CL smoker deal of the day

Related:
Create New Tag

1/10/2018 2:14 PM

|

1/10/2018 3:09 PM

Pretty good deal. Custom tank is dope.

|

Twitter: @bayodome
Instagram: @bayodome

1/10/2018 3:11 PM

Question for the fabricators out there....how hard is it to make a custom fuel tank like this? I have always thought that this was EXTREMELY difficult and time consuming and thus required some serious justification (full factory, full race series, more capacity, etc).

Yet someone went to the trouble of making one here for Alessi, where the stock tank would have worked fine, for use at a single race. It almost suggests that building one is not that hard at all. I'm confused. Or is this a tank available to the public (economies of scale)?

|

1/10/2018 3:18 PM

Someone posted this last month, too. Seems like a decent price for a custom built bike. Wonder why they're having a hard time selling it?

|

1/10/2018 3:32 PM

mx_563 wrote:

Question for the fabricators out there....how hard is it to make a custom fuel tank like this? I have always thought that this was EXTREMELY difficult and time consuming and thus required some serious justification (full factory, full race series, more capacity, etc).

Yet someone went to the trouble of making one here for Alessi, where the stock tank would have worked fine, for use at a single race. It almost suggests that building one is not that hard at all. I'm confused. Or is this a tank available to the public (economies of scale)?

It would honestly be a pretty big pain in the ass. But with the right equipment it wouldn’t be horrible. The hardest part would be getting the bolt holes to match up perfectly.

|

1/10/2018 4:26 PM

The tank on Mikes bike is available to the public thru XFun in Italy. It is smaller than a stock tank. Ask me how I know......wink
https://www.vitalmx.com/community/langhammx,27612/setup,60415

But this one was a Factory Suzuki tank that probably cost Suzuki $2500+ to have made. But I'm just throwing out an educated guess. It's currently on a buddies bike, but I'm hoping that it'll end up on my next build, if I can get him to part with it. tongue

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

1/10/2018 4:29 PM

Man those aluminum tanks are very displeasing to the eye imo

|

1/10/2018 4:30 PM

^^^ The one you posted is different than the one shown on Mike's bike. His has the RMZ shroud.

I didn't check the website so maybe you have the option to choose the stock RM tank or one that accommodates the RMZ shrouds. No idea.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

1/10/2018 4:32 PM

observeroffacts wrote:

Man those aluminum tanks are very displeasing to the eye imo

I agree, I don't personally like them. Maybe if it was powder coated it would look better.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

1/10/2018 4:40 PM

The motor was built in Temecula during a massive moto-bro party. Watch out!

|

1/10/2018 5:05 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

^^^ The one you posted is different than the one shown on Mike's bike. His has the RMZ shroud.

I didn't check the website so maybe you have the option to choose the stock RM tank or one that accommodates the RMZ shrouds. No idea.

I posted a link to the tank on my bike, but I'll post a pic for you-
Photo

The other 3 pics are of a tank that is NOT available. It was a factory tank (as noted)

|

1/10/2018 5:06 PM

Harry Backmon wrote:

The motor was built in Temecula during a massive moto-bro party. Watch out!

So Friese wouldn’t have been there right?

|

1/10/2018 5:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/10/2018 5:09 PM

I think that bike is really cool! Custom aluminum tanks have always been intriguing to me. A few guys that run the regional Enduro series I race (ACES) have custom alum tanks on their YZ’s. Handmade parts are just rad.

|

1/10/2018 5:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/10/2018 5:09 PM

observeroffacts wrote:

Man those aluminum tanks are very displeasing to the eye imo

The tank that has the OEM RM shrouds would look much better with graphics that covered the shrouds and the sides of the tank. Then again.... It may not be for everyone.

|

1/10/2018 5:09 PM

I just picked up this sweet 2003 KX250 for $1500

Photo

|

1/10/2018 7:28 PM

mx_563 wrote:

Question for the fabricators out there....how hard is it to make a custom fuel tank like this? I have always thought that this was EXTREMELY difficult and time consuming and thus required some serious justification (full factory, full race series, more capacity, etc).

Yet someone went to the trouble of making one here for Alessi, where the stock tank would have worked fine, for use at a single race. It almost suggests that building one is not that hard at all. I'm confused. Or is this a tank available to the public (economies of scale)?

Much much harder than you think. In fact, I may be a shade off......but I seem to remember they did a special on them building on for James bike. He wanted the bike to feel slimmer so they were gonna take the sides in a bit without a affecting fuel capacity. They said when all is said an done, It was a 10k dollar piece. Keep in mind, this is factory machinery and I'm sure included design time on CAD and everything else. But, though I've never done one, it looks like a pretty substantial endeavor.

And I think it takes the right bike to pull off an aluminum tank. If they shoe too much of the aluminum it can look funny, but accented with graphics they can look mega trick. I say if you get to rock an aluminum tank, polish it to a frickin mirror just to show it off.

|

1/10/2018 9:47 PM

sickboy3636 wrote:

Much much harder than you think. In fact, I may be a shade off......but I seem to remember they did a special on them building on for James bike. He wanted the bike to feel slimmer so they were gonna take the sides in a bit without a affecting fuel capacity. They said when all is said an done, It was a 10k dollar piece. Keep in mind, this is factory machinery and I'm sure included design time on CAD and everything else. But, though I've never done one, it looks like a pretty substantial endeavor.

And I think it takes the right bike to pull off an aluminum tank. If they shoe too much of the aluminum it can look funny, but accented with graphics they can look mega trick. I say if you get to rock an aluminum tank, polish it to a frickin mirror just to show it off.

I've heard prices like that before too, but I take them with a grain of salt. Especially since the stories infer that the actual cost to build them is that high, not necessarily that it's the price that'd be charged to a customer.

XFun sells some pretty cool aluminum tanks for right about $700, in different capacities. That means that the cost for them to produce them is much lower, probably less than half. So while they may not be quite as "personalized" as a factory tank, it'd be hard to imagine that it would cost about $9600 more to build than the XFun tanks.

|

1/11/2018 6:41 AM

Extremely lightweight RMZ build in the background?
Photo

|

1/11/2018 7:46 AM

Worked in the automotive industry for about 19 yrs. after high school with fabrication of sheet metal & aluminum. I'd think with a good cad software & the right tools that aluminum tank can be built for a lot less with a seasoned skilled tech..

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.