Buying a used suzuki rm125

errljr
Edited Date/Time 4/8/2020 8:49pm
Is this a good deal 1600 for a 99 rm125? Engine is rebuilt..pistion was plated by lukesracing. Compression is at 200...aftermarket reeds..aftermarket clutch master..bunch of paperwork..

|
MZ193
4/5/2020 1:07am
It depend from what you are looking for.
Occasional riding afternoon with friends? You’re fine.
If you want to get faster, starting to race etc etc this bike is not the ideal.
The bike overall seems in great conditions.
errljr
4/5/2020 1:17am
Yess just kinda trail riding...deff dont want to get into racing haha...what do you think about the price?
MZ193
4/5/2020 2:45am
errljr wrote:
Yess just kinda trail riding...deff dont want to get into racing haha...what do you think about the price?
If the bike runs good, it’s a great deal. But you need to be sure that the engine is in great conditions.
Ask him how many hours since the last whole rebuild and that kind of stuff.

The Shop

Looby321
4/5/2020 3:08am
True or not, everyone that sells a bike writes completely redone. The best thing to do is to do a look over in person. You can get the newer body style 01-up rm125 for about the same price. I’d personally be looking for YZ’s. RM spark plug price alone turns me off hah.
sandman768
4/5/2020 4:09am
Test ride it paying attention to the transmission gears... they have soft transmissions, if it was completely rebuild ask about the transmission...not a fan of sleeved cylinders, was it plated after sleeving?
errljr
4/5/2020 6:37am
sandman768 wrote:
Test ride it paying attention to the transmission gears... they have soft transmissions, if it was completely rebuild ask about the transmission...not a fan of sleeved...
Test ride it paying attention to the transmission gears... they have soft transmissions, if it was completely rebuild ask about the transmission...not a fan of sleeved cylinders, was it plated after sleeving?
Yes supposably it was bike looks like its in mint condition guys a really honest man...only did about 5hrs on rebuild...
errljr
4/5/2020 6:40am
Looby321 wrote:
True or not, everyone that sells a bike writes completely redone. The best thing to do is to do a look over in person. You can...
True or not, everyone that sells a bike writes completely redone. The best thing to do is to do a look over in person. You can get the newer body style 01-up rm125 for about the same price. I’d personally be looking for YZ’s. RM spark plug price alone turns me off hah.
In person it looks like a super clean bike...no leaks at all he says its been sitting in the same spot for 2 weeks even after he started it and ran it around it wasnt leaking anything.
mgtkr1
4/5/2020 6:56am
on the face of it, it looks like a steal. it l its well presented and usually it can indicate on wether a bike has been cared for and reflects on the owner..
4/5/2020 7:04am
Basically what i see is a lot of cleaning has been done with new plastics and a seat cover to make the bike look really nice.
Painted rims are a negative was done to make rims look nice.
Huge negative had the cylinder resleeved instead of replated. That tells me they got cheap on fixing the cylinder. It's also a step back in technology to like 70's early 80's. If a plated cylinder is properly taken cared for it will last longer than a steel sleeved cylinder. A sleeve can also fuck up the ports and cause them to be mismatched fucking up the power band.

For $1600 even as just a trail beater nah keep looking maybe if it was $1200. A 96 n up yz125 would blow that rm away.
errljr
4/5/2020 7:18am
Basically what i see is a lot of cleaning has been done with new plastics and a seat cover to make the bike look really nice...
Basically what i see is a lot of cleaning has been done with new plastics and a seat cover to make the bike look really nice.
Painted rims are a negative was done to make rims look nice.
Huge negative had the cylinder resleeved instead of replated. That tells me they got cheap on fixing the cylinder. It's also a step back in technology to like 70's early 80's. If a plated cylinder is properly taken cared for it will last longer than a steel sleeved cylinder. A sleeve can also fuck up the ports and cause them to be mismatched fucking up the power band.

For $1600 even as just a trail beater nah keep looking maybe if it was $1200. A 96 n up yz125 would blow that rm away.
Yea its was rebuilt from the frame up...frame was also powder coated real nice as you can see...rims arnt painted those are new rims and tiress...he showed me 25 pages of parts hes put in most of them are brand new parts...idk guy is real honest about whats done to it...yea if i could fins a yz for that price range yzs by me are 2200 and up...
jeffchappell
4/5/2020 7:27am
Hell of a deal. Buy it. Who cares if a yz125 is better. I’d rather blow by one on a rm125.
SLOWTIME
4/5/2020 7:41am
The rims are Pro-wheels. Not painted. I for one would stay away from that year because of the water pump design
errljr
4/5/2020 8:00am
SLOWTIME wrote:
The rims are Pro-wheels. Not painted. I for one would stay away from that year because of the water pump design
Whats wrong with the water pump design? Overheats quick? Im just playing on doing some trail riding.
SLOWTIME
4/5/2020 12:44pm
SLOWTIME wrote:
errljr wrote:
Whats wrong with the water pump design? Overheats quick? Im just playing on doing some trail riding.
Water pump repairs will require splitting the cases.
motoman998
4/5/2020 1:19pm
I just bought a '99 RM125. seemed like an amazing deal, until I got it home and it didn't have power valves or any gaskets on the bike... probably shouldve been more observant but not having power valves was something you dont know until its apart in your garage.
errljr
4/5/2020 1:34pm
motoman998 wrote:
I just bought a '99 RM125. seemed like an amazing deal, until I got it home and it didn't have power valves or any gaskets on...
I just bought a '99 RM125. seemed like an amazing deal, until I got it home and it didn't have power valves or any gaskets on the bike... probably shouldve been more observant but not having power valves was something you dont know until its apart in your garage.
Thats crazy for how muchh?? Yeaa i dout this ones missing power valves...he took the carb apart to rejett but thats it.
motoman998
4/5/2020 1:41pm
motoman998 wrote:
I just bought a '99 RM125. seemed like an amazing deal, until I got it home and it didn't have power valves or any gaskets on...
errljr wrote:
Thats crazy for how muchh?? Yeaa i dout this ones missing power valves...he took the carb apart to rejett but thats it.
400 not running. had boysen clutch cover, PC pipe (looked beautiful too), and clean black excel rims. Cylinder had was fine, no dents or signs of damage/misuse. From what I saw it would've ran if I got gaskets in it, but when I got it home and saw no power valves, it probably would've been more of a project than I was prepared to dive into.
Bruce372
4/5/2020 1:43pm
looks like a great bike, and with everyone stating get an 01, 04 all that, its really hard to find those years that arent thrashed.

Will look good with Pastrana graphics.
errljr
4/5/2020 1:55pm
motoman998 wrote:
errljr wrote:
motoman998 wrote:
400 not running. had boysen clutch cover, PC pipe (looked beautiful too), and clean black excel rims. Cylinder had was fine, no dents or signs of...
400 not running. had boysen clutch cover, PC pipe (looked beautiful too), and clean black excel rims. Cylinder had was fine, no dents or signs of damage/misuse. From what I saw it would've ran if I got gaskets in it, but when I got it home and saw no power valves, it probably would've been more of a project than I was prepared to dive into.
This one sounds real good and rides nice this guy im buying it off of went thru the whole bike and checked every little part.
errljr
4/5/2020 1:57pm
Bruce372 wrote:
looks like a great bike, and with everyone stating get an 01, 04 all that, its really hard to find those years that arent thrashed. Will...
looks like a great bike, and with everyone stating get an 01, 04 all that, its really hard to find those years that arent thrashed.

Yea i think its a pretty good deal come with clean title..all the books and manuels....and a bunch of parts paperwork...lukesracing did the engine.
Bruce372
4/5/2020 2:00pm
Bruce372 wrote:
looks like a great bike, and with everyone stating get an 01, 04 all that, its really hard to find those years that arent thrashed. Will...

errljr wrote:
Yea i think its a pretty good deal come with clean title..all the books and manuels....and a bunch of parts paperwork...lukesracing did the engine.
go for it dude, most newer rm125s wont be in that good a condition.
brimx153
4/5/2020 2:27pm
They ride great ,turn geart and hav underrated power . But the gearboxes are terrible in them , if you are just trail riding you could still end up doing a gearbox. I know people who did 3 a year on them .
DaBaum44
4/5/2020 2:43pm
Looks fairly clean. Ask to look at the air filter/air box. That will tell you a lot about the owner. These bikes always seem to be worth 1,000 to 1,500 running, so it's not like you can lose too much. I would agree with Slowtime on the waterpump design. Seems like a pain.
Lennon
4/5/2020 2:45pm
It sounds like you've already convinced yourself to buy it. People are giving you reasons not to, and you're basically ignoring that stuff. Confirmation Bias.

It may or may not be a good buy. Looks OK from a few pics, but that's only a small part of the story. You keep saying the guy is "honest", how do you know that? If the cylinder is really sleeved and not re-plated, that's reason enough to move on. Anyone who sleeves a cylinder is doing questionable work at best. You said the rims and tires are new. That rear tire doesn't look new to me.

Just my 2 cents.
errljr
4/5/2020 2:48pm
brimx153 wrote:
They ride great ,turn geart and hav underrated power . But the gearboxes are terrible in them , if you are just trail riding you could...
They ride great ,turn geart and hav underrated power . But the gearboxes are terrible in them , if you are just trail riding you could still end up doing a gearbox. I know people who did 3 a year on them .
Dang hope i dont have any problems.
H4L
4/5/2020 2:56pm
Lennon wrote:
It sounds like you've already convinced yourself to buy it. People are giving you reasons not to, and you're basically ignoring that stuff. Confirmation Bias. It...
It sounds like you've already convinced yourself to buy it. People are giving you reasons not to, and you're basically ignoring that stuff. Confirmation Bias.

It may or may not be a good buy. Looks OK from a few pics, but that's only a small part of the story. You keep saying the guy is "honest", how do you know that? If the cylinder is really sleeved and not re-plated, that's reason enough to move on. Anyone who sleeves a cylinder is doing questionable work at best. You said the rims and tires are new. That rear tire doesn't look new to me.

Just my 2 cents.
Yup. I dealt with a sleeve on a used 84 RM125 engine in the mid 80's. After that experience I never purchased another bike with one installed.
errljr
4/5/2020 2:58pm
DaBaum44 wrote:
Looks fairly clean. Ask to look at the air filter/air box. That will tell you a lot about the owner. These bikes always seem to be...
Looks fairly clean. Ask to look at the air filter/air box. That will tell you a lot about the owner. These bikes always seem to be worth 1,000 to 1,500 running, so it's not like you can lose too much. I would agree with Slowtime on the waterpump design. Seems like a pain.
Yess he did showed me all of that stuff box and air filter were really clean not he rides it in his yard. I spent about 1hr n a half talking to him in his shop about the bike...went threw almost the whole thing and showed me a bunch of paper work...yea same thing i was saying i wouldnt lose much...yea im like 60/50 on buying it still. He is the second owner...

errljr
4/5/2020 3:06pm
Lennon wrote:
It sounds like you've already convinced yourself to buy it. People are giving you reasons not to, and you're basically ignoring that stuff. Confirmation Bias. It...

Just my 2 cents.
Yea i get you im still 50/50..hes in no rush its been already like 2 weeks i told him id get back to him but its still posted says many people are low balling him and actually never even came to see the bike im the first person to actually drive out....yea he gave me info on where it was worked on and invoice number At lukesracing they bore the cylinder and use a process called Nikasil. I don't know if this is sleeving or plating...i think im gonna call tommaro..also gave me pistion number....thanks guys

Post a reply to: Buying a used suzuki rm125

The Latest