Buyers Remorse on Expensive Gear

CPan
9/26/2022 11:18am
If you can’t afford it then return it. If you can afford then you have some of the best equipment money can buy so be pumped and run it.
Johnnydirt
9/26/2022 11:20am
FC moto has 15% off the whole store right now. SG12's shipped to the US for about $370.
chasetwo79
9/26/2022 11:59am
I make plenty of money and I still don’t buy the most expensive gear. I wear everything out about the same so it’s just never worth it to me. So I just go mid level and buy more sets then I get more choices on track days of what to wear.

The Shop

9/26/2022 12:02pm
I always tell people that if they are trying to save some money on a helmet , buy a closeout version. Most of the time they will be the exact same helmet as the full priced version , but with a paint job that is being discontinued . You are not going to find a Moto 10 on closeout, but You could possible find a Alpinestars SM8 or SM10 ( SM 10 comes with a nicer bag, extra visor and has a higher quality carbon fiber , weighs a little less). The price difference between the M8 and M10 is around what you would spend if you bought a spare visor and the nicer helmet bag. So its like getting the better material shell for free if you buy it over the M8. I have always worn shoei helmets and the Alpinestars helmets fit tighter. I wear a XL in Shoei and 2XL in Alpinestars . But I've also found that Fox and Bell also ran small compared to Shoei and Arai's that I have tried on. I hated the looks of the Alpinestars helmets at first but have grown to like them , and now I do sell them , so I feel like I should include that anytime I talk about them. So people know that could make me biased to saying good things. Not trying to sell anybody on here anything. The Moto 10 is a very nice helmet , I never thought of it the way another poster put it , that you shouldn't buy a helmet you can not afford to crash in. If you crashed tomorrow and can not afford to buy a new Moto10 , I personally would think it would be safer to buy a helmet that cost a little less that You could afford to replace in the event of crashing hard. After a bad crash ,a damaged helmet that cost $920 is not going to be as safe as less expensive helmet that is not damaged. A quality helmet and boots is cheap insurance on your head and feet/ankles. I had a major injury to one of my feet. I came close to amputation. I am thankful for every penny I spent on boots. That extra money was well spent if it made that difference between me having 2 feet still. I have had a few concussions and have some short term memory issues as a result. But that also could have been much worse. I know other people who have seizures and other issues as a result of concussions, so again I am thankful for having been wearing a good helmet everytime I crashed. Hard to say if I would be worse off. But You can not put a price on your brain.And it took me 10 years and many surgeries to get my foot to the point I'm pain free. Those are some of the reasons my shop will not sell some of the lower priced helmets and boots. The Shoei VFX-evo, Moto10, Moto 9, 6d ATR-1 and ATR2, Fly Formula , Thor reflex, Leatt 9.5,8.5 all of Leatts helmets have their special system in them but I would stick to the Carbon and or Fiberglass versions , Fox V3, Arai And some of the TLD helmets are the helmets I would feel comfortable offering for sale, and having a family member ride in. The Astar M10, Shoei VFX-evo , Bell Moto10, 6d ATR-2 the fly formula, Fox V3 and Leatt 9.5 would be my top choices. Not in any order. I would say the one that fits the best is the best helmet . And if you can afford to crash in it is the other factor I would also add into the decision. If the Moto10 fits you well, and you could buy another one if it was damaged tomorrow, Keep it. If you would have to buy a less expensive helmet or ride in the damaged Moto10 then it might be a good idea to return or exchange it. I can not remember which brand or brands offer it , but during my researching of helmets I have seen at least one company offering a prorated discount for crashing soon after a purchase. I know its not Alpinestars ( although we would work with a customer as much as we could if they bought a helmet from us and crashed the next day) . That policy could offer some piece of mind. As far as the boots go, The Gaerne SG12 will outlast the tech 10's.Many of our customers that have had both still prefer the Tech 10 because of the comfort, you can ride right away with less or no break in needed and they feel safer in them than the SG12's. They like them better enough that they do not mind replacing them more often.And then there are some diehard Gaerne wearers too. But the Tech 10 wearers that have tried both ,outnumber the customers who stick to the SG12. That is a small sample of people. Most of them are local Pro level , B level or similar Vet riders that race Motocross and ride multiple times per week , year round. The woods guys are more split up on boot brands. A lot of them like the Sidi boots and Leatt's new boot. They are mostly local Pro level woods racers . And anybody who has had an injury to their foot or ankle always goes with the tech 10. So if your past tech 10s lasted well , I would 100% keep the current ones. I was limited in what boots I could wear because of my foot size and when I was injured the tech10 had not come out yet, I had been able to squeeze into a size 15 tech 8 before , but after the surgeries I'm now a 16 so that limits me to the tech 7 being the best boot for my feet. As long as the tech 10's are comfortable and fit well I would run them. And same on the helmet as long as you are not overextending yourself and the crash it tomorrow questions' answer is you could afford to buy another . Riding Dirtbikes is not a cheap hobby to begin with. Carbon fiber will spread out the energy of an impact better than the polycarbonate/plastic on cheaper helmets so its more than the weight difference. If you do return the Moto10 I would recommend staying with a carbon /fiberglass shell for the best protection. And save money by getting a solid color or last years paint job. Helmet wraps can get you a custom look on a closeout helmet while still saving money sometimes.
TheLsho
Fantasy
874th
9/26/2022 12:22pm
My take on it is, the % more to buy the very best vs almost the best isn't much, and then if you have a crash where you hit your head or hurt something in your lower body, at least you have the piece of mind knowing you bought what's best and most safe for you and your feet/head/body shape. It's a bummer to break an ankle in a tech 7 and miss 6 weeks minimum of riding, life, and probably work when there's always a chance wearing tech 10, Sidis, or something else may have lessened the extent of the injury. It's also not a nice feeling waking up from a snooze knowing you weren't wearing the best lid for yourself. The $300 difference is probably a day or 2 of work, where an injury could cost you dozens of days of work....or more...
zippytech
9/26/2022 12:48pm
Sometimes the best is not always the best for me. I went to get a new pair of boots, and I generally have an amount I am going to spend. So I head out to the iron pony, and they have a higher end pair on sale with a pivoting ankle peace.

I hate them, they squeak so bad you cannot even stand and talk to someone cause if you move that's all anyone hears . I even squirt WD on them to try and shut them up .

I wish I would have got the step-down version I have always got.
9/26/2022 12:52pm Edited Date/Time 9/26/2022 12:52pm
JK BRO wrote:
You look good, you feel good, you ride good. Sport that new gear and stop worrying.

and... Lessons don't come cheap.
100%! I have a set of O'Neil gear I never wear. I threw it on last week and I remembered why. Just had a fit and feel that is awful. I just felt off immediately and subsequently had my worst crash of the summer. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. Never wearing that gear again though
9/26/2022 12:53pm
TheLsho wrote:
My take on it is, the % more to buy the very best vs almost the best isn't much, and then if you have a crash...
My take on it is, the % more to buy the very best vs almost the best isn't much, and then if you have a crash where you hit your head or hurt something in your lower body, at least you have the piece of mind knowing you bought what's best and most safe for you and your feet/head/body shape. It's a bummer to break an ankle in a tech 7 and miss 6 weeks minimum of riding, life, and probably work when there's always a chance wearing tech 10, Sidis, or something else may have lessened the extent of the injury. It's also not a nice feeling waking up from a snooze knowing you weren't wearing the best lid for yourself. The $300 difference is probably a day or 2 of work, where an injury could cost you dozens of days of work....or more...
This!
TalinH112
9/26/2022 1:40pm
Before you return the boots can I wash them?
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
9/26/2022 2:10pm
I really like my M10 helmet but also look at the Fly Formula. I like my tech 10 boots. I just can't get SG12 in a size that fits right. Sidi Atojo is my other boot. It still has good ankle support which the Tech 7 lacks and the soles are replaceable by screwdriver. For me the Tech 10 wear point is the rubber on the side of the boot not the soles. If you go through soles quickly the tech 10 probably won't last. If you want more support than a tech 7 and the SG12 doesn't fit try some Atojos. Some of the EU sites sell Astars closeout stuff cheaper however most won't ship Gaerne or Sidi to the US.
MotofactioN
9/26/2022 5:10pm
I buy most of my gear on sale. Got an A Stars SM8 for like $430. Then got my Tech 7s for like $350? Anyways, you already bought it might as well enjoy it. I bought some ridiculously expensive shift gear and won’t wear it because I tell myself I’m not fast enough to wear it yet lmaooo Grinning
Meister
9/26/2022 5:34pm
The ONLY way you should regret it is if you're neglecting something more important in a monetary sense. (Skipping bills, using credit, not feeding family ect)..

If you're comfy and have a savings, buy the good stuff and enjoy it.

I just sold a brand new pair of tech 10s tho... But that's because I like instincts better.. now I have to decide if I want to buy the new instincts or the old. Lol
Blackie59
Thank you for all the replies, I am a 25 yo Civil Engineer who doesn't race but is a dirt bike and mtb hobbyist these days...
Thank you for all the replies,

I am a 25 yo Civil Engineer who doesn't race but is a dirt bike and mtb hobbyist these days. I ride a 03 yz125 but wanting to upgrade to a yz250 next year.

For those recommending SG12s.. I am a tall lanky guy with skinny feet . I have heard in the past that SG12s are pretty wide, I guess I would need to try one on.

I currently wear a pair of tech 10s that my dad bought be back when I was still racing before college in 2017. They are now just falling apart. But since it is now my dime that is why I am considering downgrading to tech 7s.

my previous helmet was also a Shoei but I was open to trying something different. I'll have to look into the 6D.

Any thoughts on the alpinestars supertech m8 or m10?
I have skinny feet, C width, and the SG12's were like Frankenstein boots on me. Sidi's fit me much better so I got them and never looked back. On the helmet, just get one that fits your head properly. I got a Bell Moto 9 Flex for about $325 on sale from RMATV last year and it fits so I just use it.
Gravel
If you have skinny feet, look at Sidi boots. I’ve got kinda narrow feet, Alpinestars are ok, Gaerne are too wide and Sidis are perfectly snug. The ones with the replaceable soles are supposed to be narrower than the standard sole version, I wear the standard kind.

Last years gear is the best deal, if you can find your size. I don’t need the latest and greatest, I’d rather have last years best stuff for the price of this years medium stuff
opyguy
9/26/2022 6:20pm
Sidi crossfire SRS good for narrow foot
You should be able to find a decent used pair for under 300 ...you can replace the soles when they go bad
I had one pair for eight years
I have a bell Moto nine you could have it for $50 (please don’t downvoteme just trying to help out)
I always buy close out gear- jerseys and pants you can get both combined for 80 bucks
Honestly no reason to spend 900 bucks
ElliotB16
9/27/2022 5:12am
I always buy the mid level gear. Tech 7s , A star m5 helmet and the nicer Onear gear. Hard to drop $900 in a helmet that’ll look roached in a few months
mx317
9/27/2022 5:23am
I like the 6D for the reason that they will repair them after a crash. I had to have the inner eps replaced on mine after a knock out crash. $150 and it was safe again while the other ones would have been a throw away. That’s value to me.
SX_336
9/27/2022 5:38am
Thank you for all the replies, I am a 25 yo Civil Engineer who doesn't race but is a dirt bike and mtb hobbyist these days...
Thank you for all the replies,

I am a 25 yo Civil Engineer who doesn't race but is a dirt bike and mtb hobbyist these days. I ride a 03 yz125 but wanting to upgrade to a yz250 next year.

For those recommending SG12s.. I am a tall lanky guy with skinny feet . I have heard in the past that SG12s are pretty wide, I guess I would need to try one on.

I currently wear a pair of tech 10s that my dad bought be back when I was still racing before college in 2017. They are now just falling apart. But since it is now my dime that is why I am considering downgrading to tech 7s.

my previous helmet was also a Shoei but I was open to trying something different. I'll have to look into the 6D.

Any thoughts on the alpinestars supertech m8 or m10?
I wear Tech 10’s and the SM-10 helmet. LOVE them both. I’ve always worn Tech 10’s. More ankle support and protection than the 7’s. Tried the SG-12’s last year and didn’t like them at all. To wide and to bulky for me.

The two places you should never skimp out on is your feet and your helmet. Never regret spending good money on these two pieces of equipment. I’ve worn it all. I can tell you that the SM-10 and 6D would definitely be on my list of helmets before the Bell. I work and sell this stuff every day. When I say I have tried it all, I’ve tried it all. Just return the Bell and order you a new SM-10. You’ll get about 300.00 back.
PNWMXer
9/27/2022 7:02am
I was a diehard Astars guy until the Tech 10 became their flagship…tried a set and couldn’t stand them, switched to Gaerne (first 10, then 12) and love them.

My current 12s are about 4-5 years old, and I have heard (fwiw) that the newer version is slightly narrower. I could see how a super narrow foot might have excess room, although I will also say that the SG12s don’t seem to get roomier over time like some other boots I’ve tried.
TeamGreen
9/27/2022 7:57am
TeamGreen wrote:
Whoa!

Bell charges $920 for their latest 10?
cwel11 wrote:
Yes and overpriced in my opinion for the weight and build quality
That Bell has some EXCELLENT features and quite a bit of “detail”; but, my point would be this…

I can get a really good MIPS helmet, excellent boots and a complete set of gear…including goggles…
For that amount of money.
9/27/2022 8:15am
mx317 wrote:
I like the 6D for the reason that they will repair them after a crash. I had to have the inner eps replaced on mine after...
I like the 6D for the reason that they will repair them after a crash. I had to have the inner eps replaced on mine after a knock out crash. $150 and it was safe again while the other ones would have been a throw away. That’s value to me.
This is actually huge for me. Really considering going 6D now after reading this thank you!. That program to repair the liner is a super deal. I called Bell and they only offer a 20% discount crash program.
9/27/2022 11:30am
The 6D's are not always rebuildable . But they are the only company offering a service like that.I think that most if not all helmet companies offer inspection services after a crash but 6d is the only one that will rebuild a helmet that can be rebuilt. If the shell is damaged they will not be able to rebuild it and they cut the straps off before returning it. But at that point it would have not been safe to use anyway. I was going to come back and post about the 6d and the program they have when I saw that others had posted about it. The 6d helmets are great helmets and I love that they have helped push helmet tech to a new level. If they fit your head shape and are comfortable I would say they are one of the best. I've never worn one, so my impressions are secondhand . a very small amount of people that I have talked with have told me the 6d did not fit them well and put pressure on their forehead or another area, and was uncomfortable. But many people love them. I wish that there was a truly independent test of all the helmets that could show what types of and how much of the crash energy was reduced . I imagine that there is not a single safest helmet for all types of riding. And that one may excel in some types of crashes while not working as well for other crashes. Maybe someday there will be a Youtube channel that gets big enough to be able to fund such a test, or some rich dude that wants to know ,just to know. I imagine that helmet companies do not want a test like this since they all know that there is not 1 best helmet for every crash, and a helmet that is super safe in one crash may not be as safe in another.I would love to be able to have some solid data to be able to ask a customer a few questions and then have the test data to show them so they know which helmet will really be the safest for them. And be able to sell them a helmet that I 100% know is going to offer the best protection available for them.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
9/27/2022 11:38am
Hey Guys... Recently I just picked up for myself on my birthday a Bell Moto 10 and a pair of Tech 10s. I am having a...
Hey Guys...

Recently I just picked up for myself on my birthday a Bell Moto 10 and a pair of Tech 10s. I am having a little bit of buyers remorse on the purchase considering it was north of $1600...
I am a casual rider and I am wondering if I should return them for less premium gear options like a pair of tech 7s and a plain Shoei-vfx Evo.
I would love to wear the highest end stuff on the market but I'm just not sure if its worth it.
If I were to crash hard in the Bell moto 10 ($900) I could not afford to replace it because I don't got it like that.

What do y'all think?
You bought it for a reason and spent a little more because it was a Bday present to yourself so you must have done the research and you got what you liked so quit 2nd guessing yourself and enjoy the gear that YOU wanted. You will get as many different opinions as there are reply's but it comes down to what YOU want. Buy what you want and don't look back.
walent215
9/27/2022 12:09pm
Meister wrote:
The ONLY way you should regret it is if you're neglecting something more important in a monetary sense. (Skipping bills, using credit, not feeding family ect)...
The ONLY way you should regret it is if you're neglecting something more important in a monetary sense. (Skipping bills, using credit, not feeding family ect)..

If you're comfy and have a savings, buy the good stuff and enjoy it.

I just sold a brand new pair of tech 10s tho... But that's because I like instincts better.. now I have to decide if I want to buy the new instincts or the old. Lol
Buy the old ones
we know you already like them and will save some money!!
philG
9/27/2022 12:18pm
Hey Guys... Recently I just picked up for myself on my birthday a Bell Moto 10 and a pair of Tech 10s. I am having a...
Hey Guys...

Recently I just picked up for myself on my birthday a Bell Moto 10 and a pair of Tech 10s. I am having a little bit of buyers remorse on the purchase considering it was north of $1600...
I am a casual rider and I am wondering if I should return them for less premium gear options like a pair of tech 7s and a plain Shoei-vfx Evo.
I would love to wear the highest end stuff on the market but I'm just not sure if its worth it.
If I were to crash hard in the Bell moto 10 ($900) I could not afford to replace it because I don't got it like that.

What do y'all think?
Holy shitballs. $1600 .

I havent spent that much on helmets and boots in the last 10 years.

That said , with Supermoto i can kill boots in 2 races if the track is right (wrong) .. so Tech 3's are fine for me,

Picked up a Bell for £200 in the winter..

Middle range last years colour , end of season bargains for me, everytime.

But last full season i did $2500 in tyres.

Post a reply to: Buyers Remorse on Expensive Gear

The Latest