch him ride alone.. Congrats on a great career.
Sure would hey. One of my all-time favourites

The Shop

12/14/2017 4:01am
One of my favourite riders ever! Amazing to watch ride. I loved the 2009 and 2010 outdoor seasons.

Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
12/14/2017 4:22am
bball35 wrote:
One of the best races I have ever witnessed in person was at Steel City in 2010 when CP and Canard battled it out both motos.
Was that the day Canard crashed in moto 2 and broke his collar bone?
ruy
12/14/2017 5:35am Edited Date/Time 12/14/2017 6:34am

It was the only pro with which you could talk on Facebook regularly, even playing poker online, good guy, French, for those who are not, always have their things Lol. After cutting relationships with DV12 and that change, closed his Facebook ... I'm glad that this Superman retires healthy. I wish you all the best Cris.

Ted722
12/14/2017 6:36am
An artist on a dirt bike and his canvas was the moto track. Always enjoyed watching him ride with his creativity, smooth style and outright speed. Congrats Christophe!

P.S. Also enjoyed reading other riders comments about the Crafty Frenchman.

“It brought back old times for sure,” said Baggett. “He’s crafty and that’s why he’s got the nickname the Crafty Frenchman. It’s pretty fun racing him. I try to take the most oddball lines I can to make him work, but he’s always in them for some reason.”

Baggett gets to use creative lines as a weapon against most riders—and his signature El Chupacabra charges in the 250 Class were often rooted in going outside when no one else would. He says that doesn’t work against Pourcel, though.

http://racerxonline.com/2015/06/30/unsung-hero-the-crafty-ones
MX76er
12/14/2017 7:27am
TeamGreen wrote:
I blame Matt Goerke!
MX76er wrote:
Blame the CMRC or CMA for having a rule that if a riders missed a post race podium interview they lose race points.....Porcel lost the Canadian...
Blame the CMRC or CMA for having a rule that if a riders missed a post race podium interview they lose race points.....Porcel lost the Canadian championship because of this! Lame lame lame
TeamGreen wrote:
Sure.

That's it!
Check the point race. Lost title by 3 points.... Could've won title if points were not taken from him for a missed post race podium interview......Don't see how you can argue this......
keinz
12/14/2017 7:28am
C'mon gyus. It's topic about CP377 retirerment. Let's make it at least 10 pager. Pictures, storys, and so on
yz133rider
12/14/2017 10:48am
I also try to mimic his riding, missing bumps, being smooth, etc, whenever I hit certain bumps I think pourcel would have never hit that line, gotta be smarter
coastie44
12/14/2017 10:55am
Panic_Rev wrote:
What a great example of how a simple gesture shows appreciation for the industry and fans. One camp should take notice.
This!!!
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
12/14/2017 11:12am
Kawi not signing him in 2011 was BS, but I guess he wanted to much money. Would have been cool to see him in his prime on that bike in the 450s.
braaap707
12/14/2017 12:30pm
Big fan of the crafty frenchmen from day one in the PC days. Fibally got to meet him at Unadilla 2014 when he was on yamaha racing the lites class. He went 1-2 that day and got the overall. Talked to him in the pits for what must have been 10 minutes before the motos. Asking me where I was from and what I rode. What i thought of the track and ive ever ridden it. I was beyond starstruck that a pro of his caliber was talking to me. He kept apologizing that his english wasn't good hahaa. Very genuine guy and made me an even bigger fan. Once he switched Husky factory team I was really looking forward to a comeback for him. He may not have light the world on fire but had some good results and showed his raw speed. His personality was different then some of the US riders but I feel what ppl thought was arrogance was really just a mixture of him trying to be sarcastic and funny with a little bit of a language barrier in their too. Some people could catch that others couldnt. I hope he has a good life after racing.

hyler199
12/14/2017 1:24pm
ruy wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/12/14/231590/s1200_pourcel_2.jpg[/img] It was the only pro with which you could talk on Facebook regularly, even playing poker online, good guy, French, for those who are not...

It was the only pro with which you could talk on Facebook regularly, even playing poker online, good guy, French, for those who are not, always have their things Lol. After cutting relationships with DV12 and that change, closed his Facebook ... I'm glad that this Superman retires healthy. I wish you all the best Cris.

i like this thread. the 2nd pic is dope
12/14/2017 1:25pm
braaap707 wrote:
Big fan of the crafty frenchmen from day one in the PC days. Fibally got to meet him at Unadilla 2014 when he was on yamaha...
Big fan of the crafty frenchmen from day one in the PC days. Fibally got to meet him at Unadilla 2014 when he was on yamaha racing the lites class. He went 1-2 that day and got the overall. Talked to him in the pits for what must have been 10 minutes before the motos. Asking me where I was from and what I rode. What i thought of the track and ive ever ridden it. I was beyond starstruck that a pro of his caliber was talking to me. He kept apologizing that his english wasn't good hahaa. Very genuine guy and made me an even bigger fan. Once he switched Husky factory team I was really looking forward to a comeback for him. He may not have light the world on fire but had some good results and showed his raw speed. His personality was different then some of the US riders but I feel what ppl thought was arrogance was really just a mixture of him trying to be sarcastic and funny with a little bit of a language barrier in their too. Some people could catch that others couldnt. I hope he has a good life after racing.

Awesome
JB479
12/14/2017 10:02pm
Anyone remember highpoint 2009 or 2010 when he busted out the tunnel jump first couple of laps in the second moto? Think he was the only rider to do that all day? Unbelievable talent.
mxjon454
12/14/2017 10:32pm
bball35 wrote:
One of the best races I have ever witnessed in person was at Steel City in 2010 when CP and Canard battled it out both motos.
Tarz483 wrote:
Was that the day Canard crashed in moto 2 and broke his collar bone?
No, Canard went 1-1 that day and straight up best CP, but it was a awesome race. When they were on the podium at the end of the day the crowd was booing CP and Canard basically told them all to shut it and show some respect.
brimx153
12/15/2017 1:09am
awsome rider , would love to have a compilation of all the poll positions he got .even when he was on the flying lap he was smooth as hell
willie838
12/15/2017 1:39am
beautiful flowing graceful effortless riding style.

it was a pleasure to watch him race and enjoy some successs after such a horrific injury.

god speed champ!
jamma10
12/15/2017 2:52am Edited Date/Time 12/15/2017 3:02am
Park Boys wrote:
Kawi not signing him in 2011 was BS, but I guess he wanted to much money. Would have been cool to see him in his prime...
Kawi not signing him in 2011 was BS, but I guess he wanted to much money. Would have been cool to see him in his prime on that bike in the 450s.
That derailed his whole career unfortunately. That 450 ride should have been his all day long.

Pourcel insisted that Mike Fisher never even approached him. He wrote as much on his Facebook and Im sure I read a long statement from Pourcel that explained things from his perspective.

EDIT I think this was the statement I remember http://m.vitalmx.com/news/press-release/Injury-Update-and-Statement-Regarding-Christophe-Pourcels-2011-Contract,8320

Phantom 661
12/15/2017 8:23am
Wow. The talent pool in this sport has been disappearing the last couple years or so.
CP was fast and smooth!
KiwiJack
12/15/2017 8:43am
Pourcel has amazing style on a bike. I always loved how Baggett would talk about studying CP's riding to try and improve himself. It was disappointing when he didn't get the Kawi ride in 2011. Coming off two titles/two almost outdoor titles, he could have done some real damage in the 450 class. Nevertheless, glad to see him go out on his own terms, especially after the injuries he's had.

Post a reply to: CP377 retires from racing

The Latest