Buying Online

Double
If this doesn't fit in with other forums on here, feel free to delete admin. I'm not going to name any online retailers due to some people saying its maybe a spam advert.

But would love to know, who buys anything moto related online? Why do you buy it online? And why do you choose the certain online retailers over others, EG; look of their website, the website functions, marketing, sponsorship with certain riders or teams?
|
kb228
4/10/2018 3:15am
I buy literally everything from rocky mountain. My local dealership hardly ever has the oil i like(maxima 530 believe it or not) let alone any gear or parts. Sure they can order it but rocky mountains prices are cheaper than an employee discount at the dealership. Plus RM cash lets me get a bunch of stuff for free. Cant tell you how many oil filters and gaskets or bolts ive gotten for free with rm cash. Also with me living in ohio and RMs warehouse in kentucky, i get free next day shipping 99% of the time. Order friday on my lunch break and get it saturday morning. Its fantastic.

Only con to RM is they dont have same day drone delivery like amazon
Spizzy
4/10/2018 3:55am
Cost isnt my main reason, knowing a part is available is. When I break something on Sunday, I hop right over to an online source that has up to date inventory listed. If its in stock, great I know I can have my bike fixed before the next weekend. If it shows zero available, off to the next site that does have it.
For me the days of going to the local dealer on tuesday, since most seem to be closed on monday, doesnt allow much time to get parts and install.
zac_k3
4/10/2018 4:04am
I shop online because my local dealers are bullshit honestly, I was needing a spring that goes with the oil filter cap that’s a very common part between Kawasaki’s and of course they didn’t have it. I was in a pinch and needed the part in two days, three at max and they said overnighting would be $56 and the spring would be $15 and no guarantee that’d it would be here in time. Called up Motosport and got the part ordered and shipped overnight for $27.
4/10/2018 4:27am
kb228 wrote:
I buy literally everything from rocky mountain. My local dealership hardly ever has the oil i like(maxima 530 believe it or not) let alone any gear...
I buy literally everything from rocky mountain. My local dealership hardly ever has the oil i like(maxima 530 believe it or not) let alone any gear or parts. Sure they can order it but rocky mountains prices are cheaper than an employee discount at the dealership. Plus RM cash lets me get a bunch of stuff for free. Cant tell you how many oil filters and gaskets or bolts ive gotten for free with rm cash. Also with me living in ohio and RMs warehouse in kentucky, i get free next day shipping 99% of the time. Order friday on my lunch break and get it saturday morning. Its fantastic.

^This.

Ordered 5:30pm on Thursday, had it by 2pm on Friday... Great prices also.

The Shop

Joe512
4/10/2018 5:27am
I used to bounce back and fourth between motosport and rocky mountain but since RM put in a east coast warehouse I almost exclusively order through them. Always quick, accurate orders, and the RM cash adds up. They also support Keefers podcast.
4/10/2018 5:49am
Side question and don't mean to derail thread, but I remember codes for RM for 10% off. I'm going to order a Rekluse clutch soon and that would save $100. Did they stop offering the codes at the bottom of the packing invoices?
yz133rider
4/10/2018 5:55am
Side question and don't mean to derail thread, but I remember codes for RM for 10% off. I'm going to order a Rekluse clutch soon and...
Side question and don't mean to derail thread, but I remember codes for RM for 10% off. I'm going to order a Rekluse clutch soon and that would save $100. Did they stop offering the codes at the bottom of the packing invoices?
Yes no longer do that. They have cash back program now that adds up with ur orders. Doesnt save nearly as much but its still great.
r.sal923
4/10/2018 5:59am
I am not wasting a Saturday driving 2 hr round trip to dealer. The only time I have to shop is at night , I can sit on the couch after kids are sleeping. Another thing is “setting my budget” you ever walk around a dealer throwing parts and stuff in a cart? Only to get to the counter, find out it is one hundred or more then you want to spend. Then you look like a dick eliminating things not needed.
4/10/2018 6:01am
I am about 50/50 with my dealer and Amazon, BTO, Motosport....... I support my local dealer because they take pretty good care of me, the stuff I buy online is mostly impulse purchases especially Amazon because I can usually have it the next day. Fork bleeders ordered Friday night delivered Sunday morning from Amazon.
Marty1028
Fantasy
994th
4/10/2018 6:04am
Rocky mountain all day, due to living in indiana and there warehouse just across the river in KY i get same day or next day shipping for free.
Titan1
4/10/2018 6:30am
Rocky Mountain for me...their main office and warehouse is 30 minutes from my house, I get my parts on my door the next day for free. And if I need a part same day, I just call ahead and it’s waiting for me at the front desk when I get there.

My only complaint about them is that they have started to use Ontrac so often...and Ontrac is SO bad that I’m considering using Motosport Outlet just to avoid them. But I think Ontrac is only a regional delivery service (as opposed to UPS/FedEx)...so this isn’t a problem for most people I’m sure.
Slaughter612s
Fantasy
215th
4/10/2018 6:46am
Rocky Mountain for me mainly due to their customer service, quick shipping, prices and inventory. Being a Vet guy time management is key in balancing life, being able to see if something is in stock, click and order is huge. No wasted time in going to the dealership. My local Honda shop is great when I have strolled in for odds and ends. Even though its close, it still time.
The RM cash is great deal as well. Great business plan, I have a 100% of the time spent more than the amount of fast cash/Race Gas I have had. Why cant a dealership do this? Maybe get ppl incentive to get down there....good post. cheers.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
4/10/2018 7:17am Edited Date/Time 4/10/2018 7:18am
I don't buy anything online, I shop local and that is it. I don't care if I have to pay extra I don't care if I have to wait a little bit longer, it's worth it to me.

If everybody continues to buy everything online, there will no longer be any brick-and-mortar stores to buy anything from. I would rather buy from a brick and mortar store knowing that my tax dollars stays in my town and local people keep their jobs.
Holigan
4/10/2018 8:39am
I buy all of my parts from two dealers, Adventure Moto and Dallas Honda. They normally have everything in stock, knowledgeable staff and will give a good price. If they don't have it, they will get it quick.

Probably 30% of gear from the two dealers, and the other 70% from RM, MotoSport and BTO. They are always sending out emails with really low clearance prices and I end up buying stuff I don't need. Laying in bed on a Sunday morning a couple of weeks ago, I bought an extra set of SG 12s, a Bell Flex and a couple of sets of Shift gear that I never would have bought otherwise. Prices were below reasonable and it was too easy.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
4/10/2018 8:51am
Rocky Mountain for almost everything. I'm on a budget so I have to stay as low priced as possible.
walent215
4/10/2018 8:53am
Side question and don't mean to derail thread, but I remember codes for RM for 10% off. I'm going to order a Rekluse clutch soon and...
Reach me @760-608-1688 if you wanna save a few $$
early
Fantasy
2231st
4/10/2018 8:57am
Mostly buy online (RM or Motosport usually) for these reasons listed in order.

1. Time-dealers are few and far and have inconvenient hours for me. I can accumulate an online cart for a few weeks then order when the time is right.
2. Parts availability/information- easy to see what each company has and then go directly to get more information on each item.
3. Price- not actually the most important thing but nice to save a little money to spend on other stuff.
captmoto
4/10/2018 8:57am
For me, my dealer closed down so I don't have a good Husky dealer. I use Chaparral for everything but plastic. Their buyers club program actually got me a WPS featherweight for the same price out the door as RM and it was same day. I do use RM quite a bit and I guess I will be using them more. Too many dealers around that offer to order but I can do that without making a drive twice. I am 20 minutes to Chaparral. I know there are plenty of people that hate Chaparral but I have always gotten good service and don't mind paying a little more to get something in my hand the same day. I don't need the bottom line price on everything I buy. I do really miss having a real racing shop to go to since the old dealer sponsored a dealer series, endurance races at GH and had a WORCS expert racer that worked in service and tested with Husky so there was some decent insight there.
mikec265
4/10/2018 9:25am
Moto is dead in my area, so it doesn't make sense to drive to the dealer twice and pay full retail.
I usually check ebay and Rocky Mountain.
The best price shipped to my doorstep gets my business.
I work out of town and when I am home I'd rather give that time to my wife and kids instead of chasing and ordering parts.

My local mom and pop auto parts store gets a lot of my business, and I deal with them as much as possible. They are around the corner from my house. It's quite a drive to a bike shop
iplaybmx
4/10/2018 9:57am
I live about 15 minutes from bobs cycle supply. So I usually go there first then who ever is cheaper.
Rdubs19
4/10/2018 9:58am
I buy oil and filters at the dealer because its so cheap I don't really care what I'd save buying online. I buy air filters online because dealers want 3 to 4 tines as much money for one air filter.
Tryhard
4/10/2018 10:18am
My dealer's are complete shit , they have 10 year old fly bars hanging on the wall and some 10 year old fly gear thats more expensive then the new stuff ... They never have anything in stock , its overpriced , and rocky mountian gets it to me cheaper .
Bramlett321
4/10/2018 10:22am
kb228 wrote:
I buy literally everything from rocky mountain. My local dealership hardly ever has the oil i like(maxima 530 believe it or not) let alone any gear...

^This.

Ordered 5:30pm on Thursday, had it by 2pm on Friday... Great prices also.
So...I use BTO a ton, why do you fellas prefer RM over BTO? what's this RM cash that you speak of?
Pirate421
4/10/2018 12:08pm
So...I use BTO a ton, why do you fellas prefer RM over BTO? what's this RM cash that you speak of?
Rm cash is usually about 5% or so cash back on your order when you check out. It goes into your account and adds up as long as you don’t use it every order. So buy $100 worth of parts and you’ll end up with $5 for next order. I save mine up usually and then use it at $20 or so. Can use it on anything. RM really has amazing customer service, Every time I’ve called I’ve gotten someone who knows exactly what I’m asking about and it’s a quick and easy. Can’t beat the price either. The last Yamaha dealer I tried to buy parts from had employees with bad attitudes who knew literally nothing about mx. One of the kids told me they don’t stock parts for YZ250 because they stopped making them in 2007! I never went back for anything after that.
Titan1
4/10/2018 12:25pm
Pirate421 wrote:
Rm cash is usually about 5% or so cash back on your order when you check out. It goes into your account and adds up as...
Rm cash is usually about 5% or so cash back on your order when you check out. It goes into your account and adds up as long as you don’t use it every order. So buy $100 worth of parts and you’ll end up with $5 for next order. I save mine up usually and then use it at $20 or so. Can use it on anything. RM really has amazing customer service, Every time I’ve called I’ve gotten someone who knows exactly what I’m asking about and it’s a quick and easy. Can’t beat the price either. The last Yamaha dealer I tried to buy parts from had employees with bad attitudes who knew literally nothing about mx. One of the kids told me they don’t stock parts for YZ250 because they stopped making them in 2007! I never went back for anything after that.
The RM cash never expires...I save mine up for major purchases.

I had to do a full motor rebuild...the $800 I had saved up on there sure came in handy to offset the parts bill.

I’ve got just over $200 in RM cash right now. Just waiting for some major expense...
King KTM
4/10/2018 1:15pm
You guys keep this up and Tomac, Anderson, and Moose Can will all be riding for RM. Kidding aside RM for me also, customer service, easy returns, low price, fast shipping, I really can’t ask for anything else.

Plus they seem to be huge supporters or the sport not just trying to make a buck off of it and that carries a lot of weight with me.
MeTed
Fantasy
1230th
4/10/2018 1:33pm
RM for me as well. The hare scrambles series i race in is part of RM's race gas program where you get a $10 gift card for every race you enter. By the end of the season I'll have $140 in gift cards to use. Its a pretty sweet deal.
kkawboy14
4/10/2018 1:35pm
I buy race fuel local and if they have anything in stock that I need when I’m in there I try to support them. They rarely have anything I need
Bermworm
4/10/2018 1:51pm
I live in Canada and we have one online shop that is hands down way way better than anyone else. They are out of the east, about 30% cheaper (and sometimes more) than my local retailers, offer free shipping and I don't have to worry about getting dinged with duty taxes which takes away any savings which would be gain by shopping stateside.
mmain62
4/10/2018 2:00pm
If I need anything I check RM, MOTOSPORT, AND BTO before I buy. Whoever is cheapest I buy from them. Sorry but im on a budget and like many local dealers for you guys mine is an hour away and has the same 15yr old shit on the wall as it did 15 yrs ago. Theres another place an hour away but it has 3 18-22 yr old dudes working in there and they are to busy flirting with their girl friends that are also in there to help you out.

Post a reply to: Buying Online

The Latest