Buyers remorse?

Dirtnap
2/26/2019 6:49am
Had a perfectly dialed in 2004 crf450r, bars, suspension, motor, levers. everything was set perfect, never changed a clicker or anything ever! Bought the bike after watching ricky go 24-0 on one. had the bike for almost 8 years, traded it away for a 13 honda 450.... I've never bought so much stuff for a bike to get it to feel and motor the way my 04 did.... I listed the bike after 2 years and the day before i sold it I finally found a decent setting but i let it go anyways. Been playing with many bikes from then to now but this fall I'm hoping to pick up a left over 19 450 honda.
Forty
2/26/2019 6:56am
There is a lot of value in having a dialed bike under you. Getting a new bike every year or two and then chasing settings all summer is a bitch, and expensive.

I did this approach for years but now I have the RMZ dialed and have owned it for 6 years. Great bike, solid motor, a blast to ride and no surprises!
Motox627!
2/26/2019 7:06am
Forty wrote:
There is a lot of value in having a dialed bike under you. Getting a new bike every year or two and then chasing settings all...
There is a lot of value in having a dialed bike under you. Getting a new bike every year or two and then chasing settings all summer is a bitch, and expensive.

I did this approach for years but now I have the RMZ dialed and have owned it for 6 years. Great bike, solid motor, a blast to ride and no surprises!
Agreed! That's why i still have my 2012 CRF and have zero plans on selling it. Motor and suspension are dialed for me and i feel comfy no matter where i ride. I do envy the new bikes having the magic button, but if that's what would keep someone from riding - they shouldn't be riding Silly
bvm111
2/26/2019 7:23am
robkinuk wrote:
Last Christmas I decided to treat myself and buy a high end watch in the $7000 dollar price range. Previously I had owned a Rolex GMT...
Last Christmas I decided to treat myself and buy a high end watch in the $7000 dollar price range. Previously I had owned a Rolex GMT Master II, but reluctantly sold it when starting the art business to put a cash injection in.
Bought this new watch (not Rolex) at a lavish buyers fair on Friday evening, got them to change out the strap, paid a deposit and arranged to collect it next day, expecting it to be fully set up, paperwork, warranty etc., none of which came with watch, just a box and fancy bag.
Had the watch for an hour but noticed when ever I reset chronometer, the minute counter didn't return exactly to zero.
Phoned the dealers Monday, took it in and they sent it back to manufacturer, who came back within a few days to say Yes it was faulty and I would be sent a new replacement.
However by now I had lost confidence in this brand and wanted a full refund, which they initially refused to give me, saying the watch had been customised, refunds weren't in their terms and conditions etc.
Got onto local citizens advice who gave us all the legal aspects and confirmed we were initialled to a full refund!
Served the retailer with a signed for legal letter and within 10 days got a full refund.
So yes, buyers remorse, but cured me of the desire to wear expensive watches, a $50 watch tells the time just as well.
I just picked up my stainless GMT Pepsi after waiting for 10 months for it to arrive... I’ve wanted one since I was 10 years old and finally have it, awesome watch. I some how can’t stop looking at it and thinking that’s a 2019 KX450 sitting there in the little box BlinkBlinkBlink

LaughingLaughing

The Shop

mdb413
2/26/2019 8:22am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2019 8:23am
I had a 1994 YZ250. I was coming from a 88 CR250. The transmission on the yz was horrible! It almost killed me due to hitting a false neutral off of a large double. The CR never gave me any problems. Sold the yz and got a 96 yz 250. Still have the 96 with no issues. Full disclosure my 2006 yz450 is awesome and I ride it the most.
Karlsrad
2/26/2019 8:31am
2013 KTM 50 SX, enough said.... This bike was so tempermental, if you simply looked at it wrong it would brake. This bike almost gave me a drinking problem, due to time in the garage. It was always 50/50 if it would finish the race before it overheated, clutch burned up, top end went, etc. My kids would win moto 1, and moto 2 DNF!
And forget about desert riding or trail riding.... We couldn't get 5 miles without a problem. Took about a year but I finally got it dialed in, So it wouldn't overheat, etc. but man.... it cost some $$$.

My kid became a good little rider on it, and I became a decent mechanic as well. So maybe it wasn't so bad looking back at it..... We are on a YZ65 now, and I feel like every weekend is a vacation.
WoodsRacer
Fantasy
2889th
2/26/2019 8:51am
2018 YZ250X, I just could not get comfortable on the bike, mainly due to the front end feeling. Always wanted to stand up, climb out of ruts, and the worse in sand it had a tendency to knife. Tried a lot of different setups on the front and rear but never got to changing the offset like a lot of people recommended. Got tired of the bike and wanted to stop sinking money into it so I just let it go.
woodsryder
Fantasy
3295th
2/26/2019 9:52am
2003 CR 125 that I got off of Gary Bailey. Got rid of a 2000 CR 125 that ran amazing and I was comfortable on. Could never get that same speed back on the 2003.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
2/26/2019 9:57am
Karlsrad wrote:
2013 KTM 50 SX, enough said.... This bike was so tempermental, if you simply looked at it wrong it would brake. This bike almost gave me...
2013 KTM 50 SX, enough said.... This bike was so tempermental, if you simply looked at it wrong it would brake. This bike almost gave me a drinking problem, due to time in the garage. It was always 50/50 if it would finish the race before it overheated, clutch burned up, top end went, etc. My kids would win moto 1, and moto 2 DNF!
And forget about desert riding or trail riding.... We couldn't get 5 miles without a problem. Took about a year but I finally got it dialed in, So it wouldn't overheat, etc. but man.... it cost some $$$.

My kid became a good little rider on it, and I became a decent mechanic as well. So maybe it wasn't so bad looking back at it..... We are on a YZ65 now, and I feel like every weekend is a vacation.
A friend of mine got one for her son. He's never ridden before and they just trail ride. I tried to talk her out of it, but she thought it would be a great idea for him... I'm waiting for the "something went wrong and we can't get it started" texts.
adamdf
2/26/2019 10:11am
I never really had any regrets. I don't think the 2008 KTM 450 SXF was the best bike for me or the track I was riding on most of the time (awesome engine though), so maybe that was just a case of not buying the right tool for the job.

Fast forward to now and I could'nt love my 2017 450 SXF more, crazy how much better (and easier to ride) these 450s have become.
r.sal923
2/26/2019 10:14am
Rode Yamaha for years 2004-2009, then in 2010 I decided to buy a 2010 sx450f . Suspension was horrible , no matter what I did I could not get it to work. I ended up buying a 2010 yz450 and have been on Yamaha ever since. I do also own a 2016te300, it is ok , but not everything I hoped it would be.
wilh72
2/26/2019 1:32pm
mdb413 wrote:
I had a 1994 YZ250. I was coming from a 88 CR250. The transmission on the yz was horrible! It almost killed me due to hitting...
I had a 1994 YZ250. I was coming from a 88 CR250. The transmission on the yz was horrible! It almost killed me due to hitting a false neutral off of a large double. The CR never gave me any problems. Sold the yz and got a 96 yz 250. Still have the 96 with no issues. Full disclosure my 2006 yz450 is awesome and I ride it the most.
Any pics of your 96 now
suzukiread240
2/26/2019 2:04pm
I bought a 2016 RMZ250, loved the chassis but didn’t gel the with front fork. The bike was super fun to ride, but I couldn’t handle the fork. Ended up trading it for a 2015 YZ250 with like 200 hours. I’ve been considering the new model now that the fork is changed.
drt410
2/26/2019 2:11pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2019 2:25pm
Not a dirt bike for me but a street bike was the only motorcycle I ever HATED. I bought a Ducati 1098, Ohlins suspension, full exhaust, the whole 9.... it suuuuucked. I thought Id love the more torque from the twin vs the I4s I was used to with no low end... wrong. It just made it so at 1/10000th of a throttle turn your still going 10 over the speed limit. Then the v twin puts one head under the seat + the under tail lights ur nuts on fire, and ur leaning on ur wrists wayyy more than my R1 plus the seat is angled toward the tank so ur sitting on ur nuts.

The ONLY time it was fun was when ur about to get arrested. That gets old too. Plus every shmuck on the road sees a red ducati n wants to race.. got sooo old. So to wrap it up, your idling at 10mph over the speed limit in 3rd, so your just riding around dabbing the breaks the whole time, with ur nuts on fire, sitting on top of ur nuts, in a pushup position on ur wrists, then getting challenged to a race by every single stupid ass car on the road. It was lame. I HAAAAAATED that bike. Every time I stopped riding I almost felt guilty because I had never hated any motorcycle before.
Karlsrad
2/26/2019 3:03pm
Karlsrad wrote:
2013 KTM 50 SX, enough said.... This bike was so tempermental, if you simply looked at it wrong it would brake. This bike almost gave me...

mattyhamz2 wrote:
A friend of mine got one for her son. He's never ridden before and they just trail ride. I tried to talk her out of it...
A friend of mine got one for her son. He's never ridden before and they just trail ride. I tried to talk her out of it, but she thought it would be a great idea for him... I'm waiting for the "something went wrong and we can't get it started" texts.
Oh yeah, she’s screwed. Those things are the worst trail bike there is. She better become an expert on adjusting that clutch, and change the fluid often. Ours got so hot trail riding one time it blew the vent hose off the radiator cap, I look back to my son screaming and getting drenched in coolant (he’s was ok) those bikes are the devil
Ryan598
2/26/2019 3:20pm
2011 350SXF and 2017 FC350.

I jumped at the idea when they came out in 2011. Probably had 2 hours when the transmission went poof. KTM eventually covered it but mine was one of the earlier ones to have issues so it took me a while to get it fixed. Probably only had 5 hours on that bike. It was a turd. Suspension sucked.

After years of reading how much of an improvement the 350s had made since my 2011 I had to try one again. Only put 4 hours on that bike. I have had new 125’s, 250f’s, 250 two strokes, 450’s. Was able to adapt to all of them and like them. Never could adapt to the 350’s. Just not for me I guess.

Post a reply to: Buyers remorse?

The Latest