CARB chief threatens to ban internal combustion engines

Related:
Create New Tag

5/19/2019 10:59 AM

Not fake news.
“CARB will be exploring ways to ensure communities get the reductions of air pollution they so desperately need to keep the air clean and breathable -- and continue to fight climate change,” Nichols said in the drafted remarks, which she did not deliver exactly as prepared. “That might mean, for example, tougher requirements for low-carbon fuels, looking at tighter health-protective regulations on California refineries, doubling down on our enforcement efforts on mobile and stationary sources -- and might lead to an outright ban on internal combustion engines.”

What planet is this woman from, exactly? (This won't happen- it has to do with CA's battle with Trump over tailpipe standards. But it shows you the zeal of this movement, which is completely willing to ignore reality).

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-16/california-regulator-threatens-trump-with-gasoline-engine-ban

|

5/19/2019 11:47 AM

|

5/19/2019 11:49 AM

Markee wrote:

I hear this at least once a day haha

|

5/19/2019 12:12 PM

Go ahead and ban them so long as you’re prepared for the shitshow that follows. The entire state will grind to a halt within a week.

|

5/19/2019 12:17 PM

The reality is it is happening all over the world. We are probably 20 years away from ICE being completely replaced or outlawed. The only thing holding electric vehicles back is price and that is dropping substantially all the time.

|

5/19/2019 12:26 PM

tcannon521 wrote:

The reality is it is happening all over the world. We are probably 20 years away from ICE being completely replaced or outlawed. The only thing holding electric vehicles back is price and that is dropping substantially all the time.

Yep, several world government and manufacturers (Mercedes being one) have already announced all-electric. ICEs will be around for a few more decades I think, but I can't see it really sticking around much longer than that.

|

5/19/2019 12:30 PM

That idiot chick is living in la-la land. Before you actually ban something....it might be wise to have a viable and logical replacement. And just like NY , if you tax the shit out of people....guess what?.....They leave. We are all for clean air and so forth , but Christ this isn't the land of rainbow's and unicorn's and we can't get to our jobs on flying fucking carpet's!

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

5/19/2019 12:30 PM

tcannon521 wrote:

Battery technology is not there yet. In order for it to happen, there needs to be a major breakthrough in battery technology where they are cheaper to manufacture, produce longer run times and not damage the environment any more than ICE after every landfill in the world is filled with used batteries containing who knows what chemicals that are deemed to be the next best thing.

|

5/19/2019 12:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2019 12:35 PM

reded wrote:

Battery technology is not there yet. In order for it to happen, there needs to be a major breakthrough in battery technology where they are cheaper to manufacture, produce longer run times and not damage the environment any more than ICE after every landfill in the world is filled with used batteries containing who knows what chemicals that are deemed to be the next best thing.

Everything is there minus cost which is dropping very fast.

As for the environmental concerns, batteries are being recycled and the dangerous components you speak of are salt and trace amounts of nickel and cobalt. The last 2 are almost removed completely now for Tesla.

|

5/19/2019 12:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2019 1:12 PM

tcannon521 wrote:

reded wrote:

All of that lithium in the water table ought to be interesting.

|

5/19/2019 12:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2019 12:42 PM

tcannon521 wrote:

reded wrote:

tcannon521 wrote:

As for the environmental concerns, batteries are being recycled and the dangerous components you speak of are salt and trace amounts of nickel and cobalt. The last 2 are almost removed completely now for Tesla.

The folks at Alta might have a different outlook.

Get back to me with your story about batteries when I can tow 10k lbs 300 miles, pull into a station, get a full charge in under 10 minutes and be on my way.

|

5/19/2019 12:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2019 12:48 PM

reded wrote:

The folks at Alta might have a different outlook.

Get back to me with your story about batteries when I can tow 10k lbs 300 miles, pull into a station, get a full charge in under 10 minutes and be on my way.

Alta sold as many bikes in 5 years as Tesla does in 4 hours. Comparing the auto industry to the powersports industry is a terrible comparison.

As for the towing scenario, it’s a lot closer to reality than we can fathom. Look at how much the EV market has evolved in 6 years. Like I said, 20 years from now people will scoff at the idea we waited so long or fought the idea to evolve our transportation means.

|

5/19/2019 12:47 PM

And recharging batteries is a lot less efficient than directly producing power from fuel. For every kilowatt of power that you use to charge a battery, you only get a percentage of that power back when using the energy stored in it.
Not only that, but we do not have any where near the electrical grid capacity to run all of society off of it.
Also, the green freaks seem to want to ban all economical forms of producing electricity.
Why people vote these morons into positions of power is beyond my comprehension.

|

5/19/2019 12:51 PM

Are all the metals and meterials to supply enough batteries really available to replace all the gas vehicles ?

What's the environmental impact of mining and chemical process to build that many EVS ?

If no gasoline is produced where does all the petroleum by product come from to make the millions of products that use it, and what will it cost?

Is there an electrical infrastructure to handle the switchover. ?

How many tons of global warming CO2 does it take to charge every EV in the US.

What happens when the power grid goes down and you can't charge your car ?

|

5/19/2019 12:58 PM

As long as there is a dollar to be made from pumping oil out of the center of this orb, electric propulsion will take a backseat to burning gas/diesel.

I’m not an opponent, I think it would be awesome to have the scenario that I outlined above. Quieter vehicles with no fuel mess definitely seem like better option in my opinion but EV is still in the initial stages and I’m not buying in until it’s proven to be up to the task and all infrastructure is in place to make owning such a vehicle convenient.

|

5/19/2019 12:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2019 1:24 PM

California is putting gazillions of $$$ into EV infrastructure so there is no turning around that trend.
I filled up at $4.25 yesterday in NorCal. It's nearly 50 cents higher on average for gas in CA than Hawaii, the next most-expensive state. The governor did launch an investigation into the gas prices. But you can't drive an EV yet because there are very few places to charge them.
I am interested in the Rivian EV truck, which has some cool possibilities. I would consider an electric truck/bike combo for trail riding. That would be sweet.

|

5/19/2019 1:01 PM

They better start building power plants to generate the needed energy

|

5/19/2019 1:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2019 1:04 PM

Mary Nichols has been spewing this type of nonsense for years, long before DT45 showed up. She was an environmental lawyer before being appointed to her current position. More than a decade ago she expressed the wish that she would outlive the ICE as a useful power source. The amount of hot “air” emanating from her pie hole is itself probably causing Global Warming.

|

5/19/2019 1:07 PM

SCR wrote:

Are all the metals and meterials to supply enough batteries really available to replace all the gas vehicles ?

What's the environmental impact of mining and chemical process to build that many EVS ?

If no gasoline is produced where does all the petroleum by product come from to make the millions of products that use it, and what will it cost?

Is there an electrical infrastructure to handle the switchover. ?

How many tons of global warming CO2 does it take to charge every EV in the US.

What happens when the power grid goes down and you can't charge your car ?

No infastructue. Next, everyone will want to buy hydrogen fuel cells

|

5/19/2019 1:10 PM

|

5/19/2019 1:16 PM

Sierra Ranger wrote:

California is putting gazillions of $$$ into EV infrastructure so there is no turning around that trend.
I filled up at $4.25 yesterday in NorCal. It's nearly 50 cents higher on average for gas in CA than Hawaii, the next most-expensive state. The governor did launch an investigation into the gas prices. But you can't drive an EV yet because there are very few places to charge them.
I am interested in the Rivian EV truck, which has some cool possibilities. I would consider an electric truck/bike combo for trail riding. That would be sweet.

Could you give me an address to this magic gas station?

|

5/19/2019 1:23 PM

Sierra Ranger wrote:

RandyS wrote:

Oops- I mean $4.25! Fixed. Guess I was dreaming.

|

5/19/2019 1:28 PM

Sierra Ranger wrote:

RandyS wrote:

Sierra Ranger wrote:

Oops- I mean $4.25! Fixed. Guess I was dreaming.

Damn

|

5/19/2019 1:45 PM

tcannon521 wrote:

reded wrote:

tcannon521 wrote:

And Tesla is months alway from bankruptcy unless “hardcore action is taken” says Musk. We’re not there yet.

|

Ex Pro BMX rider. Lover of all 2 wheeled machines.

1978 XR75
1994 KX250
1997 KX250
2008 CRF450
2004 YZ250

5/19/2019 1:51 PM

Same thoughts are swirling in my toilet too.

|

Ex Pro BMX rider. Lover of all 2 wheeled machines.

1978 XR75
1994 KX250
1997 KX250
2008 CRF450
2004 YZ250

5/19/2019 2:06 PM

They are coming for diesel trucks and buses. We just got a notice from Carb that our 2 diesel welding truck registrations would be denied starting 2020 unless we put in a 2010 or newer engine and emissions packages.

So basically we have to put new engines in both trucks that have perfectly good engines and chassis to salvage a couple more years or bite the bullet and buy new trucks at $80k each. And the old perfectly operational trucks are worthless in the state of California.

This state is circling the drain with some stupid regulations.

|

5/19/2019 2:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2019 2:38 PM

The majority in this thread think this is dumb, that is the same majority that picked our current leader.

For too long a minority has controlled things like California emissions. We have an EPA that should have Federal control over any State Laws. The "Bad Orange Man" is threatening to exert that Federal power over CA emissions, just like he yanked 1 Billion in funds from the Cali High Speed Rail debacle. You may be surprised that some of the environmental laws that we now take for granted may have been created by 1 big hoax. Let the man work.

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

5/19/2019 2:45 PM

KirkChandler wrote:

They are coming for diesel trucks and buses. We just got a notice from Carb that our 2 diesel welding truck registrations would be denied starting 2020 unless we put in a 2010 or newer engine and emissions packages.

So basically we have to put new engines in both trucks that have perfectly good engines and chassis to salvage a couple more years or bite the bullet and buy new trucks at $80k each. And the old perfectly operational trucks are worthless in the state of California.

This state is circling the drain with some stupid regulations.

See , that right there is pure bullshit and will end up pushing business's out of the state. The state then loses it's way to tax those business's and ends up shooting themselves in the foot. We as a country. ( The world actually ) have no way to implement these kinds of changes right now without screwing over a bunch of people. Not just business , but the average Joe. Again.....I think most everyone wants clean air , but that doesn't mean we all need to stop driving. We can't.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

5/19/2019 2:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2019 2:57 PM

just James wrote:

And recharging batteries is a lot less efficient than directly producing power from fuel. For every kilowatt of power that you use to charge a battery, you only get a percentage of that power back when using the energy stored in it.
Not only that, but we do not have any where near the electrical grid capacity to run all of society off of it.
Also, the green freaks seem to want to ban all economical forms of producing electricity.
Why people vote these morons into positions of power is beyond my comprehension.

Hello..where does everyone think we get the power to charge the batteries? Mostly from carbon sources still. We use carbon for a reason. Its very efficient and converting vehicles to batteries is saving nothing. They ultimately will not be coming for your ICE..they will coming for your vehicle. They only way we truly reduce emissions in transportation is converting to mass transit. Unless we embark on a large scale nuclear program for energy production batteries will not be the answer to carbon reduction.

|

5/19/2019 2:55 PM

Norway electric vehicle sales surpassed petroleum based vehicles last year and the Norwegians love thier cars

|

“If you don’t crash alot, you just ain’t going fast enough” Chandler