Buying an Oset 12.5

JohnnyD13
Edited Date/Time 4/26/2018 9:30pm
Hey guys. I have looked into the Oset 12.5 for my son who is 4. Anyone have one? Any reviews you guys can give me?
|
Asimo
4/23/2018 4:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2018 4:37pm
That cost more than 2 80s in the crate when I was a kid.

And 5 times as much as the real motorcycle my dad bought me when I was 4. And by real motorcycle I mean premix engine and 3 speeds with a clutch. None of this automatic crap.

Took me 30 seconds to figure out the clutch.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
4/23/2018 4:50pm
Asimo wrote:
That cost more than 2 80s in the crate when I was a kid. And 5 times as much as the real motorcycle my dad bought...

And 5 times as much as the real motorcycle my dad bought me when I was 4. And by real motorcycle I mean premix engine and 3 speeds with a clutch. None of this automatic crap.

Don’t be a Debbie Downer...

I don’t think putting a 4 year old on a bike that requires shifting with a clutch, a very good idea. BTW- what bike was this ?

I started my son on a PW 50 when he was 2, started racing at 3 and didn’t get on a 60 until he was almost 8. This is the norm for most riders that start early... He went on to race pro at 15.

But if the oset was around then and I was to do it all over, I’d buy one for sure. The kids that ride these Electric trials bikes, have great balance and it will carry over to Moto, if that’s where they end up. I think it’s a great way to start, IMO
DD325
4/23/2018 4:57pm
Bought one for my son for his 2nd birthday. He rode it on the first day and never looked back. Now he is 4 and rides a PW but still enjoys the Oset in the yard. Worth every penny!

The Shop

imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
4/23/2018 5:03pm
langhammx wrote:
Don’t be a Debbie Downer... I don’t think putting a 4 year old on a bike that requires shifting with a clutch, a very good idea...

I don’t think putting a 4 year old on a bike that requires shifting with a clutch, a very good idea. BTW- what bike was this ?

I started my son on a PW 50 when he was 2, started racing at 3 and didn’t get on a 60 until he was almost 8. This is the norm for most riders that start early... He went on to race pro at 15.

But if the oset was around then and I was to do it all over, I’d buy one for sure. The kids that ride these Electric trials bikes, have great balance and it will carry over to Moto, if that’s where they end up. I think it’s a great way to start, IMO
If you didn't know by now, this is the cat that knows it all and is better then the rest of us that put our jeans on one leg at a time. It must be a proud feeling to one up someone on a message board under his 56th user name. LOL, maybe gibby will send him a nice fancy participation trophy at some point.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/23/2018 5:10pm
DD325 wrote:
Bought one for my son for his 2nd birthday. He rode it on the first day and never looked back. Now he is 4 and rides...
Bought one for my son for his 2nd birthday. He rode it on the first day and never looked back. Now he is 4 and rides a PW but still enjoys the Oset in the yard. Worth every penny!
A bike he can ride everyday is a no brainer. We bought one of these at Walmart, it lasted a surprisingly long time. And was a blast at the skate park, can't do that on a pw Laughing Buy it JohnnyD13 that things bitchin, Go Dad go !

JohnnyD13
4/23/2018 5:14pm
Thanks for the feed back. I’m sure there’s some types that learned to swim by getting thrown into the water and told to figure it out, but I absolutely love riding and want my son to learn all the skills and find the passion I have for bikes. Anybody know any good Oset dealers. I’m in ga
Johnny Depp
4/23/2018 5:21pm
This may be a little big for your kid, but is another option:

Beta

2018 Beta Minitrial E (Electric) 16"

$1,899.00

yzfmonster
4/23/2018 5:27pm
Just saw one of these on display at a Nashville-area dealership. Looked like a Strider balance bike with a cordless drill battery.

https://www.stacycstabilitycycle.com

I’ve not seen the Oset in person, but Donnie at Graham KTM (Vital member too/North MS) had a GasGas e-mini bike. My kids thought it was awesome and it looked like a “big bike.” I think pricing was north of the Oset.

Sorry that’s not much help with your original question but reminded me of two options I’ve recently encountered. Looking for something similar for my now 4 yo.
JohnnyD13
4/23/2018 5:41pm
yzfmonster wrote:
Just saw one of these on display at a Nashville-area dealership. Looked like a Strider balance bike with a cordless drill battery. https://www.stacycstabilitycycle.com I’ve not seen...
Just saw one of these on display at a Nashville-area dealership. Looked like a Strider balance bike with a cordless drill battery.

https://www.stacycstabilitycycle.com

I’ve not seen the Oset in person, but Donnie at Graham KTM (Vital member too/North MS) had a GasGas e-mini bike. My kids thought it was awesome and it looked like a “big bike.” I think pricing was north of the Oset.

Sorry that’s not much help with your original question but reminded me of two options I’ve recently encountered. Looking for something similar for my now 4 yo.
I want all the info and different options anyone has. I had him on a Pw and went to a TTR 50 and that thing weighs as much as my 450! And being in a neighborhood I would like to have a quite option.
Asimo
4/23/2018 5:44pm
Asimo wrote:
That cost more than 2 80s in the crate when I was a kid. And 5 times as much as the real motorcycle my dad bought...

langhammx wrote:
Don’t be a Debbie Downer... I don’t think putting a 4 year old on a bike that requires shifting with a clutch, a very good idea...

At my local track, alot of kids that grew up on autos have a real hard time adjusting to a clutch on the start, corners, etc.

Some have been on autos for 5 or more years. Good to start on, but long term, I dunno.
My daughter started on an old 84 KX 60 and it made sense to her. She "Got it" right away. Shes not afraid of it and it hauls ass. Shes 7.

Asimo
4/23/2018 5:48pm
imoto34 wrote:
If you didn't know by now, this is the cat that knows it all and is better then the rest of us that put our jeans...
If you didn't know by now, this is the cat that knows it all and is better then the rest of us that put our jeans on one leg at a time. It must be a proud feeling to one up someone on a message board under his 56th user name. LOL, maybe gibby will send him a nice fancy participation trophy at some point.
If I posted something that you don't agree with, then prove it wrong. Simple as that.
motoXman9995
4/23/2018 6:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2018 6:41pm
I bought the Oset 12.5R for my son last year when he was 2. He was riding a Strider before that and adjusted to the Oset very quickly. He is in love with that bike. It’s very nice because you can adjust the throttle response as well as the top speed. Turned up the little bike is actually pretty quick. Battery life is solid and it doesn’t take too long to recharge. My little guy is 3 now and although still a little short, he was able to hop right on his pw50 and ride without a problem. While a little pricey, I highly recommend the Oset 12.5. Below is little GoPro Quikstory of him riding.

mxandy963
4/23/2018 6:26pm
I bet Asimo was clutching the fuck out of a CR480 at age 3. Chucking his diapers in the mechanics area. Full stud.
RY9MX
4/23/2018 6:33pm
My boy got one at 2 and a half. Now my almost 3 year old girl rides it. In over 4 years all I did was change the chain (which broke) and added new batteries, and my boy rode it nearly every day in the yard for 3+ years. Plus, not many toys like this carry any residual value, but these Osets seem to have some value on the used market.
MOTO120
4/23/2018 6:45pm
My boy has one and LOVES it. He rode it from when he was about 3.5 years old and will ride it until he is about 5. I have a PW50 now waiting for him. They aren't cheap for what they are BUT there's nothing on the market comparable to the quality.

langhammx
Fantasy
455th
4/23/2018 6:52pm
Asimo wrote:

langhammx wrote:

Asimo wrote:
At my local track, alot of kids that grew up on autos have a real hard time adjusting to a clutch on the start, corners, etc...
At my local track, alot of kids that grew up on autos have a real hard time adjusting to a clutch on the start, corners, etc.

Some have been on autos for 5 or more years. Good to start on, but long term, I dunno.
My daughter started on an old 84 KX 60 and it made sense to her. She "Got it" right away. Shes not afraid of it and it hauls ass. Shes 7.

What bike did you get at 4 years old that was a 3-speed with a clutch ? Honestly, I don’t know of a single bike that fits that description.

FYI- 98% of every top SX/ MX rider racing today, started on a pw50. Then the bigger 50’s (KTM, Cobra, LEM, etc (ALL automatics) Around 6-8 years old, they moved up to the 60 class and learned to shift. I’ll admit, there was a learning curve, but it didn’t take long to grasp it... At 4 years old, shifting with a clutch just doesn’t seem feasible ! The Suzuki JR 50 had a shifter, but no clutch and it wasn’t to competitive at the local MX track either. Same hues for the XR 50/ CRF 50.
4/23/2018 6:54pm
I bought one for my boy at 2, because he’s a small kid, and the 12.5 was so much lighter and smaller than a PW50. There were no dealers around me in SW MS, so I had one shipped from MotoTrialSport out of Midlothian, TX. Tom Batchelor was my contact there. Like the other owners above, they are expensive, but my boy has thoroughly enjoyed it. I’ll likely get my daughter on it soon.
JohnnyD13
4/23/2018 7:14pm
Thanks so much for the feed back. I’m as excited about it as when I bought my 18 450! I think the resale value is really good too because I can’t find anything used at all. Those pics are awesome
Doddy
4/23/2018 7:25pm
sumdood wrote:
A bike he can ride everyday is a no brainer. We bought one of these at Walmart, it lasted a surprisingly long time. And was a...
A bike he can ride everyday is a no brainer. We bought one of these at Walmart, it lasted a surprisingly long time. And was a blast at the skate park, can't do that on a pw Laughing Buy it JohnnyD13 that things bitchin, Go Dad go !

You brought one of those into a skate park?? Please tell me it was empty...
bf884
4/23/2018 7:34pm
I have one. We are on a pw now. For the money I was not impressed with the quality. Think Walmart bicycle. That’s how long the wheels will last. I did the lipo and frame mod and cut it down 16lbs. If I were to do it again, I would have gone with a razor and modified it to his liking.
Asimo
4/24/2018 6:56am Edited Date/Time 4/24/2018 7:39am
langhammx wrote:
What bike did you get at 4 years old that was a 3-speed with a clutch ? Honestly, I don’t know of a single bike that...
What bike did you get at 4 years old that was a 3-speed with a clutch ? Honestly, I don’t know of a single bike that fits that description.

FYI- 98% of every top SX/ MX rider racing today, started on a pw50. Then the bigger 50’s (KTM, Cobra, LEM, etc (ALL automatics) Around 6-8 years old, they moved up to the 60 class and learned to shift. I’ll admit, there was a learning curve, but it didn’t take long to grasp it... At 4 years old, shifting with a clutch just doesn’t seem feasible ! The Suzuki JR 50 had a shifter, but no clutch and it wasn’t to competitive at the local MX track either. Same hues for the XR 50/ CRF 50.
Ask Ron Lechien what he started on. Same thing. Plenty on here own them.
kb228
4/24/2018 6:58am
Crf50? Pw50??
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
4/24/2018 7:20am
I got one for my oldest boy when he had just turned 3 last spring. He rode it in the house the first night I brought it home with me holding the rear fender. I took him to the park that weekend and he started being able to ride without help. He has loved it ever since. Those bikes are really cool because you can completely control the throttle response and top speed.

I got him a PW a couple months ago but he still likes his oset better. He likes how we can both ride on his PW though.

oceantrav
4/24/2018 8:21am Edited Date/Time 4/24/2018 10:54am
I searched craigslist around the entire country and found a used one for $600 shipped. My Kid rode it for like 18 months, awesome bike. Only thing I didn’t like about it is when the kid was 4 and time to transition to the pw50 full time, he still wanted to ride the oset. Told him it broke and it’s at the shop, sold it for $1000.

4/24/2018 10:50am
Asimo wrote:

How old are you?
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
4/24/2018 4:14pm
langhammx wrote:
What bike did you get at 4 years old that was a 3-speed with a clutch ? Honestly, I don’t know of a single bike that...

Asimo wrote:
Spit it out man...
4 years old and shifting with a clutch ?

MR 50 was a great bike, but not for a 4 year old !
JohnnyD13
4/24/2018 7:38pm
I did it. I found a dealer in Lawrenceville ga that sold me a brand new Oset 12.5 race for 1400. Pictures coming soon!
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
4/24/2018 7:46pm
langhammx wrote:

Asimo wrote:
langhammx wrote:
Spit it out man... 4 years old and shifting with a clutch ? MR 50 was a great bike, but not for a 4 year old...
Spit it out man...
4 years old and shifting with a clutch ?

MR 50 was a great bike, but not for a 4 year old !
I do believe that robot has been drinking.
SwingHard
4/24/2018 9:55pm
Asimo wrote:

What was the price of 2 80's in crates when you were a kid,what year was that? And as a 4 year old how the hell did you understand the price of a motorcycle,and what kind of Real motorcycle was it ?

Post a reply to: Buying an Oset 12.5

The Latest